• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

Kadey said:
About the only beer that is bought around here. Heineken.

I haven't had that stuff since what? 14-15?

But yeah. I don't usually drink. But when I do. After a few bottles, It all tastes like water to me. And then I start forgetting things. If given a chance, I can drink a case in a matter of hours. People start hiding it and stuff from me. :lol

Believe what you want to believe.

Respect

Platy

Teknopathetic said:
Um, guys. They stopped showing an accurate number of "empty slots" for reveals in like January for Super. It could only be 2 new chars, it could be more.

THAT'S what i asked xD

thanks !

Kadey said:
I play Ken way too much these days. So whenever I go back to using Ryu, I play him like Ken. Trying to do Ken links and stuff. Surprisingly a ton of them works. :D

I have the same problem, except Ryu is my main and when I use Ken. I find myself trying to do stuff that doesn't work like jabs into sweep or strong, strong with Ken. But it's funnier when I go back to Ryu and try to do step kicks and I look like a moron doing st. MK from mid range.

DIRTY-D

Kadey said:

damn...I'm in Boston...and anytime I'm in Pennsylvania, Jersey, or New York I always pick up a couple of cases of Yuengling. that shit is so good. :)

yuengling2.jpg

haunts

Bacon of Hope
DryEyeRelief said:
you gotta upload grimmz vs combofiend, that match was epic.

yeah its a good one but the names were messed up. says combofiend vs combofiend so probably have to do some editing on that one.

ElFly

Teknopathetic said:
Jojo's fans have lost their fucking minds. Calling Darkstalkers a "Street Fighter" clone? If Darkstalkers is a Street Fighter clone, then so is Marvel, Guilty Gear, and *gasp* Jojo's. That's how loose your definition of "Clone" would have to be to put Darkstalkers there.

Furthermore, I pretty much never judge a fighting game by how "extensive" its single player is. That's a footnote at best. Darkstalkers (Vampire Savior in particular) has very solid, balanced mechanics, interesting characters as well, and was the first (AFAIK) to use some systems that are still being put in games today. Including some that were in Jojo's.

Ok, so, who's Ryu in Jojo? Where's Zangief? Where's Guile and Blanka? Those have clear, undeniable parallels in DS, but in Jojo everyone is an unique design. And Marvel is just a light SF clone, but DS is just the alpha series with crazier (and not that much crazier anyway) combos. You'd have an easier time calling Guilty Gear a SF clone than Jojo.

If the single player note is just a footnote to you, it doesn't mean it is a waste in Jojo. A good feature is a good feature.

C Jones

haunts said:
http://www.youtube.com/user/iplaywinner

theres so many matches im trying to get up...

vance vs f. champ.... there is soooooooo much bad langauge in the last video (GF) i dunno if im gonna upload it. :lol
Thanks for the stream/uploads. I couldn't stay up for the whole thing.

I really think Magus is one of the best commentators for SFIV. He does a great job in pointing out some of the little intricacies of the game while staying loose, being funny, and keeping it hype. He's really underrated.

C Jones said:
Underrated.

Naw, everyone recognizes his abilities. He held Evo down. And the great thing about the different regions/streams is there are competent folks to call the action like Magus, James Chen, Chris Hu, S-Kill.

"Ok, so, who's Ryu in Jojo? Where's Zangief? Where's Guile and Blanka? Those have clear, undeniable parallels in DS, but in Jojo everyone is an unique design. And Marvel is just a light SF clone, but DS is just the alpha series with crazier (and not that much crazier anyway) combos. You'd have an easier time calling Guilty Gear a SF clone than Jojo."

Who's Guile and Blanka in Darkstalkers? Saying Demetri is Ryu because Fireballs and an uppercut (Which describes so many characters in so many fighting games) completely ignore that Demetri has more than that, same with Victor and Zangief. Some pretty base observations that don't take into account how the character actually plays in the game and only considers HURP DURP HE HAS A LARIAT.

"If the single player note is just a footnote to you, it doesn't mean it is a waste in Jojo. A good feature is a good feature."

A good feature is a good feature, but that doesn't make it a more solid fighting game.

I don't understand how people get such high PP. Unless you fight alot of 4k+ opponents. Because any less than that, you're going to get about 7 PP.
I don't even understand how I got to 5k+.

After my tourney next week, I'll probably play Sakura hardcore in ranked and get her to A, because getting Bison to A+ will just make me angry.

ElFly

Teknopathetic said:
"Ok, so, who's Ryu in Jojo? Where's Zangief? Where's Guile and Blanka? Those have clear, undeniable parallels in DS, but in Jojo everyone is an unique design. And Marvel is just a light SF clone, but DS is just the alpha series with crazier (and not that much crazier anyway) combos. You'd have an easier time calling Guilty Gear a SF clone than Jojo."

Who's Guile and Blanka in Darkstalkers? Saying Demetri is Ryu because Fireballs and an uppercut (Which describes so many characters in so many fighting games) completely ignore that Demetri has more than that, same with Victor and Zangief. Some pretty base observations that don't take into account how the character actually plays in the game and only considers HURP DURP HE HAS A LARIAT.

Yet Demetri still plays more like ryu than anyone in jojo. Same with Morrigan, which would be Ken.

And durp durp victor has a lariat...and a 360 move too.

DS is just a wacky street fighter. Jojo is different and way more interesting.

Teknopathetic said:
"If the single player note is just a footnote to you, it doesn't mean it is a waste in Jojo. A good feature is a good feature."

A good feature is a good feature, but that doesn't make it a more solid fighting game.

But the lack of it doesn't make DS any better.

SUPARSTARX

dragonballjoseph said:
I don't understand how people get such high PP. Unless you fight alot of 4k+ opponents. Because any less than that, you're going to get about 7 PP.
I don't even understand how I got to 5k+.

After my tourney next week, I'll probably play Sakura hardcore in ranked and get her to A, because getting Bison to A+ will just make me angry.
I think like at certain times there's a lot more newer players with less points and/or achievement farmers. But past that, there's a more regular crowd of moderate 3-6k PP players swimming around ranked at all times. It probably helps more if you're making games, that way the baddies skip your slot and others just keep coming in for more.

"Yet Demetri still plays more like ryu than anyone in jojo. Same with Morrigan, which would be Ken."

Morrigan plays like Ken? Wow. I'm actually kind of curious to see all your SF-Darkstalkers character equivalents now.

"And durp durp victor has a lariat...and a 360 move too."

Fun Fact: Plenty of characters in the Darkstalkers series have a command grab, including Demitri. Again, base observation that doesn't take into account how the character actually *plays* in the game.

"But the lack of it doesn't make DS any better."

That's correct, because it's pretty much irrelevant. A nice feature is always welcome, but I'm pretty sure most of the past 4 Mortal Kombat games have had (probably significantly) better single player modes than every single Capcom fighting game (except maybe Alpha 3 if you dig World Tour) and it doesn't really make them any better as a fighting game.

-PXG-

DIRTY-D said:
Kadey said:

damn...I'm in Boston...and anytime I'm in Pennsylvania, Jersey, or New York I always pick up a couple of cases of Yuengling. that shit is so good. :)

yuengling2.jpg

I approve of this post

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Nightwarriors version of Demitri is godlike and should be in MvC3.
Besides the engine, the only main similarity between Stweet Fuuhter and Darkstalkers was the chain combos of Alpha one. Then both series started branching out. They nerfed Demitri. :( Ghetto ass fireball in Darkstalkers 3 and beyond. At least they made him all cute and stuff sliding in one of the Pocket Fighter stages. :D

I have the same problem, except Ryu is my main and when I use Ken. I find myself trying to do stuff that doesn't work like jabs into sweep or strong, strong with Ken. But it's funnier when I go back to Ryu and try to do step kicks and I look like a moron doing st. MK from mid range.

Yeah. When I don't pay attention (more than half the time) I tend to do that with Ryu also. I'm so use to Ken's speed. Everything just comes out faster and his links are more precise. Going back to Ryu requires taking a chill pill.

Boston is a big city and Yuengling is pretty popular. I don't see why it would not be sold there.

hitsugi

Please give us Strider alt for Guy.

...and make Guy good enough to be worthy of wearing such an ensemble. Thanks

As far as the CPS2 fighters went, Darkstalkers was released in fall 94, followed by X-Men COTA and then Nightwarriors/Vampire Hunter.

Darkstalkers introduced the chain combos, ex moves, guard reversals (which later became Alpha Counters) and air blocking.

X-Men had the super jumps and instead of the depleting super bar in ST and Darkstalkers introduced stocks.

Nightwarriors had Virtua Fighter/Tekken ground pounces and had the stocks.

Alpha 1 was doo doo. Alpha 2 was more like ST since they ditched the chain combos. Too bad it had custom combos, evil alpha counters and Chun-Li.

And SFII introduced fighting game archetypes, which were copied by a lot of games including X-Men and Darkstalkers.

I have JoJo for Dreamcast but never really put in any time into it.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
i really hope they knock it out of the park with the next set of alts. i felt the last batch was kinda lacking, and the first batch only had a few worthwhile ones as well...

haunts said:
i really hope they knock it out of the park with the next set of alts. i felt the last batch was kinda lacking, and the first batch only had a few worthwhile ones as well...

Can't remember but didn't they reveal some of the next wave of alts.

Not to make this into a DLC rant but I wish they would charge less for them or include more in a pack. It's just strange to have $20+ charged for nothing that adds substantial content to the game like the Bethseda RPGs or Burnout. But then again, I guess people playing BB:CS might be a little salty too.

I love Jojo, but I'll admit that Abdul is a shotoclone. Everybody else in that game is pretty unique, though(except maybe Young Jojo). I can't think of a character like Shadow Dio in any other game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
marathonfool said:
I just realized the name of the Ultra is briefly displayed above the super bar during the Ultra startup.

My mind is blown.
:lol

DigiMish

So I had the good chance to meet MarkMan at PAX, and goddamn - that man is every company's dream of a community manager/spokesperson, and an incredibly fun person to chat to who knows his shit.

Also bought a Chun stick (couldn't resist), and quite a few servbot bobble heads because they make a perfect gift :D

God's Beard said:
It's kinda like controlling two characters at once. I guess it's just varied assists, but it's pretty cool.

that's been around in a lot of games lol (two char at one time.) It's a lot more extensive with carl in blazblue, you have an extremely larger amount of control and options with your mannequin compared to the vid you showed.

FindMyFarms said:
that's been around in a lot of games lol (two char at one time.) It's a lot more extensive with carl in blazblue, you have an extremely larger amount of control and options with your mannequin compared to the vid you showed.

Oh really? That's cool, I'd like to know some games that give you control of two characters simultaneously, sounds badass. I've never played BB before.

Actually, it isn't so much that Jojo's has unique archetypes as it does extreme versions of archetypes. As a single rushdown character, Dio has 2 types of Rekkas, an offensive and defensive stance, an extending meaty that can be separated from himself, a programmable assist, a fullscreen crossup, a teleport, a super fireball that covers the screen vertically, a fullscreen unblockable attack, a command grab super and can stop time for free damage.

The zoning characters are equally insane. Shit that comes from the front and behind, above and below at the same time while you fend off normal attacks from the character, trying to avoid the grabs and block the attacks while creating an opening.

edit: Carl might as well be a Jojo's character. That's how 50% percent of the cast works, in one form or another.

God's Beard said:
Actually, it isn't so much that Jojo's has unique archetypes as it does extreme versions of archetypes. As a single rushdown character, Dio has 2 types of Rekkas, an offensive and defensive stance, an extending meaty that can be separated from himself, a fullscreen crossup, a teleport, a super fireball that covers the screen vertically, a fullscreen unblockable attack, a command grab super and can stop time for free damage.

The zoning characters are equally insane. Shit that comes from the front and behind, above and below at the same time while you fend off normal attacks from the character, trying to avoid the grabs and block the attacks while creating an opening.

edit: Carl might as well be a Jojo's character. That's how 50% percent of the cast works, in one form or another.

ya go play blaz/gg

FindMyFarms said:
oh ok nm then. jojo is a much simpler/toned down compared to blaz/gg

Well, it's 10 years old. My character choice has as much to do with how badass the character is as its playstyle. Dio Brando, Dudley, Q, Fei Long, Twelve, Jacky Bryant, Akira Yuki, Seigfried, Hwang Seong-gyeong, ...Gally 'Vanish' Gregman.

I can't see myself playing "Carl", even if his playstyle is right up my alley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom