• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
_dementia said:
i dunno, Hito got them raging slash setups down pat

Hawk setups are pretty much braindead. Not getting killed getting in range is what makes Hawk brutal. Hopefully if they rebalance they give regular condor spire the EX properties, and EX condor spire ability to punish blanka balls (but lose the FB invincibility)

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Sir Garbageman said:
Had one of my worst nights playing ever last night. I love SF4 but damn can it be frustrating as hell sometimes. Maybe I was tired but I was getting smacked around by the simplest tactics and scrub mashers left and right. Half of it was my fault by getting impatient and overly aggressive chasing a couple of people around as opposed to just playing more patiently, one of my biggest flaws. I went a pathetic like 5 - 15 or so in the matches I played. Had to call it a night before I threw something.

/Rant

Question for the backseat game designers on GAF. Most critics of SF4 claim it's way too defensive by design and simply doesn't reward offense enough, and I think in general I agree with this. So I was kicking around ideas to change that. Most of these would probably break the game one way or the other but I'm just curious if you guys could potentially change or add to the gameplay system of SSF4 what would you do?

Some ideas I came up with:

• Loosen up the timing on links and shorten the window and ease for reversals
  • Give every character an overhead and make them special move cancelable so you can land some decent damage off of them
  • Instant LV 3 Focus Attack / Guard Break - Instead of FADC for two EX bars you can also fire off an instant level 3 focus attack, landing a free crumple
  • Guard Meter - Regenerating guard meter that decreases as you block attacks. If it depletes instant crumple. Think SC4 crystal (forget the name)

So, if you could change one thing in SSF4 what would it be?

so you want Akuma, Sagat Rufus and Bison to be the only playable characters in the game...

coo

jiggles

Banned
What's the transition like when swapping pad for stick for the first time? I've got a Hori FS3 coming on Friday to try help me pull off some more of the more impossible pad moves (like rising tatsu escapes), stop my thumb brushing the goddamn analog and fucking up my inputs, and hopefully let me expand my roster to include charge and full-circle characters, but I've heard using a stick for the very first time will ruin your game for a while. Pretty much every move and combo I use is from muscle memory, as opposed to me thinking about the actual input, so is it likely I'm going to struggle with the change?

Also, my PSN list is totally devioid of SSFIV players. If anyone from Euro-GAF wants to go some friendly rounds with a mediocre Sakura, hit me up. PSN: jiggles (Just make sure to say you're from GAF in the invite)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone tried PSN Super lately? It seems down for me... anyone else?

Gyrian

jigglywiggly said:
What's the transition like when swapping pad for stick for the first time? I've got a Hori FS3 coming on Friday to try help me pull off some more of the more impossible pad moves (like rising tatsu escapes), stop my thumb brushing the goddamn analog and fucking up my inputs, and hopefully let me expand my roster to include charge and full-circle characters, but I've heard using a stick for the very first time will ruin your game for a while. Pretty much every move and combo I use is from muscle memory, as opposed to me thinking about the actual input, so is it likely I'm going to struggle with the change?

What you've heard is accurate.
You will hate the stick initially, because your execution will more than likely suffer a huge hit.

Try not to ride the gate as you do your inputs, and have patience. You will love the buttons, and hit 3P, 3K proper as second nature quickly. No more shortcut buttons wanted or needed.
Some comfort will set in past the first month, and you'll find yourself doing a thing or two with the stick that probably gave you trouble on the pad.

Once again, just try to be patient, and enjoy. It's very rewarding once you start making progress. :]

~Devil Trigger~ said:
so you want Akuma, Sagat Rufus and Bison to be the only playable characters in the game...

coo

Like I mentioned I'm sure those ideas would potentially break the game or make it unbalanced, just kickin around some thoughts and seeing what GAF would potentially change. Holding down-back can just be too powerful sometimes imo.

XenoRaven

What I would change in SSFIV:

I would have everyone who wants guard break go play CvS2 and stop complaining and either learn the game for what it is or just leave it alone so those of us who like it as is can enjoy it.

hitsugi

dragonballjoseph said:
It's because Guy sucks.

Yup. But he's so stylish that it doesn't really matter. People will pick him up, try to focus all day and land FF chain because god forbid you don't end a combo with that and then they'll get destroyed and say "wow guy is horrible.. but so slick"

hitsugi

XenoRaven said:
What I would change in SSFIV:

I would have everyone who wants guard break go play CvS2 and stop complaining and either learn the game for what it is or just leave it alone so those of us who like it as is can enjoy it.

CVS2 died back in 05. Guard crush is still a nice idea for a fighting game, but it would be difficult to implement in a game where a lot of the cast benefits from not moving forward. As it is, those characters usually get destroyed if you can get (and stay) on top of them, so a guard crush isn't really necessary.

Sir Garbageman said:
Some ideas I came up with:

The best thing about SSF4 is that it will never have those things. SF4 was the return to the genre for people like me who are sick of all the tacked on shit that the genre had accumulated like so much detrius on a fightstick. All you need are two people fighting. As soon as you start talking about "systems", it all starts going down hill.

Leave all that extra crap in the crazier games like MBAA or GG/BB. Street fighter is about street fighting.

LakeEarth

hitsugi said:
Yup. But he's so stylish that it doesn't really matter. People will pick him up, try to focus all day and land FF chain because god forbid you don't end a combo with that and then they'll get destroyed and say "wow guy is horrible.. but so slick"
Seriously. When you win with Guy, it looks like you're the most kickass player out there.

Dartastic

Lost Fragment said:
BTW, here's that Makoto's YouTube channel. One of the best Makotos I've ever seen, if not the best.

On that channel there's a couple videos of him vs. Daigo.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BIGDANMUL#p/u/20/eIMht9VoTiA

http://www.youtube.com/user/BIGDANMUL#p/u/18/CV94Ba2Lf_o

...as for my Makoto, I think what I really have to start learning is patience. That's my biggest flaw I think; I wanna get in people's faces and whatnot, but I just... try too hard to get in, and I don't play enough people that are really good with block strings and what not to force me to be patient. So I just rush in. Must. Remember. Patience.

Onion_Relish said:
The best thing about SSF4 is that it will never have those things. SF4 was the return to the genre for people like me who are sick of all the tacked on shit that the genre had accumulated like so much detrius on a fightstick. All you need are two people fighting. As soon as you start talking about "systems", it all starts going down hill.

Leave all that extra crap in the crazier games like MBAA or GG/BB. Street fighter is about street fighting.
Then do you think of super moves, ex moves, focus attack dash cancels and Ultra combos?

Hell, FADC actually comes from anime games. It's the same thing as a GG Roman Cancel (half your super meter in exchange for canceling recovery frames).

From your post it seems like you'd be way more into SFIICE than SFIV.

jiggles

Banned
Gyrian said:
What you've heard is accurate.
You will hate the stick initially, because your execution will more than likely suffer a huge hit.

Try not to ride the gate as you do your inputs, and have patience. You will love the buttons, and hit 3P, 3K proper as second nature quickly. No more shortcut buttons wanted or needed.
Some comfort will set in past the first month, and you'll find yourself doing a thing or two with the stick that probably gave you trouble on the pad.

Once again, just try to be patient, and enjoy. It's very rewarding once you start making progress. :]

Thanks. I was secretly hoping that what I'd heard was wrong and I'd get a sudden "Ahhh, that's better" feeling from the thing, but I was still prepared to struggle at the start, so it's all good. With my win ratio and 0% disconnect, I'm certainly not lacking in patience. :lol

I've also heard that the button layout isn't exactly ideal for SF games. Would I be looking to assign the three punch/kick buttons to go up and down (three leftmost on each row), or all in a straight line (three rightmost)? I want to make sure I've got it right before I start getting used to it.

Onion_Relish said:

It's all about street fighting and specials, ex specials, super combos, 2 ultra combos, 3 levels of focus attacks, focus attack dash cancels, tech throws, kara throws, link combos, option selects, etc etc

What game have you been playing? I love SSF4 but it's by no means simple or dumbed down past the beginner stage.

SSF4 is what it is and is my favorite fighter this generation, I just wish there was some more incentive for players to go on the offensive.

Threi

notag
Super Tier List Fighter IV time:

http://www.gytnews.com/articles/commentary/official-tier-list.html

tournamentlist0803.png

"nah man this tier list is BS i think my main should be placed in a different spot whatever tho tier lists are stupid can my char have overhead plz capcom"

LosDaddie

Banned
Onion_Relish said:

IMO, many of the suggestions being proposed would make SSFIV the kind of ultra-hardcore, niche fighting game that drove away the masses the first time.

hitsugi

LosDaddie said:
IMO, many of the suggestions being proposed would make SSFIV the kind of ultra-hardcore, niche fighting game that drove away the masses the first time.

...It's Street Fighter :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What's Deejay doing down there? :lol

Edit: btw what's his max out recovery? Compared to Guile?

Yoshichan

_dementia said:
deejay is secret A tier don't tell anyone
I won't! MAX OUT.

Threi

notag
frame data on maxout is all over the place but from playing it's worse than guile's (obviously) and not as bad as chun li's.

Gyrian

jigglywiggly said:
I've also heard that the button layout isn't exactly ideal for SF games. Would I be looking to assign the three punch/kick buttons to go up and down (three leftmost on each row), or all in a straight line (three rightmost)? I want to make sure I've got it right before I start getting used to it.

You should probably try both a bit, and find out which way's easier for your hands to identify the correct buttons everytime.
This will matter much more than what you ultimately do with the two extra buttons.

Gyrian

A look at the Saltgat Brand(tm) Salts that Eraldo Coil and gibration will soon find in their mail. :]

Color 1 for EC, Color 2 for gib. Only six remaining, haha.

1f7kia.jpg

Ploid 3.0

WOW hahahaahaha dude you rock. Custom salt is the best thing ever, so funny. Is the one you sent Floyd like this? I was imagining a pouch of salt at first, then you mentioned custom sagat salt so I thought you made it crystallize into the name sagat somehow hah.

"Endorsed by culinary legend El Furte" :lol

kiun

AZ Greg said:
GGs Axis, Dartastic, and Saty (If you read GAF :lol).

And maybe someone can top me, but the most discouraging thing that can happen in a round has to be losing to a Honda when the only damage you take is chip, trade, and guess headbutts that landed.

:D

imtehman

Banned
SonOfABeep said:
Local meetups have spoiled me on online play.

if you aren't already you should consider going on SRK and seeing if there's a small community in your area. I was shocked when Milwaukee had one. Going and playing local matches is so much better than online. I almost can't stand it anymore unless it's with someone I know already.

Took your advice and went to SRK to see if there was one in my area. As luck would have it, there's a local meet up 5 minutes from my house tomorrow lmao.

i'm definitely gonna check it out

BitchTits

jigglywiggly said:
There is no right or wrong - try both.

I believe many people keep it to the default leftmost 3. Personally I prefer the rightmost three, with the left most column unassigned. Reasoning: I find them too close to the stick for my liking.

Gyrian

Ploid 3.0 said:
WOW hahahaahaha dude you rock. Custom salt is the best thing ever, so funny. Is the one you sent Floyd like this? I was imagining a pouch of salt at first, then you mentioned custom sagat salt so I thought you made it crystallize into the name sagat somehow hah.

"Endorsed by culinary legend El Furte" :lol

Actually, I sent Floyd what was basically a huge tub of Morton's. XD
Since it was created for the first Tourney, it had graphics using the design I made for that back then.

Of course, it featured front and center a drawing of C. Viper.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kadey said:
We'll take your rain. It's been 90° or close to with high humidity for nearly a month. I wouldn't mind a full week of just raining.
I can see the ocean, blue sky, and a rainbow right now out my patio door, accompanied by a cool tropical breeze.

:D

That salt is so cool :lol

Sir Garbageman said:
Like I mentioned I'm sure those ideas would potentially break the game or make it unbalanced, just kickin around some thoughts and seeing what GAF would potentially change. Holding down-back can just be too powerful sometimes imo.

I don't know about personally change, but I could tell you the awesome system I would use for SF5.

Universal Cancel, shit yeah.

No Revenge meter, everyone gets 6 EX stocks arranged based on the super they chose(two 3 stock meters or three 2 stock meters), EX Supers(ultra) use 6 stocks.

Universal cancel - 1 EX stock
MK+MP
3 uses -
Offensive Cancel(parry) - stops 1 hit of an attack for 1 EX meter, timing is the same as 3rd strike, 3 frames invincibility so you can jump away, no red parry
EX Cancel - Cancel any attack for 1 EX meter, no followup needed, works in the air
Juggle cancel - reset juggle state into falling state for 1 EX meter

Juggle system would be more in line with Alpha or 3s, but juggles can be canceled, which has its own risks. No guard crush, no universal overhead, no focus attacks. Whiffed normals do not build meter. More reasonable damage scaling(100, 100, 90, 85, 80, 75, 70, 65, 60, 60, 60, ...)

Gyrian

Gang, I've prepared a Ranbat framework I think we can use for both Live and PSN together.
I've spoken with Relix, let's see if we can run this community-wide. :]

We can start its tracking pretty much immediately.

Gyrian said:
Gang, I've prepared a Ranbat framework I think we can use for both Live and PSN together.
I've spoken with Relix, let's see if we can run this community-wide. :]

We can start its tracking pretty much immediately.

He speaks the truth, this man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom