• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

Dartastic said:
Watching VRyu's Makoto. My god. Sometimes I wonder if my frustrations with her are due to playing online, because the lag can really, really make playing like that next to impossible.

It feels like v-ryu has discovered pretty much every damn notable advantage/trick Makoto could possibly utilize, just judging from the SRK forum over the past few months, and it's actually weird being able to see him put it into practice now :lol

Solune said:
Farms I need some advice/help with Cammy offense.
First is, when an opponent blocks a cannon strike just above their head but not TK'd and they block and I follow up with a TKCS it always beats throws but sometimes I get jabbed out of it, am I timing it wrong?
And the second thing is after knock down how do you usually follow up against chars with DPs on their wakeup?

Well a cr. jab will always beat out a divekick, since that's the counter to it. The counter to a cr. jab though is a back throw, as that gets you damage and a 4 way mixup. Some characters can Option select throw tech. There's specific counters to each one, but the general answer is to just do a st. mp and bait for the counter hit after the divekick.

What kind of knockdown did you get? If you landed a rh spiral arrow then immediately hold up forward and do a high rh divekick to the back half of their body, if the other player quick teched and did a wake up dp, it'll either beat it clean or make it whiff, which you can then punish. You can also do the same thing off a back throw. If you're just talking about general knockdowns, you just have to make a read on them and make sure to get max damage punish (cr. fierce -> cr. mk/mp xx rh drill or mk in some instances) to make them scared to do an unsafe dp again. If you don't want to block it you walk back slightly or backdash.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
MightyKAC said:
That's a pretty awesome outfit for claw. Might hafta steal that one :).

Incidentally if anyone wants to help a guy out by beating on my Claw for practice I'm at PSN: MightKAC if you're up for a game.

Kadey1up. I need to kill some time.

schennmu said:
No, she's just the most boring character in the game to watch.

And yes, I often do bad against Chuns :(

Nah, there are other boring characters to watch that come to mind.

Also, it comes down to how they are being played.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
black_vegeta said:
Nah, there are other boring characters to watch that come to mind.

Also, it comes down to how they are being played.

Honda mirrors are the worst.

That said, has anyone thought that their abilities are just declining due to slower reflexes? I'm feeling like I can't react to things fast enough to compete at a decent level anymore.

Realized this at the last tourney I went to- I just can't react at all anymore. It's like I've grown too old for the quicker games, and even this.

I feel like a washed-up old bum who can't hit the fastball anymore.

BitchTits

I know you can throw him, but can Abel be command grabbed out of his roll? I'm sure my T.Hawk just 360'd an Abel whilst rolling - it seemed to grab him whilst half a screen away! :lol

XenoRaven

At least Honda and Chun have combos. Watching someone jump and focus Sonic Booms only to get hit with an air throw or Flash Kick once they almost get in is just sooo entertaining.

Really I don't hate watching any character in SSFIV...except Rufus...and certain El Fuertes.

LakeEarth

BitchTits said:
I know you can throw him, but can Abel be command grabbed out of his roll? I'm sure my T.Hawk just 360'd an Abel whilst rolling - it seemed to grab him whilst half a screen away! :lol
Any grab will do.

Grifter

I do think there's a level of precision and distancing to Mak's offense that makes her easier and more fun offline.

arstal said:
Honda mirrors are the worst.

That said, has anyone thought that their abilities are just declining due to slower reflexes? I'm feeling like I can't react to things fast enough to compete at a decent level anymore.

Realized this at the last tourney I went to- I just can't react at all anymore. It's like I've grown too old for the quicker games, and even this.

I feel like a washed-up old bum who can't hit the fastball anymore.
Hahah. I've been struggling with this over the past years and it's compounded online. I would stay on the arcade in SF2 all day as a kid in NYC just on reflexes for DPs and jumping fireballs.

Anecdote - got beasted by this Rufus and his dives at a tourney and came back to fight him in losers' finals. I downed a 5 Hour Energy and AAed him all day in the match FTW.

MightyKAC

Thanks for the awesome matches Kadey. Sorry I had to up and leave like that but work just called and I gotta run to the shop. (on my FREAKING DAY OFF no less).

That's a scary-ass Ken you got there btw thanks for helping me practice up my with him.

arstal said:

sometimes when I am tired and feel like shit, i still keep on playing. I need to stop playing SF post 1am.

XenoRaven

BotoxAgent said:
sometimes when I am tired and feel like shit, i still keep on playing. I need to stop playing SF post 1am.
This happens to me too. It happens when I'm tired and when I do a long marathon session. I start to zone out and go on auto-pilot, and my auto-pilot isn't good enough to beat any of the people I play against regularly.

Gyrian

MightyKAC said:
Sorry I had to up and leave like that but work just called and I gotta run to the shop. (on my FREAKING DAY OFF no less).

Pw5m0.jpg

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
BotoxAgent said:

It's not even that. I couldn't react to a full screen Akuma demon flip the last tourney I went to. I was always slow reflexed, but add in some age, and it's like I'm moving in mud. This isn't as much of a problem with 3d games as with 2d though.

arstal said:
It's not even that. I couldn't react to a full screen Akuma demon flip the last tourney I went to. I was always slow reflexed, but add in some age, and it's like I'm moving in mud. This isn't as much of a problem with 3d games as with 2d though.

I get like that too though. And a lot of it has to do with how my brain works maybe. Sometimes, I devote my entire thinking/anticipating with my ground game that I can't AA for shit. I am amazed at seeing Daigo play perfect footsies and at the same time AAing every single jump in with perfectly timed DP w/out trading. I don't think my brain is capable of function doing both at the same time,ugh.

zlatko

Banned
The throws in this game still make no damn sense to me. You'll have your entire arm out for a jab, hear the jab sound, and get thrown through it.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
MightyKAC said:
Thanks for the awesome matches Kadey. Sorry I had to up and leave like that but work just called and I gotta run to the shop. (on my FREAKING DAY OFF no less).

That's a scary-ass Ken you got there btw thanks for helping me practice up my with him.

Yeah good games. I was too busy laughing at your commentary. You're one funny guy. :lol Your Vega is pretty good though. Instead of going for combos all the time, I should have played more safe. That slide was annoying, it kept stopping my footsies game.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
USD said:
Makoto is the queen of meaty attacks, she can link into Ultra with numerous meaty normals (s.LP, s.MP, s.HK). Good luck hit confirming it though. :lol

cr.mk too

s.hk into ultra is relatively easy to hit confirm. s.mp is hit confirmable too but hard (there's a vid of vryu hitting that on an Abel iirc), so if you're going for a meaty into ultra you might as well do s.hk unless you want to cross them up in the corner first with f+hk or something.

Pretty sure c.lk into ultra isn't hit confirmable unless you're Superman. Vryu was just trolling that kid :lol

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Kadey, how does she work?!
GGs though fo real. I feel like I was too impatient and tried to rush in. Got punished for it big time lol. Yup, still a scrub...

GG's to Axis, threijay, DBJ, AZ Greg, Kak and anyone else I may have played but forgotten.

Thanks for helping me with my procrastination :D.

btw Threi, your Dee Jay is good. Mirrors are a crummy measuring stick to go by lol.

Edit:

Does anyone know if custom soundtracks via TVersity or any media server program cause lag while playing online? Getting a bit tired of not having a true selectable soundtrack so thinking about making my own.

Maybe it would be smarter to just get a USB drive specifically for that just in case.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Kaako said:
Kadey, how does she work?!
GGs though fo real. I feel like I was too impatient and tried to rush in. Got punished for it big time lol. Yup, still a scrub...

I was chatting with somebody the whole time. :D Some of the matches I was just ducking or doing nothing. Great games though, both you and KAC beforehand.

Both of you are not a scrub, better than the average player. Obviously not top player but many of us aren't. You just have to cut down on the wake up stuff and mashing, though it worked in your favor here because I kept attacking instead of blocking and punishing.

zlatko

Banned
Anyone hate Vega as much as I do? Top to bottom he's just dumb. He's rewarded to hit and run, design wise as a character model he just looks dorky, and all of his combos just are meh and boring to see, as well as his Ultras.

He is about even with Blanka in pure dumb. :lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
zlatko said:
Anyone hate Vega as much as I do? Top to bottom he's just dumb. He's rewarded to hit and run, design wise as a character model he just looks dorky, and all of his combos just are meh and boring to see, as well as his Ultras.

There's a blonde haired Vega that would like to speak with you.

zlatko

Banned
Hitokage said:
There's a blonde haired Vega that would like to speak with you.

Az Greg puts everyone on blast I know. I've played against him too a couple times. Didn't change my opinion about VEGA though.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Kadey said:
I was chatting with somebody the whole time. :D Some of the matches I was just ducking or doing nothing. Great games though, both you and KAC beforehand.

Both of you are not a scrub, better than the average player. Obviously not top player but many of us aren't. You just have to cut down on the wake up stuff and mashing, though it worked in your favor here because I kept attacking instead of blocking and punishing.
Waaaaa you can't be serious? :D
I know I really should cut out the wake up stuff. It's just that I'm still used to it so I really need to work on it. Some of the mashings are timed mashings though I like to think haha and work somehow. Bad habits though...I have them. I really need to learn some links also. Or some good bnb combos to maximize my damage. So much stuff and little time. Makes my head go round n round.

Hopefully next time I can play you when you're not chatting and see the lady beast unleashed (get it, daigo ref). block-strings all day lol.

MightyKAC

zlatko said:

How is a "hit and run" style Vega any different from a "flowchart" Ken or a "turtle" Guile?
Cuz let me tell you, each of those playstyles I just mentioned are JUST as annoying as what you described. Does that make Guile and Ken dumb too? Just because some players play them in certain (annoying) ways?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom