• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Gyrian said:
A2tSf.jpg
:lol :lol :lol

Kadey said:
Yeah. I think I like Super much more. Even with the nerfs. The gap between the low and high tier characters is bigger and game play just seems overall slower. Turtling is more prominent.

I like super more than vanilla myself. So far whats going on with the AE changes though makes me wonder if Capcom has their heads stitched on right.

Personally I agree that turtling got worse in super *it was bad in vanilla as well* but what I have always wondered is why do games like 3S or Alpha 3 or CVS2 seem like they are no where near as turtlely?

My guess is that the answer is the mechanics in those games give disincentives to turtling too much. Alpha 3 had a guard crush meter, 3S had parry so you could rush if you were skilled at using it, CVS2 has grooves with many different options *though some options were pretty broken lol*. SF4 just has Focus Attacks, and apparently it is not enough to stop it on its own.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
noneofexion said:
We (I) NEED a high-res picture/scan of this for computer desktop purposes… Sick poster!

21_twins17.jpg

Markman, I think you were the one who posted it originally?

I have the actual poster. I'll get better res images.

stabicron7 said:
Personally I agree that turtling got worse in super *it was bad in vanilla as well* but what I have always wondered is why do games like 3S or Alpha 3 or CVS2 seem like they are no where near as turtlely?

My guess is that the answer is the mechanics in those games give disincentives to turtling too much. Alpha 3 had a guard crush meter, 3S had parry so you could rush if you were skilled at using it, CVS2 has grooves with many different options *though some options were pretty broken lol*. SF4 just has Focus Attacks, and apparently it is not enough to stop it on its own.

Ya, it would be mechanics. The only thing that allows turtle play is fireball type attacks, and in 3S (only one of your listed games Ive played) parrying nullifies fireballs. In games like Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, all the characters can generally close the gap between them and their opponents in a split second, also making fireballs risky (you throw one, and they just instant air dash into your face).

That doesn't mean turtling should be auto bad in SF4 tho! I think in SSF4's case, I think turtling is just a symptom of balance issues.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
cHaotix8 said:
How does makoto deal with shoto cr. forward option select fireball? I assume deep jump ins get beat by a late mp. dp?

Tsuguri. Or hang out just out of range and try to sweep it.

Or if you're feeling gutsy and you're pretty sure they're gonna commit to it, use the opportunity to jump in on them.

USD

Spiderjericho said:
So is the point of GG to have the most wins at the end vice the tournament format of the last one?
This is just the prelims, top six players advance to the next round.

Lost Fragment said:
They can't jump backwards forever. Eventually they're gonna get stuck in the corner, and that's not where you want to be against Makoto because she has a really evil mixup game in the corner.

Forgot to mention ex hayate for coward copter.

EX Hayate to punish it? I am doubtful because it feels like something I would have tried already. I want to say the copter goes too far away, but I don't really know offhand.

What'll be interesting to watch is after Makoto gets buffed (if she gets buffed in proper balanced ways), all the Makoto players starting to just steamroll. Not because of unbalance, but because of how good players had to get because of how bad she was. Happened with Hakumen. Wears off a couple months after it comes out though.

Dartastic

I just realized that I play Makoto without using any option selects. Hah. What ARE her option selects, and when should I be using them? Also, what's with the sudden amount of people discussing her? Kinda weird.

Acid08

Banned
Sorry to everyone I was playing with, got disconnected from PSN and it wouldn't reconnect :[. My PS3 wifi has been acting up a lot lately.

Threi

notag
had a wtf moment today: tried to punish vega's U2 with a c.mp xx ex mgu...the ex mgu whiffed completely.

at point blank range.

...?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
FreedomFrisbee said:
EX Hayate to punish it? I am doubtful because it feels like something I would have tried already. I want to say the copter goes too far away, but I don't really know offhand.

Kara ex hayate hits it. Or just dash before the ex hayate, but you have to react a bit quicker that way.

Either way, they can't copter out risk-free.

marathonfool said:
I thought Momochi had the life lead when the timer ran out. Daigo is cheating.

Even after Daigo was declared the winner, it still looked like Momochi won to me. I kept looking at the health bar and it always looked like Ken's was longer.

But great performance by Daigo so far. He's playing really patient, which is needed in this match up or you'll be eating step kicks all day.

I just realized this is a FT3. I guess every match from the round robin will be like that. I thought we were going to see Daigo and Momochi go at it for another hour or so. But it looks like we'll see a variety of top Japanese players tonight.

Wonder what's happening with the stream B matches. I would assume that they're happening without us seeing them...but the results aren't being recorded over time like Stream A's matches. I only see that Uryo and Daigo have one point. I have no idea what the results of Mago vs Arai are.

USD

Mago bringing it back from the point of defeat. Don't let me down.

EDIT: 4 straight losses for Momochi, pretty sure he's out of the tourney now. :lol

EDIT: YEEEEEEEEESSS Mago takes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom