• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"But you still haven't proved he is different; we'd only been discussing how similar to ryu are demitri and akuma"

Zangief threatens with his SPD to make people do stupid shit and capitalize on it. That doesn't quite work in DS because I can't think of anyone who has a throw range half as good as ST Zangief AND because people are in the air a lot. A lot.

"I forgot about darkstalkers, as soon as COTA and Alpha 2 were available, given that it was just a wacky SF clone.

It takes some terrible eyesight to watch those videos and not think "shotokan fight" immediatly."

In short: You never actually played the game. Yeah, we're done here.

Leunam

XenoRaven said:
I don't avatar quote people, but I sure as hell can't think of a more appropriate time for it than right now.

a1lhkn.gif

How do you know if you're pro at Super Street Fighter 4? If you're able to do this completely unnecessary combo online with Sakura.

j.fierce > st.forward > lk tatsu > st.fierce xx lk tatsu > st.short xx hp shouken xx super cancel
:lol

N4Us

Is playing SSF4 on the 360 preferred in Japan or something? Not that I know much about recent SSF4 events they've held there so far but looking at that recent GodsGarden listing and some of the bigger names playing on XBL (Daigo, Desora, Tokido) is interesting.

XenoRaven

N4Us said:
Is playing SSF4 on the 360 preferred in Japan or something? Not that I know much about recent SSF4 events they've held there so far but looking at that recent GodsGarden listing and some of the bigger names playing on XBL (Daigo, Desora, Tokido) is interesting.
I think it has something to do with Live being better for online play there or something.

N4Us said:

Someone may want to search to verify, but I've read that PS3 and 360 incarnations of Vanilla SF4 were not identical with respect to input delay. 360 matched the arcade version while PS3 had a frame or two of "lag," meaning you hit a button and there's a split second delay before you an attack comes out (When compared to the 360. For the tests, the same display was used obviously).

Somebody did the same test when Super was released and found the same thing, that PS3 and 360 versions were not identical in this regard. When SSF4 arcade drops, more than likely it will mirror the 360 version just going off the findings with Vanilla.

This little difference doesn't necessarily "break" the experience when playing on either console though, IMO.

SmokeMaxX

the_log_ride said:
Someone may want to search to verify, but I've read that PS3 and 360 incarnations of Vanilla SF4 were not identical with respect to input delay. 360 matched the arcade version while PS3 had a frame or two of "lag," meaning you hit a button and there's a split second delay before you an attack comes out (for the tests, the same display was used obviously).

Somebody did the same test when Super was released and found the same thing, that PS3 and 360 versions were not identical in this regard. When SSF4 arcade drops, more than likely it will mirror the 360 version just going off the findings with Vanilla.

This little difference doesn't necessarily "break" the experience when playing on either console though, IMO.

This is true. There's an SRK thread about it.

Grifter

the_log_ride said:
Someone may want to search to verify, but I've read that PS3 and 360 incarnations of Vanilla SF4 were not identical with respect to input delay. 360 matched the arcade version while PS3 had a frame or two of "lag," meaning you hit a button and there's a split second delay before you an attack comes out (When compared to the 360. For the tests, the same display was used obviously).

Where'd you read this? I always thought that PS3 gave me a lot more time (relatively) to hit-confirm, chalked it up to HDTV/CRT differences.

Grifter said:
Where'd you read this? I always thought that PS3 gave me a lot more time (relatively) to hit-confirm, chalked it up to HDTV/CRT differences.

Lemme search for it. Mind you this doesn't refer to input lag due to one's display. This is a base delay of input comparing both versions given a standard display.

Threi

notag
good to see we are gunna debate how spooky sleeps now.

personally i'm impressed he can sleep and knock all of that stuff down. if it was me all of those stands and laptops (even the one on the pillow far off in the corner) would be toppled over.

ElFly

Teknopathetic said:
"But you still haven't proved he is different; we'd only been discussing how similar to ryu are demitri and akuma"

Zangief threatens with his SPD to make people do stupid shit and capitalize on it. That doesn't quite work in DS because I can't think of anyone who has a throw range half as good as ST Zangief AND because people are in the air a lot. A lot.

"I forgot about darkstalkers, as soon as COTA and Alpha 2 were available, given that it was just a wacky SF clone.

It takes some terrible eyesight to watch those videos and not think "shotokan fight" immediatly."

In short: You never actually played the game. Yeah, we're done here.

I provide proof and arguments.

You discredit my gaming creed and deny evidence.

We are done.

PS: learn to press the quote button, dude. It helps.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member

hitsugi

Huge prize money = fierce competition. I don't think we'll see anyone off of their A game during this God's Garden. Looking forward to it :D

Grifter

ExMachina said:
http://shoryuken.com/f177/ps3-360-sf4-system-lag-what-definitive-answer-231128/

shinshoryuken, Robokrikit, and cables are the SRK members who have tested the lag using various displays and all kinds of wired controllers... check out their posts towards the end of the topic for the details.
Thanks, I'll read that. I should say that I hoped it was TV lag from my many adjustments to TV/console/arcade setups. Online feels sped up to me due to the heavy input lag, yet PS3 feels slower and in a way, more precise due to the consistently minor lag.

Man, I haven't played this game in several months.

I log onto play Scott Pilgrim and a GAFchat denizen asks me to play. So I start out randomly picking Claw and win. He then beasts on me for six games. And then he says to me, "You've got a good Vega." I'm like I just randomly picked him; I'm no AZ Greg.

The worst thing is he would've beat me using my main, Ryu.

I'm officially relegated to stream monster status.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So, question for Farms and/or Sasa: why do most high level Cammys I see do cr.lk, cr.lp, st.lp -> spiral arrow? I find cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.lk a lot easier, so I was wondering if there's some sort of benefit to the other way that I'm missing?

Grifter said:
I bought a tripod and my buddy's helping to record some session matches, so I'd like to post a few here. Please enjoy and offer suggestions on our games! I'm the Akuma.

Akuma v. Honda 1 (he's a bit rusty, but the U2 setup here made me giddy):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIIha1MwWV8

Akuma v. Honda 2 (nice Honda tricks):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwiNGKKPWYM

Akuma v. Gouken (getting zoned/frame trapped by Gouken):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DudP8WTkQ2E

Akuma v. Chun (take that, Chun!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlGSMejwC2U

Couldn't give you much of a critique, to be honest. You seem pretty solid to me. I don't play any of those characters and you're a lot better at the game than I am overall. Maybe if you were like scrub level, but you're not.

I'll watch those a few more times and mull it over some more, though.

vulva

ggs farms/hito/floyd. Sorry I had to bail so quickly. Trying to fall asleep early since classes start again tomorrow.

Lost Fragment said:
So, question for Farms and/or Sasa: why do most high level Cammys I see do cr.lk, cr.lp, st.lp -> spiral arrow? I find cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.lk a lot easier, so I was wondering if there's some sort of benefit to the other way that I'm missing?

I started doing it because I kept missing characters with smaller crouching hitboxes when if I couldn't start a combo basically on top of them(i.e. Rog, sometimes Bison). I'm pretty sure it has better range, and also, if blocked, you get a +1 vs a -1 on a blocked cr lk. I guess it lets you get into blockstrings, better frame traps and dive/throw setups?

I also find cr lp, cr lk, cr lp easier but that's probably from having done it much longer and also because I'm not as clean with execution as other players so I don't want to risk having my st lp read as part of some crazy SF4-exclusive DP input. After a bit I got better at it though and have no problem using it whenever I need to, after a while, you can tell if you're close enough or not (and against which characters you'll need to use it more).

If you want to cover all your bases, use the st. lp. It's probably the better choice but I get stuck in habit of not doing it because I can be lazy like that :p

haunts

Bacon of Hope
So Pherai is going to Japan tomorrow for Super Battle Opera and will be keeping a log of everything that is going down. He mentioned if anyone has any questions about Japan, the scene out there, arcades, whatever...hit him up and he will see what he can relay back to you. I'm personally really looking forward to it since I couldnt go this year. :(

http://iplaywinner.com/news/2010/9/7/introducingthe-ipw-sbo-2010-blog.html

we should be cranking out some podcasts while he is out there too so should be dope. :D

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Woo, back in business.

My propensity to do random bullshit when I use a character I don't really know has got to end. Sure, it's led to some good laughs, but I'm not being observant nor am I thinking about what is going on.

gutabo

Grifter said:
I bought a tripod and my buddy's helping to record some session matches, so I'd like to post a few here. Please enjoy and offer suggestions on our games! I'm the Akuma.

Akuma v. Honda 1 (he's a bit rusty, but the U2 setup here made me giddy):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIIha1MwWV8

Akuma v. Honda 2 (nice Honda tricks):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwiNGKKPWYM
Nice casual matches. Since I play honda, I guess I can give some comments here, but they will mostly be based on my experience on that particular matchup. Lots of unsafe stuff by that Honda, specially unsafe links. Blocked hp hands into hands is a risky move and most mashed dps beat that. Buttslam against crossups are a really bad idea, autocorrect headbutts are the way to go, or even focus dashing some badly timed crossup air tatsus since they don't armor break. Not fearing akuma's air fireballs is nice because they don't really do much damage(I mean not as combo starters) and trades are what Honda should be looking for since akuma has low hit points. A good vortex(or a couple of loops) can drive a honda crazy because you won't give him charge so he'll have to resort to fadc/backdash to escape(if you're not predictable enough) so try to punish those escape attempts. Careful with using the fireball into ultra 1 trap, since if honda is jumping forward you can give him enough charge with the ultra freeze to do an EX headbutt after an empty jump and that will beat your ultra attempt(only if the honda knows about it tho and does it perfectly). Don't abuse s.HK because honda can focus it easily(since most of the times the second hit will whiff him beacuse of his focus animation). You want to be pushing the pressure on honda with lots of crossups/vortex ish or laming it out with properly placed fireballs. Don't use teleghaphed teleports to escape pressure(yes honda hits HARD). Beware Honda's super, but if you see it coming naked(rare but it might happen if you bait it) you can focus the first hit and release for the stun combo of your choice(or block and punish). It's kind of a though fight for akuma and it might seem like an easier fight for honda, but I think it's a 5-5. It all depends on you not making mstakes(links, combos, etc) that he might punish HARD with a couple of hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom