• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
dragonballjoseph said:
Greg, you got mixed the f*cked up.
Ignore the fact that you actually won the other two rounds.

And then my internet rage quits.

GGz yo. No disrespect with the taunts but I thought the counter ultra after the overhead was hot :D

Now I just have to win the match T_T

AZ Greg

dragonballjoseph said:
Everyone's copying my downback strategy.

Ha. But as you can see, that doesn't work out so well when you use your dirty little schoolgirl and don't have an ex PC to bail you out or lk scissors to throw out.
Or helpful storms.
:lol

Also, I just barely realized Gief says 2 different things depending on the lariat he uses. :|

AZ Greg said:
Ha. But as you can see, that doesn't work out so well when you use your dirty little schoolgirl and don't have an ex PC to bail you out or lk scissors to throw out.
Or helpful storms.
:lol
Sakura actually has something more annoying that lk scissors. Because I can do 3 tatsus in a block string that do mad chip. And pressing a button during the blockstring leads to a counter hit set-up, meaning it's EX tatsu time. ^_^
Now I just need to remember to use this tactic.:lol

Killa Sasa said:
GGz yo. No disrespect with the taunts but I thought the counter ultra after the overhead was hot :D

Now I just have to win the match T_T
Something told me I should have just grabbed. V_V

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
stabicron7 said:
Makoto can be good the problem is you have to have gdlk execution and really know her normals. I would go so far as to say she is harder to master than Viper.

Disagree with this. From a physical execution standpoint, anyway. The only thing she has that's all that hard execution-wise is karakara. Hayate cancels and such are easy once you know the trick to doing them.

I do think it's harder to get in the right mindset to play her effectively, though.

She also has harder links than Viper, but that's apples and oranges.

Axis

Lost Fragment said:
Disagree with this. From a physical execution standpoint, anyway. The only thing she has that's all that hard execution-wise is karakara. Hayate cancels and such are easy once you know the trick to doing them.

I do think it's harder to get in the right mindset to play her effectively, though.

i have so much trouble with hayate cancels...what's the trick?

Rocwell

Lost Fragment said:

Yeah I think with Makoto you need to spend just as much time researching her tricks and gimmicks as you do practicing your execution in the training room. Once you figure out how to take advantage of putting your opponent in situations where they have to guess you'll start getting a better win ratio.

I've been hovering around 5k BP with her for awhile now and still need to incorporate a lot of her tools into my game before I can really level up. I've been doing a lot of ex oroshi to score knockdowns since I feel vulnerable after hayates. A lot of the time karakusa or standing mp will get stuffed by people mashing jab. I'm not sure if it's due to poor execution on my part or if that's just how the frame data works out that you don't have enough frame advantage to beat a "reversal" 3 frame jab.

Rocwell said:
Yeah I think with Makoto you need to spend just as much time researching her tricks and gimmicks as you do practicing your execution in the training room. Once you figure out how to take advantage of putting your opponent in situations where they have to guess you'll start getting a better win ratio.

I've been hovering around 5k BP with her for awhile now and still need to incorporate a lot of her tools into my game before I can really level up. I've been doing a lot of ex oroshi to score knockdowns since I feel vulnerable after hayates. A lot of the time karakusa or standing mp will get stuffed by people mashing jab. I'm not sure if it's due to poor execution on my part or if that's just how the frame data works out that you don't have enough frame advantage to beat a "reversal" 3 frame jab.

Can normals even be reversals? I thought that was only special moves. I know normals can counter hit though.

Call me crazy but I just started getting the Hang of E. Honda and I think he's a lot of fun to play.

One thing I find funny tho is the amount of hatemail I get when I sit on my life lead. What? I'm supposed to come to you when I'm winning? Why? :lol

chriskun

VoteForPedro said:
Call me crazy but I just started getting the Hang of E. Honda and I think he's a lot of fun to play.

One thing I find funny tho is the amount of hatemail I get when I sit on my life lead. What? I'm supposed to come to you when I'm winning? Why? :lol
yeah, honda is loads of fun, especially when you get his hands combos down, feels so good.

Wiseblade

stabicron7 said:
Can normals even be reversals? I thought that was only special moves. I know normals can counter hit though.
You can do a normal on the first frame available, but it doesn't gain armour breaking properties or show up as a Reversal.

Myomoto

VoteForPedro said:

People have this weird expectation that you should spend the entire match walking into their fists :lol

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
:D

Been playing with some GAFFers lately. Whether lag or no lag, win or lose, it was fun.

Someone is going to get something he wants.................Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :D

derFeef

Kadey said:
:D

Been playing with some GAFFers lately. Whether lag or no lag, win or lose, it was fun.

Someone is going to get something he wants.................Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :D
I want to play with GAFers too as I think it´s the best way to learn because I can talk to you guys afterwards. I understand that many of you are on a certain level and do not want to fight people who still learn, but since my call in the SCRUBS thread did not work out, I try it that way. GT and location can be found in my profile. *drops on knees*

So I was fighting a Rose online, and suddenly, she did her ultra. Something told me to grab her after she did the ultra, so I did and it worked.

So I went into training mode. And it turns out, you can grab her out of her ultra just like with Dhalsim. And if she techs, she loses her orbs. But it won't work on her specials you can't grab.

Was this known, or am I late to the party?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
dragonballjoseph said:
So I was fighting a Rose online, and suddenly, she did her ultra. Something told me to grab her after she did the ultra, so I did and it worked.

So I went into training mode. And it turns out, you can grab her out of her ultra just like with Dhalsim. And if she techs, she loses her orbs.

Are you talking immediately after ultra freeze or sometime later?

_Xenon_

Banned
dragonballjoseph said:

So I went into training mode. And it turns out, you can grab her out of her ultra just like with Dhalsim. And if she techs, she loses her orbs. But it won't work on her specials you can't grab.

wa ... never knew she would lose her orbs after tecching throw.

BTW, any idea how to deal with a crouching-do-nothing sakura with Juri? sakura's cr.hp aka god hand beats everything :(

stabicron7 said:
Ranked Battles. Pretty much win and get points which is used to rate you here. In other words it means nothing at all just like ranked mode but hey its a convenient excuse to play semi-serious vs other gaffers in a semi organized setting.

:lol :lol Good thing you explained this, I assumed it was random battles.

_Xenon_ said:

BTW, any idea how to deal with a crouching-do-nothing sakura with Juri? sakura's cr.hp aka god hand beats everything :(
Don't jump at her?
And if she's crouch-teching, just do a pinwheel to punish it, or do some frame traps.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
_Xenon_ said:

Fireballs, get to just outside that range and vertical jump, FA, overhead?

Four possible choices.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Seriously mangs...

where have ya'll gone?

Mcvlad?
Spirit of jazz?
Oldern?

:(

I miss u, come back. PLax. I need people to play with and have fun. Online vs randoms give me hemorroids.

Also yoshi, the clock is ticking down my panicky chum, that week of yours is ending might fast :D. *sharpens kni..err..super disc*

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
_Xenon_ said:

Why do you need to be the one who is attacking?

_Xenon_

Banned
Thanks for the tips guys!

I was playing an endless match with this annoying sakura for 7 hours straight and started losing bad when she's doing this bullshit after a life lead.

Hitokage said:
Why do you need to be the one who is attacking?
Because the sakura was on a life lead :( Her j.hk beats Juri's aa and once it lands it's 400+ damage combo right there.

Threi

notag
dragonballjoseph said:
Don't jump at her?
And if she's crouch-teching, just do a pinwheel to punish it, or do some frame traps.
what if the char has no real frame traps or overheads though :S

Corky said:
Seriously mangs...

where have ya'll gone?

Mcvlad?
Spirit of jazz?
Oldern?

I miss u, come back. PLax. I need people to play with and have fun. Online vs randoms give me hemorroids.

Also yoshi, the clock is ticking down my panicky chum, that week of yours is ending might fast :D. *sharpens kni..err..super disc*

I'll be on in a bit Corky, haven't been on much due to the first 12 till 6am ranbats killing my street fighter soul beyond training Honda a little in hope of having a character I can play when utterly shattered.

Don't worry though, I still have the ambition of killing a man through the medium of Street Fighter so I'll start being on more again soon.

Wiseblade

Corky said:
Seriously mangs...

where have ya'll gone?

Mcvlad?
Spirit of jazz?
Oldern?

So what, I'm not good enough for you?

Wiseblade said:
So what, I'm not good enough for you?

Pfft, if somebody asked that question who didn't lose to Karakusa spam I might just take that question seriously :D

You're probably too good for me right now, I was playing against Rokitty yesterday and dropped 3 step kick links in a row. My soul has been crushed, I need to rebuild myself :( Though as I just told Corky, I'll on in about 15 mins :p

Then again step kick links don't work on Fuerte unless spaced and timed meticulously anyway so I'll still be fine with handing you your ass Wise ^^

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
_Xenon_ said:
Thanks for the tips guys!

I was playing an endless match with this annoying sakura for 7 hours straight and started losing bad when she's doing this bullshit after a life lead.

Because the sakura was on a life lead :( Her j.hk beats Juri's aa and once it lands it's 400+ damage combo right there.

Going to guess you're using Cr.Fierce as AA. Juri sometimes has to use other normals for AA, or go air-to-air.

For beating Sak's crouching fierce. My suggestion would be vertical jump to bait, then use either dive kick or vertical jump RH. Dunno if your own jump fierce would work. On a knockdown, she can't use that normal as AA since it takes too long, and Juri's crossup game is hard to defend against due to jump fierce which is knockdown and doesn't crossup in spots where her jump forward crosses up.

You could also play footsies, bait a normal, then sweep.

Then there's always the boring option of blocking the jump-in.

FindMyFarms said:
Hello GAF, long time no see. I'm in the land of no internet and it's a sad place indeed T_T

What's up, my dude? I heard your Cammy is mean.

I'm going to need to get in on these crack sessions. I suck right now. I played a buddy of mine. He would be considered casual, and I decided to hit random when playing him. He used Ryu, Sagat and Chun. And I was having difficulty with the characters. I mean, I don't play everybody but even my fundamentals were poor.

Maybe I'll pay $50 to get my butt kicked by Wong (sike).

derFeef

I think I´ll give up. Have no friends who play this with me and if I play online everyone is getting a perfect on me or even leaving before the match starts (0 BP).

derFeef

schennmu said:
Sad to say this but GAF seems to be a bad place to look for fellow players because the community here is mostly US (and mostly hardcore)

Would love to help you a bit, but not possible.

edit: seen this? http://shoryuken.com/f322/basic-video-tutorial-guide-total-beginners-ssf4-234560/
Watched all of this, read a lot, found a main, play every day, and so on. Registered at SRK but did not get my auth yet. It´s just practice I think but random online seems the wrong place so I have no clue what to do anymore.

@TheFightingFish
XBL / EU (Austria)

Thx for the tips. Guess I was just frustrated because 4 out of 7 players left when they saw my BP and I had no idea what the other 3 guys did because I was KO in an eyeblink. I have no problem with losing and still have fun against the toughest Ken CPU as I get closer and closer beating that cheater.

derFeef said:
I think I´ll give up. Have no friends who play this with me and if I play online everyone is getting a perfect on me or even leaving before the match starts (0 BP).

I started out SSFIV as a complete Street Figher and fighting game noob. And one thing that I can say is that the skill curve hits you by far the hardest in the first 20-30 matches or so. It just take a lot of adjusting to get used to the speed of the game and get used to what your online opponents are going to start throwing at you. I probably won like two or three games out of my first 20. But when you improve a little more you'll pretty quickly start to move up to a point where (thanks to SSFIV's really big player pool) you'll get more opponents at your level. I still lose more than I win (somewhere around 45% or so?) but I feel that I can at least put up a fight in 95% of my matches and I'm about 200 total matches in.

So if you're not enjoying it I'm not trying to badger you into playing more (for me I even enjoyed the initial losing streaks) but I would say that it does get better pretty quicky without having to sink too much time into it. And it does get more fun as you progress, slamming your first "white hair, blue ki" Ken is always a fun moment.

What is your system / location BTW? This thread isn't all tourney pros as plenty of scrubs like me are around and could possibly do a few games with ya.

derFeef said:
Watched all of this, read a lot, found a main, play every day, and so on. Registered at SRK but did not get my auth yet. It´s just practice I think but random online seems the wrong place so I have no clue what to do anymore.

@TheFightingFish
XBL / EU (Austria)

Thx for the tips. Guess I was just frustrated because 4 out of 7 players left when they saw my BP and I had no idea what the other 3 guys did because I was KO in an eyeblink. I have no problem with losing and still have fun against the toughest Ken CPU as I get closer and closer beating that cheater.

The problem with basic online play (especially with low pp at the beginning) is that you will see A LOT of bad habits from these "low level" players. The classic example are random wake up ultras. It will work sometimes, but most of the time it will be heavily punished. You should really try to find an offline community somewhere in your home area.

Also this thread contains great advice: http://shoryuken.com/f322/i-dont-know-what-do-246784/

derFeef

schennmu said:
The problem with basic online play (especially with low pp at the beginning) is that you will see A LOT of bad habits from these "low level" players. The classic example are random wake up ultras. It will work sometimes, but most of the time it will be heavily punished. You should really try to find an offline community somewhere in your home area.

Also this thread contains great advice: http://shoryuken.com/f322/i-dont-know-what-do-246784/
Yeah well my problem is to understand why I can not improve. I have no idea if it´s the execution, the mindgames, the understanding of the engine or whatever. Random online people won´t help me improve here because I do not get feedback from that, just a lol, if even ;)

Great infos SRK, I read that all day long. Maybe there are some nice people on that forum that can help me, but I am waiting since two weeks to get my reg. auth, so I can not get in touch with them.

_Xenon_

Banned
arstal said:
Going to guess you're using Cr.Fierce as AA. Juri sometimes has to use other normals for AA, or go air-to-air.

For beating Sak's crouching fierce. My suggestion would be vertical jump to bait, then use either dive kick or vertical jump RH. Dunno if your own jump fierce would work. On a knockdown, she can't use that normal as AA since it takes too long, and Juri's crossup game is hard to defend against due to jump fierce which is knockdown and doesn't crossup in spots where her jump forward crosses up.

You could also play footsies, bait a normal, then sweep.

Then there's always the boring option of blocking the jump-in.
From last night's tests it seems sak's j.hk beats all Juri's crouching AA (hp & mp) and her cr.hp beats all Juri's jump-in including dive kick / nj.hk / j.hp. Basically she kind of out pokes Juri and is pretty safe after a life lead :(

I totally forgot using Juri's overhead last night but not sure if that move is fast enough to beat sak's cr.mk.

I guess next time I'll just use blanka for those turtle sakuras. Fuck it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
_Xenon_ said:
From last night's tests it seems sak's j.hk beats all Juri's crouching AA (hp & mp)
I gave this a run in training mode, and it seems to be all about reading the spacing correctly and getting the right timing.

Hey guys, I played SSF4 for the first time in nearly two months last night. The experience felt so weird. Also, I was playing on a pad, which is something I have never done with SF4 before, so it was double weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom