• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

Dead.

rsVuXR0.png

I had a dream last night (more of a nightmare actually) that Smash Wii U's release date was announced and it was May 9th.

I'd be emo for the holiday season, it has to release in 2014

hell i might sell my wii u if it gets delayed, after Bayonetta 2 that is, its just smash (captain toad will be bought when discounted)

Roo

Nah, just the FB page acknowledging Fox only, Final Destination. It made me laugh.

It's the "fox only, no items, final destination" meme that sometimes comes up when talking about competitive smash.

Never heard of that meme but I guess it makes sense.
Nintendo actually has been pretty good at acknowledging their fanbase's memes for years now.
"My body is ready", "Directly to you", etc.

So when is Nintendo sending out the Smash4 WiiU demo codes?

Haha a bunch of reviewers just got our review codes for the 3DS version yesterday! It's kinda cool knowing the bulk of the work going on right now is probably on the wii u version.

Does anybody else think it's weird we haven't been told the date yet? If it is coming out in November, like many think, shouldn't we be hearing about that like...now? Haha

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Haha a bunch of reviewers just got our review codes for the 3DS version yesterday! It's kinda cool knowing the bulk of the work going on right now is probably on the wii u version.

Does anybody else think it's weird we haven't been told the date yet? If it is coming out in November, like many think, shouldn't we be hearing about that like...now? Haha

Maybe they are waiting for Smash 3DS to be out for worldwide first before announcing the release date. If people knew that the release date might be very close to 3DS release then majority of people would wait for Wii U version.

While I love a lot of the Final Smashes, I can't help but feel disappointed by others. Here are some that I feel need to change, and some ideas on how to change them.

Copied Final Smashes
Falco: "Personally, I prefer the air" says Falco, getting into a Landmaster. Why he couldn't call an aerial strike is beyond me.
Toon Link: Triforce Slash is already an uninspired, boring Final Smash. Giving it to Toon Link along with Link is just too much. Toon Link should've used the Ballad of Gales, where he plays the song and proceeds to fly up into the air in the King of Red Lions before crashing back down.
Dark Pit: The Dark Pit Staff was never some kind of superweapon in Uprising, so why is it in Smash? Really, they should've incorporated the Lightning Chariot, which Dark Pit used on a few occasions.
Lucina: Honestly, even a visual difference would've been enough to excuse the same Final Smash as Marth. All we needed was some kind of cut-in where she shouts something like she did in Awakening.
Sheik: Using the Light Arrow was fine when she was still part of Zelda, but now that she's apart, she could at least do something different. Maybe use the harp, or something generic based on ninjas.

Original Final Smashes
Rosalina & Luma: "The Final Smash of Minor Annoyance" - maybe they could incorporate the Comet Observatory, or the Galaxy end-game black hole?
Mario: "Let's take the most iconic character in the history of gaming, and just give him some kind of big fireball attack because he uses fire" - they seriously couldn't think of anything from the dozens and dozens of games he's been in?
Link: Once again, Triforce Slash is pretty dull.
Peach: It just seems so boring. Her name is Peach, so she drops peaches. Why not use her... wild emotional changes... from Super Princess Peach.
Mega Man: Kidding, of course. His is perfection.

Probably waiting until the 3DS version is out everywhere...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
While I love a lot of the Final Smashes, I can't help but feel disappointed by others. Here are some that I feel need to change, and some ideas on how to change them.

Copied Final Smashes
Falco: "Personally, I prefer the air" says Falco, getting into a Landmaster. Why he couldn't call an aerial strike is beyond me.
Toon Link: Triforce Slash is already an uninspired, boring Final Smash. Giving it to Toon Link along with Link is just too much. Toon Link should've used the Ballad of Gales, where he plays the song and proceeds to fly up into the air in the King of Red Lions before crashing back down.
Dark Pit: The Dark Pit Staff was never some kind of superweapon in Uprising, so why is it in Smash? Really, they should've incorporated the Lightning Chariot, which Dark Pit used on a few occasions.
Lucina: Honestly, even a visual difference would've been enough to excuse the same Final Smash as Marth. All we needed was some kind of cut-in where she shouts something like she did in Awakening.
Sheik: Using the Light Arrow was fine when she was still part of Zelda, but now that she's apart, she could at least do something different. Maybe use the harp, or something generic based on ninjas.

Original Final Smashes
Rosalina & Luma: "The Final Smash of Minor Annoyance" - maybe they could incorporate the Comet Observatory, or the Galaxy end-game black hole?
Mario: "Let's take the most iconic character in the history of gaming, and just give him some kind of big fireball attack because he uses fire" - they seriously couldn't think of anything from the dozens and dozens of games he's been in?
Link: Once again, Triforce Slash is pretty dull.
Peach: It just seems so boring. Her name is Peach, so she drops peaches. Why not use her... wild emotional changes... from Super Princess Peach.
Mega Man: Kidding, of course. His is perfection.

Well, clones are being last minute additions so of course they had to reused final smashes for all clones instead of making brand new.

Probably waiting until the 3DS version is out everywhere...

Yeah, that makes sense. If it does come out in November though, it's just gonna feel weird reading "Smash Wii U release date revealed, comes out in 4 weeks"

I just hope we get a worldwide release this time around

Ryce

I like Mario's. He's supposed to be a generic all-arounder like Ryu, and the Mario Finale is his version of the Shinku Hadoken. My biggest issue with Mario is the useless F.L.U.D.D.

Golnei

Well, clones are being last minute additions so of course they had to reused final smashes for all clones instead of making brand new.

Aside from Falco and Toon Link not being last-minute in this case, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario both had relatively unique final smashes. They already had cut-ins working for Robin's FS - how difficult would it have been to give Lucina that visual effect, especially seeing as the art is taken directly from Awakening?

SaikyoBro

I like Mario's. He's supposed to be a generic all-arounder like Ryu, and the Mario Finale is his version of the Shinku Hadoken. My biggest issue with Mario is the useless F.L.U.D.D.

I like the Mario Finale but I wish it was more like a giant concentrated blast instead of the two big fireballs that swirl around each other. I get that they want to differentiate it from other giant laser final smashes like the Zero Beam or in SSBB the Triple Finish, but it was pretty bad in Brawl and doesn't look much stronger in this game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Toon Link was not a last-minute addition this time around.

I don't have any excuse for Toon Link but I guess they just leave it alone because he's cartoony Link. :p

Aside from Falco and Toon Link not being last-minute in this case, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario both had relatively unique final smashes. They already had cut-ins working for Robin's FS - how difficult would it have been to give Lucina that visual effect, especially seeing as the art is taken directly from Awakening?

Good point, it would make sense if Chrom appeared in final smash with Lucina but it would take time to change Robin's animations into Lucina's animations.

Dr. Mario's is just visual changed version of Mario's Finale, and Dark Pit's is basically Zelda's.

For Falco, I was pretty sure that he would get Arwing final smash but I guess I was wrong.

I don't have any excuse for Toon Link but I guess they just leave it alone because he's cartoony Link. :p

Good point, it would make sense if Chrom appeared in final smash with Lucina but it would take time to change Robin's animations into Lucina's animations.

Dr. Mario's is just visual changed version of Mario's Finale, and Dark Pit's is basically Zelda's.

For Falco, I was pretty sure that he would get Arwing final smash but I guess I was wrong.

Lucina shouldn't have gotten Robin's Final Smash, but a nice cut-in right before she uses the attack would've been great. Instead we just have Awakening's health bar depleting. Shouldn't have been too hard.
I'm pretty sure the Final Smashes of Link and Toon Link are identical, when even the way the Landmaster works for Fox/Falco and the visuals for Dr. Mario/Dark Pit change. That's a shame.

KHlover

Banned
PWg5e8X.jpg

We can end the debate from two weeks ago or so - Pikachu in SSB (why did we debate that in the first place lol) is definitely based on the anime and not on the games.

Those swirly eyes only happen in the anime, not in the games :3

Golnei

PWg5e8X.jpg

We can end the debate from two weeks ago or so - Pikachu in SSB (why did we debate that in the first place lol) is definitely based on the anime and not on the games.

SSB4-Luigi_Palette_001.png

We can end the debate from two weeks ago or so - Luigi in SSB (why did we debate that in the first place lol) is definitely based on the anime and not on the games.

That yellow shirt only happened in the anime, not in the games :3

We can end the debate from two weeks ago or so - Luigi in SSB (why did we debate that in the first place lol) is definitely based on the anime and not on the games.

At least we finally know that the "green Mario" Luigi outfit isn't actually in the game.

Any Pokemon that says it's own name is referencing the shitty anime.

Neiteio

What's the difference between Luigi #1 and Luigi #3? They both look like they're wearing the same green-and-blue outfit.

EDIT: Ooo, Famitsu screwed up. Should be a yellow Luigi in there at the end.

lAGoA3K.png

vzb0juk.png

We can end the debate from two weeks ago or so - Donkey Kong in SSB (why did we debate that in the first place lol) is definitely based on the (CGI) anime and not on the games.

That Eddie the Yeti alt only happened in the anime, not in the games :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom