• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
n3ss said:
iplaywinner's tier list!

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I am liking it.

A: Guile, Akuma, Dictator, Chun-Li, Cammy, Abel, Rufus, Boxer, E. Hond

:D

I'm so glad they fixed the Dudley section, it was so fucked up last time. I do think that Dudley might be 5.5 vs Akuma, 3.5 vs Dhalsim and 4.5 vs Seth, maaaybe 4.5 vs Juri, but it's a pretty solid chart as far as Dudley goes.

I wonder if they looked at my post, most of the changes are right with what I said last time :D

Aww yeah 6-4 for Blanka. Green man ain't shit.

They also finally changed the tier sections to groups of ten, that bothered me before :D

USD said:
What the fuck is with people picking Dudley in my second match against them? At first I thought it was a Guile thing, but then it kept happening when I switched to Fei. It's either Ryu or Dudley (if they switch characters).

Obviously everyone read my Dudley guide and found true love.

DR2K

Banned
vocab said:
Her gimmicks relied on her engine. SFIV goes against her play style. It's like making Gief viable in a marvel game.

He was viable in MVC, XvsSF. iirc

She only needs a few tweaks though. A reliable AA(from kockdown) alone would sky rocket her. karakusa getting a slight priority buff, her srk punch getting a bigger hitbox would be so good. SFIV isn't really cramping her style as much as her nerfs did.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God's Beard said:
Obviously everyone read my Dudley guide and found true love.
Link!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
DR2K said:
He was viable in MVC, XvsSF. iirc

She only needs a few tweaks though. A reliable AA(from kockdown) alone would sky rocket her. karakusa getting a slight priority buff, her srk punch getting a bigger hitbox would be so good. SFIV isn't really cramping her style as much as her nerfs did.

I've heard a lot of complaints about Makoto, but that's the first time I've heard someone want that. Her AA game is already really, really good.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Anyone want to play with me ? Or am I still shunned from the gaf-sf4 community for being so god damn cute?

USD

Ah, I found the culprit: my controller. My FightPad D-pad is fucking up. Now I know why the forward walk was happening on the 1P side. And why I would be blocking low on the 2P side and still getting hit.

Corky

Wiseblade said:
I'll fight you.

gg's man, sorry for the random afks, my mum is back from operation so from time to time she wants a pillow or a glass of tea or something like that.

Also fucking lag :( , luckily it disappeared after a while

Satyamdas

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
Uploaded the tail end of the set I had with Saty the other night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7WPodj879U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HAMao7DNGU

Starting to dislike watching videos of myself, because every time I'm all like "why did I do that instead of this? No no, don't do that. Why aren't you doing that?" :lol Hindsight and all that, I guess.
UGGHHHHH. I never like watching vids of myself but dude that was painful. A few of my executional errors were due to the lag that would pop up every now and then, but there is no excuse for my shitty decision making. So many stupid and risky moves (like HK slides and level 3 focuses, ugh), horrible defense, too much jumping, etc. I've been in a huge slump lately, playing very poorly, and these matches are a perfect example of it. :(

Corky

Satyamdas said:
UGGHHHHH. I never like watching vids of myself but dude that was painful. A few of my executional errors were due to the lag that would pop up every now and then, but there is no excuse for my shitty decision making. So many stupid and risky moves (like HK slides and level 3 focuses, ugh), horrible defense, too much jumping, etc. I've been in a huge slump lately, playing very poorly, and these matches are a perfect example of it. :(

hey saty, are you :

a) an american resident?
b) sitting on a 1gbs broadband?

Satyamdas

Banned
Heh, yeah I'm in Los Angeles, Ca. And my internet situation is a whole other touchy subject. I'd do some questionable things for some FiOS right about now.

Satyamdas said:

Being a beginner I can't tell if I'm when there is input lag or how you guys can tell there is this many frames of input lagging.

Is this an insight something I will eventually just pick up?

I usually think that the reason I mess up is because I need to learn to relax more in fights.

Corky

Satyamdas said:
Heh, yeah I'm in Los Angeles, Ca. And my internet situation is a whole other touchy subject. I'd do some questionable things for some FiOS right about now.

:'( , sniff...ok... playing great dhalsims is one of my shameful joys in super. It kinda feels like you're against somekind of bosscharacter. You cant really get close and if you do you've gotta unleash hell on our poor hindufriend or else he gets ya.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
bigmit3737 said:
Being a beginner I can't tell if I'm when there is input lag or how you guys can tell there is this many frames of input lagging.

Is this an insight something I will eventually just pick up?

I usually think that the reason I mess up is because I need to learn to relax more in fights.

You can't tell lag from a vid.

Corky said:
:'( , sniff...ok... playing great dhalsims is one of my shameful joys in super. It kinda feels like you're against somekind of bosscharacter. You cant really get close and if you do you've gotta unleash hell on our poor hindufriend or else he gets ya.

It's all about the balls-out rushdown. Take the hits and never stop coming. Don't let them get comfy with the stretchy limbs.

I say that, but I still lose every time :lol

derFeef

bigmit3737 said:
No I meant by playing. I usually just assume I missed a link because I inputed too early by being too excited.
Negative brain-lag? ;)
But I know what you mean, I have that problem too. Especially with Sagat, which I do not understand.

Grifter

For you guys critiquing the tier list, I hope you're basing off of offline matches.

arstal said:
Most likely- lagswitches. Ranked mode has a good number of cheats. Not as bad as HDR, but still a pretty decent amount.

What's going on in HDR? Wow, nice tag!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Grifter said:
For you guys critiquing the tier list, I hope you're basing off of offline matches.

That and theory fighter, yep.

And why not? I think it goes without saying that most people here don't have as much weight with their opinions because we're mostly noname online warriors. But regardless of my residence in Nowhere, USA, I have both a mind of my own and enough knowledge of the game to come to my own conclusions.

'sides, it's pretty obvious that a handful of the stuff on the IPW list isn't based on offline or online matches.

Grifter

Lost Fragment said:
That and theory fighter, yep.

And why not? I think it goes without saying that most people here don't have as much weight with their opinions because we're mostly noname online warriors. But regardless of my residence in Nowhere, USA, I have both a mind of my own and enough knowledge of the game to come to my own conclusions.

'sides, it's pretty obvious that a handful of the stuff on the IPW list isn't based on offline or online matches.
There's enough knowledge here to help almost any player. Online is great for that, but from going back and forth, my feel for matchups differ wildly when lag kicks in - both from my own play and watching others sort out what works when they go online. This list is based off of matchups and AFAIK, polled from tourney players.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Grifter said:
There's enough knowledge here to help almost any player. Online is great for that, but from going back and forth, my feel for matchups differ wildly when lag kicks in - both from my own play and watching others sort out what works when they go online. This list is based off of matchups and AFAIK, polled from tourney players.

I wish for lagless gaming someday. Would be awesome =(

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Grifter said:

Maybe it's just because I didn't get a ton of sleep last night and I'm hung over but this post is all over the place to me and I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say.

But I'll just say that, I'm assuming that a lot of people here (myself included) aren't taking their opinions on their personal tier list too seriously and nobody's being all like "IPW tier list is complete garbage lol I beat *insert person who supposedly contributed to the IPW list* in an online match once wtf does he know?" or anything.

I'm sure there's lots of that at Eventhubs though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
God's Beard said:
Even if everyone had a light speed connection, you would still get a frame or two of lag.
Everyone already does have a light speed connection, or close enough anyway. Signal speed isn't the issue.

Corky

anyone up for some games? I play a whole slew of random characters, coinsidentely I suck with all of them

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Grifter said:

HDR, tons of people, at least on PSN use autofire or Akuma (banned char)

Plus since there's no ragequit penalty- if you go through all that, they just ragequit.

Still, just because a person doesn't win Evo, does not mean that they have a completely ill-informed opinion about the game. That's like saying a dude in AAA knows nothing about baseball because he isn't Albert Pujols.

GatorBait

Random question:

I just bought SSF4 the other day. Did Capcom ever release any additional characters to SF4 via DLC or were all the new characters only disc-based?

taku

GatorBait said:
Random question:

I just bought SSF4 the other day. Did Capcom ever release any additional characters to SF4 via DLC or were all the new characters only disc-based?
You're all set, mate.

Grifter

Lost Fragment said:
Maybe it's just because I didn't get a ton of sleep last night and I'm hung over but this post is all over the place to me and I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say.

But I'll just say that, I'm assuming that a lot of people here (myself included) aren't taking their opinions on their personal tier list too seriously and nobody's being all like "IPW tier list is complete garbage lol I beat *insert person who supposedly contributed to the IPW list* in an online match once wtf does he know?" or anything.

I'm sure there's lots of that at Eventhubs though.
Maybe you're adding some unintended subtext to what I said, maybe I shouldn't post in a rush from work. I mean to say that tier lists are based on the tally of one character v. rest of cast. Said character v. any other given character wasn't balanced with lag as an equation and lag can affect individual matchups immensely, based on what I've found with some smart friends, so that's in our opinion. If you only play online, I think it's hard to relate to some key offline nuances that are hard to recreate, like the effect of tight footsies.

Someone earlier said that Eita was missing combos on the stream due to the English voices throwing him off, and my buddy mentioned that Daigo was the first to complain about the laggy stream setup at Evo. The more you play and go for tight execution, the more you notice the impact of a slight desync. Personally, I can hit-confirm jab to fierce offline on my friend's CRT and that swings matches.

Just wanted to throw that in as a factor when critiquing the tiers. I trust the theory here more than anywhere else. I play online just for that - to see what happens when I use my move A to counter their move B. Guess that's a mixed message but to sum up - I don't fully trust of online breakdown for why Ryu beats Ken, but I can constantly test things like if Ryu c.mk will stuff Ken f.mk with in-game spacing and see if it's worth doing in the context of a match.

Grifter

arstal said:
HDR, tons of people, at least on PSN use autofire or Akuma (banned char)

Plus since there's no ragequit penalty- if you go through all that, they just ragequit.
I thought Akuma got banned from ranked?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Grifter said:
I thought Akuma got banned from ranked?

Nope. Sirlin wanted to do it (or fix the stuff that made Akuma OP) , but Backbone knocked him off the project (probably for the barbs Sirlin publicly posted- pretty much calling them a shovelware developer) It was on his site, but was taken off.

So now he's making his own fighter, which will at least have good music.

Grifter

arstal said:
Nope. Sirlin wanted to do it, but Backbone knocked him off the project (probably for the barbs Sirlin publicly posted- pretty much calling them a shovelware developer) It was on his site, but was taken off.
:lol Well, they are; but I thought he worked for them directly.

MIMIC

Banned
Guile is the perfect turtle. I got a quadruple perfect (2 games) against my brother. :lol I'd never actually play that way against anyone; just did it to see if I could =p

rocK`

Banned
Kadey said:
That's why I don't take online play seriously. Grapplers have an advantage with lag as well as special moves coming out with mashing inputs. Some times when I do a crossup or even a regular jump in kick, I immediately eat something. The only thing to do is block afterward and then punish them. It gets old though. Especially since I'm always trying to go for a combo. I know I shouldn't but that's just how I play.

I drop combos on purpose because the reward (getting that little extra damage) is not worth the risk (eating a dp fadc ultra or a mash out ex 360).

A few days ago I made a post about getting a new video card for Starcraft, but the first game I played was vanilla SF4. Last night I spent 4 hours playing the game online. It was one of those times where I said I'll play a few matches and it spiraled out of control after losing one too many times and wanting revenge and so on.

A few things I have to say about that experience

1) The timing seems different for Ryu. Doing short, jab, SRK seemed the same but trying to do cr. MP, cr. MP, cr. HK seemed a little different. And for some reason I was nailing cr. HP after F+HP a lot, which I can almost never do in SSF4. Mainly it was the 1 and some 2 frame links that stood out to me. I was playing the game at 1080p, but on the same exact monitor that I play SSF4 PS3 on so maybe it's just me or there is a slight difference between the two games.

2) I was one of those people who kind of felt sorry for Sagat after the nerf, but then I ran into some guys and played them a lot and all I have to say is FUCK SAGAT, I'm glad that bitch ass got nerfed. These guys I played weren't doing any hit confirm combos, FADC into Ultra, or knew the TK trap. They basically won by playing keep away, using the high priority j. MP, running into 170 damage Tiger Uppercuts(random and punishes), and getting 110 damage off the tail end of the TK and st. HK which do almost no damage now in SSF4.

I did also run into Protocol Snow and lost a match. I hosted again but he didn't come back :( . I also notice that kakthinfected is still playing the game, I would have played some against you(if you're reading this) but it was getting late and I had to go to sleep.

Overall I'd say my trip into the past tells me that I'm happy with the changes to SSF4. Oh and FUCK SAGAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom