• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kadey said:
You guys ever read this?

http://www.examiner.com/xbox-360-in-national/why-fighting-games-suck#comment-11400421

I'm not going to let somebody talk trash about fighters whether Tekken, SF or any of those anime games Art secretly plays. There are really some ignorant and informed people out there.
Once you can perform any technique at will, the only thing you need to do to become "good" is play the game enough to learn what beats what. Then, when your opponent performs a Dragon Uppercut you know you have to counter with a Fireball immediately

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Guys, I just can't do it anymore. SSFIV is fun, but it's also frustrating. I'd rather play games that are fun and not frustrating.

I can't play this game seriously at all because it becomes unenjoyable.

I recently started learning how to play CvS2 and that game is more my speed.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
viewtiful_dru said:
Guys, I just can't do it anymore. SSFIV is fun, but it's also frustrating. I'd rather play games that are fun and not frustrating.

I can't play this game seriously at all because it becomes unenjoyable.

I'd say at high level CvS2 is probably more frustrating.

then again, the only times I've played SF4 in the past couple of weeks has been ranbats. I've just lost interest- been on a Tekken kick lately. 3D just seems to make more sense to me.

BTW that fighting games suck article- I've been told it was a troll to get people hating on him, which makes him money. Don't feed the troll.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
viewtiful_dru said:
I dunno, I like poking and not getting hit out of combos by mashed uppercuts
Then start baiting the DPs.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
arstal said:
BTW that fighting games suck article- I've been told it was a troll to get people hating on him, which makes him money. Don't feed the troll.

Yeah, they get paid on clicks. They've been advertising that site around here on online career search engines. Sounded interesting, but it's kinda skeezy.

Ono posted a picture of a Dio statue, Dio Brando confirmed???

W7Kff.gif

Yoshichan said:
Then start baiting the DPs.

everyone says this to me, and maybe I'm a scrub, but my success rate with that tactic is close to zero, and I've been playing since CTF got vanilla.

could be 1 jab, 2 jabs, 3, I still get uppercutted or they do nothing. It's something I would need to adapt to for sure, but I just don't like playing that way.

I can bait uppercuts and throws in other ways, just flubbing links like that sucks

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Getting paid for clicks. That's so 90s-ish.

Overcoming the faults of a game engine is what makes the game even more satisfying to play. It's like playing sports and having the refs make bad calls. When you do your thing and win while dealing with that, it makes the feeling all that better. Mashing by itself isn't an issue but combined with crappy online play, it can make the difference between how you should play as supposed to how you want to play.

That's poetic, Kadey.

I'll still play this game, but I'll put my effort elsewhere. I learned my lesson that I can only truly get better at a game if I like it's mechanics to begin with.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Kadey said:
Getting paid for clicks. That's so 90s-ish.

Overcoming the faults of a game engine is what makes the game even more satisfying to play. It's like playing sports and having the refs make bad calls. When you do your thing and win while dealing with that, it makes the feeling all that better. Mashing by itself isn't an issue but combined with crappy online play, it can make the difference between how you should play as supposed to how you want to play.

I never got that mentality. I'd rather my engines not have faults.

viewtiful_dru said:

:lol Oh man, are you in for a rude awakening. That game is broken to hell and back. It has two characters that just dominate everyone else, (Blanka & Sagat), very doable 75-100% a-ism combos and a glitch called roll cancelling where anybody can actually make any move invincible. I mean look at this shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HkPSzj-8Oc

If you want to avoid frustration, that's not the place to go.

I have broken exactly one controller in my life, and it was an S controller on the original Xbox which met its end after some jackass Chun Li kept tick-throwing me into oblivion online (I HATE the way techs work - or rather don't work, especially online - in that game). I brooded then raged then smashed the controller to bits. SSFIV's mechanics are a calm blue ocean by comparison.

I was a huge KoF fan too, hated the way almost all the SNK guys were mid to low tier in that game. If they'd just done a 1:1 conversion of them into the game they would have been gods and trampled the Capcom guys. Dangit.

(I actually really like CvS2 and played it a ton, it just drove me nuts).

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
CPS2 said:
I don't think I've played any fighters that don't have some bullshit in them...

It's impossible to make a game without bullshit- unless you do the Karate Champ school of balancing.

Virtua Fighter is probably the game that comes closest. Soul Calibur could if it got the formula right.

People claimed Roll cancels improved CvS2. I never bought that for a second, people just like to have advantages.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
viewtiful_dru said:
I dunno, I like poking and not getting hit out of combos by mashed uppercuts

Main problem is only a few chars have good reversals...against some other chars you can blockstun all day without any chance of reversals. Charge characters probably got it worst; once you fail at a reversal you have to charge again to try a second try...

There just should be a nice mechanic that would yes allow reversals, but not mashing them, once your dp input fails you have to block or eat it!

Yoshichan

DarkoMaledictus said:
Main problem is only a few chars have good reversals...against some other chars you can blockstun all day without any chance of reversals. Charge characters probably got it worst; once you fail at a reversal you have to charge again to try a second try...

There just should be a nice mechanic that would yes allow reversals, but not mashing them, once your dp input fails you have to block or eat it!
If you fail a reversal, you should be punished for it whether you're a charge, shoto or anything else.

60hrs and 3 months later, it turns out I'm still better with 360 controller than with the TE stick. :lol
So my question is how reliable are the Mad Catz fight pads?
There are a few discouraging online reviews but if there's one place to ask then it's in here.

Yoshichan

Jeff Stephen said:
60hrs and 3 months later, it turns out I'm still better with 360 controller than with the TE stick. :lol
There are a few discouraging online reviews but if there's one place to ask then it's in here.
Do like me, throw the TE stick in the garbage can. Literally.

I did buy another stick 2 months later though :(

Jeff Stephen said:

I've had two of them. The first one had d-pad issues in the first week of play and had to be returned. The second one I've had for two months and works flawlessly. It's a pretty solid controller, and I'm happy with the purchase.

BTW, the PS3 version, I have is wireless. I think the 360 version is wired, which sucks.

hitsugi

Cvs2 is an incredible game and roll cancels are the only reason lower tier characters could accomplish anything. I don't think I knew of anyone that could roll cancel 99% of the time that didn't like it. It allowed the game to have a level of play beyond roll->custom or c.fierce

Here's the thing about SF4 - reversals have the loosest timing of any sf to date, to the point where it seems like there is none. In cvs2 or ST, if you timed your reversal wrong, one of two things would happen: your move wouldn't come out and you'd have to block, or you'd get hit.

Like kadey said mashy players are mostly just an online annoyance though, and less of a fault in higher levels of gameplay.

Haeleos

Jeff Stephen said:

I've returned 4 of them. And don't even think about local versus with two of them on PS3... the wireless ones interfere with eachother. They are pretty cheaply made, but other than the Hori Fighting Commander 3, you don't have much choice. If you have a 360, I'd say try the Mad Catz fightpads (mostly because there isn't an alternative), but if you have a PS3, stay far away from them and get this instead:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-49-en-70-3py6.html

hitsugi said:
Cvs2 is an incredible game and roll cancels are the only reason lower tier characters could accomplish anything. I don't think I knew of anyone that could roll cancel 99% of the time that didn't like it. It allowed the game to have a level of play beyond roll->custom or c.fierce

Here's the thing about SF4 - reversals have the loosest timing of any sf to date, to the point where it seems like there is none. In cvs2 or ST, if you timed your reversal wrong, one of two things would happen: your move wouldn't come out and you'd have to block, or you'd get hit.

Like kadey said mashy players are mostly just an online annoyance though, and less of a fault in higher levels of gameplay.

I like the reversal window. Why shouldn't you be allowed to do what you want? One of the biggest flaws of ST was that even if you KNEW what your opponent was going to do, you couldn't do anything about it due to 1 frame reversals plus the random factor (in ST even if you did frame perfect reversals, there was a bug that kept them from coming out randomly.)

So you have bulshit like the sim/rog/ken loops where you KNOW exactly what they're going to do, but can't do anything about it. By no means is the other player outplaying you, the system in place just keeps you from doing what you want.

On CvS2, I don't really like the game that much, but I DID win a bet against buktooth that I could roll cancel 3 times in a row on pad :lol

hitsugi said:

Generally speaking, though, whiffing a reversal is much worse than getting hit by a meaty.

MIMIC

Banned
I FINALLY figured out how to control Gen's wall jumps (I managed to just feel my way through his trials that required wall jumps :lol). The directional pad....er, I mean JOYSTICK (lol) controls his movement AND his attack. I was looking on eventhubs and they explained it better than the in-game command guide. Now it all makes sense. :)

LiveFromKyoto said:
:lol Oh man, are you in for a rude awakening. That game is broken to hell and back. It has two characters that just dominate everyone else, (Blanka & Sagat), very doable 75-100% a-ism combos and a glitch called roll cancelling where anybody can actually make any move invincible. I mean look at this shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HkPSzj-8Oc

If you want to avoid frustration, that's not the place to go.
Perfect, I'm a big fan of MvC2.

Anyway, I've been aware of the stupid shit in the game, but I was just never able to understand it and get into it until recently.
And wow that roll cancel video looks hot.

so sorry for going on a little tangent

Myomoto

MIMIC said:
I FINALLY figured out how to control Gen's wall jumps (I managed to just feel my way through his trials that required wall jumps :lol). The directional pad....er, I mean JOYSTICK (lol) controls his movement AND his attack. I was looking on eventhubs and they explained it better than the in-game command guide. Now it all makes sense. :)

I'm guessing you've also figured out that if you start the move with a diagonal upwards motion, instead of just an upwards motion, you can control which wall he jumps off of, this is very useful for crossups during resets and wake up. Also, EX wall kick has close to full invincibility on the way up, making it a pretty good escape tool.

Threi said:
deejay made it into the winners finals of a canadian tourney :D

:lol :lol

I was surprised to see him pull out Deejay.

But he did better with him than Guile.

I feel like Sim is such a hard match up for Guile. One Yoga sniper and you take a lot of dmg for this match..and Sim can just grind out the time, especially one with good fundamentals.

yurinka

Imm0rt4l said:
y44nh.png

anyone think the fedora on blanka is a tip of the hate (pun intended) to Q?

*scratches chin
I would say the selected characters look like yang (left) and urien (right).
Notice that since both characters are selected, so you have more to check than just the small portait.
BTW notice both have a character above and under them, so 6 new characters confirmed?

BTW remember this:
images

Maybe Urien was planned since the start

AAK

Kadey said:
You guys ever read this?

http://www.examiner.com/xbox-360-in-national/why-fighting-games-suck#comment-11400421

I'm not going to let somebody talk trash about fighters whether Tekken, SF or any of those anime games Art secretly plays. There are really some ignorant and informed people out there.

Meh, they aren`t worth the effort to convince. And besides people like that will never want to invest the time to get better in that game so in the end, bothering with these clowns won`t please anyone. We all love fighting games and enjoy them immensely! That`s all that matters :D

MIMIC

Banned
Myomoto said:
I'm guessing you've also figured out that if you start the move with a diagonal upwards motion, instead of just an upwards motion, you can control which wall he jumps off of, this is very useful for crossups during resets and wake up. Also, EX wall kick has close to full invincibility on the way up, making it a pretty good escape tool.

Didn't know this. Thanks.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Yoshichan said:
If you fail a reversal, you should be punished for it whether you're a charge, shoto or anything else.

Yep that's the idea... problem is shotos can mash. Not talking about a try that resulted in a reversal coming out, talking about a try that didn't result in a reversal because it was while a proper block string from opponent prevented it from coming out.

There are 3 solutions, give equal reversals to everybody, remove reversals for everybody or just remove the stupid 1-2 frame combos so they can't be reversaled anymore.

There isn't a real solution for mashing sadly, until a new sf comes out. At least right now its possible to get out of a long combo... just too bad you need perfect execution to do one online...

MIMIC

Banned
I get so pissed off when I go for a 3+ RSF with Fuerte (or a reset (??) during the RSF) only to get mashed out of it as soon as the combo is finished. But I usually get a feel for whether my opponent is mashing so I know whether to hold back on some stuff. Usually takes me a round.

LakeEarth

The solution to mashing is baiting it out. Early in the first round you jump kick cross-up, he blocks, and when you go to c.jab, you get SRK'd. Next time he blocks your jump-kick, just block the reversal. Punish as hard as possible on the way down. He SHOULD stop mashing after that happens.

Similarly, a lot of people online like to throw when someone empty jumps on them. That's when you empty jump and then do something unthrowable when you land.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
LakeEarth said:
The solution to mashing is baiting it out. Early in the first round you jump kick cross-up, he blocks, and when you go to c.jab, you get SRK'd. Next time he blocks your jump-kick, just block the reversal. Punish as hard as possible on the way down. He SHOULD stop mashing after that happens.

Similarly, a lot of people online like to throw when someone empty jumps on them. That's when you empty jump and then do something unthrowable when you land.

Sure its easy to counter, but mashing should just not be part of the game mechanic... Ideal thing would be to make reversals like cvsm2 if you reversal at the wrong time you eat the rest of the combo. Mashing should remove you from block period!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom