• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

vzb0juk.png

We can end the debate from two weeks ago or so - Donkey Kong in SSB (why did we debate that in the first place lol) is definitely based on the (CGI) anime and not on the games.

That Eddie the Yeti alt only happened in the anime, not in the games :3
LMAO!

That fucking show, I swear

edit: oh god it's stuck in my head

I haven't seen those, honestly.

I remember seeing an Imgur link where people took the full renders from the game (how unannounced characters got their renders released) and I also saw male/female variants and the JP/US colors for R.O.B., so I assume the renders for each character color are out there.

If anyone can link me to a place with pretty complete renders of each color, that would be fine too.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
huh I can't find the link for it....

I remember seeing an Imgur link where people took the full renders from the game (how unannounced characters got their renders released) and I also saw male/female variants and the JP/US colors for R.O.B., so I assume the renders for each character color are out there.

If anyone can link me to a place with pretty complete renders of each color, that would be fine too.

I haven't seen those, honestly.

Wide - Alt 1
Wide-Alt 2
Wide-Alt 3

Neiteio

One if we're lucky.
Sakurai is going to show a DKC super-stage for the WiiU version called Crocodile Isle, which starts out on a Gangplank Galleon the size of Hyrule Temple, with fighting on the shipdeck and on the riggings and mast and below deck in the flooded cargo hold, and then transitions to Krazy Kremland with the rollercoaster tracks and statue supports in the middle, with skull-cart stage hazards whizzing by, and bramble thickets to the left side of the stage, and a beehive with fadeaway cross-section walls, Tomodachi-style, on the right, and then this transitions to Gloomy Gulch, with Squitter running around in the background spinning temporary web platforms in the foreground, as players fight in the moonlit fog and spirits flit in and out of the wilderness, all before rewinding back to Gangplank Galleon.

Also, Dave Wise composes new arrangements of the entire DKC2 soundtrack for this stage, backed by a full orchestra.

*dreamy sigh*

So I've been looking through some of the alternate colors to see which ones I recognize - and for some others, the ones I don't.

All right, this first one is Zelda, I'm pretty sure it's based off of Toon Zelda (AKA the best Zelda design):

yBvPcb3.png
Din7txK.png

And then to match, here's Sheik with some Tetra coloring (though it also may just be another America theme):

R5GAKkX.png
McIJobF.png

This one is pretty clearly based off of Pig Ganon:

ZDpeG2z.png
C9gz3Ws.png

Some of Captain Olimar's/Alph's alternate colors.
Louie (Pikmin 3 design)
fpTDCGw.png
-----
bCCUruR.jpg

Captain Charlie
gc3ALNx.png
-----
vNbuIEc.png

Brittany
3WPWajI.png
-----
dbh9ZBs.png

Classic Olimar
8DA03PH.png
-----
l4nCPU4.png

Why they ignored adding the President's colors is beyond me.
c7CSTJJ.jpg

Ones I'm still not sure about:
I think it's supposed to be a retro color scheme (like the ones for NES and SNES games) but I can't quite place it.
glsSPVS.png

This one really bothers me. It seems really familiar, but I'm not sure if I'm confusing it with Link's sprite in Link to the Past.
H9P4W4q.png
l3Mm7iO.png

Neiteio

Are there any high-quality versions of Bowser's official Smash render that have been edited to depict him in his green colors? I love his green alt.

Neiteio

This one really bothers me. It seems really familiar, but I'm not sure if I'm confusing it with Link's sprite in Link to the Past.
H9P4W4q.png
l3Mm7iO.png
That Bowser color evokes the final Bowser in SM64 for me (what a lot of people call "Gothic Bowser," where he's covered in rainbow hues), but it's not an exact match by any means.

So I've been looking through some of the alternate colors to see which ones I recognize - and for some others, the ones I don't.

All right, this first one is Zelda, I'm pretty sure it's based off of Toon Zelda (AKA the best Zelda design):

yBvPcb3.png
Din7txK.png

And then to match, here's Sheik with some Tetra coloring (though it also may just be another America theme):

R5GAKkX.png
McIJobF.png

This one is pretty clearly based off of Pig Ganon:

ZDpeG2z.png
C9gz3Ws.png

Some of Captain Olimar's/Alph's alternate colors.
Louie (Pikmin 3 design)
fpTDCGw.png
-----
bCCUruR.jpg

Captain Charlie
gc3ALNx.png
-----
vNbuIEc.png

Brittany
3WPWajI.png
-----
dbh9ZBs.png

Classic Olimar
8DA03PH.png
-----
l4nCPU4.png

Why they ignored adding the President's colors is beyond me.
c7CSTJJ.jpg

Ones I'm still not sure about:
I think it's supposed to be a retro color scheme (like the ones for NES and SNES games) but I can't quite place it.
glsSPVS.png

H9P4W4q.png
l3Mm7iO.png

Blonde hair, pink dress Zelda is OoT Zelda.

Well, the purple one is clearly darker than the default, whereas the pink one is clearly lighter. Zelda didn't have a dark purple dress in OoT. She had a pink dress as a child, a pink dress as an adult, and those are the only non-Sheik outfits she wore.

Blonde hair, pink dress Zelda is OoT Zelda.
Zelda has two alternates that have blonde hair.
Zelda_Palette_%28SSB4%29.png

It's not readily apparent from the render, but in game the first one, the one in the middle, looks an awful lot like Zelda as she appears in Ocarina of Time 3DS, where her dress is more of a shade of royal purple than pink.
nHVfoeW.png

The one on the right I'm thinking is supposed to be Melee Zelda, where it was more bright pink.
le78ybs.png

Though it could be Toon Zelda.

Well, the purple one is clearly darker than the default, whereas the pink one is clearly lighter. Zelda didn't have a dark purple dress in OoT. She had a pink dress as a child, a pink dress as an adult, and those are the only non-Sheik outfits she wore.

Yeah, but she's blonde in the dark purple dress, which means she isn't just a color variant of Twilight Princess Zelda. Is there another blonde Zelda she's based off of?

TP Zelda is best Zelda, just saying
In terms of design, it's Toon Zelda, then Twilight Princess, then everybody else.
In terms of character, it's Spirit Tracks Zelda.
Zelda has two alternates that have blonde hair.
Zelda_Palette_%28SSB4%29.png

It's not readily apparent from the render, but in game the first one, the one in the middle, looks an awful lot like Zelda as she appears in Ocarina of Time 3DS, where her dress is more of a shade of royal purple than pink.
nHVfoeW.png

The one on the right I'm thinking is supposed to be Melee Zelda, where it was more bright pink.
le78ybs.png

Though it could be Toon Zelda.
This right here is what I mean. Though the brighter hair makes me think Toon Zelda.

Melee zelda is oot zelda
Yes, but Ocarina of Time 3D Zelda is slightly redesigned and has a dress of a darker shade of purple.

ohepXfm.jpg

This, the darker one, I'm almost 100% certain is supposed to be Zelda from Ocarina of Time 3DS.

0f8h3DT.jpg

This could be many things, I'm leaning on Melee/original Ocarina of Time colors. Or, it could be Toon Zelda. Who knows.

EDIT: That said, the two alts that bother me the most are the aforementioned dull blue Toon Link and the pink-haired Bowser. They look really specific and I'm very certain they're supposed to be based on something but I've never seen a satisfactory answer. That pink-haired Bowser especially, what's up with that one?

Side-by-side:
Ec68geD.jpg
yBvPcb3.png
Din7txK.png

Ec68geD.jpg
DOudNMo.png
Din7txK.png

While not nearly as purple as the one on the bottom, Ocarina of Time Zelda still matches the bottom one more in terms of hair color and dress color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom