• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubz

Banned
Probably the same series as this guy:
NoG9K.png

I forgot all about Non-Specific Action Figure. I'm still hoping he's a trophy in the Wii U version; it felt like NoA wanted to go somewhere else with him after his E3 debut, but the joke had already entered remission before they could do anything.

I'm glad someone around here like's daisy. My snake comment is just I still want to see a clone that's just way out there. Ganon Being a copy of C Falcon is the craziest we have seen in that department.
Plus like Azure J said if anyone could give a character personality that so many claim doesn't have any it would be Sakurai. The Ice Climbers were a great example of that.

Yeah; she definitely has a personality of tough, tomboyish princess, but a role that isn't sports or party-based would make that clearer. This is why we need more Paper Mario, and why Paper Mario doesn't need Miyamoto showing up and saying "Yo, you know what I hate? Plot. Every NPC's a Toad, Bowser doesn't talk, we're done here" and the team has to abide by that. Plus, it would be hilarious, and not too dissimilar from the great Warlock King of Thieves becoming a Sentai Superhero who fights with his fists and looks quizzically at his own sword. I can't deny that an Advance Wars rep'd make more sense for the role, though, and although I still want Daisy and Toad, Mario's already at a critical capacity for reps now.

Make it the Western version of Captain Rainbow. Waluigi is trapped in a castle, and for some bizarre reason, Daisy must journey through obscure video games and get help from their forgotten characters to rescue him. All the great-forgotten-western characters can be there - Mike Jones, Hogan (the owner of the alley), the guy from Goonie's 2, yellow Mega Man, etc.

I was just expecting a badass Princess Daisy beat-em-up, but this... This is a game I need! Someone get Skip, Ltd. on the phone!

You mean that one-time character in Kirby 64? Why?

Also, Anthony Higgs could work as a third Metroid rep. Just throwing that out there.

Out of every character you say has no chance, now you're promoting Anthony Higgs' chances?
... Did Sakamoto send you?

Hey man Kirby isn't one of Sakurai's series-....
wait a minute

Favoritism doesn't have to apply to the whole series, man. Just one character. Dark Pit is Sakurai's Edgy Baby, whereas Adeline was just kinda there. It'd be cool to see her come back, though!

Golnei

everyone petition Sakurai to make Viridi playable in the next Smash

The Palutena clone we deserved. Since the majority of her moveset is based on powers that Viridi can also use, it'd even make sense - and having a different set of physical properties and default specials would further justify her inclusion.

I forgot all about Non-Specific Action Figure. I'm still hoping he's a trophy in the Wii U version; it felt like NoA wanted to go somewhere else with him after his E3 debut, but the joke had already entered remission before they could do anything.
Not even an eShop game. :(
Yeah; she definitely has a personality of tough, tomboyish princess, but a role that isn't sports or party-based would make that clearer. This is why we need more Paper Mario, and why Paper Mario doesn't need Miyamoto showing up and saying "Yo, you know what I hate? Plot. Every NPC's a Toad, Bowser doesn't talk, we're done here" and the team has to abide by that. Plus, it would be hilarious, and not too dissimilar from the great Warlock King of Thieves becoming a Sentai Superhero who fights with his fists and looks quizzically at his own sword. I can't deny that an Advance Wars rep'd make more sense for the role, though, and although I still want Daisy and Toad, Mario's already at a critical capacity for reps now.

Waluigi would make for a better "funny dialog" game, especially if it had voice acting. We can throw Daisy in there too, as a filler character (just like she already is)
Out of every character you say has no chance, now you're promoting Anthony Higgs' chances?
... Did Sakamoto send you?
Anthony Higgs is a one-time character in a recent game. And also one of the only good thing to come out of Other M.

"I just got this game and I haven't played it before, so the first thing I should do is record myself playing it. Things like not knowing what to do and stumbling around or not providing any meaningful commentary or information will be funny for the viewers!"
Good LPs are done by people who actually know how to play the game. This is part of why SomethingAwful has a three-month-after-release rule in place, both to force prospective LPers to put some time into the game they're showing off, and not have several people tripping over themselves to be the first to LP a newly-released game.

Incidentally, SA LPs are most often what you can consider "good" LPs.

Sheik, Shulk, Robin, Lucina, Greninja, and Ness as well. At least for all of these characters, their inclusion was after a recent appearance. Adeleine hasn't shown up as a character in over a decade.
Pretty sure being recent has jack-all to do with inclusion. How many Duck Hunt games have released recently? Best I can think of is some nods in a specific minigame in Wii Play.

Good LPs are done by people who actually know how to play the game. This is part of why SomethingAwful has a three-month-after-release rule in place, both to force prospective LPers to put some time into the game they're showing off, and not have several people tripping over themselves to be the first to LP a newly-released game.

yeah but who goes there anymore :p

Good LPs are done by people who actually know how to play the game. This is part of why SomethingAwful has a three-month-delay rule in place, both to force prospective LPers to put some time into the game they're showing off, and not have several people tripping over themselves to be the first to LP a newly-released game.

While I dislike the idea of people getting paid for Let's Plays, I think there are still good Let's Plays and Let's Players out there.

Pretty sure being recent has jack-all to do with inclusion. How many Duck Hunt games have released recently? Best I can think of is some nods in a specific minigame in Wii Play.
Retro character, just like Ice Climbers and Pit. There's not really a good chance we'll get a 64-era character that had no more recent inclusions in games.
There's a difference between retro and recent characters, and those in between get nothing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Retro characters seem to have a different (entirely random?) criteria than other newcomers. It seems like they are either 8-bit characters that got left behind, or characters that have appeared in games relatively recently. Not a whole lot in between, none of the Smash 4 newcomers had their debut after the 8-bit era AND their most recent game prior to Brawl.

Same thing happened with Brawl as well.

Zubz

Banned
Not even an eShop game. :(

Waluigi would make for a better "funny dialog" game, especially if it had voice acting. We can throw Daisy in there too, as a filler character (just like she already is)

Anthony Higgs is a one-time character in a recent game. And also one of the only good thing to come out of Other M.

That's what I was expecting... Maybe some day it'll come out of nowhere.

And why not both? Make one the "Good Cop," the other the "Bad Cop" (Either one could work for either character, to the point that "Bad Cop, Bad Cop" is good, too), and have them completing some meaningless objective. And filler? At least Daisy was in a mainline game once, even if it was probably only because the game wasn't meant to be a Mario game in the first place.

And only good thing out of Other M?

Excuse you?

Ryce

Retro characters seem to have a different (entirely random?) criteria than other newcomers. It seems like they are either 8-bit characters that got left behind, or characters that have appeared in games relatively recently. Not a whole lot in between, none of the Smash 4 newcomers had their debut after the 8-bit era AND their most recent game prior to Brawl.

Same thing happened with Brawl as well.
Yep. Here are the games each newcomer seems to be mostly influenced by:

Pac-Man (Pac-Man, May 1980)
Duck Hunt (Duck Hunt, April 1984)
Mega Man (Mega Man 2, December 1988)

Rosalina & Luma (Super Mario Galaxy, November 2007)
Wii Fit Trainer (Wii Fit, December 2007)
Villager (Animal Crossing: City Folk, November 2008)
Little Mac (Punch-Out!!, July 2009)
Bowser Jr. (New Super Mario Bros. Wii, December 2009)
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles, June 2010)
Palutena (Kid Icarus: Uprising, March 2012)
Dark Pit (Kid Icarus: Uprising, March 2012)
Robin (Fire Emblem Awakening, April 2012)
Lucina (Fire Emblem Awakening, April 2012)
Greninja (Pokémon X/Y, October 2013)

Of course, Mega Man has attacks from other games, but most of his special moves are from 2, his victory music is from 2, and so on.

SaikyoBro

Of course, Mega Man has attacks from other games, but most of his special moves are from 2, his victory music is from 2, and so on.

I might say Rosalina is more inspired by Galaxy 2 actually. While she doesn't really have any importance appearance in that game it's been suggested that the whole mechanic with the Luma may have been inspired by its co-op mode where a Luma follows Mario around.

Isn't Pac Man more based off of Pac Land?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I was actually only referring to first party characters in post above. I'm not sure if it applies to third party ones (it does for Sonic and did for Snake technically, not sure about Mega Man or Pac-Man).

And why not both? Make one the "Good Cop," the other the "Bad Cop" (Either one could work for either character, to the point that "Bad Cop, Bad Cop" is good, too), and have them completing some meaningless objective. And filler? At least Daisy was in a mainline game once, even if it was probably only because the game wasn't meant to be a Mario game in the first place.
We just need an entire game made out of this.
I personally don't think Waluigi and Daisy would go well together in a game.

Jawmuncher

I was actually only referring to first party characters in post above. I'm not sure if it applies to third party ones (it does for Sonic and did for Snake technically, not sure about Mega Man or Pac-Man).

Yeah I think from this point forward Third Party additions are going to have no rules tied to them. No matter how much people will try. Aside from having appeared on Nintendo.

We just need an entire game made out of this.
I personally don't think Waluigi and Daisy would go well together in a game.

They wouldn't. I honestly can't even imagine what Nintendo could possibly do with Daisy in a game centered around her. I mean... just look at Peach's game, lol. Just slap her in Super Luigi Land as the damsel in distress. Make her a secondary Peach in mainline titles. But her own game? Euuuuuuuuuuuuugh

Jawmuncher

They wouldn't. I honestly can't even imagine what Nintendo could possibly do with Daisy in a game centered around her. I mean... just look at Peach's game, lol. Just slap her in Super Luigi Land as the damsel in distress. Make her a secondary Peach in mainline titles. But her own game? Euuuuuuuuuuuuugh

We should at least give her a chance.
I'm sure someone at nintendo could manage some magic if given the chance.

I still have trouble believing that Nintendo decided to put Peach in her own game and make it based on wild emotional fluctuations.
Waluigi and Wario working together in a game similar to Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi would work really well though.
We should at least give her a chance.
I'm sure someone at nintendo could manage some magic if given the chance.

There are better characters to work on. Making Peach likeable, for one thing.

Richie

I have a friend who loves Pictochat. It's his favorite stage without question or reservation. We would usually play Brawl on his Wii because he was already accustomed to traveling with it, so most of the time his random settings were already set how we liked them as a group. Particularly the random stage switch.

Often times he would turn Pictochat on our relatively short list of stages we played on. So after five or six fights on legal stages we would get thrown on Pictochat out of nowhere and he would lose it. It was funny, honestly. We all came to love to hate Pictochat because it was part of our lore as Smashers. We started leaving Pictochat on knowingly.

One day though a bunch of us were playing and got up to get some lunch - including him. But at some point before we left, he managed to sneak to the random stage switch and turn off everything but Pictochat. To this day we don't know how he did it without us noticing. We all left together.

But then we came back and the random stage button kept giving us Pictochat, which we thought was just a fluke. Twice in a row... Three times in a row... FOUR TIMES IN A ROW... We got more and more agitated and had a bigger and bigger collective reaction every time it picked Pictochat. It didn't occur to any of us that he somehow changed the stage list. It didn't seem possible.

The best part was we started picking stages manually as a means to avoid Pictochat. After a handful of matches, I hit start on the stage select screen reflexively and, of course, got slapped with Pictochat.

We lost it. We totally lost our minds. "How are you doing this? WHY are you doing this? What is HAPPENING?"

Only then did somebody check the stage switch. It was a violent day among friends.

Anecdotes of this caliber don't get nearly enough love in this thread. Really awesome memory, dude, can only imagine the trollface he had when he was found out.

Anthony Higgs in Smash? Ew. Ew ew ewwww. Other M getting a stage is horrible enough. It getting a whole character would be embarrassing.

He may have been the least shitty thing about Other M, but that's a world's tallest midget kind of thing.

Zubz

Banned
I have a friend who loves Pictochat. It's his favorite stage without question or reservation. We would usually play Brawl on his Wii because he was already accustomed to traveling with it, so most of the time his random settings were already set how we liked them as a group. Particularly the random stage switch.

Often times he would turn Pictochat on our relatively short list of stages we played on. So after five or six fights on legal stages we would get thrown on Pictochat out of nowhere and he would lose it. It was funny, honestly. We all came to love to hate Pictochat because it was part of our lore as Smashers. We started leaving Pictochat on knowingly.

One day though a bunch of us were playing and got up to get some lunch - including him. But at some point before we left, he managed to sneak to the random stage switch and turn off everything but Pictochat. To this day we don't know how he did it without us noticing. We all left together.

But then we came back and the random stage button kept giving us Pictochat, which we thought was just a fluke. Twice in a row... Three times in a row... FOUR TIMES IN A ROW... We got more and more agitated and had a bigger and bigger collective reaction every time it picked Pictochat. It didn't occur to any of us that he somehow changed the stage list. It didn't seem possible.

The best part was we started picking stages manually as a means to avoid Pictochat. After a handful of matches, I hit start on the stage select screen reflexively and, of course, got slapped with Pictochat.

We lost it. We totally lost our minds. "How are you doing this? WHY are you doing this? What is HAPPENING?"

Only then did somebody check the stage switch. It was a violent day among friends.

I missed this the first time around. That's pretty great! Your friend sounds like me with 75m, but is a lot stealthier about it. Have you ever asked how he did it, or would you rather keep that little mystery alive?

Pikma

Banned
Hi guys, I know I said I was going to keep you updated on my dog's health condition, so after a week, here it is:

My dog is about to go into surgery, he has a tumor and needs it to be removed, the surgery is considered to be risky because of his age, he's 13 years old already, so that makes things more complicated. Hopefully everything goes fine, I pray to God it goes that way.

He's been infinitely better, the treatment has helped him a lot, he recovered a lot of his energy, strength and humor, I swear it's as if he were 9 again and there were nothing wrong with him anymore, he also seemed to be a lot happier. But the problem is still there, sadly, and the surgery is completely needed for him to remain healthy for some more time, as much time as he feels like.

Thanks to everyone that asked for these updates, thank you for caring.
See ya SmashGAF

-Horizon-

Hi guys, I know I said I was going to keep you updated on my dog's health condition, so after a week, here it is:

My dog is about to go into surgery, he has a tumor and needs it to be removed, the surgery is considered to be risky because of his age, he's 13 years old already, so that makes things more complicated. Hopefully everything goes fine, I pray to God it goes that way.

He's been infinitely better, the treatment has helped him a lot, he recovered a lot of his energy, strength and humor, I swear it's as if he were 9 again and there were nothing wrong with him anymore, he also seemed to be a lot happier. But the problem is still there, sadly, and the surgery is completely needed for he to remain healthy for some more time, as much time as he feels like.

See ya SmashGAF
Hoping for a swift recovery for your dog Pikma!

Richie

He's been infinitely better, the treatment has helped him a lot, he recovered a lot of his energy, strength and humor, I swear it's as if he were 9 again and there were nothing wrong with him anymore, he also seemed to be a lot happier. But the problem is still there, sadly, and the surgery is completely needed for he to remain healthy for some more time, as much time as he feels like.

See ya SmashGAF

Freakin' amazing news that he's been way better since last time, man. I'm gonna keep him in my prayers for the surgery, dude. He can make it. We're all with you.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

He's been infinitely better, the treatment has helped him a lot, he recovered a lot of his energy, strength and humor, I swear it's as if he were 9 again and there were nothing wrong with him anymore, he also seemed to be a lot happier. But the problem is still there, sadly, and the surgery is completely needed for him to remain healthy for some more time, as much time as he feels like.

See ya SmashGAF

I really hope that everything would went well for you and your dog.

See ya SmashGAF
Hope everything goes well for your dog!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom