• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threi said:
found this on my comp :lol

29c808o.gif
If the first move of an ultra is an armor break, and the second move doesn't hit fast enough, it'll be beaten.
This has happened to me using Bison's U1 a few times. Should also work against Fei Long and such. But the timing is very tight.

Threi

notag
i actually went in training mode to see what timing there is, turns out there isn't any. basically when you see the ultra flash just start mashing on FA and you will beat it. It only trades with the second hit if you decide to hold on the button.

USD said:
Personally, I thought the commentary was hilarious, I love a good ol' Ryder call (or ten). :lol

The call used to only be for when he landed ultra, so I can understand people seeing it as a bit excessive.

Fran (the guy speaking in the video) makes me laugh too. But he mostly talks like a spectator in the crowd rather than someone giving commentary.

Nose Master

That Ryder shit is getting old. It's one thing if he's landing an ultra or making a comeback (and usually just as annoying), but every time he lands a fucking hit?

Why's everyone so surprised? First hit of the ultra isn't an armor breaker, and it wasn't a reversal.

When I used to play rog, one of my favorite things to do vs. Cammy players was full screen 100% unsafe ex torpedo blow since they'd try to ultra punish but get beat anyways since they apparently don't understand how armor/armor breaks work.

Kak.efes

I'm thinking of possibly picking this up today, so I've got a couple of questions.

How limited are you using a conventional playstation controller? Is it a big handicap? I've heard that it is. Also, I haven't played a fighter in ages, and I remember being quite shit at them. How's the learning curve?

That's about it.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Kak.efes said:
I'm thinking of possibly picking this up today, so I've got a couple of questions.

How limited are you using a conventional playstation controller? Is it a big handicap? I've heard that it is. Also, I haven't played a fighter in ages, and I remember being quite shit at them. How's the learning curve?

That's about it.

Honestly, it depends on the game. Tekken it isn't a handicap at all. SF it is, just due to the buttons. Some people are more comfortable with pads- but you'd want a 6 button pad.

The learning curve for fighters is probably harder then any other genre- especially 2d fighters. The hardest thing to learn in fighters is the innate knowledge of when you should attack, and when you should defend, and when to break those rules.

2d fighters tend to require more execution, especially the games released this gen. (HDR doesn't require as much)

Leunam said:
That's some fucking awful commentary.

This was still the better part of the commentary. Later on they had a guy who only talked about how tired and high he was.

Shoutouts to Jexel anyway, the stream was damn fine, just get Art to commentate next time.

Threi

notag
FindMyFarms said:
Why's everyone so surprised? First hit of the ultra isn't an armor breaker, and it wasn't a reversal.

When I used to play rog, one of my favorite things to do vs. Cammy players was full screen 100% unsafe ex torpedo blow since they'd try to ultra punish but get beat anyways since they apparently don't understand how armor/armor breaks work.
oh i get it, i just thought it was funny, considering that all his other sobats do break armor. :lol

MIMIC

Banned
I played a gameinn on live about a week ago....only to then realize that it was gameinn827642 or something like that.

I destroyed him for good measure :)

His Chun-Li is pretty decent. I'm surprised he didn't switch sooner. Ryu, Gen and Sagat players seem to be gravitating toward secondaries or new mains. Sanford K plays Viper, Ryu, Sagat, Cammy and whoever else.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
With so many characters (and more coming), I think it's important to have several mains. The Japanese as a whole are eventually going to get slaughtered if they keep sticking to one character.

I dunno, I think Daigo should just stick to Ryu instead of becoming a counterpicking whore, but Daigo eventually becoming a beast with Cammy or Chun-Li scares me if it happens.

Kadey said:
With so many characters (and more coming), I think it's important to have several mains. The Japanese as a whole are eventually going to get slaughtered if they keep sticking to one character.

I think as single-character experts, they're great. Makoto's Claw>>> Daigo's Ryu>>> Mochi's Dhalsim>>> Etc, etc, etc.

But with the amount of players worldwide, matchups, etc. It would be suicide to not have maybe three in the chamber. The problem with that methodology is...you do need to be quite competent. J.Wong has a scary Boxer, good Abel, good Cammy, decent Makoto and vicious Rufus.

Sanford has a good Sagat, sick Viper, very good Ryu, good Cammy, etc.

Marn is another one. And these are usually the top 3 at a tournament. Even Ryan Hart showed versatility is an asset (Ryu, Sagat, Dhalsim).

But then again, some might argue the opposite with players like Flash, Vangief, etc. As long as you practice the matchup and it's not completely one-sided, the expert is probably going to have an advantage versus a counter picker.

BotoxAgent said:
I dunno, I think Daigo should just stick to Ryu instead of becoming a counterpicking whore, but Daigo eventually becoming a beast with Cammy or Chun-Li scares me if it happens.

Aside from the fact that he's not even as good a player, Daigo's Cammy will also never be as good as Sako's.... that's right!

FindMyFarms said:
Aside from the fact that he's not even as good a player, Daigo's Cammy will also never be as good as Sako's.... that's right!

Venom. I dunno. It's all really subjective and we'll never know. Daigo has a pretty sick Ryu and Guile.

Sako should've went to God's Garden 2.5.

DR2K

Banned
Kadey said:

No, not really. :lol

USD

I've always had mad respect for players who stick by their character through thick and thin. Nothing wrong with playing multiple characters, I'm just not really a fan of counterpicking.
_dementia said:
ryu has some good pokes though
Yeah, but he doesn't have amazing pokes like Chun.

FindMyFarms said:

i dunno, once Super hits the arcades, I forsee a handful of elite/scary Cammy players forming, lol, just like there was a handful of scary Akuma and Sagat players during vanilla. :D Sure, I highly doubt anyone will reach Sako's level...player density and the arcade culture of info sharing will still make them scary no doubt. And besides, you don't need to be Sako tier for Cammy to cause problems against a lot of the other characters in the cast. Daigo's Cammy, if he sticks with her, will be something to see in the future.

SUPARSTARX

USD said:
I've always had mad respect for players who stick by their character through thick and thin. Nothing wrong with playing multiple characters, I'm just not really a fan of counterpicking.
Is it an issue of honor when it comes to counterpicks?

Kadey said:

Sorry sistah, that isn't going to happen. EVAR!

Kadey said:
Hello Eita, Fuudo and Tokido at EVO.

Fuudo wasn't at EVO 2010.

There are many more great Japanese players than them alone. They live, breath, and shit Street Fighter.

EVO Japan can't happen soon enough.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
DR2K said:
The guy who won Evo(again) handily says hi back.

I'm Daigo's biggest fan and and I say he had a good chance of losing to Justin, Gamerbee or Art if they made it to him. Styles makes games. Daigo won against a lesser Rufus. It's the luck of the draw.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
black_vegeta said:
Sorry sistah, that isn't going to happen. EVAR!

Fuudo wasn't at EVO 2010.

There are many more great Japanese players than them alone. They live, breath, and shit Street Fighter.

EVO Japan can't happen soon enough.

I'm thinking of someone else then. I know there was another Japanese player.

Anyway, I think the situation is that America and the rest of the world have a huge gap between scrubs and top players where as in Japan, most players are mid to top level. Yeah, eat, sleep, breath the games at arcades and all.
I don't think they can be as dominate as they were if they keep sticking to one character though. Our guys are going to body them one day. Write that down. :D

Daigo does not want the Dhalsim matchup. He barely scrapped by Art during the Salty Suite runback.

In SSF4, life seems a bit tougher for Gen, Ryu and Sagat. I'm just surprised by Mago using Feilong. Not a bad character but not the power house Sagat was in SF4. Or the threats Boxer, Guile, Chun or Rufus are in SSF4.

N4Us

Um, Gen didn't "debut" in 3rd Strike, scrub, there was a game called "Fighting Street" for the Genesis that he was in. 3rd Strike came the next year.

gutabo

N4Us said:
Um, Gen didn't "debut" in 3rd Strike, scrub, there was a game called "Fighting Street" for the Genesis that he was in. 3rd Strike came the next year.
ROFL

Erm, check your sarcasm meter please...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
N4Us said:

Little known fact, Gen is actually the twin brother of Zen, who first appeared in Sega's exclusive World Heroes crossover game with Capcom on FM Towns Marty a year before that.

They swapped his color palette and changed the Z to "G" when including him in Fighting Street in order to call him a "new" character. He got like 2 freakin' new moves.

That was the bad old days when Capcom was super cheap about recycling sprites to stretch content.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
N4Us said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Spiderjericho said:
Daigo does not want the Dhalsim matchup. He barely scrapped by Art during the Salty Suite runback.

In SSF2, life seems a bit tougher for Gen, Ryu and Sagat. I'm just surprised by Mago using Feilong. Not a bad character but not the power house Sagat was in SF4. Or the threats Boxer, Guile, Chun or Rufus are in SSF4.
You still fail after the edit. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom