• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaako said:
WHAT THE FUCK. Cami or whatever her/his name was? Kinda got annoying when she got on the mic though.

Wrong one, I'm pretty sure Cami is a chick (but then again i thought kayo was one too). Karaface doesn't get on the mic for a reason, sounds 100% dude.

l_573e0adc6a6243989aa03f0c23cf278d.jpg

So. I got to fight the number 2 juri in the world (pfft) but he wouldnt use juri...no matter how badly I crushed his soul.
Please note...this guy is ranked 3rd in the world...lost 10-2 and still claims I am worse than him.

Satyamdas said:
I agree that the hitbox wonkiness in this game can be frustrating, but the bolded is flat out untrue. Guy can and does cross Sim up. And I don't see anything wrong with Sak/Rufus's EX moves going over crouched opponents. I mean those moves cause them to become airborne, and even then it's rare that EX Messiah actually goes over the other character. That move is godlike enough, it needs to have some form of weakness, slight though it may be.
I should have been more specific. It's not possible to crossup Sim mid-screen without a knockdown. You can crossup in the corner and a very specific window after a forward throw.

marathonfool said:
I want to say SSF4 is a great game, but the hitboxes are atrocious. There's so many combos that don't work because of moving hitboxes. Went into training mode and realized you can't cross up Dhalsim with Guy. Chun Li's EX legs will not launch randomly. Ryu's Tatsu glitch. Rufus and Sakura EX moves whiff over crouching opponents.

Those are a few, but the team doesn't seem to care to fix them. I know they're not intentional, just the result of a bad hitboxes.

3rd Strike had the best hitboxes, but even then combos got fucked up in certain situations. It's just how it goes.

DarkoMaledictus said:
Yun or Yang really? Seems a lot of more loved characters are being requested than these two...

Not on Capcom-Unity.

as of this point
BigC iz LeGiT has sent me...39 messages all pretty much talking shit...but none of them accepting my challenges which ive repeated endlessly at this point

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I knew ahead of time but I guess I wasn't paying attention. :lol

Hmmmmm....so that gives me even more time. It's alright. A month is all I need.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
AkumaHokoru said:

:lol
Just seems to reinforce that high BP doesn't necessarily mean a player is the best with that character...just that they pick him/her a lot.

But the #3 ranked Juri player in the world is talking that kind of shit and refusing to fight you with her?

Are people finding ways to cheat to get to the top of the rankings like they did in vanilla SF4?

How much BP does he have, anyway? Please tell me it's a lot more than 4000.

Joekage

Kadey said:
If anybody wants to play some games, I'll be around for a majority of the day.

Are you online now and on what console?

I'm bored and don't have anybody on my friends list to play against xD.

On PS3 by the way... TostitoSalsa is the name ^_^

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Joekage said:
Are you online now and on what console?

I'm bored and don't have anybody on my friends list to play against xD.

On PS3 by the way... TostitoSalsa is the name ^_^

I'm playing someone right now. Maybe later?

SuperKettenhund. I'm on to you. I'm flattered you created a YT account just for the purpose of trolling me. :lol

Joekage

Kadey said:
I'm playing someone right now. Maybe later?

SuperKettenhund. I'm on to you. I'm flattered you created a YT account just for the purpose of trolling me. :lol

Sure. Just shoot me a friend request and we'll play whenever. :)

KajunW

Lyte Edge said:
Just seems to reinforce that high BP doesn't necessarily mean a player is the best with that character...just that they pick him/her a lot.

But the #3 ranked Juri player in the world is talking that kind of shit and refusing to fight you with her?

Are people finding ways to cheat to get to the top of the rankings like they did in vanilla SF4?

Yeah, if a player mostly sticks with one character in ranked matches, the player points is a much better indicator of skill. However, if that player uses multiple characters instead, it becomes hard to derive his/her skill for a particular character.

Anyways, it seems like there might be a way of boosting battle points (albeit inefficient) without the help of others, purely based on the point mechanisms. Battle points (BP) mainly differ from player points (PP) in the sense that a player gets docked relatively less points for losing, particularly to a lower-ranked player. So, in its very nature, the BP system is inflational, which means your BP will increase over time just by playing a lot, even if your skill level remains constant. In contrast, PP will fluctuate around your "true mean skill". BP are similar to Vanilla's championship points in that regard (although clearly not as bad).

I'm not certain, but it seems that the amount of BP you win or lose not only depends on the difference in BP (between you and your opponent), but also on the difference in PP. Which means that if you're building BP for a character A, you can intentionally lose PP with a character B you don't care about, and thus, not affecting BP for character A. Lowering your PP achieves two things:
1) If the above is true, you would get more BP for beating opponents, and lose less BP for being defeated, based on your lower PP. Thus, your BP increase will be greater.
2) Even if the above is not true, at the very least, you abuse the matchmaking aspect. In ranked play, players are matched based on PP. My guess is that most players have set the search parameter to 'same skill', so you're matched more with players that actually have lower skill than you do. I'm not sure if setting the search parameter skill to 'lesser skill' (is that even possible? haven't checked) will yield the same results (that might invalidate this argument a bit).

So once again, in terms of skill reflection BP suck. In terms of getting people to play more and more, it works great. This is clearly the reason for Capcom to have included BP: they don't want (particularly new) players to become frustrated if their points stagnate over time. Players need to have the feeling they're making progress. It motivates them to continue playing. Don't think of BP as a skill indicator, but think of it as 'experience', much akin to World of Warcraft's experience.

Lyte Edge said:

5kPP 17kBP likely boosted as well.

KajunW said:

Here's the thing. I saved the matches we played. he is REALLY BAD with all the characters he played. with the experience required to get 5k pp 17k bp legit you would atleast know how to block. nope. I made him fight my fight however I choose to. Someone with that amount of experience would have done better someone with that bp with juri would definately not have fallen for my tactics as they should have known them and furthermore known the weakpoints on them.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I am. I have unlimited LIVE. Just no working 360. Since before the 360 tournament. My disc is still in my 360! I'm going to gif myself breaking up my 360 taking it out. :D

Kadey said:
I am. I have unlimited LIVE. Just no working 360. Since before the 360 tournament. My disc is still in my 360! I'm going to gif myself breaking up my 360 taking it out. :D
like i said. 16 screws = welcome back super.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom