• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I anticipate Ridley will be playable in a boss mode in the WiiU version, where one player uses the GamePad to control the boss and the other players (human or CPU) fight against them.

Imagine:

- Petey Piranha
- Koloktos
- K. Rool
- Ridley
- Hades

...and more, all playable in an asymmetric boss battle mode. Would be fun. :)
This would be rage inducingly awful.

Well, quite a few people thought Halberd would be the only Kirby Stage since it was like when Kongo Jungle was shown for the 3DS, which was the only DK Stage.

Castle Siege alleviates that fear a bit, though, since it shows that we're getting a mix of new and retro stages for franchises other than Mario, unlike 3DS.
Yeah, the Castle Siege update is making me feel better. The only (non-R.O.B.) veteran franchise I'm really worried about is F-Zero. Kirby feels fairly likely at this stage and I still do genuinely think Magicant is a shared stage.

Richie

I fear this is still too optimistic, not pessimistic enough. Smash 3DS has shown that past rules of stage representation may not be enough to guarantee a new stage. I still do genuinely fear there may not be a new F-Zero/Earthbound/Kirby stage in the Wii U version. Yoshi, Wario, and Game & Watch are essentially guaranteed, but not sure on the first three I listed.

Though I think Magicant will be shared between the two versions. Mute City I'm less certain on, as it seems more tailored to the 3DS's small resolution. I also don't see F-Zero getting a new stage in both versions when series like Metroid and Donkey Kong can't, so... Not feeling good on a new F-Zero stage for the Wii U version. I certainly hope the 3DS version's Mute City shows up (especially over getting no new stage) but... we'll see.

Still waiting on an actual new Kirby stage to feel good on its chances. I wouldn't think Sakurai would skip out on his own series, and as the game already has a major reference to Return to Dreamland, I would like to think a stage from it would be a given, but... well, we'll see.

I don't see R.O.B. getting a new stage. The pattern you detailed for him doesn't really strike me as a genuine pattern and more just coincidence--Fire Emblem's lack of a stage in Melee seems like something they just didn't get around to, not like R.O.B. which can more easily get away with no stage.

The Pilotwings stage could be seen as a "Mii" stage as it's mostly based on Pilotwings: Resort, where you played as your Mii. So I would think it would count like Tomodachi Life counts.

The Wii U version also seems to have more character repped franchises with a stage of their own unlike the 3DS version which has a lot of holes. It's possible, however, that the new stage count is still comparable to the 3DS version and that the difference came from the multi-repped series. So it's possible there is only one new Zelda stage, for instance, or three Mario stages.

The 3DS version has really re-written the rules for stages if you ask me. Expect even less.

So bare pessimistic minimum, if you ask me, is more like this:

Mario: 3
Zelda/Pokemon: 3
Donkey Kong/Metroid: 2
Star Fox, F-Zero, Earthbound, Yoshi, Wario, Kirby, Animal Crossing, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Game & Watch: 7
Punch-Out!!, Xenoblade, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit....Mii?: 4
R.O.B.: 0
Miscellaneous: 1
Third Parties: 3
Smash Bros.: 2

25, same as 3DS version.

barf

I'll concede R.O.B. is a pretty optimistic guess, and was gonna add something about it being a hope spot among the pessimistic speculation, but forgot to.

Mario has had 4 new stages at least since Melee, and this even includes the 3DS version, so I don't think it's a stretch to take 4 in the Wii U version too. You're very much right that the Pilotwings stage could be taken as a Mii one, though. That they went out of their way to reference the SNES version gives me hope, but you've got a point.

Curious here, why do you think Game & Watch has better chances at a new stage than Kirby does? Earthbound wise, I agree with many here that I can see Magicant being a shared stage. F-Zero....Weell, I'd consider it guaranteed, either as shared with the 3DS version or as a new one. I mean, that veterans on the level of DK/Metroid/Yoshi didn't have a stage in the 3DS version is still a baffling choice, and I really hope it doesn't mean that a series could have a new stage in one version and only a past one in another. I want to believe, but yeah, anything can happen.

The thing here though is that, with 25 original stages for the U, same as the 3DS version, that'd be even less stages than Brawl. And I could understand the 3DS getting away with having a lower stage count, but would Sakurai seriously leave the latest console installment with less new stages than its predecessor? I want to think not.

He is suggesting that we keep an open mind, which is the proper approach.
Exactly

Back when the real leak came out, my posted reaction to it was "no ice climbers, is is so fake, why even bother" and we'll, look how that ended up.
Don't put absolute full faith in a leak, but don't downright dismiss it immediately, just keep it in your mind and think about it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Did we ever apologize for totally raking the Smashboard mods over the coals for standing behind the DHD/Bowser Jr. text rumor? Some of you guys were pretty cruel towards them, and they turned out to be right. :p

Two things that stick out to me in that "leak" are Mewtwo's FS and some of the stage choices. For the former, why would Mewtwo have both of his Mega Evolutions pop up simultaneously?

The stage roster's also rather iffy. I'm guessing "Yoshi's Story" would entail something similar to the N64/Melee versions and we get yet another blend of DK jungle stages. Tourian would be interesting, but that means no MP3 representation. Three new Kirby stages sounds far too good to be true, and sharing the Mute City stage with the 3DS would be lame.

There's also Game & Wario, which would suck hard but I guess they gotta throw in some Wii U representation.

Did we ever apologize for totally raking the Smashboard mods over the coals for standing behind the DHD/Bowser Jr. text rumor? Some of you guys were pretty cruel towards them, and they turned out to be right. :p

LOL

I vaguely recall doing so, but just in case I didn't, sorry Smashboards mods!

I'll concede R.O.B. is a pretty optimistic guess, and was gonna add something about it being a hope spot among the pessimistic speculation, but forgot to.

Mario has had 4 new stages at least since Melee, and this even includes the 3DS version, so I don't think it's a stretch to take 4 in the Wii U version too. You're very much right that the Pilotwings stage could be taken as a Mii one, though. That they went out of their way to reference the SNES version gives me hope, but you've got a point.

Curious here, why do you think Game & Watch has better chances at a new stage than Kirby does? Earthbound wise, I agree with many here that I can see Magicant being a shared stage. F-Zero....Weell, I'd consider it guaranteed, either as shared with the 3DS version or as a new one. I mean, that veterans on the level of DK/Metroid/Yoshi didn't have a stage in the 3DS version is still a baffling choice, and I really hope it doesn't mean that a series could have a new stage in one version and only a past one in another. I want to believe, but yeah, anything can happen.

The thing here though is that, with 25 original stages for the U, same as the 3DS version, that'd be even less stages than Brawl. And I could understand the 3DS getting away with having a lower stage count, but would Sakurai seriously leave the latest console installment with less new stages than its predecessor? I want to think not.
On Game & Watch, I think it's a given because of a couple reasons. One, I don't see any major character based franchise that was previously given a stage to get zero stages period, new or old. Two, I believe Sakurai said that the two versions have a completely different returning stage roster (unless I'm mistaken), so Flat Zone 2 is out. And three, I don't anticipate them pulling stages from Melee unless they were in Brawl, so the original Flat Zone is out. And I guess I doubt that Game & Watch gets zero new stages between both versions. I don't anticipate that happening to any character franchise that has had a stage in the past.

I would consider four Mario stages to be pretty likely. I anticipate there being a new stage based on the original Super Mario Bros., as it seems to be an unwritten rule that every Smash has one (explaining Mushroomy Kingdom's presence in 3DS). And though I think another beyond that is likely, I was trying to be absolutely as pessimistic as possible. If there is another I would bet it'd be based on Mario Kart Wii.

Concerning the last point, yes, we'd all like to think not, but honestly, that's what my thought process was on the 3DS version, and that managed to exceed even my wildest pessimistic imaginings. Sakurai spoke many times that the two versions were intended to be standalone games, but the 3DS version's stage roster does an incredibly piss-poor job of standing on its own, so I think we should be prepared for the possibility that the Wii U version is no more standalone than the 3DS version until proven otherwise.

Two things that stick out to me in that "leak" are Mewtwo's FS and some of the stage choices. For the former, why would Mewtwo have both of his Mega Evolutions pop up simultaneously?

The stage roster's also rather iffy. I'm guessing "Yoshi's Story" would entail something similar to the N64/Melee versions and we get yet another blend of DK jungle stages. Tourian would be interesting, but that means no MP3 representation. Three new Kirby stages sounds far too good to be true, and sharing the Mute City stage with the 3DS would be lame.

There's also Game & Wario, which would suck hard but I guess they gotta throw in some Wii U representation.

Stop! STOP! Your making me believe!

Not really, the Impa & no Event Mode still throws everything off.

Azure J

To be honest I'm slowly beginning to hope that the Tower of Smash dude is right just because of that Impa. Sheik's agility + Zelda's magic sounds like a godlike mixture. It'd also be appreciated for shutting up Ridley and Mewtwo fans once and for all. I'd love a Smash character speculation period where people aren't clamoring for those two + K. Rool just to see who'd be the next new thing. :lol

Neiteio

Regardless of whether that Tower of Smash rumor is true, I do like the idea of a Greenhouse stage for Mr. Game & Watch:

green-house.jpg

To be honest I'm slowly beginning to hope that the Tower of Smash dude is right just because of that Impa. Sheik's agility + Zelda's magic sounds like a godlike mixture. It'd also be appreciated for shutting up Ridley and Mewtwo fans once and for all. I'd love a Smash character speculation period where people aren't clamoring for those two + K. Rool just to see who'd be the next new thing. :lol

What do you want multiple Genos or something?!?

Stop! STOP! Your making me believe!

Not really, the Impa & no Event Mode still throws everything off.

LOL ya, screw Impa.

Another minor note: it also mentions Wind Waker's Forest Haven, which I suppose would make for a pretty stage...yet in the Direct it lists the new Saria's Song arrangement playing on Skyloft. Why not have it play on a forest stage?

Then again, I remember on the Brawl Dojo they initially listed the SMW castle theme for Delfino Plaza before it ended up on Luigi's Mansion, so I guess that could change...if it's real lmao

Kouichi

Smash Tower is my favorite part of that leak. It's a really cool idea for a new mode. Everything else sounds awesome as well, so it'd be great if it ended being true.

LOL ya, screw Impa.

Another minor note: it also mentions Wind Waker's Forest Haven, which I suppose would make for a pretty stage...yet in the Direct it lists the new Saria's Song arrangement playing on Skyloft. Why not have it play on a forest stage?

Then again, I remember on the Brawl Dojo they initially listed the SMW castle theme for Delfino Plaza before it ended up on Luigi's Mansion, so I guess that could change...if it's real lmao

Didn't even see Forest Haven in there.

So this "leak" is suggesting that we have Skyloft and Forest Haven along with all three Zelda stages from Brawl (with two from Wind Waker)?

I'm certain this "leak" is fake.

_Isaac

I'm enjoying the 3DS demo, but it definitely made me realize how poor the ergonomics of the 3DS XL are. My left hand was totally cramping after a few fights. I really don't like that slider. Maybe I'm just getting too into it or something. I might be like those Japanese players who broke their 3ds sliders while playing this game.

Richie

On Game & Watch, I think it's a given because of a couple reasons. One, I don't see any major character based franchise that was previously given a stage to get zero stages period, new or old. Two, I believe Sakurai said that the two versions have a completely different returning stage roster (unless I'm mistaken), so Flat Zone 2 is out. And three, I don't anticipate them pulling stages from Melee unless they were in Brawl, so the original Flat Zone is out. And I guess I doubt that Game & Watch gets zero new stages between both versions. I don't anticipate that happening to any character franchise that has had a stage in the past.

I would consider four Mario stages to be pretty likely. I anticipate there being a new stage based on the original Super Mario Bros., as it seems to be an unwritten rule that every Smash has one (explaining Mushroomy Kingdom's presence in 3DS). And though I think another beyond that is likely, I was trying to be absolutely as pessimistic as possible. If there is another I would bet it'd be based on Mario Kart Wii.

Concerning the last point, yes, we'd all like to think not, but honestly, that's what my thought process was on the 3DS version, and that managed to exceed even my wildest pessimistic imaginings. Sakurai spoke many times that the two versions were intended to be standalone games, but the 3DS version's stage roster does an incredibly piss-poor job of standing on its own, so I think we should be prepared for the possibility that the Wii U version is no more standalone than the 3DS version until proven otherwise.

Good points on Mr. G & W! Forgot its stage in the 3DS version is a returning one too. A Mario Kart stage is likely, and it's curious that the Rainbow Road Medley on the 3DS only uses handheld versions as its basis...I wonder if Doc will get a stage to represent his game, too. It's fun to imagine.

Oh yes, despite being chock full with content in many other regards, the stage count for the 3DS version is the one aspect of the game that you gotta accept as a result of there being two current versions in development. The items, the roster, the modes, the trophies, etc, all are quite meaty for a handheld version of Smash, but the stage count...yeah. Crossing fingers the U version proves to be the step up to Brawl that the 3DS wasn't in that aspect.

Richie

I just realized that, were my dream of the 3DS exclusive stages being DLC for the Wii U and viceversa ever to become true, that'd mean Pac-Man gets 2 new stages, Sonic gets 1 new 1 past, and Mega Man sticks with one. No parity there, diminishes my hope for this :(

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't think anyone would have an issue with the 3DS Stage Count in quantity, I think it's the fact that there's so many re-used stages for franchises.

Like, I'd be perfectly okay with the amount of 3DS Stages, if they cut back Mario, and gave us new DK, Fox, Metroid, and Pikmin stages etc.

I don't think anyone would have an issue with the 3DS Stage Count in quantity, I think it's the fact that there's so many re-used stages for franchises.

Like, I'd be perfectly okay with the amount of 3DS Stages, if they cut back Mario, and gave us new DK, Fox, Metroid, and Pikmin stages etc.

Agreed, even shared stages between the versions would be better. It's just annoying to see Melee stages back for another time without having new stages to rep the series.

Richie

Exactly, skipping on new stages for franchises that have been there since day one really drove the "lackluster" atmosphere home.

You a good point there but I chose to not believe because it sound too good to be true for me.

Back when the ESRB leak first came out, I thought it was fake. However, the biggest thing that pointed to it being real (other than the renders) was how disappointing it was.
This new "leak" is saying "here's all these characters you want, and a whole bunch of stages too!"
It's just unbelievable.

This is only partially true.

Back when the ESRB leak first came out, I thought it was fake. However, the biggest thing that pointed to it being real (other than the renders) was how disappointing it was.
This new "leak" is saying "here's all these characters you want, and a whole bunch of stages too!"
It's just unbelievable.

Pretty much. I can only believe in undesirable leaks, not one that just slaps together every fan favorite character/feature. It's unrealistic, imo.

Drago

http://imgur.com/73yoyiY

That dude who posted the "Tower of Smash" rumor awhile back posted a stage list for the Wii U Version. I'd be thrilled if this list is true.
Jungle Hijinx stage for DK, lol
On the other hand, holy fuck Bramble Blast stage :O

Pretty good stage list overall. I'd be cool with it if it pans out (don't think it will though), looks like a much more well-rounded list compared to 3DS

I'd be far more inclined to believe this if Rumble Falls and New Pork City were among the returning stages.

Out of curiosity, does anyone genuinely believe these leaks to be real, instead of just saying "it could happen..." or something along those lines?

Mr Buddy

http://imgur.com/73yoyiY

That dude who posted the "Tower of Smash" rumor awhile back posted a stage list for the Wii U Version. I'd be thrilled if this list is true.

Pretty good list! i'd definitely be happy if this was legit. Choosing Nimbasa city though kind of has me skeptical though. I could see them incorporating the ferris wheel in it, but I think that Castelia city would be a much more likely pick outside of N's Castle (which is on 3ds)

Lunar15

Why is Endless Ocean listed there twice?

Also, I don't see the need for the new animal crossing stage and smashville. They're pretty much the same thing, for the most part.

I think

a Pokemon World Tournament stage would make a neat second Wii U Pokemon stage

It'd be the new stage in the Pokemon Stadium line, but based on an actual location this time. Plus, it'd allow for lots of music and cameos from all generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom