• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

Finaika said:
What do you guys mean by "target combos"?
A target combo contains of normal attacks that cancel into each other. You do not have to link them (wait for animation to end). For example LK>MK>HK for ibuki

(did I right, gaf?)

vocab

Finaika said:

Some characters have target combos that are pretty much chain combos. There's no link timing, it's just tapping the buttons in the right order. They usually follow the magic series order of light > medium > heavy. Think of Juri's Feng Shui Engine.

Wiseblade

MicVlaD said:
Question: anyone willing to look up some vids for of US / JP Dhalsim's facing the following characters? Those with insightful commentary would also be a plus, though not necessary by default. Preferably today as well.

- Honda
- Balrog (Boxer)
- Rufus
- Viper
- Ibuki
- Juri

I know what to do against 'em to some extent (some more than others admittedly), but I'd like to see how the general flow is at high-level play and maybe pick up a few things I may have overlooked before. I'd search for 'em myself, but I'll be travelling today to attend a relatively big tournament so I need to get some stuff ready in the mean time. Thanks.

You're coming to Super vs Battle?! Great!

~Devil Trigger~ said:
i think there's enough Iyo and Sabin vids out there vs the best of these characters.

though Iyo only played Vanilla
Yeah, video's of the first four are somewhat easy to find, but had no luck with the latter two myself. Only saw Ibuki vs Dhalsim at Summer Jam 4, but that was the only time I've seen the match-up on a stream or wherever.

Threi said:
did you check iplaywinner/sf4tube?
Hadn't at the time I wrote the post, but they do seem to have a pretty good number of 'em now that you mention it. Will check them out later if I have the time.

EDIT: except for Dhalsim vs Juri.

Wiseblade said:
You're coming to Super vs Battle?! Great!
Soneet from the previous page too, I noticed.

So, Mad Catz just offered me the chance to interview Daigo at Super Vs Battle... Desperately trying to get out there now... Didn't even know the damn thing was on 'til now.

nycfurby said:
Wow I got way too close to getting blown up today. Lucky charms

You should commentate more.
I didn't watch the whole stream but I was watching when Adnan was facing a Balrog..and you were pointing out things he shouldn't do, like I think AA an empty jump.

Or how you gave advice about what that other Balrog was doing wrong...
Focusing from the end of the screen instead of mid-screen, which was making him easy to read.

I find that advice very helpful.

Dai Kaiju

I'm having trouble getting some of the combos to work in challenge mode that look like they should be simple.

For example, this 2 hit combo with Sim:

Crouch MP
Crouch LP

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I'm new to SF.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Finaika said:

Chain combos in SFA1/RBFF , gatling combos in Arcsys games , and target combos in SF are all pretty much the same thing.

USD

Dai Kaiju said:
I'm having trouble getting some of the combos to work in challenge mode that look like they should be simple.

For example, this 2 hit combo with Sim:

Crouch MP
Crouch LP

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I'm new to SF.
Not a Sim player, but he has two sets of normals: neutral and while holding back. You might need to do down-back + punch to get the moves to combo.

Wiseblade said:
Including Markman, and myself that makes 4 Gaffers. Anyone else?

I'm so dumb for not going, after getting over my hissy-fitting caused by my joystick (by buying a new stick for my SE...) I managed to find someone who could house me but sign-ups were closed already :( It's completely unrelated to Shinji and Infexious taking 10 straight rounds against me whenever I play them destroying my hopes of doing well in it...

So I won't be showing up, hope you and VlaD get put on blast by Abels ;)

zlatko

Banned
Adam Prime said:
:lol Did you guys see this? http://iplaywinner.com/news/2010/8/18/wcg-ultimate-gamer-preview-clip-feat-justin-wong.html

There's some "Ultimate Gamer TV Show" with Justin Wong on it... and there's a clip of them playing Tekken. It's pretty funny, gotta watch it if this hasn't been posted already.

LMAO! This is awesome. I do hope J.Wong wins this whole TV show, because I'm sure his victory speech will become an instant classic in the fighting game community to bring up at tournies and streams. :lol

zlatko said:
LMAO! This is awesome. I do hope J.Wong wins this whole TV show, because I'm sure his victory speech will become an instant classic in the fighting game community to bring up at tournies and streams. :lol

yeah, I hope the winner isn't somone whose specialty is rhythm or sports games, ugh! Go Wong!

rocK`

Banned
BotoxAgent said:
yeah, I hope the winner isn't somone whose specialty is rhythm or sports games, ugh! Go Wong!

Having played in Jpn arcades with Justin, let me tell you that rhythm games aren't foreign to him.

Sports games, maybe. But definitely not rhythm games. also, I own him for free in yugioh for the DS

I hope someone puts up that show on YT or something, got to see this. I don't know how good Wong is in non fighting games but he has a good chance of taking it I think. And lol @ that Tekken clip.

_dementia said:
but he has srk in his name

That's why he didn't win :D

Wiseblade

rocK` said:
Having played in Jpn arcades with Justin, let me tell you that rhythm games aren't foreign to him.

Sports games, maybe. But definitely not rhythm games. also, I own him for free in yugioh for the DS

:lol

What decks do you use? I mainly roll with a spell counter deck.

rocK`

Banned
Wiseblade said:
:lol

What decks do you use? I mainly roll with a spell counter deck.

Funny you mention that, I believe I primarily used spell casters judgement (I think its what you refer to as a spell counter deck).

I don't play YGO a lot, more MTG -- but the YGO DS games are phenomenal. Not sure why duels of the planeswalkers can't even compete.

Wiseblade

rocK` said:
Funny you mention that, I believe I primarily used spell casters judgement (I think its what you refer to as a spell counter deck).

I don't play YGO a lot, more MTG -- but the YGO DS games are phenomenal. Not sure why duels of the planeswalkers can't even compete.

Sort of, but it's more like a modified version of this deck. The past couple of years have provided a slew of cards that specifically add and store spell counters along with some really cool monsters to exploit them. It takes a few turns to get going, but can be really dangerous when it does.

rocK` said:

that's good to hear. Hopefully, when Wong has to play games other than fighting, he will own them as well.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Caj814 said:
Messed around with Cody for a bit the other night.I kept doing unsafe blockstrings :lol.Any advice other wise?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ-twfuEEQI
Wow, there's not many times I can watch a whole 10 min video of Super games on Youtube... but damn was this entertaining! Extremely good Cody IMO.

Edit: only advice I can give you is parts like these:

06:33, it's an awesome block string but don't continue with that last hit and make it unsafe :lol It's not the first time either!

Edit 2: 08:19 :lol :lol I can't believe he tried to chip that! What a come back, good work man.

zlatko

Banned
I think I really have to give this game props for teaching me to become better at not raging out over games. I still have a few just WTF I can't believe this crap moments that set me off, but sticking with this game for months now just has made me a calmer and more patient person for the most part.

Anyone have some insight on the Juri vs Abel match up? I'm the Abel and I just have a damn hard time sometimes getting in on her or dealing with constant pinwheel pressure.

zlatko said:
I think I really have to give this game props for teaching me to become better at not raging out over games. I still have a few just WTF I can't believe this crap moments that set me off, but sticking with this game for months now just has made me a calmer and more patient person for the most part.

Anyone have some insight on the Juri vs Abel match up? I'm the Abel and I just have a damn hard time sometimes getting in on her or dealing with constant pinwheel pressure.

This game has improved my reactions speeds and "learning by observing" speed.

Since I am constantly looking for patterns of how people play, I have learned to be more observant and absorb more in.

The other day I took a Salsa class, and I was able to pick up a lot of complicated steps (for me) a lot, lot faster. This has to be Street Fighter.

zlatko

Banned
bigmit3737 said:
This game has improved my reactions speeds and "learning by observing" speed.

Since I am constantly looking for patterns of how people play, I have learned to be more observant and absorb more in.

The other day I took a Salsa class, and I was able to pick up a lot of complicated steps (for me) a lot, lot faster. This has to be Street Fighter.

I noticed that too a while back. I can download people much easier now after 1 round. I quick analyze after 1 round what worked for you and what didn't work for me and adjust from there. I'll also open up space if matches get to low health on both people and just think real quick what's my safest option or something I haven't tried yet and go from there.

I played a Gouken player the other day where the first round was hella close and I squeezed out the win. Second round he did minor damage and I stormed him. He later joined a game again and both rounds were me getting near perfects, because I had completely read what his attack patterns were.

This game and fighters in general seem to make you better at a lot of things. Hopefully it will transfer over to SC2 when I get soon. :lol

zlatko said:

Hey look you're back.

The guy that raged at us from other forums when he got banned.

Caj814 said:
Messed around with Cody for a bit the other night.I kept doing unsafe blockstrings :lol.Any advice other wise?

You seem to want to finish all your block strings with a special move..

Or you will go into f. mp and then into a jab or cr. lk and back into another move..

Just keep working on hit confirms and registering counter hits when in those strings.

Maybe use more standing cl. mp as well then comboing from that. All his moves are unsafe after block strings so he isnt like a Ryu or Ken with an easy hadoken block string unfortunately. But lp criminal upper is probably his safest bet.. its -5 on block but at least if you get a block string on it it pushes you far away so u cant be terribly punished by some people. Some people like Ryus think you are doing a fp criminal upper so sometimes they punish with a cr. rh which is -14 on block.. then you can get a free ultra 2 reversal on block I believe.. since Cody U2 is like 7 or 8 frames

May be wrong.. someone correct me if I am

zlatko said:

just attack her. seriously.

XenoRaven

I discovered something about myself last night. I can not just hold neutral down on a stick. I should learn so I can stop missing headstomp combos with Chun and CU combos with Cody.

zlatko

Banned
AkumaHokoru said:
just attack her. seriously.
:lol I just tested some stuff out in training on what works for punishes and when so hopefully it'll make it better. I think my major problem is what to do for mix ups off a knock down on her. Eat too many ex pinwheels and if I try to bait them out they don't come out and she gets away.

I should hopefully do better next time against one that's good. Any chance you want to do some games now or later on ?

zlatko said:
:lol I just tested some stuff out in training on what works for punishes and when so hopefully it'll make it better. I think my major problem is what to do for mix ups off a knock down on her. Eat too many ex pinwheels and if I try to bait them out they don't come out and she gets away.

I should hopefully do better next time against one that's good. Any chance you want to do some games now or later on ?
we may as well play now.

TimeKillr

zlatko said:

Pinwheel and EX Pinwheel is not throw invincible.

Juri has a weakass wakeup game. All the can do against Abel is backdash or forward/back jump. Neutral jump gets Falling Sky.

NONE of her other options can work. Just knock her down and go to town :)

TimeKillr said:

Juri has a weakass wakeup game. All the can do against Abel is backdash or forward/back jump. Neutral jump gets Falling Sky.

Some of this is right. some of this is extremely player dependant.

zlatko

Banned
TimeKillr said:

Akuma's Juri just doesn't give you an inch. Even when I do knock him down he always picks the right option to what I want to use. He's a mind reader I tell you. :p

TimeKillr

AkumaHokoru said:
Some of this is right. some of this is extremely player dependant.

Well that's the Abel - Juri matchup.

In all cases ALL of her wakeup options CAN be grabbed except jump and backdash, by everyone.

The difference is against Abel and the shotos, she also can't neutral jump on wakeup.

It's sad :( I love Juri, but her stuff is SOOOO unsafe if you don't space it just right. :(

You just gotta be careful with Abel not to try a TT, since those will not recover fast enough if she does a neutral jump.

She can try to tech out of the throw attempt, but that's pretty risky on her part (more risk than reward when she is getting up, for her).

back to watching baseball.

TimeKillr said:

In all cases ALL of her wakeup options CAN be grabbed except jump and backdash, by everyone.

The difference is against Abel and the shotos, she also can't neutral jump on wakeup.

It's sad :( I love Juri, but her stuff is SOOOO unsafe if you don't space it just right. :(

You just gotta be careful with Abel not to try a TT, since those will not recover fast enough if she does a neutral jump.

She can try to tech out of the throw attempt, but that's pretty risky on her part (more risk than reward when she is getting up, for her).
That much is true. my friend yuri who refuses to enter tournaments but is a really solid abel pretty much negates me trying to act up all the time.

zlatko

Banned
TimeKillr said:

I sort of gave up and just tried my Adon instead and managed to get two games off Akuma.

Good games Akuma. I still have a long ways to go with both Abel and Adon, but I think I've seen a bit more on what to at least watch out for or expect from a good Juri.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
21c57jn.jpg

Axis

ran into flash metroid in ranked. lost to flash metroid in ranked

is he good with like the whole cast or some shit?

Gyrian

Lost Fragment said:

That's just...
You know, I'd seen the outfit in his twitter photos, and it crossed my mind that it could be his own.

Naaah, he wouldn--yes, yes he would.
He might as well have dyed his hair orange, and greenfaced himself some Blanka.

EDIT: Ha, right there in his right hand!

Aedile

black_vegeta said:
Who did he use?

I've only seen him use Viper and Mak.

Don't know who he played against Axis, but on the Option Select stream he said that he's dropped Viper and is maining Chun now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom