• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
schennmu said:
Spam dat throw-slide, Ibuki!

Ibuki was the one getting thrown. :lol

I can see the ocean, blue sky, and a rainbow right now out my patio door, accompanied by a cool tropical breeze.

But the weather is constantly hot and the standard of living is higher. :D
My view is glorious though, especially at night. There's like five different areas to chill outside.

Dexa

Banned
somebody help me ffs: how to beat bison as a balrog player - scissor kicks + hk/mk mashing beats everything. most broken matchup ever :´[

Chavelo

Sup, GAF... Anyone want to join a ps3-virgin scrub start his short career on console fighting tonight? Maybe some endless?

PWEASE?

:-(

PSN - ADChavelo

Gyrian

schennmu said:
Why not? (serious question)

In my own experience, with a square gated TE stick, it was spoiling my execution.
The stick gives you much more active space than you need to get inputs to register.

With a pad, you don't think about this, you just push as much as it'll give.

Chavelo said:
Sup, GAF... Anyone want to join a ps3-virgin scrub start his short career on console fighting tonight? Maybe some endless?

PWEASE?

PSN - ADChavelo

Add me on PSN (Gyrian), and I'll send you a chat invite tonight. :]

explodet said:
Am I missing something here?

Player pool results don't make for good tier lists.

Half of what was probably sampled for Dhalsim was against Ryu (Sabin vs Daigo, Sabin vs Valle, YHCmochi vs Daigo), which is a matchup in Sim's favor. It's too generalized and doesn't show anything about what the character can do against the entire cast.

Gyrian said:
In my own experience, with a square gated TE stick, it was spoiling my execution.

It seems to help me for ultra motions because I always get sloppy with doing the motion all the way down or all the way to the right. TE stick here as well. So I'm not sure if it's a bad habit of mine or just personal preference.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Chavelo said:

PWEASE?

If you don't mind button mashing I could do a few rounds in an hour or two until Psych starts on USA. :lol

Gyrian said:
The stick gives you much more active space than you need to get inputs to register.

With a pad, you don't think about this, you just push as much as it'll give.

I use a fightpad I find myself having more success with my IAJKs from the left side when I keep my thumb near the center of the d-pad while doing the motion. Then again the thing is actually more like a joystick inside...

Chavelo

Gyrian said:
Add me on PSN (Gyrian), and I'll send you a chat invite tonight. :]

Sweet, thanks! :) Will do once the office day is over.

TheSeks said:
If you don't mind button mashing I could do a few rounds in an hour or two until Psych starts on USA.

Awww... I get out from work in two hours. Can I still add you on PSN? :-/

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Dartastic said:
On that channel there's a couple videos of him vs. Daigo.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BIGDANMUL#p/u/20/eIMht9VoTiA

http://www.youtube.com/user/BIGDANMUL#p/u/18/CV94Ba2Lf_o

...as for my Makoto, I think what I really have to start learning is patience. That's my biggest flaw I think; I wanna get in people's faces and whatnot, but I just... try too hard to get in, and I don't play enough people that are really good with block strings and what not to force me to be patient. So I just rush in. Must. Remember. Patience.

Yeah I think that's a problem of mine too atm. Need to start using pokes and such to create opportunities to close space rather than just dashing in carelessly so often.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
DryEyeRelief said:
Player pool results don't make for good tier lists.

Half of what was probably sampled for Dhalsim was against Ryu (Sabin vs Daigo, Sabin vs Valle, YHCmochi vs Daigo), which is a matchup in Sim's favor. It's too generalized and doesn't show anything about what the character can do against the entire cast.

Being good vs Ryu will up your usage in tournies, since so many tourney folks use him.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Chavelo said:
Awww... I get out from work in two hours. Can I still add you on PSN? :-/

I'll shoot a request your way when I unplug my 360 from playing Castlevania. ;)

Imm0rt4l

Makoto trips me out, I don't understand how she can be so scary yet be considered bottom of the barrel. I've felt played against some ridiculously good makotos on PSN and it seems that she get a lot of play on the streams moreso than Hakan, Gouken or even Guy, but she's considered bottom! I don't know what capcom could do to her to make her better, some say she can't be buffed without making her broken and I can see why that may be, but I'm no authority on whether that would be true or not. It does seem like she's within this strange threshold of being really nice or really crap. Must be the matchups? Or maybe mak players just needs to step their meta game up.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Imm0rt4l said:
Makoto trips me out, I don't understand how she can be so scary yet be considered bottom of the barrel. I've felt played against some ridiculously good makotos on PSN and it seems that she get a lot of play on the streams moreso than Hakan, Gouken or even Guy, but she's considered bottom! I don't know what capcom could do to her to make her better, some say she can't be buffed without making her broken, but I'm no authority on whether that would be true or not. It does seem like she's within this strange threshold of being really nice or really crap. Must be the matchups? Or maybe mak players just needs to step their meta game up.

Because when you guess wrong, you are in a position where it's just as scary since you have no good way to escape pressure. She's more fun then those three mentioned- and bottomtier chars tend to be played on fun factor.

The char I see least usually is Troll Hawk.

As for fixing Makoto- my suggestion
She should lose her kara game to make up for this

Karakusa- regular karakusa gains armor
EX karakusa becomes 5f startup, strike- invincible startup
Both versions gain more grab range.

EX Hayate becomes a 2-hit move (so it can break focus)

EX Orochi becomes 2f startup

health increased to 1000.

arstal said:
Being good vs Ryu will up your usage in tournies, since so many tourney folks use him.

That's not the point. I'm just saying the study seems flawed in its execution. The guy says for some events he only looks at top 8. Ridiculous. It's like basing Makoto's tier listing only on those Justin Wong/Flash Metroid youtube videos.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just Corky'D my disc.

Oh well, I'm not rebuying it anyway.

imtehman

Banned
Mr Solo Dolo said:
Well thats SSIV and the Tournament stick ordered...go easy on me Gaf pwetty please

ohhhh man, you are going to have a fun time.

i started SF4 with a controller, played for a month before i got bored.

Got a tournament stick on a whim and now when i have time SF4 is the only game i play.

you'll feel a sense of accomplishment after you execute some really tough stuff.

For me it was viper's FFF > ex seismo > SJC dash > ultra. Once i did this i knew i came of age.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Chavelo said:

PWEASE?

PSN - ADChavelo

psn: jobber4wcw

I like totally forgot I asked for new meat...errr umm people to beat up errrrrrrr..hi!

no i'm using my mic btw. I haven't used a mic on PSN for like 2 years

Chavelo

jobber said:
psn: jobber4wcw

I like totally forgot I asked for new meat...errr umm people to beat up errrrrrrr..hi!

D:

Um, well... I guess I'll be logging on soon... Prolly in an hour or so... See you dudes online... /gulp

jobber

Chavelo said:
D:

Um, well... I guess I'll be logging on soon... Prolly in an hour or so... See you dudes online... /gulp

8pm it is then

You may win a couple of rounds. I haven't played much this week since logging 15 hours during the weekend + playing in a local tourney.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Imm0rt4l said:
Makoto trips me out, I don't understand how she can be so scary yet be considered bottom of the barrel. I've felt played against some ridiculously good makotos on PSN and it seems that she get a lot of play on the streams moreso than Hakan, Gouken or even Guy, but she's considered bottom! I don't know what capcom could do to her to make her better, some say she can't be buffed without making her broken and I can see why that may be, but I'm no authority on whether that would be true or not. It does seem like she's within this strange threshold of being really nice or really crap. Must be the matchups? Or maybe mak players just needs to step their meta game up.

Whether she's low tier or mid tier is debatable (v-ryu, Flash, and myself think she's mid...not that I'm comparing myself to those two), but she's definitely not bottom of the barrel. Her mixup game is too good and she does too much stun/damage off those mixups to be at the bottom of the bottom.

IMHO, her only real big problem at this point is getting in a position to take advantage of those mixups. Every option she has to close space has too much risk associated with it.

Dash in? Pretty easy to throw out random low pokes into an option select to discourage that.

IA tsuguri will tag a lot of those pokes, but if they're just blocking she'll be a bit closer, but at negative frames.

Hayates are pretty safe on block *if* you space them right (which I don't, more often than not), but ex hayate is -4 no matter what you do. Again, though, pokes into option selects tag random hayates.

Another issue to address is her defense. Possibly. But like I've said before, her lack of defensive options never bothered me much, but I've played Viper for a year and her defense is similarly shitty, so maybe I'm just used to it.

But yeah, all that said, I think it's still too soon to make any adjustments. There are things I thought about Makoto a month ago that I was completely wrong about, and I'm sure there are things I think about her now that I'll end up being wrong about next month.

astral said:
EX Orochi becomes 2f startup

You on some crack :)

jobber

_dementia said:
buy the new blaz
just don't rage if you die in 2 combos

yeah..you don't rage over that..you watch the replay so you know what you did wrong. Got mollywhopped by an Ibuki in 1 combo, watched the replay, and when somebody else tried the same thing, I was ready for it.

For those keeping score of Yoshi's SF adventure, he's thrown away a TE and broke a perfectly good copy of the game. Did I miss anything?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
yea, yoshi - what did you do with that stick you had? I could buy it off of you if you still have it.

Jirotrom

just got the game and fei longs level 10 trial is hard as shit to get the last move out... is there some special timing?

EDIT: NM just got it, had to buffer, timing on this game is redonkulous

DasRaven

MiniBossBattle said:
Best commentary EVAR!

Edit: just read the chat log: Jesus mirror match :lol

Yep, he is the epitome of "get hype" commentary. Love it!

Extra LOL @ "You're making him nervous."

Gyrian

EraldoCoil said:
:lol :lol

those pics gyrian posted....

i just noticed it said " EraldoCoil 3rd Place 'No Fight Money'"
:lol :lol

sooooo good

I should've gone with "I tech'ed that throw!", but, you know, hindsight and all. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom