• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see a roster where the clones move w/ their franchises

Pit/palu/dark pit look so good together, with pit looking left, palutena looking forward, and dark pit looking right.

And seriously, what's with Yoshi's placement?

I know it's a minor thing, but my god, it's annoying.

Yes I'm aware he's a part of the Mario Universe, but why does he have his own icon then?

No it's not. The ESRB leak was real to all but the die hard deniers the minute the Tomadachi stage details came out. As soon as one (non retro) stage is revealed the leak will be fairly credible.
The matching apartment pic was credible because it was a picture. Text leaks are inherently less credible than picture leaks.
It depends on the stage that's confirmed. If it's something like a stage from Nintendo Land I don't think it would be any more credible than it already is. However, if we get one of those really out-of-left-field stages confirmed, it will get more credible.
.....Do you know something?
No, I just think this leak is too good to be true. Five fan requested characters? 55 stages? It's too much.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Is that the one where people were putting eyepatches on things? At least I think that was the SBF OT. I don't know why that happened either. I only glance at the OT every once in a while for some reason despite loving the best friends and their content.

Whoops, meant OT3 and no that wasent the eye patch one, it was something far darker that we're choosing to forget now

Platy

You would need a second page or a more major restructure of the screen, you forgot Mii Fighters taking up a tile.

C'mon dude there's high quality shots of the full roster to work from you don't need to use the crappy leak pics anymore.

That said, people datamined 'next page' and 'previous page' buttons for char and stage select so who knows.

ridley will never be playable

I wanted to have something crap that I could move freely ... that roster program don't have a "replace" or "line" moving tool like photoshop xD

i4v467FmRbygO.jpg

If this is any chance .. I would say that Chorus Men has the least chance of being playable, for the fact that he is 3 characters AND that he is where the mii fighters should be.

Sorry, that channel isn't deaf friendly for me, so you have to explain to me in texts.

The GameXplain dude recorded the treehouse stream and saw that there are Star Fox Assault and Star Fox 64 3D voice actors in the 3ds credits.
No Sign of the Xenoblade enemy, so it is not listing the credits to both version, so he thinks that linking will give the 3ds AT LEAST some of the stages, wich would use the arrow graphic that was found

RagnarokX

I get home from work and turn on irc and friggin rizon says I'm akilled because they think my host matches a bot pattern. How ridiculous.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
There's 3 sets of Star Fox voice actors, 1 set from Adventures, 1 from Assault, & 1 from SF643D.

The GameXplain dude recorded the treehouse stream and saw that there are Star Fox Assault and Star Fox 64 3D voice actors in the 3ds credits.
No Sign of the Xenoblade enemy, so it is not listing the credits to both version, so he thinks that linking will give the 3ds AT LEAST some of the stages, wich would use the arrow graphic that was found

Perhaps, Lylat Cruise stage might be available through DLC.

The matching apartment pic was credible because it was a picture. Text leaks are inherently less credible than picture leaks.
It depends on the stage that's confirmed. If it's something like a stage from Nintendo Land I don't think it would be any more credible than it already is. However, if we get one of those really out-of-left-field stages confirmed, it will get more credible.

No, I just think this leak is too good to be true. Five fan requested characters? 55 stages? It's too much.

Smash 64 had 9
Melee had 29 stages, adding 20 from 64's total
Brawl had 41 stages, adding 12 from Melee's total
Smash 4 could have 55 and add 14 from Brawl, which looking at past additions isn't that crazy, especially when a number of those additions come from retro stages.

Especially when Smash 4's stages can borrow heavily from the source material (like Skyloft, Garden of Hope and Pyrosphere)

There's also 3 games worth of music to throw in to pad out music choices. Non-returning Brawl stages will be targets to have their music distributed between various levels, making the music count on each stage still reasonable with less work.

Smash 64 had 9
Smash 4 could have 55 and add 14 from Brawl, which looking at past additions isn't that crazy, especially when a number of those additions come from retro stages.

Especially when Smash 4's stages can borrow heavily from the source material (like Skyloft, Garden of Hope and Pyrosphere)

There's also 3 games worth of music to throw in to pad out music choices. Non-returning Brawl stages will be targets to have their music distributed between various levels, making the music count on each stage still reasonable with less work.

time is split with the 3DS version, so it's not like Wii U will get all the stages

Smash 64 had 9

You are ignoring the most important Smash game here: the 3DS version. Fewer new stages than Melee, fewer stages in general than Brawl. With the roster parity already in place, and split focus, I doubt the Wii U version will get 55.

Smash 64 had 9

There's already 21 new stages for the 3DS title though.

time is split with the 3DS version, so it's not like Wii U will get all the stages

A bunch of levels are borrowed from Smash 3DS, plus more than a third of the stages in the 3DS are retro levels. When you boil down to levels that are 100% new and 100% exclusive to the 3DS, the number isn't really all too much if you toss them into the total stage count. It still remains around what Melee added for Stages, and most of those stages had full orchestrated soundtracks, less resources on the Melee team, the inability to port resources from games because they were all SNES or N64 resources. And yet they managed to add 26 entirely new stages and 3 retro stages.

Smash 4 has the ability to port resources from GCN, Wii and Wii U titles. This saves a ton of work. Like, chances are Sky Loft was shown very early because it was just that easy to create.

We also haven't seen the phrase "most stages will have a final destination" come into play. This may be relevant to the Wii U, where resources were more spent on new stages instead of FD of all stages.

A bunch of levels are borrowed from Smash 3DS, plus more than a third of the stages in the 3DS are retro levels. When you boil down to levels that are 100% new and 100% exclusive to the 3DS, the number isn't really all too much if you toss them into the total stage count. It still remains around what Melee added for Stages, and most of those stages had full orchestrated soundtracks, less resources on the Melee team, the inability to port resources from games because they were all SNES or N64 resources. And yet they managed to add 26 entirely new stages and 3 retro stages.

Smash 4 has the ability to port resources from GCN, Wii and Wii U titles. This saves a ton of work. Like, chances are Sky Loft was shown very early because it was just that easy to create.

We also haven't seen the phrase "most stages will have a final destination" come into play. This may be relevant to the Wii U, where resources were more spent on new stages instead of FD of all stages.

???
For Glory is gonna be on Wii U too presumably

We haven't seen Corneria in the localized release, right? Maybe they rerecorded the old dialogue with Assault/SF643D actors for w/e reason.

Couldn't stand Rare's Slippy/Peppy voices anyway, so that'd be a plus for me.

Edit: Wait, was the NOA stream playing the JP version? If so, disregard what I said lol

georly

In my mind, sakurai would put palutena and kirby in the middle, like so:

1xdj2Y3.png

With everything revolving around them. Put dr mario in top row, and all 9 are mario characters, w/ yoshi smack dab in the middle, diving them in twain!

Dixie, impa, ridley, and mewtwo subject to change, of course.

There's already 21 new stages for the 3DS title though.

There are 16 levels not shared with the Wii U version. Of these, how many have 100% unique art assets?

Probably less than 5.

Something like Golden Plains probably wasn't that much work for them to put together since it uses 100% of its art directly ripped from NSMB 2.

???
For Glory is gonna be on Wii U too presumably

Yes, and the direct said "most stages have a final destination"

ALL stages so far have a Final Destination. Even Final Destination has a Final Destination! We haven't seen one that doesn't. Why would they say that unless a few do not on the Wii U version?

Crocodile

Only Smash could generate rumors about new characters when the game JUST came out :p
I mean I get that there are two different versions but thread discussion has been dominated for weeks now by "leaks". It's a bit funny :p

1xdj2Y3.png

With everything revolving around them. Put dr mario in top row, and all 9 are mario characters, w/ yoshi smack dab in the middle, diving them in twain!

That would be such epic placement.

Palutena would be right in the middle staring at us, as Pit and Dark Pit are beside her.

1xdj2Y3.png

That's fine for the most part. Although I'd swap R.O.B.'s, Mr. G&W's and DHD's positions with Villager, Pikmin and Shulk since the bottom row seems to fit better for retro/gaming accessories/3rd parties reps(Mr. G&W- G&W, R.O.B.- ROB, WFT- Balance Board, DHD- Zapper).

georly

That's fine for the most part. Although I'd swap R.O.B.'s, Mr. G&W's and DHD's positions with Villager, Pikmin and Shulk since the bottom row seems to fit better for retro/gaming accessories/3rd parties reps(Mr. G&W- G&W, R.O.B.- ROB, WFT- Balance Board, DHD- Zapper).

Yeah, the solo franchise don't matter so much to me, those can go anywhere. I put DHD where he was so that the whole row would be animals :)

It's not actually the stage count that gets me, it's the inclusion of a fifth character, because it breaks the css and forces a second page, while four would fit cleanly.

Neoxon

1xdj2Y3.png

Where's the Chorus Kids?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

1xdj2Y3.png

Why people decided to toss Impa in the roster. There are two different sources/rumors that said only Ridley, Dixie, Chorus Kids and Mewtwo. Only that Wii U leak had Impa, which isn't believable.

Platy

...anyone have easy acess to Brawl to test something ?

If you are using a wiimote with the INTERNAL SPEAKER UP, does the star fox radio transmissions come from the wiimote speaker ?

That would explain the actors, since you can use the 3DS as a controller for the wiiu version ....

georly

Where's the Chorus Kids?

Why people decided to toss Impa in the roster. There are two different sources/rumors that said only Ridley, Dixie, Chorus Kids and Mewtwo. Only that Wii U leak had Impa, which isn't believable.

Hence my line at the end:

They could be anything, for all I care.

I think all 9 top row being mario, and then palu/kirby being center of 3rd and 4th row respectively, are all that matter.

I put impa in because I have a zelda bias, but it could easily be chorus kids. Same w/ mewtwo, that could be wolf, for all I care.

Clefargle

B-but, ssshhhhhhhhh.... Let me have this while it lasts Heath.
I need more SS Impa in my life.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well, I don't mind to see playable Impa as well. It would be even amazing if they are going to do Hyrule Warrior movesesets for Impa. :p

(I know it wouldn't happens)

1xdj2Y3.png

I'd say the top row goes:
Dr. Mario - Mario - Luigi - Peach - Bowser - Bowser Jr. - Rosalina - Yoshi - Wario
That way Yoshi isn't splitting up the Mario series, the two side-series go on the side, Dr. Mario is to the left of Mario (like he was in Melee), Bowser Jr. is with his papa, and everyone from Mario and onwards is in chronological order.

Then make the buttom row like this:
Mr. Game & Watch - R.O.B. - Duck Hunt - Wii Fit Trainer - Pac Man - Mega Man - Sonic - Mii Fighters
So that the row would go Nintendo peripheral stuff (in chronological order) and then third party characters.

Other than the Mario side-series top row, every 2+ character series is in chronological order right?

Speaking of leaks, I find the timing of the '3DS to Wii U transfer = additional characters' leak to be pretty damn convenient coming right after the final roster was confirmed through early copies of the game. Desperation, man.

Unless if that "leak" was posted before the final roster was officially confirmed, then I retract my statement entirely. ...Except the desperation part.

What I really don't get is why, with a 49 character roster, he didn't do something like 7x7 (without random) or 5x10 (with random) instead of making the weird funnel shape that leads to empty slots and an empty row.
If the Wii U version doesn't have the odd Yoshi placement and the clone corner, I would be very happy. Those are my two main complaints with the way the roster is laid out right now.
I know I've hated on Dark Pit a lot in the past, but I probably would've liked him a lot more if he "provided backup" for Palutena in the character select screen. Shoving him into the corner makes it seem like he is something to be ashamed of, along with Lucina and Doctor Mario.

georly

I'd say the top row goes:
Dr. Mario - Mario - Luigi - Peach - Bowser - Bowser Jr. - Rosalina - Yoshi - Wario
That way Yoshi isn't splitting up the Mario series, the two side-series go on the side, Dr. Mario is to the left of Mario (like he was in Melee), Bowser Jr. is with his papa, and everyone from Mario and onwards is in chronological order.

Then make the buttom row like this:
Mr. Game & Watch - R.O.B. - Duck Hunt - Wii Fit Trainer - Pac Man - Mega Man - Sonic - Mii Fighters
So that the row would go Nintendo peripheral stuff (in chronological order) and then third party characters.

Other than the Mario side-series top row, every 2+ character series is in chronological order right?

No way top left isn't mario! I know it was in melee, but that's because of the way clones appeared on the CSS in that game. In this 'characters shift around' world of CSS, mario is top left!

Speaking of leaks, I find the timing of the '3DS to Wii U transfer = additional characters' leak to be pretty damn convenient coming right after the final roster was confirmed through early copies of the game. Desperation, man.

Unless if that "leak" was posted before the final roster was officially confirmed, then I retract my statement entirely. ...Except the desperation part.
There was a list that had those four along with Duck Hunt, Bowser Jr, and the rest when those leak lists originally came out, but it was from a different source. The rumor only really started once the final roster was confirmed, and someone was confused because they thought those four were a lock, since their friend new about moving models for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom