• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yesterday I saw an Akuma player who used a stick modded into a keyboard layout, complete with arrow keys on the right.

Or I might have been hallucinating, I was so tired.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hitokage said:
Yesterday I saw an Akuma player who used a stick modded into a keyboard layout, complete with arrow keys on the right.

If I remember correctly, someone at last year's Evo or devstation was playing with a modded keyboard stick. He was also using the arrow keys lol.
Spiderjericho said:
It's better than him holding Flite and Pringles.
True true, but him holding some jalapeno pringles in this pic would be also acceptable. Diego Umehuarez loves some jalapeno pringles.

Threi

notag
Hitokage said:

i personally think the keyboard layout can be a viable control scheme (even moreso than using a dpad) for SF. You have more than one finger on directional control, so you can can make movements in different directions quickly. Also no input errors regarding diagonals. Would probably be hell for grapplers though.

just takes tons of practice though i guess.

Threi said:
i personally think the keyboard layout can be a viable control scheme (even moreso than using a dpad) for SF. You have more than one finger on directional control, so you can can make movements in different directions quickly. Also no input errors regarding diagonals. Would probably be hell for grapplers though.

just takes tons of practice though i guess.

I used a keyboard before I got my stick, so I can vouch for it. It was flawless for Q, who had no diagonal moves or srk motions, and you don't ever make execution errors like you would with a stick or pad. I actually still prefer a keyboard for playing Q in 3rd Strike, but a stick is better for everything else, so I tend to just use my modded SE.

WASD + 456123 on the numpad is godlike.

GatorBait

What's everybody's opinion on special move shortcuts? Anyone use them? Like them? Hate them because it is a move that caters to casual players?

I've been continuing to use the real SRK input so I keep my muscle memory for other fighting games. Other than that, I haven't been able to come to an educated opinion on whether I like them or not. I have noticed that I occasionally get SRKs that come out randomly because of shortcuts, which I haven't been a fan of.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Hitokage said:

Ryu9999 or something? I know he used one of those at EVO, and I think I saw him post here at one point (think he got perma-ed, unsure)

GatorBait said:
What's everybody's opinion on special move shortcuts? Anyone use them? Like them? Hate them because it is a move that caters to casual players?

I've been continuing to use the real SRK input so I keep my muscle memory for other fighting games. Other than that, I haven't been able to come to an educated opinion on whether I like them or not. I have noticed that I occasionally get SRKs that come out randomly because of shortcuts, which I haven't been a fan of.

Try playing as Seth, you'll see how annoying they can get if you're not careful. But as long as you keep your inputs cleans there should be no problem.

Gyrian

GatorBait said:

I disliked them intensely when I played on a pad.
They always seemed to have a way to net me the wrong move at the wrong time by accident.

Much less of an issue since I picked up the stick, but I'm still not too fond.

Gyrian said:
I disliked them intensely when I played on a pad.
They always seemed to have a way to net me the wrong move at the wrong time by accident.

Much less of an issue since I picked up the stick, but I'm still not too fond.

Gyri

is there another tournament today?? :lol

or was tournament 3 ever announced?

vocab

GatorBait said:

Ruined the game for me.

Gyrian

EraldoCoil said:
Gyri

is there another tournament today?? :lol

or was tournament 3 ever announced?

No tournament.
I had today as a tentative date, but organizing the Ranking Battle took all my focus.

When I run a third PSN Tourney, all the details will be clearly posted.

Satyamdas

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
So after blastin the first IPW tier list for super, I gotta say I agree with their most recent one a lot more though. One matchup that stuck out to me though was Sim-Rog 6-4 in sim's favor. In my experience I always felt like Rog had so many tools to get around Sim's zoning, along with jabs that were +4 on block to keep dhalsim locked down when he was in. Because of those things, I actually had Rog with the advantage in that matchup. Obviously, that was vanilla though, and I never touched that matchup in Super.

For the dhalsim/rog players here, do you agree that's a 6-4 matchup in Dhalsim's favor?
I think 6-4 Sim is a direct result of Filipino Champ's well-earned confidence in the matchup. He plays a lot of really good Rogs and does really well against them, so I can see why he thinks the matchup is in Sim's favor. I felt like the match was 5-5 in vanilla, and if Super tweaked it in Sim's favor I don't see it being more than 5.5-4.5. I still think it's 5-5. I'm nowhere near Champ's level though, so a lot of times it feels like 6-4 Rog to me.

The thing is, Rog really doesn't have that many tools to get around good Sim zoning. If he has no EX meter he basically can't move forward, and once he does get meter Sim will be even more careful to not let his limbs get caught out there. Now of course Rog will eventually get close and once he does get in, it can be a quick wrap for Sim at that point. Champ has great defense and evasive skills, and that definitely gives him the edge against Rog and is probably where the 6-4 comes in. It's just too hard for Rog to get close to him and do big damage.

I also agree with the ipw list for the most part, at least with respect to Sim. Glad they have the balls to say that Abel and Cammy are 3-7 against him, I would just add Rufus to that category.

Also:
2dv8voj.gif

Awesome stuff, Lost! :lol

GatorBait said:

It sucks when they prevent you from doing things (it took me forever to do one of Sagat's later challenges that had you cancelling into Tiger Knee because the shortcut kept doing his super instead), but if it broadens the audience then it's good for the userbase which means it's good for everybody.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
That is straight up ridiculous that there is no stream for SVB - thank goodness MarkMan is tweeting results as they happen...

EDIT: Wow, MarkMan just tweeted that Daigo just picked Cammy to go against P. Son's Ryu - NOW I'm pissed that I can't see this live...

GatorBait said:

It's the biggest thing I hate about the game, and when I say hate, I mean, hate.

15+ years of Street Fighter experience, and I never ever had execution problems till SFIV - it pisses me off to no end when I execute everything perfectly for a whole fight, get an small opportunity to do a move/finish a round, and in my swiftness to do something, something ELSE comes out instead that makes me eat big damage/costs me the fight.

zlatko

Banned
Wow I am getting blown up today. I can't beat anyone. Played like 8 games so far and only won 2.

Is Sunday the day of Xbox killers? :O

Satyamdas said:
I think 6-4 Sim is a direct result of Filipino Champ's well-earned confidence in the matchup. He plays a lot of really good Rogs and does really well against them, so I can see why he thinks the matchup is in Sim's favor. I felt like the match was 5-5 in vanilla, and if Super tweaked it in Sim's favor I don't see it being more than 5.5-4.5. I still think it's 5-5. I'm nowhere near Champ's level though, so a lot of times it feels like 6-4 Rog to me.

The thing is, Rog really doesn't have that many tools to get around good Sim zoning. If he has no EX meter he basically can't move forward, and once he does get meter Sim will be even more careful to not let his limbs get caught out there. Now of course Rog will eventually get close and once he does get in, it can be a quick wrap for Sim at that point. Champ has great defense and evasive skills, and that definitely gives him the edge against Rog and is probably where the 6-4 comes in. It's just too hard for Rog to get close to him and do big damage.

Basically. When Filipino Champ was doing MM's at Evo with us he was spotting Balrogs 2 or 3 games in a FT5 with him and won em straight.:lol

He makes it look reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaally easy.

Imm0rt4l said:
wow ryan hart eliminated daigo. wonder if daigo thinks he's better than he originally thought?

Ryan Hart kind of has an history of beating Daigo, I don't know why the guy isn't given more credit among the SF4 community. He knows his playstyle very well.

Killa Sasa said:
Basically. When Filipino Champ was doing MM's at Evo with us he was spotting Balrogs 2 or 3 games in a FT5 with him and won em straight.:lol

He makes it look reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaally easy.

i need help wit dis matchup

Imm0rt4l said:
wow ryan hart eliminated daigo. wonder if daigo thinks he's better than he originally thought?

I read that Ryan used Dhalsim against Daigo with in casuals. I think Daigo went to Cammy first because he expected Ryan to go with Dhalsim. That didn't happen, then he lost a Ryu mirror match. Besides that, this tourney was also single elim, for the top 8 or so anyways so no 2nd chances even if you never lost a set before top 8.

USD

Imm0rt4l said:
Heh, and here I was thinking that Ryan Hart was overrated after his lackluster performance at Evo.

I agree with the 6 - 4 Sim/Rawg matchup. Playing a good Sim is a real pain for Rawg to get in. Playing against Satyamdas or Rentahamster is a real frustrating match. Once I get in pass the zoning, I can deal out some damage. If they teleport out of the corner, I have to do the whole process over.

Plus without EX meter Rawg powerless, unless I can somehow get in otherwise. Just look at the Art vs Eduardo match at ECT2. Both fantastic players with their mains and they completely showed how the matchup is 6 - 4.

Imm0rt4l

Rice-Eater said:
I read that Ryan used Dhalsim against Daigo with in casuals. I think Daigo went to Cammy first because he expected Ryan to go with Dhalsim. That didn't happen, then he lost a Ryu mirror match. Besides that, this tourney was also single elim, for the top 8 or so anyways so no 2nd chances even if you never lost a set before top 8.
that would make sense, I thought Daigo had selected cammy because of a lack of respect for Ryan, but as an intended counterpick it makes sense.

I remember listening to the Avoiding the Puddle podcast...hosted by Aris and featured Ryan Hart as a guest. Hart didn't like Daigo saying he was only "good for Europe". So this is nice.

DryEyeRelief said:
I remember listening to the Avoiding the Puddle podcast...hosted by Aris and featured Ryan Hart as a guest. Hart didn't like Daigo saying he was only "good for Europe". So this is nice.

Haha yeah, you know he practiced up HARD after that. Somebody should start charting the bitch callouts Aris makes his guests do at the end of that show and see how they stack up against tourney results.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Skilotonn said:
That is straight up ridiculous that there is no stream for SVB.

ughhhh... -_-

live streams are luxury, not a privilege, come on. not every venue or event has the means to put one together.

that said, im gonna get my stream on tonight. heee haaw.

Imm0rt4l said:

Europe > Daigo > America > Europe??!?!

Seems like while Daigo always cleans up in America, himself along with the rest of the Japanese tend to struggle in Europe.

Talent wise, I wouldn't say Daigo is cocky or anything, I think people just forget how talented Ryan Hart is. Maybe not in Street Fighter, but in fighting games overall he's definitely in the same class as Daigo, Wong and the rest of the elite cast. Peeps forget he's a 3d player, and he kinda just picked up 3s and Sf4 on the side.

edit - LOL wtf is gutter doing in the low tier tourney? Ringer confirmed :lol

Well here is a description of what happened at SVB from a English SRK poster

The Electrifying one said:
Ryan vs Daigo was crazy. Earlier they had been playing casuals and Ryan used Dhalsim. When they played in finals Ryan asked for blind select. Daigo picked Cammy, as he had bust up Ryan earlier in the cammy v sim match up.

Ryan picked Ryu and despite losing the first round came back and won the first match, daigo missed lots of combos with cammy. Daigo switches to Ryu and wins a close match- then in the final match Ryan edged it.

Luffy (Rose) beat Ryan's Ryu comfortably to get the gold.

It looks like Ryan used Dhalsim to trick Daigo into counterpicking. Earlier matches on Youtube showed Daigo winning the Ryu mirror matches. So I guess this was Ryan's strategy to possibly get some kind of edge on Daigo and Daigo did exactly what Ryan wanted him to do.

MIMIC

Banned
Finally ranked up Dhalsim....and my final match was against a Fuerte :D More Fuertes in ranked than in Endless
2 vs 1

Might try Gen next...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom