• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatchtag

Banned
So, let's assume Ice Climbers become DLC. What do you think they'll do?
1) Wii U exclusive
2) Works on both systems through a complete mastery of computer science, Sakurai wins a noble peace price
3) Wii U works as traditional, 3DS has SoPo
4) Both versions have SoPo
5) "Works" on both systems, but causes lag/fps issues when playing anything more than 1v1 no items

Speaking of leaks, I find the timing of the '3DS to Wii U transfer = additional characters' leak to be pretty damn convenient coming right after the final roster was confirmed through early copies of the game. Desperation, man.

Unless if that "leak" was posted before the final roster was officially confirmed, then I retract my statement entirely. ...Except the desperation part.

The leak will be dis-comfirmed at the moment someone connects his 3DS and WiiU, transfer all the characters to WiiU, and a challenge shows up "all playable characters unlocked".
hope not.

Ryce

An old post that's relevant to the DLC/leak discussion:

I don’t truly believe in any of the DLC leaks because I don’t want to end up disappointed, but there’s something worth noting about the Spainkiller/4chan characters.

My biggest complaint about the current character select screen is that it lacks any kind of harmony. There’s a degree of chronology, but the thematic links present in Brawl’s select screen are gone. It just doesn’t “feel” right. However, by putting the clones where they belong and adding the rumored characters, the select screen really comes together and makes a ton of sense.

Here’s what I mean:

kWEs6xj.png

• The top half of the select screen started in the ‘80s, and the bottom half started in the ‘90s/‘00s. The only exception is the Yoshi and Wario series, but they sort of need to be with the Mario characters.
  • The DK characters fall under their Mario counterparts — the protagonists are together, and so are the male/female sidekicks.
  • There’s a sort of R&D1 “bracket” consisting of Dr. Mario, Wario, G&W, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt.
  • The Metroid and Kid Icarus sister series are together.
  • Pit is under Link (bow-wielding heroes), and Palutena is under Zelda (titular mages).
  • Palutena and Kirby are the centermost characters. Kirby has a history of being in the middle of Smash Bros. select screens.
  • Fox is under Duck Hunt. This isn’t very significant, but they’re both canines. You could even extend this link since Falco is a bird.
  • All of the RPG series (Fire Emblem, Pokémon, Mother, Xenoblade) are touching.
  • The psychic characters are together — Mewtwo and Ness.
  • Captain Falcon is below Fox — they share a universe.

1) Wii U exclusive
2) Works on both systems through a complete mastery of computer science, Sakurai wins a noble peace price
5) "Works" on both systems, but causes lag/fps issues when playing anything more than 1v1 no items

Available on both systems. Completely botched moveset (Nana and Popo are separate).

1) Wii U exclusive

Works on WiiU and New 3DS.

georly

1) Wii U exclusive

6) Works on Wii U and N3DS only. If you have a regular 3ds, you can fight against them, but not as them.

I refuse sopo. Refuse. Might as well be 'mii hammer fighter' for all i care.

A week or so ago I made a quick roster mockup with the Spainkiller characters added and the clones put where they belong:

kWEs6xj.png

Very similar to my ideas, but more thought out. I love it.

Palu/kirby middle, always!

Roo

1) Wii U exclusive

I'm going to say Ice Climbers are either Wii U exclusive or they also work on New 3DS.

FSLink

Banned
I wonder where Ice Climbers would have been on the CSS if they were still in. I'm assuming that Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit were made last minute to replace the "exclusion" of the Ice Climbers.
Maybe the CSS could have looked something like this? With Ice Climbers to the right of Duck Hunt.
CRKU2Kn.png

This is not taking into account the possibility of Chorus Kids or someone also being in on the CSS at some point.

Platy

I don’t truly believe in any of the DLC leaks because I don’t want to end up disappointed, but there’s something worth noting about the Spainkiller/4chan characters.

My biggest complaint about the current character select screen is that it lacks any kind of harmony. There’s a degree of chronology, but the thematic links present in Brawl’s select screen are gone. It just doesn’t “feel” right. However, by putting the clones where they belong and adding the rumored characters, the select screen really comes together and makes a ton of sense.

Here’s what I mean:

1VjJK4c.png

• The top half of the select screen started in the ‘80s, and the bottom half started in the ‘90s/‘00s. The only exception is the Yoshi and Wario series, but they sort of need to be with the Mario characters.
  • The DK characters fall under their Mario counterparts — the protagonists are together, and so are the male/female sidekicks.
  • There’s a sort of R&D1 “bracket” consisting of Dr. Mario, Wario, G&W, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt.
  • Pit is under Link (bow-wielding heroes), and Palutena is under Zelda (titular mages).
  • Palutena and Kirby are the centermost characters. Kirby has a history of being in the middle of Smash Bros. select screens.
  • Fox is under Duck Hunt. This isn’t very significant, but they’re both canines. You could even extend this link since Falco is a bird.

I love you <3

I did a mock-up of the Spainkiller rumor (the addition of Impa or anyone really totally fucks up the formatting) and rearranged a few characters/franchises.
bRxDolE.jpg

I think that looks fine without having to sacrifice the 'Mii' or Random button.

EDIT: Ahahaha holy shit I did NOT see that Ryce edit earlier.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Speaking of leaks, I find the timing of the '3DS to Wii U transfer = additional characters' leak to be pretty damn convenient coming right after the final roster was confirmed through early copies of the game. Desperation, man.

Unless if that "leak" was posted before the final roster was officially confirmed, then I retract my statement entirely. ...Except the desperation part.

Well, the 4 characters leaked on July 29.

1) Wii U exclusive
Number 4, though they'd still have Nana come out for certain moves or just be a really dumbed down version of how she worked in Melee/Brawl.

whitehawk

Banned
Does anyone know if Smash on the Wii U can be played on the gamepad screen? I'd love to be able to bring the Wii U out of the house and use 4 Gamecube controllers to play on the Wii U screen.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah, I always like Ryce's CSS since it look more clean and much better. I hope that it would happens.

I wonder where Ice Climbers would have been on the CSS if they were still in. I'm assuming that Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit were made last minute to replace the "exclusion" of the Ice Climbers.
Maybe the CSS could have looked something like this? With Ice Climbers to the right of Duck Hunt.
CRKU2Kn.png

This is not taking into account the possibility of Chorus Kids or someone also being in on the CSS at some point.

Your roster actually make sense with the fact that the roster (without clones) and Ice Climbers were planned to be original roster. We know the rest of history.

Hatchtag

Banned
Number 4, though they'd still have Nana come out for certain moves or just be a really dumbed down version of how she worked in Melee/Brawl.

Yeah. I'm guessing they'd
1) Make it Popo/Nana, so you could play as either
2) Make it so that the other one shows up in the final smash and victory poses a la Chrom with Robin
3) Swap Up B to using the Pterodactyl from Ice Climbers instead of what it was previously
4) Just mostly buff the other moves to make up for the lack of a second Ice Climber.

To be honest, the changes to grab mechanics really would make Ice Climbers less fun, so I could see them just going to SoPo route. I'd hope they wouldn't, but I'd rather have SoPo than no Ice Climbers.

Gleethor

Does anyone know if Smash on the Wii U can be played on the gamepad screen? I'd love to be able to bring the Wii U out of the house and use 4 Gamecube controllers to play on the Wii U screen.

That sounds kind of awkward to play but I'm almost positive that there will be off TV functionality included.

Platy

1VjJK4c.png

Things that would improve :

Change Jiggly with Grenninja for kirby/jiggly and greeninja/lucario.

Change dr mario with wario for maximum "mario->mario spin off" potential .. and bowser jr/wario makes it for a cool dual evil dudes AND dr mario being the exact oposite from Mario in their franchise makes it exactly like every other clone on the roster.

Clefargle

1) Wii U exclusive

Or

6) Works on Wii U and New 3DS

FSLink

Banned
xs4Yaqb.png

Here's a crappy MS Paint version for the IC mockup (don't have Photoshop installed at the moment). I used their trophy from Smash 4 for the picture.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
xs4Yaqb.png

Here's a crappy MS Paint version for the IC mockup (don't have Photoshop installed at the moment). I used their trophy from Smash 4 for the picture.

It look perfect, so that would make sense that three clones were last minutes additions and Ice Climbers being cut due to issues.

Hatchtag

Banned
While I'm at it, I'm pretty confident Ridley's going to be playable, either as a character or, possibly much more likely at this point, as a playable boss. So, I'm wondering, let's assume playable bosses are a thing. How would you guys want that to work? Know that Ridley can for sure:
1) Move around
2) Grab characters
Personally, I'd love it if they put a lot of effort into it, to the point where it's something you'll want to play with for more than 20 minutes
unlike Smash Run.
Like, if they could somehow pull of just making them basically playable characters but with HP instead of stocks, that'd be cool. I wouldn't ever expect that, but a man can dream.

Neiteio

My stance on rumors is not to take a stance on rumors. Who knows. The WiiU version will be out soon enough.

In the meantime, it's fun to take these ideas and imagine them in a "what if" sort of way. That's the fun part about rumors, real or not.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Let's try this: do you all think we will get a Smash Direct before the Wii U release?

More likely. We don't know a lot of things about Wii U features. I would imagine that if rumor is real then they would announce those 4 characters during Smash U Direct to hyping up the game.

Jawmuncher

I could see us getting a WiiU Direct in November.
But really if the rumored 21 November release is real. I don't think they would use a direct to announce it. Really curious why they are waiting on saying anything. Wonder if the amiibos are causing problems.

CRKU2Kn.png

I would of prefered this lmao.

Zalman

Made this some time ago. The placement of Yoshi and the clones really bothers me.

BxezCVcIMAAgHp9.png

The ones you guys posted are great too. Better than the real one.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Would it count as last minute for Dark Pit since we saw him during E3 2014?

Well, Dark Pit didn't have splash screen so I would presume that Dark Pit was Pit's alt costume during that time. Since Lucina got her splash screen in Robin's trailer despite the fact that she's unlockable character. That's my assumption tho.

Fandangox

It would make no sense at all for the hypothetical Ice Climbers DLC to be N3DS only, why force roster parity and then fragment your handheld audience like that?

random25

I could see us getting a WiiU Direct in November.
But really if the rumored 21 November release is real. I don't think they would use a direct to announce it. Really curious why they are waiting on saying anything. Wonder if the amiibos are causing problems.

My theory is that they are first building up the 3DS version before announcing the Wii U version. We'll probably here more in a week or two after the release of the 3DS version, which is in line with a possible bi-monthly Direct in October.

zlCfzSeKWCsOr5wCbx

Pic of the day. Master Hand's glove rips open, and a mysterious substance we're calling the swarm, er, swarms out. The amount of this substance determines the shape of your final opponent, and you will have to launch it away in small clusters at a time. The higher your intensity, the denser the substance will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom