• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPS2

bluebird said:
Hey dudes. Entering my first tournament at the start of October (BAM, in Victoria). Going to enter SSF4 Singles and Teams. What are some things I should look out for that differ when I play at a tournament compared to an arcade? I guess I'm sorta looking for tips here and there so I know what to expect seeing as it's my first ;_;

Have a plan, stick to it, don't give up in the middle of a match... even if you're losing, just think about making a comeback or whatever, BELIEVE!

You basically won't be playing for an extended period of time (most likely), then suddenly have to play someone on an unfamiliar setup. This might sound dumb but if you can, try practicing a bit on a 24" monitor and play sitting next to someone, so you're looking at the screen from an angle. It's pretty different to sitting directly in front of a 32" monitor like at home or the arcade. Also, practice with the stick on your lap (if you use a table), because the space may not allow for sticks on tables and you may not get the height you're used to. This stuff might sound minor but it can all stop you from playing as you normally would.

I miiiiight be there... not sure yet.

CPS2 said:
I just read that here the other day. Kind of disappointing cos it looks like a very cool game otherwise.
Just in case you're not being sarcastic, that's a tool-assisted combo that also happens to be fucking impossible. Three walk up 2As? Fuck that.

Darkman M

stabicron7 said:
I can't, personally think its another instance of people wanting to see something that isn't there at this point. Every so called confirmation so far has been so blurry or doesn't show enough that you can't really be certain.

Remember these pics are coming from Ono the king of trolls after all :p

really?

arstal said:
ETEG isn't as vital as those things mentioned. It's an option select, but in VF you have enough offensive options that you can predict ETEG and punish nicely. If you get them to use those other options (ARM, haven't heard that one- probably something obvious I don't know acronym for)- like low block, you can establish your other offense.

ETEG's an advantage, but it's not going to get you wins as easily as execution can in most other fighters.

BTW it's looking like you can do a double throw escape in FS by buffering an evade between TE's now. Hopefully Sega if they console release patches that out. (Defeats the whole point).

1FL in SF4 isn't as necessary as you're making it out to be, either. It doesn't hurt being able to perform them but a lot of them aren't necessary to go to, say, finals at EVO or something. Daigo couldn't reliably hit Ryu's 6+FP > c.HP link in vanilla (haven't seen him try it in Super, for that matter), but that doesn't mean he's automatically at a disadvantage, either. I'm pretty sure I've seen Valle comment how he has problems doing a lot of high-execution things but has a better strategy or footsies than most people to make up for it.

I'm far from being EVO quality in play, but I used to complain about the 1FL in vanilla until I realized that they're really not that necessary compared to having a good strategy or yomi. Hell, I was JUST spending time practicing Ibuki's lk Tsumuji > lp > mk link to improve my game. Once I got it to a reliable execution I realized the damage from it in combos was almost worthless compared to removing the lk tsumuji into the links in favor of just using raida or an E tsumuji > raida in the corner (thanks damage scaling!). At that point the only thing it seems useful for is stick out a lk tsumuji and then going from there, but even that can be dangerous with most characters.

Imm0rt4l

stabicron7 said:
I can't, personally think its another instance of people wanting to see something that isn't there at this point. Every so called confirmation so far has been so blurry or doesn't show enough that you can't really be certain.

well I saw it immediately when I saw the picture, you can almost see his wrist brace as well. The hat is pretty visible though.

stabicron7 said:

its his hat and his squatting, I dont get why people have so much trouble seeing it

0ILZw.jpg

CPS2

God's Beard said:
Just in case you're not being sarcastic, that's a tool-assisted combo that also happens to be fucking impossible. Three walk up 2As? Fuck that.

Erm I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic. Tool-assisted doesn't mean impossible, it just means execution isn't a factor (which is great for proving things, such as combos randomly ending). Anyway if you have proof that infinites DON'T randomly end in jjba, I'd like to see your videos. Not going to argue.

XenoRaven

To be fair, the bill of the hat looks like the upper part of an arm if you're not looking that closely, and then the blue part of the hat lines up with where some sort of weird really short sleeved shirt would be on the shoulder.

XenoRaven said:
To be fair, the bill of the hat looks like the upper part of an arm if you're not looking that closely, and then the blue part of the hat lines up with where some sort of weird really short sleeved shirt would be on the shoulder.

I actually thought this until I studied it closer. I knew it couldn't be Yang since he wears red but then I thought about Yun's outfit and suddenly I saw the hat.

Jojo's fans have lost their fucking minds. Calling Darkstalkers a "Street Fighter" clone? If Darkstalkers is a Street Fighter clone, then so is Marvel, Guilty Gear, and *gasp* Jojo's. That's how loose your definition of "Clone" would have to be to put Darkstalkers there.

Furthermore, I pretty much never judge a fighting game by how "extensive" its single player is. That's a footnote at best. Darkstalkers (Vampire Savior in particular) has very solid, balanced mechanics, interesting characters as well, and was the first (AFAIK) to use some systems that are still being put in games today. Including some that were in Jojo's.

Demitri has a fireball and an uppercut. Case closed. You're right, though. I like Dashing a lot, so thanks VS.

CPS2 said:
Erm I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic. Tool-assisted doesn't mean impossible, it just means execution isn't a factor (which is great for proving things, such as combos randomly ending). Anyway if you have proof that infinites DON'T randomly end in jjba, I'd like to see your videos. Not going to argue.

I don't know why that guy's combo ended. All I know is that it ended when his MUDA MUDA ran out and he kept pushing 5A. Maybe if he went to 2A xx Rekka it would have kept going, since he was riding the chain off of his special? He says himself that he doesn't know how much about the system. I don't know, and I don't have a programmable controller to check.

MIMIC

Banned
I was Guile and played a disgustingly defensive Rose. Soul Spark after Soul Spark after Soul Spark. During the match, I just stood there and let her perfect me. Ugh.

Maybe the player was angry because they couldn't do that when I was playing Fuerte. ^_^

haunts

Bacon of Hope
uhh results go something like this

1. vance
2. f. champ
3. mike ross
?. ricky ortiz
?. combofiend
?. grimmz

???

DR2K

Banned
MIMIC said:
I was Guile and played a disgustingly defensive Rose. Soul Spark after Soul Spark after Soul Spark. During the match, I just stood there and let her perfect me. Ugh.

Maybe the player was angry because they couldn't do that when I was playing Fuerte. ^_^

Playing Rose like Guile?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
God's Beard said:
That's like single-handedly making pads the superior choice for grapplers. I had no idea.

Characters that have tap-like moves too since they can charge without giving up buttons.

Not sure how comfortable I am with that sort of thing being legal in tournaments, actually. But I guess it's not like there are many tournies that go on around my neck of the woods anyway.

gutabo

God's Beard and Teknopathetic said:
awesome stuff about fighters
Hey, they are both great fighters, please don't argue about awesome games :'(
Let's kick SNK vs Capcom in the nuts instead, ok?

haunts said:
uhh results go something like this

1. vance
2. f. champ
3. mike ross
?. ricky ortiz
?. combofiend
?. grimmz

???

They must have slipped something in your beverage as you were spazzing on the mic. It was awesome. Your voice went from mild mannered Niedel to Crazy Haunts. It was great. Kudos on presenting another great stream with A+ competition.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Spiderjericho said:
They must have slipped something in your beverage as you were spazzing on the mic. It was awesome. Your voice went from mild mannered Niedel to Crazy Haunts. It was great. Kudos on presenting another great stream with A+ competition.

hah I'll have to watch the replays... I was yelling the whole time anyway cause I was DJing, calling out matches, helping run the stream and all other sorts of nonsense. I seriously think I worked harder yesterday than I ever had before. Then it was like end of the night and no one was on commentary aso I just went buckwild. :lol

you know i knew gootecks was showing up but i didnt expect mike and warren. was pretty dope they showed up.

the bar let us route the stream video to a bunch of monitors around the bar and projectors too so it ended up being pretty dope.

I lost an xbox through all the madness though. :(

Sorry, you lost an Xbox, bro.

But your inner Hulkmaniac was running wild on the stream as you dropped bird ish like a politician campaigning for votes, money, hoes.

I'm a believer, brother. Set your phasers on kill, IPLAYWINNER is going IN!!

gutabo said:
Hey, they are both great fighters, please don't argue about awesome games :'(
Let's kick SNK vs Capcom in the nuts instead, ok?

I guess the VS engine lies somewhere between ST and Alpha in the realm of fighting games I really don't like to play.

Random thought: how do you get the (rumored) 7 extra characters in with (what looks like) 6 available slots? Make Yun and Yang selectable as one slot. Isn't that what you had to do before?

robut said:
Random thought: how do you get the (rumored) 7 extra characters in with (what looks like) 6 available slots? Make Yun and Yang selectable as one slot. Isn't that what you had to do before?

Yun and Yang are about as similar as Rufus and Fei Long.

Just make the last character selactable by moving off the grid, like Akuma in the original arcade version. Perfect way to select Q.

robut said:

To be fair, they could totally do this by using the Ultra Select. Rather than the pair having an Ultra each, U1 could be Yun and U2 could be Yang, and whichever one you select is the character you get and the moves you get.

This won't happen, though. Will probably just wind up being six characters.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Spiderjericho said:
Sorry, you lost an Xbox, bro.

But your inner Hulkmaniac was running wild on the stream as you dropped bird ish like a politician campaigning for votes, money, hoes.

I'm a believer, brother. Set your phasers on kill, IPLAYWINNER is going IN!!

hahaha had to be there brotheeeeerrrr...!! :lol

uploading some vids now. oh god

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Lost Fragment said:
Been playing Ken the past few days. Starting to feel bad for people who play Ken online with all the hatemail I've gotten :lol

It's fun because most players expect you to be another flowchart. Until those combos start flowing.

Kumie-san. Blah, blah, blah, blah, just play the game.

And I can out drink Haunts any day. :D

004kj.jpg

She's drinking that Zima. Ha, ha, JK.

And I had no idea Kadey would ever reveal herself. In fact, I refuse to believe that's her. She has money and it's a stand in.

Platy

APZonerunner said:
To be fair, they could totally do this by using the Ultra Select. Rather than the pair having an Ultra each, U1 could be Yun and U2 could be Yang, and whichever one you select is the character you get and the moves you get.

This won't happen, though. Will probably just wind up being six characters.

...all the yun screens shows only 2 new slots ... isn't a little too far in development to show only 2 slots and expect for more 4 chars ?

Platy said:
...all the yun screens shows only 2 new slots ... isn't a little too far in development to show only 2 slots and expect for more 4 chars ?

Not that different than when they had blank slots during SSF4 development.

Platy said:

Who knows? The Yun/Yang secret has been blown by the teases in Famitsu and Ono on twitter, he knows we know, we just need confirmation, but he still keeps teasing for Mika and Poison and others... and I don't think he would if the ones we've already had kinda-sorta revealed were the only ones. I for one will be disappointed if all his teasing is for nought.

Um, guys. They stopped showing an accurate number of "empty slots" for reveals in like January for Super. It could only be 2 new chars, it could be more.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Imm0rt4l said:
what are you drinking their kadey?

About the only beer that is bought around here. Heineken.

pshhh mikes hard lemonade dosent count!!

She's drinking that Zima. Ha, ha, JK.

And I had no idea Kadey would ever reveal herself. In fact, I refuse to believe that's her. She has money and it's a stand in.

I haven't had that stuff since what? 14-15?

But yeah. I don't usually drink. But when I do. After a few bottles, It all tastes like water to me. And then I start forgetting things. If given a chance, I can drink a case in a matter of hours. People start hiding it and stuff from me. :lol

Believe what you want to believe.

Fraeon

APZonerunner said:
Who knows? The Yun/Yang secret has been blown by the teases in Famitsu and Ono on twitter, he knows we know, we just need confirmation, but he still keeps teasing for Mika and Poison and others... and I don't think he would if the ones we've already had kinda-sorta revealed were the only ones. I for one will be disappointed if all his teasing is for nought.

Man, I do hope they bring back Sean.

Not because I think he's a good character. Or because I think his design is good. It's because it bugs me that we have every shoto in the series except him in the roster. I can't stand it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom