• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XenoRaven

DigiMish said:
So I had the good chance to meet MarkMan at PAX, and goddamn - that man is every company's dream of a community manager/spokesperson, and an incredibly fun person to chat to who knows his shit.

Also bought a Chun stick (couldn't resist), and quite a few servbot bobble heads because they make a perfect gift :D
Wait they're out!?

EDIT: Bought. I am a consumer whore.

Dartastic

Spiderjericho said:
Can't remember but didn't they reveal some of the next wave of alts.

Not to make this into a DLC rant but I wish they would charge less for them or include more in a pack. It's just strange to have $20+ charged for nothing that adds substantial content to the game like the Bethseda RPGs or Burnout. But then again, I guess people playing BB:CS might be a little salty too.
Yeah. This. The price of costumes is stupid.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Spiderjericho said:
Not to make this into a DLC rant but I wish they would charge less for them or include more in a pack. It's just strange to have $20+ charged for nothing that adds substantial content to the game like the Bethseda RPGs or Burnout. But then again, I guess people playing BB:CS might be a little salty too.

I would MUCH rather pay for this DLC than have to do what I had to do with Honda in SF4 arcade, just to get his alt costume. You have to either win 25 matches total or play 100 matches in order to get the zenny (in-game currency) to buy an alt costume. And that alt comes with only ONE color. If you want another color, you have to win another 10 matches or play around 30 - 50 matches (I forget offhand).

And the original costumes only came with one color each, so you had to purchase all of the colors for that as well.

Oichi said:
I would MUCH rather pay for this DLC than have to do what I had to do with Honda in SF4 arcade, just to get his alt costume. You have to either win 25 matches total or play 100 matches in order to get the zenny (in-game currency) to buy an alt costume. And that alt comes with only ONE color. If you want another color, you have to win another 10 matches or play around 30 - 50 matches (I forget offhand).

And the original costumes only came with one color each, so you had to purchase all of the colors for that as well.
I would honestly have rather done it this way.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Just wait till the price drops. I know they had a weekend where all costumes was around $10 for them all. Most of them suck anyway so it's better to wait for that opportunity.

BitchTits said:
So, don't buy them?

I'm not against DLC. I think it's great for the Bethseda titles, Burnout, TF2 and a few others. And if they sold the costumes separately, I fear what they would charge. The point is they can still make money but charge a little less, especially since you're basically "unlocking" them.

Oichi that doesn't sound like a bad incentive for the game, especially if you play a lot. Now if the console version was the same or you had the choice of paying for it if you didn't have the patience to unlock it, I'd be cool.

DLC should be the new characters, bonus stages, etc.

Spiderjericho said:
I'm not against DLC. I think it's great for the Bethseda titles, Burnout, TF2 and a few others. And if they sold the costumes separately, I fear what they would charge. The point is they can still make money but charge a little less, especially since you're basically "unlocking" them.

Oichi that doesn't sound like a bad incentive for the game, especially if you play a lot. Now if the console version was the same or you had the choice of paying for it if you didn't have the patience to unlock it, I'd be cool.

DLC should be the new characters, bonus stages, etc.

The only reason it was like that is because you had to put a quarter in every time you played in the arcade version.

ElFly

Teknopathetic said:
"Yet Demetri still plays more like ryu than anyone in jojo. Same with Morrigan, which would be Ken."

Morrigan plays like Ken? Wow. I'm actually kind of curious to see all your SF-Darkstalkers character equivalents now.

"And durp durp victor has a lariat...and a 360 move too."

Fun Fact: Plenty of characters in the Darkstalkers series have a command grab, including Demitri. Again, base observation that doesn't take into account how the character actually *plays* in the game.

So? Lots of SSF4 chars have a command grab, even ultra grabs. Doesn't change the basic character style a lot.

On the other hand, let's stop with the hurp-durpery.

Here are two random videos of people playing morrigan vs demitri, found by simply putting "darkstalkers tournament" in youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmHil-hePhw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIMKnjrhbhA

It looks awfully close to what Ryu vs Ken would be if they could run. The main different thing is that DS allows you to punish people who are lying in the ground, which isn't really game changing. The fireball game is classic shotokan style.

Here's a result for "jojo tournament"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZEXFNIZumc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuhR_KMdUsk

The second one has kakyoin, which has the long attacks like, dunno, maybe dhalsim? duplicate himself? and pass to the other side of the opponent while he keeps attacking? And that's some of the more "classic" characters in Jojo.
This looks nothing like street fighter.

Teknopathetic said:
"But the lack of it doesn't make DS any better."

That's correct, because it's pretty much irrelevant. A nice feature is always welcome, but I'm pretty sure most of the past 4 Mortal Kombat games have had (probably significantly) better single player modes than every single Capcom fighting game (except maybe Alpha 3 if you dig World Tour) and it doesn't really make them any better as a fighting game.

But then you'd be playing Mortal Kombat.

Grifter

I bought a tripod and my buddy's helping to record some session matches, so I'd like to post a few here. Please enjoy and offer suggestions on our games! I'm the Akuma.

Akuma v. Honda 1 (he's a bit rusty, but the U2 setup here made me giddy):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIIha1MwWV8

Akuma v. Honda 2 (nice Honda tricks):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwiNGKKPWYM

Akuma v. Gouken (getting zoned/frame trapped by Gouken):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DudP8WTkQ2E

Akuma v. Chun (take that, Chun!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlGSMejwC2U

Threi

notag
we need to make a new gaf SSFIV FoF list. even the last one is kinda outdated.

also: was in a bit of a bad mood last night, but now that i've cheered up a bit:

20kdri8.gif

i need to really stop trying that :lol :lol :lol

BitchTits

One of the achievements is to make 30(?) endless battle lobbies, are there any stats anywhere that tell you how many you've made already?

Threi

notag
LakeEarth said:
That sucks. Would EX upkicks get you out of that situation?
yup, that's what i tried after and i was able to escape.

that was vs PPP ultra though, dunno what would happen with upkicks vs KKK ultra.

BitchTits said:
One of the achievements is to make 30(?) endless battle lobbies, are there any stats anywhere that tell you how many you've made already?

Not that I know of. Those achieves all blow. 30 endless lobbies, 30 fights via arcade request...

dankir

Threi said:
we need to make a new gaf SSFIV FoF list. even the last one is kinda outdated.

also: was in a bit of a bad mood last night, but now that i've cheered up a bit:

20kdri8.gif

i need to really stop trying that :lol :lol :lol

I thought that if both players used their Ultra's, the 2nd Ultra would always come out on top no?

LakeEarth

dankir said:
I thought that if both players used their Ultra's, the 2nd Ultra would always come out on top no?
Depends on the ultra. Balrog's has a lot of invulnerability while DeeJay's apparently doesn't. Seth's ultra 2 is 100% invulnerable and unthrowable until recovery. I don't think there's an ultra in the game that can beat it (Ken's U2 can avoid it).

"So? Lots of SSF4 chars have a command grab, even ultra grabs. Doesn't change the basic character style a lot."

I'm not even sure how this is supposed to disagree with me. The only characters with command grabs in SSF4 are the characters who've always had a command grab (or are a brand new character). Abel doesn't play like Zangief despite having a command grab. Just having a command grab means nothing.

"It looks awfully close to what Ryu vs Ken would be if they could run. The main different thing is that DS allows you to punish people who are lying in the ground, which isn't really game changing. The fireball game is classic shotokan style."

The fireball game in those vids is far from classic shotokan style unless you're playing SF2 Rainbow Edition. I'm sure there are some Ken players on GAF who would kill to have Morrigan's IAD in SSF4 and that's way more important to her style in Darkstalkers than her fireball and you see that showcased in those very videos you linked. And I hope your comparison was more than "Well, see Ken's not really about his fireball either!" It'd be like saying Dio and Jojo play just like Felicia because of her Dark Force.

"But then you'd be playing Mortal Kombat."

Precisely.

shoryuken.com said:
Gods Garden will be hosting their 2nd Online tournament event in Japan starting soon. This Super Street Fighter 4 tournament will be held on the Xbox 360, with 66 qualifying matches to take place on Sept 25th and 26th. After that, the finals sets in this giant round robin will take place ever weekend in October and the first few weekend in November.

After hearing stories about prize money limits in Japan, it is interesting to note that 1st place will be taking 500,000 Yen (about 6,000 USD). 2nd through 4th place get paid too, so there is a lot on the line in this online event. The last Gods Garden Online event was streamed, so we are expecting the same from this one. The following list of players are confirmed for this event, though their character selections have not been announced.

• Daigo Umehara
• Sako
• Tokido
• YHC-Mochi
• Mago
• Nemo
• Momochi
• Kindevu
• Uryo
• Acqua
• Tonpi
• Arai

Prize Money!! Daigo. Momochi. Kindevu. Uryo. Mochi. Tokido. Sako. Nemo. Hype.

ElFly

Teknopathetic said:
"So? Lots of SSF4 chars have a command grab, even ultra grabs. Doesn't change the basic character style a lot."

I'm not even sure how this is supposed to disagree with me. The only characters with command grabs in SSF4 are the characters who've always had a command grab (or are a brand new character). Abel doesn't play like Zangief despite having a command grab. Just having a command grab means nothing.

So your point is that Demitri having a command grab doesn't really make it different from Ryu? Ok, I'll agree with you here.

Teknopathetic said:
"It looks awfully close to what Ryu vs Ken would be if they could run. The main different thing is that DS allows you to punish people who are lying in the ground, which isn't really game changing. The fireball game is classic shotokan style."

The fireball game in those vids is far from classic shotokan style unless you're playing SF2 Rainbow Edition. I'm sure there are some Ken players on GAF who would kill to have Morrigan's IAD in SSF4 and that's way more important to her style in Darkstalkers than her fireball and you see that showcased in those very videos you linked. And I hope your comparison was more than "Well, see Ken's not really about his fireball either!" It'd be like saying Dio and Jojo play just like Felicia because of her Dark Force.

Ok, I don't know how to discuss with you anymore; Ken IS about his fireball, just like Morrigan. Of course people would kill to have more tools at their disposal like teleports, air fireballs, dash, whatevs, but doesn't change the fact that Morrigan is just using her cool toys to jump over Demitri's fireball and doing a combo, and when Demitri wants to get some breathing space, he just shoryukens. Come on, the fireball was used exactly as Ryu would use it, and her air fireball was used exactly as akuma would use it ( I guess that no one in SF really has Demitri's horizontal air fireball, unless you go to the marvel games, but still, it is not a deep change from the Ryu stereotype ).

_dementia said:
That's a huge prize for a Japanese tourney, right?

Yessir. Hope there ain't no tatooed gangstas in the background running this. Odd that they drop this kind of cheese for an online tournament. They could've also thrown it at Evo Japan to get the hypeness up.

"So your point is that Demitri having a command grab doesn't really make it different from Ryu? Ok, I'll agree with you here."

No, my point is that Victor having a command grab doesn't make him the same as Zangief. That's what started the command grab tangent, remember?

"Ok, I don't know how to discuss with you anymore; Ken IS about his fireball, just like Morrigan. Of course people would kill to have more tools at their disposal like teleports, air fireballs, dash, whatevs, but doesn't change the fact that Morrigan is just using her cool toys to jump over Demitri's fireball and doing a combo, and when Demitri wants to get some breathing space, he just shoryukens. Come on, the fireball was used exactly as Ryu would use it, and her air fireball was used exactly as akuma would use it ( I guess that no one in SF really has Demitri's horizontal air fireball, unless you go to the marvel games, but still, it is not a deep change from the Ryu stereotype )."

Ken has a weaker fireball game than Ryu and has a few more close options and combos (in general, over the course of all the SF series). And no, Morrigan isn't about her fireball, and she's not just using her "toys" to jump over Demitri's fireballs, she's also using it (a lot more than they're using her fireball in those vids) to mixup the opponent, since her air dash attacks are overheads. I'm not sure you've even watched the vids you linked, let alone played Darkstalkers for more than 10 minutes.

Thanks for the streams Haunts and Spooky! I had to watch the Keystone finals again, Haunts is too funny.

I feel like I am watching a nerd Dojo when I watch the Team Spooky stream sometimes. Definitely makes me miss my college days. Love both sites content but I feel Spooky should put more personality into his site. They need to make Min and the other Team Spooky players to make video tutorials or random content.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Teknopathetic said:
"So your point is that Demitri having a command grab doesn't really make it different from Ryu? Ok, I'll agree with you here."

No, my point is that Victor having a command grab doesn't make him the same as Zangief. That's what started the command grab tangent, remember?

"Ok, I don't know how to discuss with you anymore; Ken IS about his fireball, just like Morrigan. Of course people would kill to have more tools at their disposal like teleports, air fireballs, dash, whatevs, but doesn't change the fact that Morrigan is just using her cool toys to jump over Demitri's fireball and doing a combo, and when Demitri wants to get some breathing space, he just shoryukens. Come on, the fireball was used exactly as Ryu would use it, and her air fireball was used exactly as akuma would use it ( I guess that no one in SF really has Demitri's horizontal air fireball, unless you go to the marvel games, but still, it is not a deep change from the Ryu stereotype )."

Ken has a weaker fireball game than Ryu and has a few more close options and combos (in general, over the course of all the SF series). And no, Morrigan isn't about her fireball, and she's not just using her "toys" to jump over Demitri's fireballs, she's also using it (a lot more than they're using her fireball in those vids) to mixup the opponent, since her air dash attacks are overheads. I'm not sure you've even watched the vids you linked, let alone played Darkstalkers for more than 10 minutes.

Darkstalkers- every char but Anakaris has a command grab. Anakaris doesn't even have a normal grab.

I'd have loved the game if it didn't have Marvel-style chaining. Chains were just too good in the game.

ElFly

Teknopathetic said:

But you still haven't proved he is different; we'd only been discussing how similar to ryu are demitri and morrigan

Teknopathetic said:

I forgot about darkstalkers, as soon as COTA and Alpha 2 were available, given that it was just a wacky SF clone.

It takes some terrible eyesight to watch those videos and not think "shotokan fight" immediatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom