• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Dartastic said:
I'll prolly go back to makoto after they buff her in the patch/update. And I won't play her against you. Deal? :lol

Nah I am all fine with it, especially since you will need Chun practice =P

Thanks for the tips, fellas.

And it looks like Scrub GAF has flourished without me. ;_; I'm so proud.

Anyways, what characterizes BB (and what I look for in a character) is freedom of movement and attacks that naturally chain together. Ibuki fits the bill, for the most part. If she could air dash, BAM! Perfection.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
gutabo said:
I have seen lots of people complaining about Guy and yelling that he's a bad character, yet I fail to see what's so bad in him... care to enlight me please?

Thanks in advance!

target combo that whiffs inexplicably, bad reach, subpar/slow pokes, bushin flip too slow, bushin flip elbow beaten easily and leaves you in no distinct advantageous position on hit or block, ultras are hard to land, overall bad footsies and slow walkspeed. In alpha Guy wasn't amazing but was dangerous when played properly. standing forward had amazing reach and priority, standing strong was a counterhit monster. A3 standing fierce was TOO GOOD. i dont think guy's a bad character..all his 'fixes' are simple things. He just didnt translate well to the SF4 engine or the team didn't care enough to work out the nuances.

Joekage

Ggs to Axis and DBJ. Sorry for my abrupt departure. my salty friend aka the one using the lame balrog rushed me out of his apartment. DBJ, kinda salty about those Sak matches but got my revenge in the Cody mirror haha. Your Bison is nice though, very nice spacing. Look forward to playing you guys again.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Threi said:
how in the fuck is this considered scrub level play?
Makeup Jesus kick all day long, no combos, whiffed ultras...seems at least a little scrubby, no offense to the players.

Loving that FF6 remix!

hitsugi

gutabo said:
I have seen lots of people complaining about Guy and yelling that he's a bad character, yet I fail to see what's so bad in him... care to enlight me please?

Thanks in advance!

Guy is one of the worst characters in SSF4. If you hold back and randomly hit fierce when he tries to bushin flip, you could probably beat him with the majority of the cast. I know Honda sure as hell can D:

His s.MP->HP chain has strange properties and whiffs when it looks like it should hit, etc. He's just riddled with small, stupid problems. As someone else said, Guy wasn't even top tier in Alpha.. but at least he made sense.

Threi said:

I don't see Chun back dashing every wake up / recovery, so.. definitely not scrub level there.

Axis

Joekage said:
Ggs to Axis and DBJ. Sorry for my abrupt departure. my salty friend aka the one using the lame balrog rushed me out of his apartment. DBJ, kinda salty about those Sak matches but got my revenge in the Cody mirror haha. Your Bison is nice though, very nice spacing. Look forward to playing you guys again.

gg's not really playing well today *shrug*

cody is nasty tho!

Crisis

Banned
Threi said:

I know right? I played Dave earlier and he handed me my ass every time except once. And I think he either used someone he never uses or he let me win. :p

jlai

AZ Greg said:
At least I won the second round!

:(

Hahah. Let it be known that this is not a true representation of all our matches. He consistently gives me the business. I get so happy when I bump into another Vega in ranked matches though since I have all the experience from playing you so much.

Hitokage said:
I'm starting to like the chun mirror, actually. It teaches you a lot.

Chun mirror and Rog mirror are the two best matches to gain a feel for footsies with.

Funny that Rufus isn't played much online, as he's easily one of the most common characters I run into in tourneys.

Solune

Ysiadmihi said:
Well for one thing his EX moves decide to randomly not work.

And his fucken shit whiffs. Seriously, Fierce kick > medium punch link hits, then target combo decides to whiff. Go for his chain combo, lp whiffs crouchers.

Joekage

Did I actually go on a winning streak (2-3 games lol) against AZ Greg? This is amazingly hard to believe haha, especially using Cody... feels good..sooooo good.

And there goes my win streak haha. Feels like I'm finally going toe to toe with the masked warrior though, very close matches all the way through. Love it. Good stuff Greg

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Threi said:
well they seem scrubbish to you guys but i think both of em could take on freejay easily :p

Pretty sure you're DJ is better than mine and I would say I could beat them using him. I've played against some of these guys to make sure they are what they say they are. :D Ran a clinic on them last week and wasn't too serious most of the time. One of the matches, I was gouken and did his no damage throw all day. Another match, I just stood still for two rounds.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Why Makoto's U2 sucks. From v-ryu on SRK:

ryu's hadoken = 45 frames, and 13 frames before fireball becomes "visible".
I dont think you react on ryu's pre-fireball animation (or are you not human?), but, as everybody, when you SEE the fireball.

that means you have 32 frames to punish him.

Abare has 19 startup, then 11 active frames (=30 frames). If ryu is full screen away, you will hit him with the last active frames. (saying 25-30).

So, that means you have 7 frames to react+do the input when he does a fireball from full screen away.

yeah, that's EASY, as you say.

ps: it's even more difficult against sagat.

edit:
yes, its maybe easy if you do 236236236236236236 during 20 sec waiting that ryu throws a fireball xD.
But i think you will try to move and go close.

the_log_ride said:
Boxer and Akuma may not be bad for you and Renta, but for me personally (which I recall is what _dementia asked us all initially), I'm still struggling with it.

I agree with you though, I've had more success so far using U2 against Akuma.
Oh, I wasn't being all smug about it if you got that impression. I actually used to have a difficult time against both characters as well, but after spending a few sessions against players who were good with those two and knew what to do against Dhalsim, I feel they're more manageable now.

Rentahamster said:
Are you using Shangrila as more of a punish move, or are you able to consistently bait a jump in or poorly spaced demon flip?

I keep trying to use Shangrila against the Akumas I play, but for some reason, I keep whiffing Shangrila when I'm trying to counter a demon flip, especially when they do it real deep. At least with ultra 1, if Akuma demon flip>kicks or fireballs right in my face, catastrophe will trade, but still hit him.

I also seem to have more success with throwing out a catastrophe when Akuma is knocked down, and trying to guess which way he's gonna teleport.

I still think, though, that shangrila can potentially be better against Akuma, but I dunno, I can't seem to land it consistently.
A little of both, personally.

I've had it succeed regularly against Demon Flips (only the follow-up dive kick makes it a tad harder to land), even when Akuma is almost at point-blank in the air by the time I inputted Ultra II, but you have to get a bit familiar with the spacing or timing of it in some cases. Auto-corrected Shangri-la's also have its uses to deal with Akuma's cross-up shenanigans provided you can pull it off consistently (I know I can't) and it also works against air Tatsu's, whether they're careless or used as a cross-up (which is trickier to land). I think Shangri-la also connects after a blocked fierce sweep if you do it fast enough (kind of like Dhalsim's Super) and I assume it'll come in handy if you predict a teleport, but here's the kicker:

you can also use it to grab Akuma through air fireballs at certain distances!

Anyways: I didn't use Shangri-la all that often in the following practice video's which are from a few weeks back, but maybe they'll give some idea as to when Shangri-la might or might not connect. Also: I wouldn't say I'm great in the Akuma match-up, but I like to think I have a decent enough understanding of it to not get steamrolled by 'em unless I'm already that much worse than the other guy to begin with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH0c9aDdtHI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk7PoJj8W9c

Hope all of the above helps.

Gyrian

PSN Ranbats registration closed!
Get hype, we've gathered 32 all-GAF players from each network.

Make sure to get your seed fights done; report them to Seph for XBL, and to me for PSN.

Next week, scoring begins proper. :D

Joekage said:
Did I actually go on a winning streak (2-3 games lol) against AZ Greg? This is amazingly hard to believe haha, especially using Cody... feels good..sooooo good.

And there goes my win streak haha. Feels like I'm finally going toe to toe with the masked warrior though, very close matches all the way through. Love it. Good stuff Greg
Well, Greg is pretty free nowadays.

And my Sakura really wants to test my patience sometimes. Sometimes she doesn't want to do her links, and sometimes she does. Why are women so difficult. V_V

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
hitsugi said:
I don't see Chun back dashing every wake up / recovery, so.. definitely not scrub level there.

What the f...

:lol :lol :lol
dragonballjoseph said:
Well, Greg is pretty free nowadays.

And my Sakura really wants to test my patience sometimes. Sometimes she doesn't want to do her links, and sometimes she does. Why are women so difficult. V_V

Greg is free.

Made me salty a few nights ago though. Holy shit I hate it when I go into dumb mode :lol

XenoRaven

FindMyFarms said:
Chun mirror and Rog mirror are the two best matches to gain a feel for footsies with.

Funny that Rufus isn't played much online, as he's easily one of the most common characters I run into in tourneys.
This means I need more Chun mirrors. Botox! Stop playing Cammy!

hitsugi

Relix said:
What the f...

:lol :lol :lol

I don't know why people are laughing at that.. generally a standard sign of a scrubby Chun is when they backdash for their lives. Particularly popular online.. same with Rose. I played a Rose once who got option selected to death because they had to back dash every single wake up.

ACE 1991

Asked this before, but I didn't get answer. Can anyone give some tips about nailing Ryu's ex SRK FADC into U1 combo? I can't seem to get it...

ACE 1991 said:
Asked this before, but I didn't get answer. Can anyone give some tips about nailing Ryu's ex SRK FADC into U1 combo? I can't seem to get it...

Well practice the SRK And FADC first.

When you SRK hit FA and -> at the same time, so you only have to input another -> afterwards.

This helps prevent the missed dash.

If this goes well, you have ample time to Ultra.

Why are you using ex SRK?

vg260

bigmit3737 said:

When you SRK hit FA and -> at the same time, so you only have to input another -> afterwards.

This helps prevent the missed dash.

If this goes well, you have ample time to Ultra.

Why are you using ex SRK?

On that note, is that dash method the way to land a hadoken->FADC->U2? Ryu's last trial has that at the end, and I have yet to be able to land it before the opponent block kicks in.

Papi

hitsugi said:
I don't know why people are laughing at that.. generally a standard sign of a scrubby Chun is when they backdash for their lives. Particularly popular online.. same with Rose. I played a Rose once who got option selected to death because they had to back dash every single wake up.
Were you the one putting the US on notice because Shizza was in top 8 of Evo?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
hitsugi said:

Backdashing is one of her main tools. It in no way means you are a scrub player. She, along Rose, have the best backdashes in the game. Why not use them when the need arises? That would mean that you using ultra means you are a scrub. See what I did there? It's the same thing. It's a tool. Chun doesn't have the best wakeup game in the world and many people bait EX SBK. It's better to backdash and use your footsies. Or what, do you expect everyone to just stay in the ground waiting to get hit or thrown off?

SmokeMaxX

ACE 1991 said:

Here's some advice that some people use:
As you FADC, hold your FA and just do the Ultra motion. Don't worry about the dash. Your qcfx2 has two forward motions in it. It'll automatically dash.

ElFly

bigmit3737 said:

Mmmm, I hadn't thought of this.

e:

SmokeMaxX said:
As you FADC, hold your FA and just do the Ultra motion. Don't worry about the dash. Your qcfx2 has two forward motions in it. It'll automatically dash.

THIS IS JUST CRAZY

hitsugi

Papi said:
Were you the one putting the US on notice because Shizza was in top 8 of Evo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPS78oJHyts

While that's putting it bluntly, I said I could see how Mago would figure the general level in the US is lower when they see a Chun player back dashing every wake up / recovery in top 8. I think Art called me on stabbing Shizza with that remark, but I said it is what it is and people dropped it because the whole Shizza thing is a joke in the first place and shouldn't have been taken this far :lol

Granted, we also had an Akuma (JR) that beat Tokido and plenty of people have observed worse things about JR's play style but I guess Shizza has a stronger fan base or something.

Relix said:
Backdashing is one of her main tools. It in no way means you are a scrub player. She, along Rose, have the best backdashes in the game.

No kidding. I'm aware that they have the best backdashes in the game, but you're missing the part where I say that's what they do almost every wake up. Good Chun and Rose players do not backdash THAT often on wake up or they'd just get swept to death.

MicVlaD said:
Oh, I wasn't being all smug about it if you got that impression. I actually used to have a difficult time against both characters as well, but after spending a few sessions against players who were good with those two and knew what to do against Dhalsim, I feel they're more manageable now.

you can also use it to grab Akuma through air fireballs at certain distances!

No worries, mate. I just need to get more familiar with dem matchups, and just work on my defense in general.

But I do love grabbing akumas out of his air fb. 'Gotten a lot of wtf messages from that :lol

hitsugi said:

Gotta disagree. I use backdash as Chun Li a lot, but mostly because my offensive game is weak and it gets me out of up-close situations. It all depends on the player. Some would rather backdash and zone, using Chun's large reach to their advantage rather than her mix up. It's all a matter of preference imo.

hitsugi

riceandbeans said:
Gotta disagree. I use backdash as Chun Li a lot, but mostly because my offensive game is weak and it gets me out of up-close situations. It all depends on the player. Some would rather backdash and zone, using Chun's large reach to their advantage rather than her mix up. It's all a matter of preference imo.

Back dashing in general is a good idea in SF4; everyone uses it. I say it becomes scrubbish when people back dash 24/7, shizza gets brought into the mix with a completely unrelated discussion, nuff said.

To say back dashing is a tool so doing it a majority of the time is a good idea would be like me saying I should wake up teleport backwards / fierce DP with Akuma every wake up. It's too general of a statement.

Yackie

SmokeMaxX said:

My mind has just been blown.

As of this point. you have 2 and a half days (11:59 saturday) to finish your seeding battles. remember to save your results for all 7 matches before turning them in. if you havent played someone from your pool yet please get in contact with them (this only applies to XBL pools 3 and 4 and all 4 PSN Pools)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
hitsugi said:
No kidding. I'm aware that they have the best backdashes in the game, but you're missing the part where I say that's what they do almost every wake up. Good Chun and Rose players do not backdash THAT often on wake up or they'd just get swept to death.
Especially when you can option select sweeps.

SmokeMaxX said:

This doesn't sound right but I will try it out because I usually have to pause right after the dash, or else the Ultra whiffs or I get only a couple of hits.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
ACE 1991 said:

Focus on practicing each set first, then string them together. It becomes second nature after a while. For simple FADC-ing, I would do c.mk into fireball, fadc, repeat endlessly. It helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom