• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threi said:
cody got a great ground reversal, great normal antiair, and delicious frame traps, more than can be said for some chars

*whistles*

wait are you saying that zonk is a good reversal? its ok when ur standing but once u get knocked down on wake up you have to guess ur ass off and you cant mash it out like a dp and the non ex zonks suck

all cody needs in my opinion is for his zonk to be buffed and he will be fine but without he is screwed when hes being rushed down

Masamuna

I am in no way saying that the f.RH feint is a replacement for the dash. It's basically a safer option for certain wake up options.

You do realize you just mentioned four separate normals as being her AA's. That's retarded, especially since they're all very situational.

You do realize you're switching up to a character (chun) that uses 90% of her normals for her general AA game. All of which can be more situational than Maks S.MP, cr.MK, s.MK (and to a much lesser extent cr.RH and st.FP).

Chun's df.LK eliminates some of the guess work though. Some.

I'd even be ok with the lack of a real overhead if she had a move that broke armor reliably.

So they're now holding down back?

......Isn't that what you WANT as a makoto player? Or maybe they're crouching while mashing jab once you cross the state line? Deary me, if only she could space her cr.MP/st.MP to beat that and buffer in the correct special. Or IA Tsurugi (lol, okay this isn't too reliable). Or at the very least kara EX kara. But no, Makoto magically loses the round.

As far as breaking armor. For moves with super armor you can technically buffer an EX kara out of a normal (really good for the balrog matchup). If they're using focus as an AA, either cancel the jumping normal into EX Kara or empty jump throw. Random FA from a character or two space away? If their FA leaves them grounded call their bluff and kara their ass (or be on the safe side and EX kara). Or bait with your own focus. Or throw your stick :p

Even still it's a guessing game.

But this is what the character is built upon. I do admit that SF4's engine and her tools as they are now don't really encourage the playstyle though.

Threi

notag
biosnake20 said:
wait are you saying that zonk is a good reversal? its ok when ur standing but once u get knocked down on wake up you have to guess ur ass off and you cant mash it out like a dp and the non ex zonks suck

all cody needs in my opinion is for his zonk to be buffed and he will be fine but without he is screwed when hes being rushed down
exactly. It's only good on the ground, cody can't defend crossups. people who know this will try to crossup/jump in every time, makes your job easier.

unlike come chars who are weak against meaty non-jumpins/throws every time

*whistles*

Threi said:
exactly. It's only good on the ground, cody can't defend crossups. people who know this will try to crossup/jump in every time, makes your job easier.

unlike come chars who are weak against meaty non-jumpins/throws every time

*whistles*

but what is a cody to do when hes wakin up and they jump in?

block and try to tech and thats it, he cant do much else

and he cant do his backdash because its awful

Threi

notag
God's Beard said:
At least frei plays a character that has a crossup.
no overhead or frame traps though

oh well the new challengers are all lower class citizens. oh well no harm in working harder for your wins, you don't get a prize, you don't get the respect of the other player, you get more stressed out...but um...i don't know where im going with this :lol

BitchTits

Masamuna said:
If they're using focus as an AA, either cancel the jumping normal into EX Kara or empty jump throw.
What about LK,MK target combo? I've used that a few times when they're using FA as AA.

I do pretty well with Makoto, just hit 4000BP, which is a lot for me (next is Gen @ about 2800BP). Some match-ups are frustrating as hell though (Guile, good Boxers, cross-up/jab mashing Ryus).

I don't use Karakusa nearly enough, I find it difficult to get in close enough, and I use U2 exclusively, so I don't need it to land an ultra.

It does feel so good to win with her though, so so good! :D

AZ Greg

Rentahamster said:
gg Greg for those, what 3 games we had? I had to split.

So little time to play SF this past few weeks :(

GGs. Too bad you couldn't have stuck around. It's really interesting fighting your Sim after fighting Saty's so much in the past week or so. You guys both approach the match-up so differently.

Joekage said:
Did I actually go on a winning streak (2-3 games lol) against AZ Greg? This is amazingly hard to believe haha, especially using Cody... feels good..sooooo good.

And there goes my win streak haha. Feels like I'm finally going toe to toe with the masked warrior though, very close matches all the way through. Love it. Good stuff Greg

GGs. I wanted to play more but had to go to bed. :( Man, I gotta admit though, I was getting pretty salty. You had a ridiculous success rate with those EX Bingos. I swear I got with like 47/50 or some crazy rate like that. :lol I think I was a little off cause I had been going on like 2 straight hours of nothing but rushing Ian down. He was getting really pissed though. You had him beating on his stick after he'd lose a match. He was just about to go to bed before you joined but then didn't want to leave without a win against you. :lol

Relix said:
Greg is free.

Made me salty a few nights ago though. Holy shit I hate it when I go into dumb mode :lol

Dude, you can't say you were in "dumb mode" or that you were "unfocused" every time someone wins the majority of the matches. :lol Honestly, the other night, you were playing no differently than you ever have. I'm just finally taking advantage of the opportunities you give me. Option selecting a sweep in since you like to back dash during virtually ever wake-up situation, I'm using focuses better since you'll recklessly throw out a lot of pokes/hazanshu that are focus bait, I'm baiting/punishing your over guessing with EX SBK, I'm not stupidly trying things from up close that get tripped by your sweep and instead being a little more patient and just letting you do an unsafe close sweep that leaves you open for a punish, I'm somehow actually blocking your hazanshus now, and punishing a lot of your jumps with EX wall dives since I've realized trying to use Scarlet Terror on our connection usually results in a trade that is in your favor. :( That's all combined with things I've added to my game. Plus I've been getting a lot of practice against Chun lately! :D

Dartastic

Jlai has a pretty damn good Mak... I had him two rounds to zero with Chun and he read me insanely well. Wound up beating me. GGs!

Ps. Use dash punch after s fp more. You're eating too many ex messiahs. :p

Masamuna

BitchTits said:
What about LK,MK target combo? I've used that a few times when they're using FA as AA.

I do pretty well with Makoto, just hit 4000BP, which is a lot for me (next is Gen @ about 2800BP). Some match-ups are frustrating as hell though (Guile, good Boxers, cross-up/jab mashing Ryus).

I don't use Karakusa nearly enough, I find it difficult to get in close enough, and I use U2 exclusively, so I don't need it to land an ultra.

It does feel so good to win with her though, so so good! :D

You can use the target combo, but certain FA's cause the MK to whiff (I forget which ones since I haven't used it that much myself).

I can't sugar coat it, Karakusa is shitty when it comes to its intended purpose. The range only pisses me off in certain matchups (aka Bison/Chun's walkspeed), but the fact that it no longer techs regular throws anymore (or even any throw invincibility) makes my NaCl levels burst. That said, karakusa is still very valuable once your opponent respects your offense, and whether they learn that the hard way or the easy way is up to you. Just like with Gief you have to give them reason not to take passive aggressive measures once you start your offense. After they've eaten the KaraFuki OS they'll no longer want to backdash/backjump/neutral jump (with the exception of certain characters...fuck you chun). Once you bait that SRK they'll think twice about mashing reversals. Eventually you catch them sleeping. Then you kara. Then it either starts over again or you won the set.

The biggest problem that comes from this is that you can't mix up a rock. And by rock I do not mean a defensive player. Sometimes it really will take 900 baited SRK's to win a ft10, its up to you to adapt at that point.

FADC Tangent XCOPY etc.

Edit - Hayate feints while applying pressure are also really good to assess the situation. Ref: Flash Metroid.

jlai

Dartastic said:
Jlai has a pretty damn good Mak... I had him two rounds to zero with Chun and he read me insanely well. Wound up beating me. GGs!

Ps. Use dash punch after s fp more. You're eating too many ex messiahs. :p

GG's! Haha yeah. Really not sure what i was thinking trying the reset 4 times in a row. I guess its always the mindset of "he's not gonna do that AGAIN is he??" Left that endless room cause best of 5 was gonna take too long

hitsugi

I can do Guy's EX cancel U2 on the left side.. not on the right.

HCB x2 has always been the hardest thing for me to do D: forget about hcb, hcf, hcb+kk~ppp -_-

Joekage

Yeah, the bingos are supposedly the key to this matchup, giving me a valuable option to stop your poke and tick throw game. I wish regular bingo had some throw invulnerability to stop the kara's and etc but EX works very well, I just have to work on my spacing and reaction times to your pokes. Regular bingo is a godsend at your cr mp range though, especially since it travels farther the longer I hold it, but as with all reversals, if blocked, it's a free fat punish for you although at a distance I can minimize the damage.

Also Ian beating on his stick hahaha, at least he beat my Sagat xD. Also Chuvy wants to ask why you hate Rufus so much, since thats the only character he can win with xD

I think my main idea when fighting you is rush him the hell down and take my licks and hopefully by the end of the round, my combos did a bit more damage then yours haha.

On a later note, sorry to all my PSN pool players, I have my stick but am kinda stuck and not able to return to my apartment so I can't get my games in like I promised yesterday or today. If possible, I will try and contact you all tomorrow when I finally get home and get our matches in as soon as possible. Thanks!

Threi said:
the new challengers are all lower class citizens

Next time you call Dudley gutter trash you'll be down for the count.

I agree though, Capcom tries too hard to avoid another 3s Chun, all the new characters have summoning sickness.

Threi

notag
you know i should stop trying to reversal meaties but it just looks too damn hilarious watching all of deejay's specials get stuffed (and a hail mary ex upkick whiff). also when jumpins still hit deejay' backdash because it's so bad. At least lk sobat beats poorly timed meaty throws :lol

Normally I would tell myself "just block" but if you do block a blockstring/tech a throw you are put in the absolute worse position he can be in. I would rather just guess again :p

AZ Greg said:
Dude, you can't say you were in "dumb mode" or that you were "unfocused" every time someone wins the majority of the matches. :lol Honestly, the other night, you were playing no differently than you ever have. I'm just finally taking advantage of the opportunities you give me. Option selecting a sweep in since you like to back dash during virtually ever wake-up situation, I'm using focuses better since you'll recklessly throw out a lot of pokes/hazanshu that are focus bait, I'm baiting/punishing your over guessing with EX SBK, I'm not stupidly trying things from up close that get tripped by your sweep and instead being a little more patient and just letting you do an unsafe close sweep that leaves you open for a punish, I'm somehow actually blocking your hazanshus now, and punishing a lot of your jumps with EX wall dives since I've realized trying to use Scarlet Terror on our connection usually results in a trade that is in your favor. :( That's all combined with things I've added to my game. Plus I've been getting a lot of practice against Chun lately! :D

Relix's Chun is scrub tier confirmed :lol :lol

by hitsugi's standards ;-)

Kadey said:
Another S-Tier tourney match. Wu-tang. :lol

Captmcblack vs Treb.
Captmcblack wins 2-0
Match one
Match two

What an annoying Blanka! Got to love the random Ultra at the end :lol
I'm sure he gets ton of wins online.

God's Beard said:
If you ask me, Dudley's cRH is a special move.

Slow as fuck. F FP on the other hand is godlike. I love to turtle Balrogs and stuff all their special moves with it :lol. Works against Psycho Crushers (even EX) as well. Even a nice AA when people jump in from a "safe" distance. Ah, Dudley is just so damn awesome.

XenoRaven said:
He posts here all the time. Not sure how you could have missed him.

yeah, although I have not been posting much this past week....plus, I am a pretty scrubby unknown player here still.

hitsugi - but I do agree with you, it's a tendency i have with Chun as well....but i am learning it's sometimes better to not backdash all the time and just block or tech, esp against good players who know how to safe jump or option select.

hitsugi

BotoxAgent said:
yeah, although I have not been posting much this past week....plus, I am a pretty scrubby unknown player here still.

hitsugi - but I do agree with you, it's a tendency i have with Chun as well....but i am learning it's sometimes better to not backdash all the time and just block or tech, esp against good players who know how to safe jump or option select.

<- complete scrubby unknown player here. that doesn't matter though.

most people have some kind of bad habit with their play style. mine is using focus too much.. which can look even worse than back dashing all day. back in cvs2 it used to be rolling and you could adjust that by picking p/k groove for a while and getting used to your character with different tools.

bad habits in SSF4 feel tougher to break D:

XenoRaven said:
He posts here all the time. Not sure how you could have missed him.

It's an icon thing. His icon blends in so well!

Threi

notag
just when i though i've seen everything wrong with deejay...his furthest reaching poke (st.hk) is punishable on hit

:lol

hitsugi

Threi said:
just when i though i've seen everything wrong with deejay...his furthest reaching poke (st.hk) is punishable on hit

you should publish freejay.org or something with all of this. when I played deejay I seriously poked with short hop and c.mk... didn't find a whole lot else worth bothering with

XenoRaven

hitsugi said:
It's an icon thing. His icon blends in so well!
It's an oil-covered raccoon!

Also, I am the other extreme with Chun where I never back dash like ever. I've been making a conscious effort to back dash in matches lately so I can remember it's there. Kind of like I did when I started making a conscious effort to dash forward after focus attacks. I used to never dash after them. >_> It's like all I focus on in a match, and even if I lose, it eventually becomes second nature to me to do it. I should start doing that with motion characters so I can learn to FADC better.

dragonballjoseph said:
Okay, now this is starting to get weird.
Nearly everyday, I get invites to play SSF4 from people that I've never played before, nor are they friends of friends.
Do people really just randomly go through the leaderboards and invite the highest ranking people to matches?
Yep

Threi

notag
hitsugi said:
you should publish freejay.org or something with all of this. when I played deejay I seriously poked with short hop and c.mk... didn't find a whole lot else worth bothering with
c.lk, c.mk, and short hop are his only decent ground pokes yeah. c.mk can be punished by jabs if you do it too close, short hop will occasionally whiff on crouching opponents, and his pokes that reach further (c.hk, st.hk) have incredibly long startup time, incredibly long recovery and st.hp and st.hk are punishable on hit.

I don't think deejay is really that bad of a char but his normals are really bad IMO (I think Dan has better normals tbh). On the flipside his air normals are borderline GODLY (j.lk, knee shot, j.hk, and j.hp, and j.mk have amazing priority, range, and start up fast as hell)

*edit* forgot st.mk doesn't have any more range than cr.lk or cr.mk, took that out
*edit #2* neither does st.hp or cr.hp, taking those out as well
*edit #3* c.lk isn't that bad of a poke, it's pretty much equivalent to ryu's c.mk, except you can't walk foward > poke xx special with it

c.lk gets my seal of approval

vocab

Threi said:

HE sucks ass compared to ST deejay. Standing roundhouse was amazing.

O well, it can't be as bad as air throwing Freehawk during his dive.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Another tourney match is up. Hmmmmmmm....cake is good. Good stuff.

Gyrian vs Acid08.
Gyrian wins 2-1
Match one
Match two
Match three

-=looks at Juri statue=- He wants you so bad.

Deejay's jumping RH, whether forward or backwards is one of the best air to air moves. I know it works wonders on fatboy Rufus.

schennmu said:
What an annoying Blanka! Got to love the random Ultra at the end :lol
I'm sure he gets ton of wins online.

Slow as fuck. F FP on the other hand is godlike. I love to turtle Balrogs and stuff all their special moves with it :lol. Works against Psycho Crushers (even EX) as well. Even a nice AA when people jump in from a "safe" distance. Ah, Dudley is just so damn awesome.

pfff... backdash cRH anti-air is how real men play street fighter.

Good tip on the Psycho Crushers, I didn't know about that.

Forward Fierce is the secret best meaty ever. 1 frame links into ultra aww yeah.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Haeleos said:
I ordered the last fightstick off of amazon.ca. Sorry, fellow Canadians.

$190 is a hard chunk of change to swallow for a controller, especially one made by Mad Catz, but I've wanted to try one ever since Virtua Fighter 4 on PS2.

I play Gen and I'm at around 2000 PP with him, but I think if I were to take this stick online I'd drop to 400pp in a day. I'm going to go hibernate in training mode for 2 weeks while I work this thing out. At least it doesn't randomly drop connection from a wireless dongle like the last 3 fightpads I've owned.

The Mad Catz controllers aren't the old Mad Catz POS's- these controllers are as good as the custom ones.

Axis

Joekage said:
Yeah, the bingos are supposedly the key to this matchup, giving me a valuable option to stop your poke and tick throw game. I wish regular bingo had some throw invulnerability to stop the kara's and etc but EX works very well, I just have to work on my spacing and reaction times to your pokes. Regular bingo is a godsend at your cr mp range though, especially since it travels farther the longer I hold it, but as with all reversals, if blocked, it's a free fat punish for you although at a distance I can minimize the damage.

Also Ian beating on his stick hahaha, at least he beat my Sagat xD. Also Chuvy wants to ask why you hate Rufus so much, since thats the only character he can win with xD

I think my main idea when fighting you is rush him the hell down and take my licks and hopefully by the end of the round, my combos did a bit more damage then yours haha.

On a later note, sorry to all my PSN pool players, I have my stick but am kinda stuck and not able to return to my apartment so I can't get my games in like I promised yesterday or today. If possible, I will try and contact you all tomorrow when I finally get home and get our matches in as soon as possible. Thanks!

his rufus jumps way too much

he also wants you to know that you're free or w/e he said in that message to me earlier. he seems like a bit of a dick :p

Kadey said:
Another S-Tier tourney match. Wu-tang. :lol

Captmcblack vs Treb.
Captmcblack wins 2-0
Match one
Match two

That Blanka looked legit to me, not a scrub at all. He could definitely hold his own in higher-tier play.

arstal said:
The Mad Catz controllers aren't the old Mad Catz POS's- these controllers are as good as the custom ones.

Arcade sticks are fine, but the Fight Pads are garbage.

El Sloth

Banned
Haeleos said:
I ordered the last fightstick off of amazon.ca. Sorry, fellow Canadians.

$190 is a hard chunk of change to swallow for a controller, especially one made by Mad Catz, but I've wanted to try one ever since Virtua Fighter 4 on PS2.

I play Gen and I'm at around 2000 PP with him, but I think if I were to take this stick online I'd drop to 400pp in a day. I'm going to go hibernate in training mode for 2 weeks while I work this thing out. At least it doesn't randomly drop connection from a wireless dongle like the last 3 fightpads I've owned.

If you can still cancel that order you might want to check this out: http://store.gameshark.com/promotions

$50 off SFIV TE Round 2 Fightstick

$60 off MvC2 TE Fightstick -360 only

DR2K

Banned
riceandbeans said:
That Blanka looked legit to me, not a scrub at all. He could definitely hold his own in higher-tier play.

That was a scrub Blanka. No different than the average scrub Blanka's gaf seems to lose to.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Dartastic said:
Makoto stuff spread out over several posts

Makoto's place on the tier list is debatable. But judging from these posts, the reason you lose so often with Makoto has more to do with you than it does with the character because 75% of the stuff you're saying about her is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom