• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
qcf x2 said:
I guess you're right. :lol What's the point of an EX 360 for example, then? I know Mak's gives her one hit of armor, but I assumed it had higher priority since I NEVER land the regular karakusa. I guess people know to jab.

I land karakusa at least 75% of the time I try it. If you never land it, you're probably not conditioning them to block first.

By default, randoms tend to assume you're gonna try and karakusa them all day. So after hayate, etc, they like to either mash jabs or jump. Make them pay for that enough and they'll start blocking (though some learn more quickly than others), which is when you start using karakusa.

A lot of matches I don't even use karakusa because people are content to eat counterhit combos all day.

As far as "priority" goes, ex kara has 5 frames of startup. Her next quickest kara (lk) is 7 frames. When performed at the same time, regular kara shouldn't beat ex kara unless one of them is in range for lk kara, but the other isn't in range for ex kara.

Who needs an xbox anyway?

wAawt.png

HATERS GONNA HATE

jlai

Lost Fragment said:
I land karakusa at least 75% of the time I try it. If you never land it, you're probably not conditioning them to block first.

By default, randoms tend to assume you're gonna try and karakusa them all day. So after hayate, etc, they like to either mash jabs or jump. Make them pay for that enough and they'll start blocking (though some learn more quickly than others), which is when you start using karakusa.

A lot of matches I don't even use karakusa because people are content to eat counterhit combos all day.

As far as "priority" goes, ex kara has 5 frames of startup. Her next quickest kara (lk) is 7 frames. When performed at the same time, regular kara shouldn't beat ex kara unless one of them is in range for lk kara, but the other isn't in range for ex kara.

I can't stress conditioning them to block enough. Then you'll be able to do s.mp xx hayate cancel -> lk karakusa or overhead resets easily

hitsugi

God's Beard said:
Who needs an xbox anyway?

wAawt.png

HATERS GONNA HATE

this is kind of cool..

joystick fix in progress as well. hoping I can make my match vs the_log_ride but he has a busy schedule this week @.@ worse comes to worse I guess I could play it out on pad

Skilotonn said:
Ono's been tweeting that he's in London, and there's an event in London tomorrow morning with all the big dogs in gaming, 11:30 UK time.

Not trying to hype up anything, just throwing that out there.

I did see him tweeting saying hello London and found it strange - all the big dogs in the Euro press are in Germany this week for GamesCom, and 11:30 Tuesday UK time is... the Microsoft press conference over in Cologne. Weird.

MoxManiac

FindMyFarms said:
First thing I do is check to see if the Fei is capable of whiff punishing a cr. medium kick, and whether or not he does his rekka's on reaction to the whiff, or if he just likes to throw them out there.

If he just throws them out there, then I spam cr. mk XX drill OS like a mofo, if he's looking to whiff punish, then you can take advantage of that and just walk forward (since he'll be waiting/walking back looking for a whiff.) Whiff punishing that with rekkas is actually pretty hard.

Outside of the ground game, I neutral/back jump like a MOFO vs. fei long, it's just really good when you have ex dive kick and can catch him on errant chicken wings or rekkas, and fei doesn't really have a solid option to punish it without putting himself into a really risky situation.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on this one, but also make sure your divekicks to punish crouch techs are a little bit higher than normal since fei's cr. short hit box is raised a bit compared to other characters.

You need internets so I can beat your barlog, findmybarns

Rocwell

GatorBait said:
Need advice:

Good non-traditional characters (i.e. no Ryu/Ken please) for a SSF4 beginner?
What does this even mean? You don't want to play characters from the original Street Fighter or SFII or what?

hitsugi

GatorBait said:

almost any character can be broken down to a play style that is simplistic enough to be effective without all of the fancy BS.

that being said.. Rufus? if you're an SSF4 beginner why are you already ruling out Ryu? Ken is too much work imo, and that's coming from someone that plays Guy :lol

SmokeMaxX

GatorBait said:
Need advice:

Yeah what is a nontraditional character?

If Guile counts, pick Guile. He has just about everything you need.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
GatorBait said:
Need advice:

It doesn't get any more simple than Ken and Ryu really. But any character is easy pick me up and play as a beginner. Super was created that way. This is a question that you yourself need to answer. Pick every character, invest a certain amount of time into each and decide for yourself.

Satyamdas

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
And Saty wins the (relatively lag-free) Viper/Sim runback.

GGs. Glad I did a bit better against you with Makoto than I did last time.
GGs dude. I knew it was gonna be a rough set after the ranked match, half the time I'm just in awe of your Mak skills and forget to actually play.

Those mp/karakusa traps are so vicious man. Makoto might have a bit of tough time getting in, but once she does she hits like a Mack(derp) truck and does crazy stun. Her mixups might not be the best in the game but they are good and when you guess wrong you get wrecked hard. At least Sim does.

black_vegeta said:
Time to whore out my YouTube channel.

Alright, so my YouTube channel went into a different direction during my ban. Instead of uploading vids of my scrubby ass, I started uploading "Japanese" XBL replays. Since LordAborigine hasn't been uploading any SSF4 vids, I'll be helping out getting some vids out to the community. ;)

They feature gameinn, Iyo, Sako, Tokido, GamerBee, Desora, Uryo, Inco, Mago, YHCmochi, Nemo, PPN, Air, etc as well some up and coming players trying to make a name for themselves playing with the big boys.

It may not be direct feed video capturing but at least you'll be able to see how the Japanese top players are doing until the arcade releases.

Check it out and suscribe!

http://www.youtube.com/user/XblackvegetaX

Note: I'm trying to find Kindevu and AC Revenger replays, but they rarely play. :(

Thank you.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
black_vegeta said:

Alright, so my YouTube channel went into a different direction during my ban. Instead of uploading vids of my scrubby ass, I started uploading "Japanese" XBL replays. Since LordAborigine hasn't been uploading any SSF4 vids, I'll be helping out getting some vids out to the community. ;)

They feature gameinn, Iyo, Sako, Tokido, GamerBee, Desora, Uryo, Inco, Mago, YHCmochi, Nemo, PPN, Air, etc as well some up and coming players trying to make a name for themselves playing with the big boys.

It may not be direct feed video capturing but at least you'll be able to see how the Japanese top players are doing until the arcade releases.

Note: I'm trying to find Kindevu and AC Revenger replays, but they rarely play. :(

Get some Makoto action in there and I'll subscribe :)

Satyamdas said:
GGs dude. I knew it was gonna be a rough set after the ranked match, half the time I'm just in awe of your Mak skills and forget to actually play.

Those mp/karakusa traps are so vicious man. Makoto might have a bit of tough time getting in, but once she does she hits like a Mack(derp) truck and does crazy stun. Her mixups might not be the best in the game but they are good and when you guess wrong you get wrecked hard. At least Sim does.

Yeah her mixups are good, but not the best. The payoff on those mixups though is really, really good.

gutabo said:
Hey, aren't the vulnerable areas supposed to be empty green/red squares?(green squares being vulnerable to everything and red sqares being invulnerable to projectiles and vulnerable to everything else not being a throw)
And, yes, it's a shitty as hell hitbox. At least(if I'm right) freejay is invincible during that specific frame, I guess.

You are correct. I don't think we are being shown everything, aka there is probably more than one part to that move.

You want a good example that will take a while to go through of a multi-part attack? Geif's lariat lol. 7 or 8 separate pictures.

Edit: nvm beaten to it lol.

GatorBait

hitsugi said:
that being said.. Rufus? if you're an SSF4 beginner why are you already ruling out Ryu? Ken is too much work imo, and that's coming from someone that plays Guy :lol
I am a beginner, but I have been playing SF2 since I was a kid, so Ryu and Ken are played out to me. I'd like to start out playing as some fresh blood.

Rocwell said:
What does this even mean? You don't want to play characters from the original Street Fighter or SFII or what?
Sorry, I should have been more specific since "non-traditional" is a pretty undefined term when it comes to SF. I'd prefer someone who wasn't in the original cast of Street Fighter 2. At the moment I'm using Cammy, but I wonder if there are any recommendation for even newer characters that aren't too difficult for a noob to pick up?

Rocwell

GatorBait said:
I am a beginner, but I have been playing SF2 since I was a kid, so Ryu and Ken are played out to me. I'd like to start out playing as some fresh blood.

Sorry, I should have been more specific since "non-traditional" is a pretty undefined term when it comes to SF. I'd prefer someone who wasn't in the original cast of Street Fighter 2. At the moment I'm using Cammy, but I wonder if there are any recommendation for even newer characters that aren't too difficult for a noob to pick up?
I think Cody would probably be a good place to start, he strikes me as a pretty straight forward pick up and play kind of character.

Grifter

dragonballjoseph said:
You want to hit Dan when he's under you.
By hitting above him, he'll juggle above you, giving you time to super him.
Took me a sec to get what you meant but I got it, thanks! Fairly painless set of challenges.

Just went to see if I could find any random matches of me on Youtube to study and the results are universally terrible! There's a BlazBlue game where I know the other took 1 game out of a long set and of course, he posted that one. :(

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Threi said:
that's not his dread kick it's his U1

his lk dread has a pretty good hitbox actually:

hwjhv.jpg

Ooooooh, my mistake then.

I don't use that Ultra at all, I stick to U2, and even still I tend not to pull that Ultra out unless it's a reversal or sure-fire punish - I spent some time practicing EX MGU into walk-up U2, and could actually pull it off 60% of the time, but I'm never strategically thinking that much in a match anyways to even think about using it...

black_vegeta said:

What's the best way to find replays? (from friends or very old replays from myself?)

FindMyFarms said:
First thing I do is check to see if the Fei is capable of whiff punishing a cr. medium kick, and whether or not he does his rekka's on reaction to the whiff, or if he just likes to throw them out there.

If he just throws them out there, then I spam cr. mk XX drill OS like a mofo, if he's looking to whiff punish, then you can take advantage of that and just walk forward (since he'll be waiting/walking back looking for a whiff.) Whiff punishing that with rekkas is actually pretty hard.

Outside of the ground game, I neutral/back jump like a MOFO vs. fei long, it's just really good when you have ex dive kick and can catch him on errant chicken wings or rekkas, and fei doesn't really have a solid option to punish it without putting himself into a really risky situation.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on this one, but also make sure your divekicks to punish crouch techs are a little bit higher than normal since fei's cr. short hit box is raised a bit compared to other characters.

Thanks for this, he probably gonna come through for the next major so I'm gonna have to go through him again most likely.

I was just completely out of sorts against him. This and some stuff doods posted on the cammy board will help alot.

schennmu said:
What's the best way to find replays? (from friends or very old replays from myself?)
Well, there is no search feature so you can't search for shit. The way I do it is to scroll through each one individually. It's a pain in the ass but I find alot of good matches that way.

@Lost Fragment

So far, I've only seen 2 good Makoto's. I'm defintely looking out for dem Mak players though. :). Same goes for the rest of the cast.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
black_vegeta said:
Well, there is no search feature so you can't search for shit. The way I do it is to scroll through each one individually. It's a pain in the ass but I find alot of good matches that way.

@Lost Fragment

So far, I've only seen 2 good Makoto's. I'm defintely looking out for dem Mak players though. :). Same goes for the rest of the cast.

Yeah Bigdanmul and mok11bk (and v-ryu I guess since he's Dutch or something) are the only foreign Makotos I know of that are exceptionally good. I'm sure there are some others though that have slipped between the cracks.

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah Bigdanmul and mok11bk (and v-ryu I guess since he's Dutch or something) are the only foreign Makotos I know of that are exceptionally good. I'm sure there are some others though that have slipped between the cracks.
Those were the 2 Mak's I was referring too. I'm still looking for some others.

Axis

gg's whoever i played tonight. threi, i'm free wednesday night through saturday night..whenever you wanna play

black_vegeta said:
Thanks, I just started uploading the Japanese matches. I upload almost everyday.

keep em coming (esp. Kiryu's vids ;-). I've subscribed to your channel a while ago.

edit: ugh, trying to remove the rust last night. Some scrub Ken destroyed my Guy like 10 in a row. Then I caved and used Chun and Cammy to kick his ass and feel a bit better about myself, lol.

USD

Note to self: Don't push punch instead of kick. Fucked up an ultra punish because I'm pushing the wrong buttons. No wonder I can't get the ultra to come out. :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
USD said:
Sak tier the new Mak tier. :lol

I refuse to buy Sak as worst char in game. She has too much potential to mixup GGPO you.

That said, if the "worst char" has no matchups worse then 4-6, then Capcom did their job on balance.

My rule on matchups is I don't think anything should be worse then 6-4. I only saw like 8 matchups worse then that among 35 chars, and well, you can't complain about that too much.

To me right now, the only real legitimate complaint about SSF4 is how the game reads inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom