• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
derFeef said:
I want to play with GAFers too as I think it´s the best way to learn because I can talk to you guys afterwards. I understand that many of you are on a certain level and do not want to fight people who still learn, but since my call in the SCRUBS thread did not work out, I try it that way. GT and location can be found in my profile. *drops on knees*

You just have to keep playing. :lol Even when I'm multitasking. Phone, browsing net, watching tv, etc, I'll be playing. I get easily distracted.
People are always confused by the fact one minute I can easily get destroyed but the next, they can't do anything to me.

_Xenon_ said:
From last night's tests it seems sak's j.hk beats all Juri's crouching AA (hp & mp) and her cr.hp beats all Juri's jump-in including dive kick / nj.hk / j.hp. Basically she kind of out pokes Juri and is pretty safe after a life lead :(

I totally forgot using Juri's overhead last night but not sure if that move is fast enough to beat sak's cr.mk.

I guess next time I'll just use blanka for those turtle sakuras. Fuck it.
it isnt. juri's overhead is really slow.

derFeef

Kadey said:
You just have to keep playing. :lol Even when I'm multitasking. Phone, browsing net, watching tv, etc, I'll be playing. I get easily distracted.
People are always confused by the fact one minute I can easily get destroyed but the next, they can't do anything to me.
I do I do, but there is just that much I can learn from cpu or my one friend that plays vanilla on PC. Guess I need to collect some GT´s I can regulary play against.

McNum

Yay, got my first online win. Fear my mighty scrubby Zangief!

Eh, but seriously, it's kind of demoralizing to play those first 11 matches and get torn apart quite brutally. Then at match 5-6 I started taking rounds, one went to the wire against a Sagat, and then finally, I won my first fight, against a newbie Akuma. (At least his PP and BP said newbie, but I've already learned that some of those are just good players bursting through the low ranks...) My favorte loss was against a Dudley, I love that Ultra of his, so getting Ultra KO'd was fun.

Still, I have far to go until I'm happy with what I've got. Do people just not know Zangief, or am I natural at mindgames? I'm thinking the former, since people seem to be falling for a fullscreen EX-bear hug. Because when Zangief flashes yellow and runs at you arms extended from across the screen, it's probably a good idea to do something about it. *HADOKEN!* No, not that. Yeah, I'm still extremely obvious. I'm also terribly bad at execution online. My SPD must have a below 50% success rate. On Zangief, that's simply not acceptable. Yet it's easily 90%+ in Training. Need better muscle memory, and less panic against a living opponent.

I kind of feel that I should have two online characters, but if one is Zangief, who's the opposite of him? A speedy, mid-long range character... Akuma? Ryu? Chun-Li? Hmm... Cammy?

If any of you see me on, feel free to fight me. Although I don't have a headset, so I'll be quiet. The PSN ID is "McNum", just like it is everywhere else.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Kadey said:

I'm sorry I'm distracting you from playing :(

McNum

_dementia said:
Players have to approach the zangief matchup differently than most of the other cast. His grabs are scary man

I know. It's why I picked him. :D

I already learned something useful with him, though. If you stand up and do a lariat, a jump in attack with hit you out of it. If you duck and then hit PPP, you'll either beat it clean or trade. And Zangief doesn't mind trading. A Ken was toying with me by doing repeated jump ins, until I got wise to it. Then he comboed me to death once I saw through his outer layer of offense. Fun!

Actually, I'm beginning to find losing as much fun as winning, since seeing what the good players can do is kind of awesome. Of course, I'd prefer not to be the target of that, but that's how the game goes.

Also, a quick question: I saw some of the opponents have a quick message in the box below the name BP, PP and all that. What's that, and how do I get one?

Eh, I think I'm done for today. I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I'm definitely happy that I bought an SFIV SE arcade stick now that I've started to play Zangief. No way I'd be able to do the 720s on a pad.

Threi

notag
McNum said:
Eh, I think I'm done for today. I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I'm definitely happy that I bought an SFIV SE arcade stick now that I've started to play Zangief. No way I'd be able to do the 720s on a pad.
funny that you say that...

McNum

Threi said:
funny that you say that...
Eh? Why? I tried. I had a FightPad for the PC version of SFIV, and I couldn't play Zangief at all with that. Or are you able to do the 720s on a pad? If so, nice! That's not easy.

McNum said:
I know. It's why I picked him. :D

I already learned something useful with him, though. If you stand up and do a lariat, a jump in attack with hit you out of it. If you duck and then hit PPP, you'll either beat it clean or trade. And Zangief doesn't mind trading. A Ken was toying with me by doing repeated jump ins, until I got wise to it. Then he comboed me to death once I saw through his outer layer of offense. Fun!

Actually, I'm beginning to find losing as much fun as winning, since seeing what the good players can do is kind of awesome. Of course, I'd prefer not to be the target of that, but that's how the game goes.

Also, a quick question: I saw some of the opponents have a quick message in the box below the name BP, PP and all that. What's that, and how do I get one?

When you're in a lobby waiting for a match to start, just highlight "COMMENT SETTINGS"

You can switch the message using that option.

ACE 1991

So I'm working hard at leveling up my Ryu, but I'm having a hell of a time executing the FADC SRK into U1 combo. Can anyone give me some tips? I seem to always either attempt to FADC too late or cancel into a focus attack.

Thanks to Gyri again, got my prize package from the last tournament today.

Loving the saltgat salt....haha

those gummi bears were fucking awesome too! Never had those before! :D

Arde5643

McNum said:
Eh? Why? I tried. I had a FightPad for the PC version of SFIV, and I couldn't play Zangief at all with that. Or are you able to do the 720s on a pad? If so, nice! That's not easy.
I dunno how vangief does it, but he can do a walking 720.

Youtube vangief to see how the best Zangief in US looks - I just wish he is more consistent in his game and has a backup character for Gief's retarded matchups.

McNum

Arde5643 said:

Youtube vangief to see how the best Zangief in US looks - I just wish he is more consistent in his game and has a backup character for Gief's retarded matchups.
Vangief plays on a pad?!

I have looked up a few of his matches. He's definitely good. One thing I already picked up by watching good Zangiefs is that while the SPD does a ton of damage, the real power of the SPD is that people fear it. They'll do stupid moves to avoid it, which is what you need to punish. I'm not good enough to punish that fear yet. Need better basics for that.

McNum said:
Vangief plays on a pad?!

I have looked up a few of his matches. He's definitely good. One thing I already picked up by watching good Zangiefs is that while the SPD does a ton of damage, the real power of the SPD is that people fear it. They'll do stupid moves to avoid it, which is what you need to punish. I'm not good enough to punish that fear yet. Need better basics for that.

Yeah he plays on a pad.

LakeEarth

Arde5643 said:
You start at up (hide it with a normal or something), then swing around 270º to forward (you have half a second to walk forward here), then swing from forward 270º the other way and hit up+punch at the same time. Technically you hit up, down, left, right 2 times, and therefore registers as a 720º.

Speaking of Gief, I fought a few today. Dudley's forward HP seems indeed a decent way to keep them out. One got really annoyed and just gave up at some point, followed by a salty message. I don't like turtling it out, but I don't feel like taking a lot of risks against Gief.

Also two rage quits. One Sagat (fuck you Sagat) and a Dudley. Kind of pathetic to rage quit in a mirror match. Sent him a nice message after that :D

I'm still amazed by some of the tactics the usual Kens/Ryus have developed by now. Some of that shit is just soooo annoying and weird. (And yes, I'm talking about scrub territory. My pp is usually between 1200-1700)

Just upgraded from vanilla. I was terrible at that, hoping to get better at this. If anyone wants to beat up a terrible Street Fighter then I'm your guy. I mostly play Cammy, but since I picked up Super I've been messing around with Dudley, who I'm really enjoying.

I'm on PSN as Captain_Spanky and it'd be a pleasure to play with anyone who cares to fight :)

Captain_Spanky said:
Just upgraded from vanilla. I was terrible at that, hoping to get better at this. If anyone wants to beat up a terrible Street Fighter then I'm your guy. I mostly play Cammy, but since I picked up Super I've been messing around with Dudley, who I'm really enjoying.

I'm on PSN as Captain_Spanky and it'd be a pleasure to play with anyone who cares to fight :)

Where you at?

Crisis

Banned
Captain_Spanky said:

I'll add you tonight. I'm either terrible when I play online or I'm pretty decent.

I just picked this up today for PS3. I'm getting my ass kicked! :lol

Anyone know anything (youtube, guides) I could look at so I don't suck so much. Also, should I just stop playing the PS3 controller and pick up a stick? PS3 controller doesn't feel too good at the moment.

mjc

I'm thinking of buying this in the next couple days. It's still got a decent player community right? (especially for a noobie like me?)

Crisis

Banned
mjc said:
I'm thinking of buying this in the next couple days. It's still got a decent player community right? (especially for a noobie like me?)

As a fellow noob, no matter what system you're playing on I can promise that there's a great and fun community surrounding the game.

striKeVillain said:
I just picked this up today for PS3. I'm getting my ass kicked!

Anyone know anything (youtube, guides) I could look at so I don't suck so much. Also, should I just stop playing the PS3 controller and pick up a stick? PS3 controller doesn't feel too good at the moment.

You're gonna get your ass kicked online starting out. Trust me. I had a rough time adjusting to the arcade stick but now I'm actually really decent with it. I'm not very good at the game yet but I get better every time I play against GAFfers. The guys I've played with have offered real tips and advice. And playing the endless mode against them really helps you to develop your own strategies and ideas for the characters you like to use. Between the nice stick and the GAF community I've never felt more competent at the game.

striKeVillain! said:
I just picked this up today for PS3. I'm getting my ass kicked! :lol

The PS3 controller (d-pad!) is more than good enough at the beginning IMO. You should only invest money in a stick if you're sure that you want to spend a lot of time with this game.

Captain_Spanky said:
UK, sorry, should have specified.

Ok cool, I'll add you. You can check out my basic Dudley and Guile.

Joekage

Would join the PSN Ranbats but not sure if I'd be able to play any on the weekends as those are the days I work + swing shift so yeah guess I'll have to sit out and have eraldo take dat fight money for himsel hahaf. Good luck to you guys and hopefully I can get back into PSN gafchat sooner than later.

Joekage said:
Would join the PSN Ranbats but not sure if I'd be able to play any on the weekends as those are the days I work + swing shift so yeah guess I'll have to sit out and have eraldo take dat fight money for himsel hahaf. Good luck to you guys and hopefully I can get back into PSN gafchat sooner than later.

AH!!! you still love me!!! :D

<3

i been playing like shit though, lol.....been trying to learn Adon, so today i went back to rog for like 2 matches and it was ugly, dropped links everywhere, spacing off. I was even doing a RDP playing as Rog, I was doing Adon motions as rog!!!.....:lol

GGs to AZ Greg and jlai, sorry I cut it short, but it wasn't on purpose I promise!

My xbox froze dead stop both times I left. I have no idea what's going on, I was playing earlier today just fine. I'd be in a middle of a block string or whatever, and just frozen.

Otherwise, it was a lot of fun.

If AZ Greg gets a perfect on me, then jlai gets a double perfect on AZ Greg, then I beat jlai, what does that mean??? I'm so confused.

jlai has a mean Mak, though. I love whenever somebody does the uppercut combos. It made me so mad when I lost the one round because I messed up my option select f+mk and wound up doing an EX Jet Upper. It was the one time he didn't backdash, too.

Joekage said:
its all week. not just during the weekend anymore

hitsugi

Floydnova is one of those players that I wish I could play with a better connection.. his Dudley is so crispy it's ridiculous and that's usually with a red connection to me :lol it's madness!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
God's Beard said:
GGs to AZ Greg and jlai, sorry I cut it short, but it wasn't on purpose I promise!

My xbox froze dead stop both times I left. I have no idea what's going on, I was playing earlier today just fine. I'd be in a middle of a block string or whatever, and just frozen.

Otherwise, it was a lot of fun.

If AZ Greg gets a perfect on me, then jlai gets a double perfect on AZ Greg, then I beat jlai, what does that mean??? I'm so confused.

jlai has a mean Mak, though. I love whenever somebody does the uppercut combos. It made me so mad when I lost the one round because I messed up my option select f+mk and wound up doing an EX Jet Upper. It was the one time he didn't backdash, too.

Was he double perfecting Greg with Makoto? 'cause I can''t even beat Greg with Makoto except once or twice every 10 games.

I must know his secrets :(

AZ Greg

Lost Fragment said:
Was he double perfecting Greg with Makoto? 'cause I can''t even beat Greg with Makoto except once or twice every 10 games.

The biggest difference is that he uses the LP version of that up punch move to stuff my wall dives. Seems to beat it pretty easily. And then he gets that free juggle combo and I'm probably close to or in the corner after that. :(

But there's also a lot of stuff he gets me with that is just more from him playing me a lot and adjusting as opposed to the character. He uses FAs really well and since Makoto has a good one he's extra deadly with it against me when he's using her. And he's also really good at knowing when I'm going to fly at him with a naked ex wall dive. He'll punish that with like Makoto's jb.Fierce (The move where she looks like she's doing a roll in the air) and then after that he can dash in and go to work. That's something I need to clean up though as it seems I go for those almost always after a throw tech. :|

I also play his Makoto a lot more aggressive than yours since me and him have a pretty good connection and I'm still trying to learn/test things in the match-up. Of course that ends up getting me in trouble a lot of times.

jlai

Lost Fragment said:

Hah yeah, it was with Makoto. Believe me, I was shocked too. I'm pretty sure it was the first time I even got a perfect vs Greg with any of my characters, let alone 2. With Makoto you just gotta keep pushing his Vega to the corner. Also, Fukiage renders the wall dives pretty useless. I was just telling him earlier, I think I'm good for 2-3 early wins against him, up until he remembers the few tricks I use. Otherwise, he still beats me pretty regularly. I'll get around to ghetto-recording it on my iPhone eventually unless someone wants to do what riceandbeans suggested and actually have a quality recording.

Joekage

AkumaHokoru said:
its all week. not just during the weekend anymore
Then count me in! I am not sure where the official thread is for this so if anyone could enlighten me with a link I'd be very grateful.

Also Eraldo, no matter how much I hate Rog, I'll always luv ya man <3 haha. Also I have a new character to terrorize you guys with so it'll be fun coming back. TIGER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom