• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultim8p00

Banned
Jesus, just read about Ken's jab SRK nerf. Now I won't be able to play troll Ken anymore.
Still have no idea what EX tatsu being blocked low means. It never used to hit crouching opponents unless they got hit by the start-up knee. Does this mean that it hits crouching opponents now so they have to block it? If so then that is good news.

Threi

notag
~Devil Trigger~ said:
:lol Cody walks faster than Guy now
guy has great dashes and a run command so eh

hertog said:
man got my ass handed to me by a DeeJay :lol
He actually managed to have a great anti-air game
his AA ability is actually the strongest part of his game, and IMO hands down the best as far as charge characters go. You shouldn't be jumping in on him at any point in time unless you're sure it's a safe jump.

ultim8p00 said:
Jesus, just read about Ken's jab SRK nerf. Now I won't be able to play troll Ken anymore.
Still have no idea what EX tatsu being blocked low means. It never used to hit crouching opponents unless they got hit by the start-up knee. Does this mean that it hits crouching opponents now so they have to block it? If so then that is good news.

It means you can get punished if you drop the combo leading into it - and also know easy escape from the corner - but I don't know why they're nerfing him when he's already not that great.

Mago's Fei...ouch. Them combos. Seems like his reaction or execution is a little marred by online. But he's got some nice block strings, can combo off the chicken wing and has some good reaction to execute U2.

ultim8p00

Banned
Solid_Rain said:
It means you can get punished if you drop the combo leading into it - and also know easy escape from the corner - but I don't know why they're nerfing him when he's already not that great.

I usually copter escape from the corner anyways and it seems like Ken is the only shoto that still has that. I don't think I've ever straight-up tatsu'd on a crouching opponent to escape corner pressure. And also I'd gladly trade it being less punishable with it being even more viable for combos. There's so many times I've wished Ken's ex tatsu was like Ryu's where it pulls you in instead of just going over the enemy's head. I usually don't drop tatsu combos and when I do, I'm always in a position to be punished anyways so I personally am still excited.

Now that they nerfed jab SRK, maybe Capcom can fix mp SRK whiff? Or maybe make fierce SRK not be completely useless?

Nah. Fucking Capcom and their Ken hate.

ultim8p00 said:
Now that they nerfed jab SRK, maybe Capcom can fix mp SRK whiff? Or maybe make fierce SRK not be completely useless?

Nah. Fucking Capcom and their Ken hate.

mp SRK is only an AA, never to be used for anything else and f.srk is for combos but I like to throw it out when close to the opponent when I have meter so it's safe and its also really useful to get a counter hit and full animation on ultra 1 in the same senario.

DR2K

Banned
Solid_Rain said:
I can't believe that Cammy player beat Mago and TKCS helped a little it seems but EX was probably the main reason.

That would probably be Sako, insuring our character turns to total shit. :lol

AZ Greg

FindMyFarms said:
It's well documented in the industry that while they're not idiots (which I might have come off as saying), they really don't have a top level understanding of the game.

So I guess we should all be hoping and praying that this next update, which will essentially be the 4th version of the game, remains relatively balanced and viable as a tournament level game? Because your comments read as if the previous 3 versions of the game are relatively balanced and tournament viable only by a complete fluke.

I'm sorry but that comment reads like something from a Smash fan. But hey, I guess there are a lot of similarities with Smash. Thanks to Capcom not having "a top level understanding of the game" we have to do stuff like change the default rules and/or soft ban stuff to balance the game and make it viable at tournament level. Oh wait...

I'll be losing sleep between now and the release of the update. Considering their incompetence, odds are they'll mess this one up. Plus, we all know lightning doesn't strike the same place twice... er 4 times.

YakiSOBA

I haven't been keeping up with SSF4 news since SC2 came out... someone update me.

This is where I last left off:

Justin Wong eliminated early in EVO 2010
Daigo wins EVO 2010 SSF4

..thats about it. Has everything been same ol' since?

ultim8p00

Banned
Solid_Rain said:
mp SRK is only an AA, never to be used for anything else and f.srk is for combos but I like to throw it out when close to the opponent when I have meter so it's safe and its also really useful to get a counter hit and full animation on ultra 1 in the same senario.

Yeah I know. I always felt like the three srks had their uses:
jab srk = reversals and trolling
mp srk = AA
fierce srk = combo ender

I'm just hoping Capcom makes up for that by buffing the other srks since they suck (read not very versatile). Sometimes, you need just a little bit more reach for that AA and I always feel like I'm screwed because m.srk does not reach far enough and f.srk gets stuffed all the time. Hopefully now that they have gimped jab srk, they can make the others more versatile.

Ken didn't really need any nerfs imo but whatever. At least they didn't take away his kara-throw or something retarded like that.

EDIT:
Leunam said:
potentialy bannable...?

Leunam

YakiSOBA said:
I haven't been keeping up with SSF4 news since SC2 came out... someone update me.

This is where I last left off:

Justin Wong eliminated early in EVO 2010
Daigo wins EVO 2010 SSF4

..thats about it. Has everything been same ol' since?

We also learned that Justin can't drive at all.

That might not have been news to everybody, though.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
hitsugi said:
I was mostly referring to Cammy. People that like and play Cammy should be able to do her combos consistently by now.. one framers or not. For those of us that can, making it "easier" to link her normals does nothing

They are doing this for the masses, the portion of apt players being able to do one framers is extremely small percentage of people! Heck even my Dudley can't perform all the combos, much less the 1 framers.

Competition people... yeah but that's like almost no one compared to the market playing!

I remember hearing that some European guy was going to sponsor Mago to come and participate in his tournament. I guess this must be the guy.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Summer is like over. What the hell is up with these Summer line alts?

Hey Ryu, what do you think of Chun Li?

347gy9w.jpg

DarkoMaledictus said:
They are doing this for the masses, the portion of apt players being able to do one framers is extremely small percentage of people! Heck even my Dudley can't perform all the combos, much less the 1 framers.

Competition people... yeah but that's like almost no one compared to the market playing!

Dudley 1-framers generally have really bizarre timings, though. cRHx3 is a nightmare.

DarkoMaledictus said:

Cammy's combos aren't 1 frame. They're 2 frames and not particularly difficult to pull off you play her exclusively. It does take a bit of an adjustment if you play as other characters. I don't know how they would make her combos even easier.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God's Beard said:
Dudley 1-framers generally have really bizarre timings, though. cRHx3 is a nightmare.
I didn't even know cRHx3 was possible in this game. How strict is it? Is it Necro st.Fierce 6 hit juggle strict?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
AZ Greg said:
So I guess we should all be hoping and praying that this next update, which will essentially be the 4th version of the game, remains relatively balanced and viable as a tournament level game? Because your comments read as if the previous 3 versions of the game are relatively balanced and tournament viable only by a complete fluke.

I'm sorry but that comment reads like something from a Smash fan. But hey, I guess there are a lot of similarities with Smash. Thanks to Capcom not having "a top level understanding of the game" we have to do stuff like change the default rules and/or soft ban stuff to balance the game and make it viable at tournament level. Oh wait...

I'll be losing sleep between now and the release of the update. Considering their incompetence, odds are they'll mess this one up. Plus, we all know lightning doesn't strike the same place twice... er 4 times.

Was Vanilla REALLY balanced as a tournament level game, or was it just considered such due to low standards? SSF4 I think is clearly balanced power-wise- they did a good job there.

Usually history tells us that the iteration after a well-balanced game tends to be less balanced as they try new stuff out.

Part of me is getting the impression that they're trying to balance online play, not offline.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Kadey said:
The harder to do things, the better. There has to be a sense of accomplishment. More one frame links, more difficult commands, and add another bar. Just get rid of shortcuts.

Problem with this is u r only pleasing 0.005% of the players. Not everyone wants to practice 200 hours just to do a few links. Its a game, not the Olympics...

USD

Solid_Rain said:
lol who's this guy getting bodied, as always though it proves BP means nothing 99% of the time.
KSK. At least he's not as bad as Kokujin, he was getting destroyed online during the GG 2.5 breaks. :lol

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
God's Beard said:

Very true, cant do the crhx3 and I can't do the overhead to S.RH... and that's even in training lol! I'm sure though at least marn enjoys those combos...

cHaotix8

DarkoMaledictus said:
Very true, cant do the crhx3 and I can't do the overhead to S.RH... and that's even in training lol! I'm sure though at least marn enjoys those combos...

Marn does overhead to cr. jab x2 because he's too cool to max it out. I do overhead > cr. jab > standing roundhouse myself because the risk vs reward of missing an ex mgb just isn't worth it.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
DarkoMaledictus said:
Problem with this is u r only pleasing 0.005% of the players. Not everyone wants to practice 200 hours just to do a few links. Its a game, not the Olympics...

Not everyone has to do them. :D Practice makes perfect regardless of how much time you put into it. Some people may get it easily while others never or close to. It should be there for people willing to perform them. As long as the basics are there, there is a foundation for all types of players. But there should also be something for crazier folks like Sako and Poongkyo.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Kadey said:
Not everyone has to do them. :D Practice makes perfect regardless of how much time you put into it. Some people may get it easily while others never or close to. It should be there for people willing to perform them. As long as the basics are there, there is a foundation for all types of players. But there should also be something for crazier folks like Sako and Poongkyo.

Pleasing 2 players who will enjoy the game anyways at the expensive of others who will find the game frustrating is bad business and bad design.

Every time you throw up an execution barrier, some people will do it fine, some will be able to practice it, and some can't. The harder those barriers, the higher the last category becomes.

Simply put- if you're going to put an execution barrier in a game, it needs to be for a strategic reason, not just to please combo video makers.

CvS2 EO is an example of a game that went too far in the other direction. One of the reasons I loved KOF98 so much was that they got the execution right. SFA2 got it right also for the most part (though it had huge strategic flaws).

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So what you're tellin me is that I'll be even more ass in the update. Freaking challenge it is then mayng. Keep it free please Capcom. :)
Positivity, I gots it.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Kadey said:

High level stuff is fine, but the game seems to revolve around it a bit too much. The time spent in training just to do links seems way too long. The timing in general is very strict and on the other hand mashing reversals make it impossible for regular players to try out some combos or links. Its just very contradictory...

Just doing block strings seems like a gamble, unless you are dead on, that game mechanic is worthless to you... (unless you double jab pause... but playing like that is no fun)

Either build a game around execution or build it around brain deal reversals but not both...

marathonfool said:
Cammy's combos aren't 1 frame. They're 2 frames and not particularly difficult to pull off you play her exclusively. It does take a bit of an adjustment if you play as other characters. I don't know how they would make her combos even easier.
thoguht cr. fierce cr. mk into spiral arrow was 1 frame?

I dunno anything so laugh at me plz if I'm wrong :p

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
TurtleSnatcher said:
thoguht cr. fierce cr. mk into spiral arrow was 1 frame?

I dunno anything so laugh at me plz if I'm wrong :p
It's a 2 framer. c.HP is +7, cr.MK startup is 6, IIRC.

And her other common link is st.cl.MP, cr.MP, which is also 2 frames.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
cHaotix8 said:
I just wish they would put chain combos in street fighter so we wouldn't have to plinks and doubletaps.

Just the 3s characters I guess... Then again not all target combos are useful. Most useful I've seen are Ibuki and Guy. There might be others but just the ones that opened the door for more damage out of them!

DarkoMaledictus said:
Just the 3s characters I guess... Then again not all target combos are useful. Most useful I've seen are Ibuki and Guy. There might be others but just the ones that opened the door for more damage out of them!

Dudley's cLKxxMK chain is godlike.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
God's Beard said:
So I'm still the only one that goes f+RH, RHxxEX MGB?

I'll die before I add extra hit confirms!

Nah I use it too, but I add sometimes the extra cr.jab in between to make them think there is no end to the pressure... psychological warfare. That is when I don't eat an ultra or a reversal for free which seems to be a lot online lately...

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
God's Beard said:
Dudley's cLKxxMK chain is godlike.

Its great, but you can't do a special or continue after (not taking about super). Its not like guy who can target, special, special in corner or Ibuki who can link 2 target combos back to back.

Edit : Btw do you use the Dudley's cLKxxMKxxS.FP option select? Seems godlike against chronic backdashers!

DarkoMaledictus said:
Nah I use it too, but I add sometimes the extra cr.jab in between to make them think there is no end to the pressure... psychological warfare. That is when I don't eat an ultra or a reversal for free which seems to be a lot online lately...

Why not just change the combo into something that actually lets you continue the pressure instead of killing your damage potential?

Like f+RH, RHxxDucking Upper FADC?

DarkoMaledictus said:
Its great, but you can't do a special or continue after (not taking about super). Its not like guy who can target, special, special in corner or Ibuki who can link 2 target combos back to back.

UHHHHHHH

cLKxxMKxxjab Jet Upper/MGB is Dudley's Bread and Butter.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
God's Beard said:
Why not just change the combo into something that actually lets you continue the pressure instead of killing your damage potential?

Like f+RH, RHxxDucking Upper FADC?

UHHHHHHH

cLKxxMKxxjab Jet Upper/MGB is Dudley's Bread and Butter.

Talking about target combos not combos.

edit : then again did't know the jab linked after cLKxxMK. For me bread and buther has always been f.mkxxjabxxS.RH Mgb ducking upper or cr.HK.

Guess you learn sometimes everyday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom