• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
XenoRaven said:
This means I need more Chun mirrors. Botox! Stop playing Cammy!

I haven't played in a week now...been really busy :-( And before that, I've been working on Guy--and been losing tons.

Being that I have so little time to play right now. Maybe I should just stick with trying to improve Chun or Cammy because Guy takes a bit of work to get comfortable with. I'm probably hellah rusty with them right now *sigh*

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Threi said:
how in the fuck is this considered scrub level play?
wat :lol

Okay, now this is starting to get weird.
Nearly everyday, I get invites to play SSF4 from people that I've never played before, nor are they friends of friends.
Do people really just randomly go through the leaderboards and invite the highest ranking people to matches?

Dartastic

SmokeMaxX said:
Here's some advice that some people use:
As you FADC, hold your FA and just do the Ultra motion. Don't worry about the dash. Your qcfx2 has two forward motions in it. It'll automatically dash.

Seconded mind blown-ness. I never knew that. :lol

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Always do things the hard way or the natural way. It only strengthens your resolve. :D

I wish there was a way to turn off shortcuts because for some characters it's a pain in the ass.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Man I decided to venture into ranked and holy shit its a mess :lol :lol

Input Lag.
Retarded messages.
Dumb people.

Greatest thing? I've lost a few already :lol :lol

Kadey said:
Always do things the hard way or the natural way. It only strengthens your resolve. :D

I wish there was a way to turn off shortcuts because for some characters it's a pain in the ass.

*coughIBUKIcough* Seriously if it aint the command normals its something else.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
So i couldnt find the pack to unlock all the costumes on the PSN store page. I searched for it and found it but i cannot buy it. It says there nothing available at that page. Do i have to buy them all seperately now?

SmokeMaxX said:
Here's some advice that some people use:
As you FADC, hold your FA and just do the Ultra motion. Don't worry about the dash. Your qcfx2 has two forward motions in it. It'll automatically dash.

I can now do FADC with Ryu. This is one of the best days ever now.

I'm going back home to him. c.mk xx hadoken forever.

SmokeMaxX

Haha hope that advice helped. I've heard some top players do it, but I've never done it personally. I've told other people about it and it seems to have helped them... Let me know if the hold focus -> ultra works!

derFeef

Threi said:
at least makoto's normals are decent

and she has a good dash

and can combo into ultra reliably
So Makoto relies on good knowledge of the SFIV engine and the whole system? I like her looks and moves and all, but I can not see me (casual) being any good with her.

XenoRaven

BotoxAgent said:
I haven't played in a week now...been really busy :-( And before that, I've been working on Guy--and been losing tons.

Being that I have so little time to play right now. Maybe I should just stick with trying to improve Chun or Cammy because Guy takes a bit of work to get comfortable with. I'm probably hellah rusty with them right now *sigh*
I hear you. I play about once a week now maybe. The way my job is now, I'd rather watch Street Fighter than play it really. Either don't have the time or don't have the energy when I DO have the time.

Gyrian

Threi said:

You don't mean Karakusa -> U1?
Not too different from any point blank range Ultra that behaves like a command grab, except less damaging and with a margin for error.

Great tool, but only as reliable as your ability to read your opponent's next move.

Gyrian said:
You don't mean Karakusa -> U1?
Not too different from any point blank range Ultra that behaves like a command grab, except less damaging and with a margin for error.

Great tool, but only as reliable as your ability to read your opponent's next move.

Normal command grabs are way easier to land than ultra ones though.

Threi

notag
don't mind me im salty because i missed two walk ultra attempts in a row...and i did walk ultra, it was just out of range

*edit*

not to mention getting slid out of slides is annoying as hell

Dartastic

Relix said:
GGs Grifter, lolthrei, and Dart.

For sure. I just love how I can go from playing with someone from when the game launches and getting the shit kicked out of me to picking up someone new who doesn't suck like A DAY AGO and already be doing decent with her. Man, fuck Makoto. Shitty walk speed, low move priority, no real overhead, lack of armor breaking moves that you don't have to literally guess to use... God. I love also how with most characters when someone tries to cross you up on wakeup you can SRK out of it, or have some sort of option. You try and punch the air as Makoto? Nope, that shit's too slow. Can't do that! So you eat the cross up or block it. Gah. Unless they patch her, I'm done. I can't take it anymore.
Threi said:
at least makoto's normals are decent

and she has a good dash

You mean S. MP is good, and the rest are just ok. Her dash is good, yes, but you pretty much only have to dash with her because she can't walk. As for her ultra combo, yeah, if you can land the Karakusa you can prolly hit it, but it's the only command grab in the game that loses to a regular grab, and even getting close enough to land it can be a real problem because of her lack of options. Gah.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So I just hit 5000 BP and B Rank with Sagat this afternoon. When I first got the game I thought that would be iiiiiiiiiiimpossible! Pretty proud of myself for this mini-achievement for excellence in grinding/persistence. :lol

I still suck ass and lose to BAD players way too often! :(

Thanks Kadey and Haunts for the Youtube vids/Iplaywinner stream. Such drama on the last stream. Kadey's Tourney confirms I am more scrubby than people in the tourney. Is it intimidating to go to an actual tournament?

Threi

notag
hear st.fp is good as well, also her sweep

also the one that moves her forward a bit

good startup, good recovery. some chars don't have that luxury at all

Haeleos

I ordered the last fightstick off of amazon.ca. Sorry, fellow Canadians.

$190 is a hard chunk of change to swallow for a controller, especially one made by Mad Catz, but I've wanted to try one ever since Virtua Fighter 4 on PS2.

I play Gen and I'm at around 2000 PP with him, but I think if I were to take this stick online I'd drop to 400pp in a day. I'm going to go hibernate in training mode for 2 weeks while I work this thing out. At least it doesn't randomly drop connection from a wireless dongle like the last 3 fightpads I've owned.

Dartastic

Specials > Normals. No matter how awesome my S. MP might be, it will be beaten (or at least trade with) the vast majority of specials. Even then, she lacks normals that almost every other character in the game has, most notably an actual overhead. Sure, she has some normals that move her forward. That's because she doesn't have ANYTHING ELSE. She doesn't even have a reliable anti-air normal, and her anti-air special blows.

Chun's backdash is great. If your opponent shows that they can't punish it, then why not abuse it.

If you don't know how to properly defend yourself when one of your options (backdash) is being consistently shut down, THEN you're a scrub. Otherwise, it's just a great tool.

Dartastic

Threi said:

I'm pretty sure a hadoken will beat any normal any day of the week. Yes, normals are obviously hella important. But if I don't have any special options to get around other people's attacks, that's a major problem, and Makoto is seriously lacking in options.

Masamuna

Threi said:
hear st.fp is good as well, also her sweep

also the one that moves her forward a bit

good startup, good recovery. some chars don't have that luxury at all

st.FP is good by itself as a situational AA, beefy combo filler and certain frame traps (FP.Hayate > Fierce beats hab mashers IIRC).

Her st.Jab is 4 frames but hits crouching (except in certain BnBs against blanka where the timing needs to be altered). Links into s.MP nicely.

f.MP moves forward nicely. CH combo starter. 0 on block, +2 or 3 on hit.

cr.MK is a solid AA. Where it fails as an AA st.MP usually compensates. When that fails s.MK picks up the other miscellaneous situations (ie Dudleys people's elbow).

St.RH is very solid. Can potentially stuff certain footsie shenanigans, great as a meaty and a good option for cross under BS.

Cr.MP is her sweet spot when thinking both offensively and defensively. I use this until i'm able to get in and the opponent starts to give respect. Then its s.MP time.

F.RH feints sometimes feels safer than her dash. Her dash is really bad (both forward and backward). But since you have to work on everything when playing her already you may as well work on spacing to make the recovery insignificant barring crutch situations.

For sure. I just love how I can go from playing with someone from when the game launches and getting the shit kicked out of me to picking up someone new who doesn't suck like A DAY AGO and already be doing decent with her. Man, fuck Makoto. Shitty walk speed, low move priority, no real overhead, lack of armor breaking moves that you don't have to literally guess to use... God. I love also how with most characters when someone tries to cross you up on wakeup you can SRK out of it, or have some sort of option. You try and punch the air as Makoto? Nope, that shit's too slow. Can't do that! So you eat the cross up or block it. Gah. Unless they patch her, I'm done. I can't take it anymore.

Unless J is doing the rebalancing, I have a feeling you won't pick back up Makoto post patch.

Oh, and the bolded reminded me of all the discussions of cammy in vanilla. Lol.

Threi

notag
so i got the hatemails just now for zoning the fuck out of a thawk player with deejay, i tell him i will let him win next time to cheer him up, he calls me a pussy for backing up

stay classy xbl stay classy

*edit*

Makoto's ex chop is a decent anti crossup btw

and i still say she don't have normals that are unsafe on hit so yeah. She also actually gets played, so you can learn from your peers on how to approach certain matchups

Dartastic

Masamuna said:
Wall of Mak text

You do realize you just mentioned four separate normals as being her AA's. That's retarded, especially since they're all very situational. I do like F MP as a way of keeping pressure on, and her C MP is really good. I do use that a lot. I haven't tried F RH in place of her dash, and I have a feeling I'm not going to. With her you NEED to get in, and when you're kicking someone away you can't set up any options. Yeah, it's useful, but certainly not in place of the dash. None of this changes the fact that she still lacks options that almost every other character in the game have, and it weakens her horribly and makes her ridiculously hard to use. I'd even be ok with the lack of a real overhead if she had a move that broke armor reliably. F HP doesn't work against a lot of moves, and her chop is too slow, unless it's EX. Even still it's a guessing game.

Masamuna said:
Oh, and the bolded reminded me of all the discussions of cammy in vanilla. Lol.

I mean, wtf are you supposed to do if they just holdin down back and techin throws man!?!?!!?

DownBack + Throw Tech > Cammy

Dartastic

FindMyFarms said:
I mean, wtf are you supposed to do if they just holdin down back and techin throws man!?!?!!?

You hope you either have enough meter for an EX chop because normal chop is too slow, you try and cross them up, or you try and karakusa, which also doesn't work well because her range on it isn't too great, and you can't compensate for it because of her walk speed. Or... S MP S MP S MP S MP S MP. Wah wah wahhhhhhhh. :lol

Edit - you could also do that axe kick thingie... but that doesn't always work too well either.

Dartastic said:
You hope you either have enough meter for an EX chop because normal chop is too slow, you try and cross them up, or you try and karakusa, which also doesn't work well because her range on it isn't too great, and you can't compensate for it because of her walk speed. Or... S MP S MP S MP S MP S MP. Wah wah wahhhhhhhh. :lol

Oh shit, dat cammy ex chop is the realness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom