• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps he didn't want to waste our time.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

*laugh track begins*
*laugh track doubles; laughter increases to include intermittent cheers and applause*
*the laugh track swells further, swallowing all other sound; it is an ocean of white noise*
*the laughter no longer sounds like laughter; it is folded over onto itself so many times it is a deafening hum that oscillates and strains the sound barrier; glass begins to shatter*
*face melts*

Zubz

Banned
Let's try this: do you all think we will get a Smash Direct before the Wii U release?

I'd hope we would, but I'm honestly not sure if we'd get another.

It would make no sense at all for the hypothetical Ice Climbers DLC to be N3DS only, why force roster parity and then fragment your handheld audience like that?

True, but I don't see nearly as much of a problem letting them be on the Wii U and not the 3DS. The 3DS version can play against other 3DS versions; the Wii U version can't fight the 3DS version, so I see no reason not to let it have the Ice Climbers back.

zlCfzSeKWCsOr5wCbx

Pic of the day. Master Hand's glove rips open, and a mysterious substance we're calling the swarm, er, swarms out. The amount of this substance determines the shape of your final opponent, and you will have to launch it away in small clusters at a time. The higher your intensity, the denser the substance will be.

Oh, early AND interesting (Master Core was one of the few things I was trying to avoid spoilers for, but oh well).

J@hranimo

Banned
zlCfzSeKWCsOr5wCbx

Pic of the day. Master Hand's glove rips open, and a mysterious substance we're calling the swarm, er, swarms out. The amount of this substance determines the shape of your final opponent, and you will have to launch it away in small clusters at a time. The higher your intensity, the denser the substance will be.

Oh, uh....well then!

It's not a menu PotD, so that's good :)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Apparently people found texts/files on Wii U connectivity section.

Nothing about new characters. Just a lot of messages about customization characters, 3DS controller (wireless, failure, etc) and failure to connect.

Credit to Burb @ Smashboards for discovering it.

SMASH
Smash Run
Games
& More
Challenge
Wii U
StreetPass
Test your skills in classic Smash!
Challenge the CPU or nearby players.
Connect to the Internet, and test your
skills against your friends and the world!
Collect boosts in a vast labyrinth
to prepare for an epic final battle!
Solo and group games, plus Training,
custom fighters, the Vault, and more!
Take on challenges and win prizes!
Connect to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
A StreetSmash of epic proportions!
Defeat your rivals and win prizes!
Challenges
Notifications
Shop
/
!
Connect to a Wii U
 Look for Wii U
Searching for nearby Wii U consoles...
Found
Wii U consoles!
 Search again
Connecting to 촀's
Wii U console...
Connected to 촀's
Wii U console.
is available!
is connected.
Please wait for the Wii U console.
Tap to select an option.
Disconnect
Allow copying of customized characters?
No
Yes
Go to the Nintendo 3DS connection
screen in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
Wii U
You can exchange custom fighters or use
your Nintendo 3DS as a Wii U controller.
Copying of customized characters disabled.
Copying of customized characters enabled.
Found a Wii U console!

Duderz

Banned

Nothing about new characters. Just a lot of messages about customization characters, 3DS controller (wireless, failure, etc) and failure to connect.

It's really past time for people to let go of this.

Gleethor

Really doesn't change anything, if characters are unlocked via connectivity they would likely need to be downloaded from the internet, so that functionality would just be patched in anyway.

Zubz

Banned

Well, this might've killed the dream... *sigh*

Gonna post the clean image and go fall asleep

daily-en_20140923_iyk9t.jpg

I will say, though, it's odd that he's calling it "the swarm" and not "Master Core". Should the Core really only be the final form, and the entire boss fight be "The Swarm" instead?

Ah, whatever. *snore*

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world

Well, I'll be damned :(

Gleethor

Well, I'll be damned :(

Again, doesn't really prove anything at all. I'm not saying that there will 100% be extra content for linking both versions of the game, but if there is it won't actually be stuff that is currently stored within the game. Most likely it will be patched in day and date with the Wii U version release or maaaybe slightly before.

FSLink

Banned
Really doesn't change anything, if characters are unlocked via connectivity they would likely need to be downloaded from the internet, so that functionality would just be patched in anyway.

Usually games would have text and stuff already supporting this, especially if it's a planned feature.

I do think there will be DLC but DLC due to Wii U connectivity seems slim.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
OMG UNMARKED SPOILERS! REPORT VIOLATION REPORT VIOLATION!

Spoilers: You can't actually report his post.

I could see us getting a WiiU Direct in November.
But really if the rumored 21 November release is real. I don't think they would use a direct to announce it. Really curious why they are waiting on saying anything. Wonder if the amiibos are causing problems.
If they delay the Wii U version because of the amiibos, I would be so pissed.

It's not Smash, but it is DLC-related.
zlCfzSeLSR0XoU2wJw-656x369.jpg

Mario Kart DS’s popular vehicle, “B Dasher” will be available on DLC Pack 1. 4 vehicles will be included in the DLC Pack 1, and “B Dasher” will be one of them. “B Dasher” is a top speed oriented vehicle for circuit. Have fun!

My guess is they want the 3DS version to come before announcing the release date. We will probably get a Fall Direct announcing Toad for November and Smash U for December. It will be really dumb to not have a Direct in Oct. since they are both scheduled for Q4 and we have zero clue about release date.

Indeed, while I am bummed Chorus Kids got cut ... I came to terms with it. Some people need to let it go.

My guess is they want the 3DS version to come before announcing the release date. We will probably get a Fall Direct announcing Toad for November and Smash U for December. It will be really dumb to not have a Direct in Oct. since they are both scheduled for Q4 and we have zero clue about release date.

Indeed, while I am bummed Chorus Kids got cut ... I came to terms with it. Some people need to let it go.
No way smash skipping black friday

Wouldn't be surprised if those characters were unlocked via connectivity originally, but then Iwata came in and said "the fuck are you doing, make those losers DLC" and here we are.

Also that 4chan "leak"/make-believe would pretty much give every character in the game their own stage to call home, which is neat

Hatchtag

Banned

The text wouldn't have stuff about new characters like it would for stages. When you select a character, there's no blurb about them on the bottom. When you select a stage, there is.

I'm very confident this game will have at least stage DLC and probably character DLC, though I'm not sure how it will go about doing so.

not so sure about that.

Yeah, they really do not want to rush it. Captain Toad is going to hurt if it misses Black Friday, so that is why I think Nintendo will give it priority. It would be neat if we get both games in November, but who knows. Amiibo and Smash will sell no matter when it comes out.

KHlover

Banned
Yeah, they really do not want to rush it. Captain Toad is going to hurt if it misses Black Friday, so that is why I think Nintendo will give it priority. It would be neat if we get both games in November, but who knows. Amiibo and Smash will sell no matter when it comes out.

Yes, but Smash will move much more consoles than Captain Toad ever will. Smash also will have higher upfront sales with Black Friday just the week after relaese. There's also the fact that Captain Toad already is delayed to 2015 in Europe, so in a choice between Captain Toad and Smahs in November would be pretty obvious - SMAAAAAAAAAASH

Your post was a joke post anyways, right?

Your post was a joke post anyways, right?
Nope because Smash really does not need Black Friday in anyway to sell itself. Melee and Brawl did not rely on Black Friday. When NOE releases does not reflect NOA. Heck, there was zero reason why NOA delayed Layton x Ace Attorney 6 months.

All Mario games for Wii U have came out during November as of late. There is little doubt Captain Toad is getting a November release in the US. Smash is going through a debug phase and it depends on how quick they will finish it. My guess is the debugging phase will be at least 1 month, so it is probably late November if Smash has any chance.

CassSept

Smash does not need Black Friday to sell, sure, but Nintendo needs Smash to sell boatloads asap, they can't go into Black Friday with Wii U with Captain freaking Toad, sorry.

DrStiles

People also won't buy a Wii U on Black Friday because Smash will be out soon but they will if Smash is already out. And that's what Nintendo really needs: the Wii U to sell.

Smash does not need Black Friday to sell, sure, but Nintendo needs Smash to sell boatloads asap, they can't go into Black Friday with Wii U with Captain freaking Toad, sorry.

The best outcome will be Captain Toad in the first week of November (7th) with Smash a few weeks later I agree (21st according to rumors). However, this is Nintendo we are talking about. They are one to throw rationality out the window and release Wii U Music.

georly

I really thought that he was going to keep that a secret.

He didn't use the name of the boss, nor show any of his forms, just show people that there's an additional form of master/crazy hand that they might not have been aware of (because they've only been playing classic on a lower difficulty). I think anything lower than 6 doesn't have it appear.

That said, I didn't know about it, I went in blind, and when it transformed, it kinda blew me away a little. So, that was a nice surprise.

KHlover

Banned
Nope because Smash really does not need Black Friday in anyway to sell itself. Melee and Brawl did not rely on Black Friday. When NOE releases does not reflect NOA. Heck, there was zero reason why NOA delayed Layton x Ace Attorney 6 months.

All Mario games for Wii U have came out during November as of late. There is little doubt Captain Toad is getting a November release in the US. Smash is going through a debug phase and it depends on how quick they will finish it. My guess is the debugging phase will be at least 1 month, so it is probably late November if Smash has any chance.

Smash doesn't need Black Friday to sell, but WiiU needs Smash in order to sell on Black Friday, which is why we will see Smash release before/at Black Friday.

emb

That said, I didn't know about it, I went in blind, and when it transformed, it kinda blew me away a little. So, that was a nice surprise.
I was thinking of that when I first saw it on stream. Like, oh man I'd be going crazy if he surprised me with that while I was playing.

Smash doesn't need Black Friday to sell, but WiiU needs Smash in order to sell on Black Friday, which is why we will see Smash release before/at Black Friday.

I totally agree with you on that point. Hopefully we get both games in November and call it a day.

georly

It was a far-fetched concept to begin with. There's no way it's happening.

I'm all for the concept of 'reward players who bought both, but don't punish those who only bought one'

So you make DLC 10 bucks for X amount of content *OR* it's free if you bought both copies.

Nobody loses out on the content, and players who forked over $100+ for both games get rewarded for their loyalty.

JCX

Yep Nintendo would be foolish to skip Black Friday for smash. Use the consumerist frenzy to drive more Wii U sales.

I'm all for the concept of 'reward players who bought both, but don't punish those who only bought one'

So you make DLC 10 bucks for X amount of content *OR* it's free if you bought both copies.

Nobody loses out on the content, and players who forked over $100+ for both games get rewarded for their loyalty.

Even if it was done that way, it's still tossing a certain group aside because some other guys got both versions. They shouldn't have to pay while another group gets it all for free. Yes, it would technically not be version exclusive content that way, but it seems like a pretty bs thing for Nintendo to pull.

That said, I wouldn't be all that surprised if it were done that way, but 3DS to Wii U transfer with exclusive characters for only one set of people is not happening.

I also don't see why it's so hard to just believe that the roster we know is the final one for BOTH versions, and that additional characters will be added after both versions have released in all regions. Is it that hard to wait? Lol. We'll get new characters at some point anyways. This leak just sounds like something some person unable to accept the final roster for what it is stirred up after seeing that his favorite character(s) weren't in.

Again. I could be wrong. I have NO idea what Nintendo's going to pull to give 3DS owners a reason to by the Wii U version, but this is just... meh. Also, paying whatever amount of money for the DLC > paying $60 for the Wii U version (and a Wii U?) for free DLC. The Wii U version would hardly benefit from that. :x

georly

Even if it was done that way, it's still tossing a certain group aside because some other guys got both versions. They shouldn't have to pay while another group gets it all for free. Yes, it would technically not be version exclusive content that way, but it seems like a pretty bs thing for Nintendo to pull.

That said, I wouldn't be all that surprised if it were done that way, but 3DS to Wii U transfer with exclusive characters for only one set of people is not happening.

I also don't see why it's so hard to just believe that the roster we know is the final one for BOTH versions, and that additional characters will be added after both versions have released in all regions. Is it that hard to wait? Lol. We'll get new characters at some point anyways. This leak just sounds like something some person unable to accept the final roster for what it is stirred up after seeing that his favorite character(s) weren't in.

Again. I could be wrong. I have NO idea what Nintendo's going to pull to give 3DS owners a reason to by the Wii U version, but this is just... meh. Also, paying whatever amount of money for the DLC > paying $60 for the Wii U version (and a Wii U?) for free DLC. The Wii U version would hardly benefit from that. :x

Eh I mean, you saved 40-60 bucks by only buying ONE version and not the other. Sure you don't get the second game, but any redundant overlap is what you're saving on. Then, you only have to pay for DLC and 1 game, which is still cheaper (hopefully) than buying 2 games (for 2 separate systems, one of which you may not own).

If DLC is 10 bucks, for example, and you only buy 3DS version, you could pay, at minimum, 140 bucks (w/ 2DS on sale) + 10, for 150. To buy both, it'd be that 140 + Wii U + smash (~300 + 60), so $500. Sure, some people already have both systems for other games, but you're still saving 40-60 by not buying the other one. To some people it may be worth it to just get one game + dlc.

I have no problem with rewarding people who own both systems and are buying ~$100+ of smash bros (mainly because i'm one of those people). It's not really much different from the whole 'discount on a season pass of DLC' promotion, where maybe each DLC is 10 bucks, or 25 bucks if you buy all 3 together. You're rewarding people who are loyal/willing to pay more up front. You're also not excluding people who just want ONE version of the game (or in the season pass scenario, only want ONE DLC pack). Sure, they're screwed over if they EVENTUALLY buy the 2nd one, but that's no different than someone who EVENTUALLY buys the other DLC packs in the season pass scenario.

I'm all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom