• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been two new Band Brothers games since Brawl, so Barbara's removal as an Assist Trophy makes me think Dixie Kong will be DLC and that she'll use the electric guitar as a special move or Final Smash. Maybe Sakurai thought it would be redundant to include both.

Or you're missing the obvious... Barbara as a DLC character.

Hatchtag

Banned
I donno. I don't think there's been a pic of the day that's spewed massive discussions in a while. Kinda wish there would be one. The speculation is starting to die out, and I hate that.

I donno. I don't think there's been a pic of the day that's spewed massive discussions in a while. Kinda wish there would be one. The speculation is starting to die out, and I hate that.

That's because the 3DS version is already out, and we haven't gotten anything pertaining to the Wii U version specifically (aside from a stage).

Nope, it wouldn't. It will pick up when we are getting more information about Wii U (or more leaks)

well yeah, but once the 3DS version is out presumably PotD will shift to Wii U only, meaning the chances of new info rises (also leaks get more likely as we approach release, so there's that too)

Other than actively not wanting him in Smash (I'm indifferent to him either way and don't ever actively hope for people to be disappointed), I agree with you. There's been no character fanbase more obnoxious than the Ridley fanbase... except for maybe Geno back in the Brawl days. I guess I'd still be happy for them if Ridley did eventually make it in, but man, let it go already. All this talk of one Ridley being a Pyrosphere boss and a different Ridley being playable... it's just reaching asinine levels at this point.

I also don't get Ridley's appeal to begin with, but that's a subjective argument. Obviously lots of people (or maybe just a few really loud people) love him to death, so...

Sorry, looking at that post now, I guess I was in a spiteful mood. I've mostly been indifferent myself. I've said before that I think Ridley is best off as a Stage Hazard/Boss/AT. He's done the most justice this way. But if Sakurai finally finds a way and adds him AND most are happy with it, no complaints from me.

There is.

It's called the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I mean characterizing Ridley more. Look below.

- Became a Space Pirate just for an excuse to kill
- Tried to kill 3-year old Samus, even though she tried to befriend him
- Killed Samus' parents right in front of her
- A near-unkilliable draconic space terrorist
- One of Nintendo's most sadistic villains
- Describes to Samus how he killed and ate her mother,
causing Samus to have a mental breakdown, asking for her allies to kill her
(This happens in the manga)
- Regenerates lost cells by eating other people's flesh, dead, or alive
- Gives some of the most iconic boss fights in Nintendo's history (Super Metroid & Metroid Prime 3)
- Giant, flying space-pirate/ dragon

I read the manga. I remember being SO EXCITED for Other M because I thought we'd finally get THAT Ridley on screen somehow, but we all know how that turned out.

Jawmuncher

If we ever get a Ridley closer to the manga he'll finally have my vote.
Don't dislike the guy but in the games he hasn't been interesting enough for me.

- Became a Space Pirate just for an excuse to kill
- Tried to kill 3-year old Samus, even though she tried to befriend him
- Killed Samus' parents right in front of her
- A near-unkilliable draconic space terrorist
- One of Nintendo's most sadistic villains
- Describes to Samus how he killed and ate her mother,
causing Samus to have a mental breakdown, asking for her allies to kill her
(This happens in the manga)
- Regenerates lost cells by eating other people's flesh, dead, or alive
- Gives some of the most iconic boss fights in Nintendo's history (Super Metroid & Metroid Prime 3)
- Giant, flying space-pirate/ dragon

I really need to get on reading that.
But then again, it'll just make Other M 2 that much more disappointing and depressing...
I've given up hope for the series ;_;

other_m_is_for_motherfucker_by_mjollnyr-d36x4uv.jpg

I never thought how bad Ridley's breath must be...

Ridley's proportions are so goofy that he'd look really weird shrunk down.
Like, I feel he really has to be too big so wouldn't work as anything other than a boss.

That neck would snap if he got any smaller.
ridleysmash.jpg

Guy needs to go to the gym for that.

Yeah the neck is the biggest issue that I meant. It's already so thin and frail looking, if you shrunk him down it'd look like it was 1cm thick.

That's probably why their using his Other M design.

Ridley-size.png

And I'd rather no Ridley than that thing.

I wouldn't mind if the next Metroid game redesigned him a little to be a mix of the Super/Prime design and the Other M one. It'd help make him fit in Smash as a bonus ;)

Outside of the neck though, his tail and wings would look so strange. They'd be clipping through the floor and platforms and stuff like crazy. He's just not 'compact' enough.

weekev

Banned
I got a friend who's cousins, uncles, sisters, son works as a photographer and he reckons he saw Ridley at the pic of the day shoot shortly after training with a punch bag, reckons hes ready to join the roster as dlc.

Seems legit.

FSLink

Banned
Any predictions on who's going to be top 5/bottom 5 in this game?

I know how tier lists work, and it's silly to make "tiers" with the game barely being out in only one region, but just curious what people are thinking at the moment, plus it's always cool to look back from people's initial impressions to later on. For example, I thought Ness sucked day 1, but now I think he's one of the better characters in the game.

Caladrius

I think a Ridley design specifically for Smash makes the most sense for a playable version. It'd allow them to play with his proportions and abilities to suit their purposes, as well as tie in nicely with the fact that Ridley never looks the same in any two appearances.

I got a friend who's cousins, uncles, sisters, son works as a photographer and he reckons he saw Ridley at the pic of the day shoot shortly after training with a punch bag, reckons hes ready to join the roster as dlc.

Seems legit.

My uncle who works at Nintendo said the same thing, I believe you.

Golnei

I think a Ridley design specifically for Smash makes the most sense for a playable version. It'd allow them to play with his proportions and abilities to suit their purposes, as well as tie in nicely with the fact that Ridley never looks the same in any two appearances.

Seeing as Brawl had its own Ridley design, and both Samus and ZSS were significantly altered from their Other M appearances, I'm inclined to believe that'd happen. Though Ridley as a stage boss would most likely use a ripped rather than unique model, as with Meta Ridley in Brawl.

Any predictions on who's going to be top 5/bottom 5 in this game?

I know how tier lists work, and it's silly to make "tiers" with the game barely being out in only one region, but just curious what people are thinking at the moment, plus it's always cool to look back from people's initial impressions to later on. For example, I thought Ness sucked day 1, but now I think he's one of the better characters in the game.

top 5: Rosalina
bottom 5: Peach

chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

K-A-Deman

That's probably why their using his Other M design.

Ridley-size.png

WGKuCQw.png

Kinda minor, but I am sad that they've gotten rid of his jointed neck, as I always thought that was a cool design choice to enforce how alien he was. Don't get me wrong, it's good that he actually has a 'realistic' way to eat now (seriously, can you imagine how little that tiny straw could get down at one time, he must've choked on Samus' parents for days at least, and that's if he ate them entirely.). Maybe a future design can find a better middle ground of keeping the jointed neck and having enough mass to make it viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom