• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, now I don't mind returning stages when it's not the only stage representing a franchise. Variety is the spice of life.

Although the part about not wanting to use specific areas from Fire Emblem games because of height smells like some bs. Just add random floating platforms. Works for most stages.

Edit: the stage looks better, somehow, to me than it did in Brawl, but it could just be that I've been staring at the 3DS graphics for too long.

Jawmuncher

See, now I don't mind returning stages when it's not the only stage representing a franchise. Variety is the spice of life.

Although the part about not wanting to use specific areas from Fire Emblem games because of height smells like some bs. Just add random floating platforms. Works for most stages.

Edit: the stage looks better, somehow, to me than it did in Brawl, but it could just be that I've been staring at the 3DS graphics for too long.

It is better but the 3DS part still applies.
So much on that the last 2 weeks I forgot what the WiiU version even looked like.

ALM5252

PotD is up
zlCfzSdK4fELbLcjHV

Here is a comparison from Dolphin (Project M)

Looks like they updated the textures for the main stage and castle. They are much better in the Wii U PoTD. Lighting might have also been improved.

Richie

Oh fuck yeah, Hype for the U version suddenly got a much appreciated shot. The stage looks so damn good...Must be that I've been seeing so much of the 3DS version lately, but I could swear they upgraded it somehow; curiously, the Halberd looked identical back in the Direct. Could it be that they've polished returning stages since? Hope so.

At any rate, this is one of my favorite stages in Brawl, so I'm pleased as punch with its return. Definitely prefer it to Colosseum, which is one of the most boring stages in the series as far as I'm concerned...If it didn't have walk-offs, if the moving platforms weren't so easy to ignore and added nothing, if it had a more exciting background (FE favorites in the crowd, a lá the Animal Crossing stage?), now we'd be talking. Part of me hopes for another new FE stage, but I know having three in total is far from plausible. Oh well, should have a fun Final Destination mode.

And speaking of Final Destination mode, funny to think Castle Siege sort of already included it; its third section fits the bill nicely. Wonder if it'll have a FD version for each section this time around, with the same platform and just the backgrounds changing.

Golnei

Looks like they updated the textures for the main stage and castle. They are much better in the Wii U PoTD. Lighting might have also been improved.

Looking at them side-by-side, there's definitely an improvement. I wonder why Castle Siege got that treatment and not Halberd...perhaps they had higher-quality assets they were unable to utilise in Brawl lying around, that could have been inserted into this version of the stage with minimal effort?

Fiktion

Banned

Lighting is clearly improved. Geometry looks a little different too. I think they rebuilt at least the stage part.

Just noticed that the official Gamecube controllers are listed on Amazon, in Red Mario, White Yoshi and Pink Peach flavours.

gcnctr2.jpg

Release date 14th November, which is a Friday when games are released in the UK. Fingers crossed that could be the release date for the game too.

I fell for this at first, and posted it here - but look at the C stick.. it isn't official. Its third party.

Sakurai said:
Most of the games in the Fire Emblem series have a different unique setting and have fields without much height, so it was hard to narrow down what venues to focus on. Castle Siege and Colosseum are two stages that aren't exclusive to specific games in the franchise.

Fire Emblem content is always welcome, but one wonders what the hypothetical candidates for stages specific to a single game would be, as so many maps in the series follow the same pattern of locales. Grima's back in Awakening comes to mind, but it looks as though Pilotwings and Star Fox already satisfy the quota of inflight stages, and I don't mind the return of one of the finest stages in Brawl.

Sponge

Banned
As happy as I am to have Castle Siege back, I'm still pretty bummed that we still haven't seen a DK stage on the Wii U yet :/

Fiktion

Banned
Fire Emblem content is always welcome, but one wonders what the hypothetical candidates for stages specific to a single game would be, as so many maps in the series follow the same pattern of locales. Grima's back in Awakening comes to mind, but it looks as though Pilotwings and Star Fox already satisfy the quota of inflight stages, and I don't mind the return of one of the finest stages in Brawl.

Grima's Back would be the coolest option, but Sakurai might consider it a spoiler.

I would also have accepted The Mila Tree, or even Grima's Remains. The Dragon's Table could also be interesting. If you wanted to do an actual iconic castle siege, The Future Past would have been a great choice.

She really should have been. Especially with how boring make Robin looks like.

To be fair, if we were to compare both of their supports from their games, I have to say, I think male robin is much more likeable as a person. female robin is cool too though but i'll have to give it to the dude.

Fiktion

Banned
To be fair, if we were to compare both of their supports from their games, I have to say, I think male robin is much more likeable as a person. female robin is cool too though but i'll have to give it to the dude.

Female Robin is more interesting and has more personality.

Male Robin is probably canon in the same way that SumiaxChrom is canon.

Richie

As happy as I am to have Castle Siege back, I'm still pretty bummed that we still haven't seen a DK stage on the Wii U yet :/

You know what's bad? Since the 3DS already has Jungle Japes, Wii U is gonna have either Rumble Falls or 75m as its returning DK stage...Dislike both stages to the point where I'd rather have Jungle Japes repeated on the U. I'd kill for the other DK Melee stage, but that's not feasible...

Grima's Back would be the coolest option, but Sakurai might consider it a spoiler.

That didn't stop him from including Zelda + Sheik, but I find myself agreeing with you.
Fire Emblem Awakening spoiler:
It would be hilarously inappropriate for them to make a stage based on the cliff Emmeryn commits suicide from

Golnei

Any notions of a single unbreakable canon should have died as soon as the Outrealms were introduced. I hope we can recruit four Morgans from different universes as bonus units in the next FE.

Why so? Even Tiki likes Male Robin more than Female Robin. lol

Female Robin seems like the kind of girl that's level headed but can get annoyed pretty easily.

Mariolee

You know what's bad? Since the 3DS already has Jungle Japes, Wii U is gonna have either Rumble Falls or 75m as its returning DK stage...Dislike both stages to the point where I'd rather have Jungle Japes repeated on the U. I'd kill for the other DK Melee stage, but that's not feasible...

I would kill for the return of this stage

stages_dk3.jpg

Sponge

Banned

I'd like a new stage, too. I'm surprised we still haven't seen a Returns stage at all.

Richie

I'll have to try Female Robin once I go back to Awakening, I thought each gender's convos were the same, sans S options where applicable.

Chrom reeeeeaally shows a bit too much affection toward his "friend" Robin, you'd think female Robin is the intended canon.

I'll have to try Female Robin once I go back to Awakening, I thought each gender's convos were the same, sans S options where applicable.

Chrom reeeeeaally shows a bit too much affection toward his "friend" Robin, you'd think female Robin is the intended canon.

There's differences here and there. The support with Tiki or Virion comes to mind but I think there's more. Much more with the 2nd gen kids too.

Golnei

stages_dk3.jpg

Unfortunately, that would require an actual conversion. I wouldn't expect the return of any 64 or Melee stage not appearing in Brawl, but there may be a slight possibility for some to appear as DLC. Even if they only got similar touchups to Castle Siege, stages like Fountain of Dreams or Metal Cavern could look pretty good on the Wii U version.

Richie

stages_dk3.jpg

Funnily enough, if the numerous 3DS playlists aren't lying, its music plays on the 3DS' Jungle Japes. Would love it back too.

I'd like a new stage, too. I'm surprised we still haven't seen a Returns stage at all.

I'm convinced it'll happen. Otherwise that'd mean no new DK stage in either installment of Smash 4 AT ALL; I guarantee we'll have one new DK stage at least.

KHlover

Banned
That didn't stop him from including Zelda + Sheik, but I find myself agreeing with you.
It would be hilarously inappropriate for them to make a stage based on the cliff Emmeryn commits suicide from

Make it walkoff on only one side :p

Richie

Anyone else scared that the Sak' is going to bring back New Pork City or Rumble Falls

it keeps me up at night

If removing Lucas has any potential positive at all, it's that it may make New Pork City less likely to return, given how it repped a game in the series that lost its playable character.

The DK options -are- a cause for concern, though :/

Have the stage at the base and make Emmeryns falling body a stage hazard.

Golnei

I'm convinced it'll happen. Otherwise that'd mean no new DK stage in either installment of Smash 4 AT ALL; I guarantee we'll have one new DK stage at least.

There's no way we won't get one new DK stage. Even Metroid got that much.

Anyone else scared that the Sak' is going to bring back New Pork City or Rumble Falls

it keeps me up at night

At least New Pork City would look good as an Omega stage. Though it'd be unforgivable to prioritise it over Onett, especially since Lucas will never return.

ALM5252

Unfortunately, that would require an actual conversion. I wouldn't expect the return of any 64 or Melee stage not appearing in Brawl, but there may be a slight possibility for some to appear as DLC. Even if they only got similar touchups to Castle Siege, stages like Fountain of Dreams or Metal Cavern could look pretty good on the Wii U version.

Something like this would be cool for Dreamland 64 if it were to return with a whole new modern look.

Though I would expect an official one to look a lot better. :)

Richie

There's no way we won't get one new DK stage. Even Metroid got that much.

At least New Pork City would look good as an Omega stage. Though it'd be unforgivable to prioritise it over Onett, especially since Lucas will never return.

Yeah...and I wouldn't be surprised if Metroid gets two new stages, was one of the four franchises in Brawl that had multiple new ones. Come on, Prime representation...

A scary point in New Pork City's favor is that, with The Ultimate Chimera, it already has an in-built boss, a feature which Sakurai considered notable enough to give it its own section in the Direct. Crossing my fingers for Onett, though!

I want ALL of the N64 stages to come back. I'd be willing to sacrifice the Mushroom Kingdom stage though. Just let me hop along Hyrule Castle and throw people into Charmander's face. That's all I want.

Who else thinks that Mario's pipes will be an usable item in Stage Builder this time around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom