• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
KajunW said:
Looks like Mago (5 won, 2 left to play), Nemo (4 won, 2 left to play), Kindevu (4 won, 1 left to play), Momochi (4 won, 1 left to play) and Acqua (2 won, 6 left to play) will battle for the last two qualifying spots.

What format is the actual tournament going to be? FT10? And how many participants? Four...Daigo, Sako, Mago and someone else?

KajunW

Spiderjericho said:
What format is the actual tournament going to be? FT10? And how many participants? Four...Daigo, Sako, Mago and someone else?

Round Robin, FT3, 12 participants, top 6 participants (most wins) will advance to the second round. Since the next round is played over several weeks, it is likely to be a longer format (e.g. FT10 as noted here).

Not sure what the tiebreaker rules are (there's a real chance some players will tie for last few spots), but best games net difference, then best rounds net difference, sounds logical here.

USD

Spiderjericho said:
FT10, top six from qualifiers, round robin. Basically like the qualifiers, just longer matches with fewer players.

USD

KajunW said:
Round Robin, FT3, 12 participants, top 6 participants (most wins) will advance to the second round. Since the next round is played over several weeks, it is likely to be a longer format (e.g. FT10 as noted here).

Not sure what the tiebreaker rules are (there's a real chance some players will tie for last few spots), but best games net difference, then best rounds net difference, sounds logical here.
Here are the rules (in Japanese):

http://godsgarden.jp/godsgarden_online_002/ongods2_rule/

If there's a tie, they'll have tiebreaker matches to settle it.

USD

So at this point, Sako, Daigo, and Uryo have qualified for the next round, while Mago and Mochi are in good positions to also qualify (if they win their respective final matches, they automatically qualify).

EDIT: Since Nemo just lost (and no other player other than Aqua can get 6 wins), Mago and Mochi qualify.
KajunW said:
What if there are more than 2 players tied? Tiebreaker matches in a mini-Round Robin format?
Yes.

KajunW

Nemo losing to Arai means Mago & Mochi have qualified, I think.

Player vying for last spot:
Nemo, Kindevu, Momochi tied at 4, with 1 left to play; Aqua with 3, with 4 left to play.

_Xenon_

Banned
KajunW said:
Nemo losing to Arai means Mago & Mochi have qualified, I think.

Player vying for last spot:
Nemo, Kindevu, Momochi tied at 4, with 1 left to play; Aqua with 3, with 4 left to play.
I think Nemo is pretty much out. His last match is against Diago and I don't think his performance today can make it. This is sad :(

USD

Six matches left (not sure of the order, as they've been jumping around):
Aqua VS Mago (right now)
Aqua VS Kindevu
Aqua VS Momochi
Daigo VS Nemo
Daigo VS Mochi
Daigo VS Sako

KajunW

Yeah, Nemo's been disappointing today; five matches were pretty much disastrous (0-3).

Assuming that Nemo will lose to Daigo:

Now that Acqua's lost to Mago, he needs to win his remaining two to qualify.
If he loses both, we'll see a tiebreaker between Momochi and Kindevu.
If he loses one, his opponent (Momochi or Kindevu) will go through.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Holy fuck. Daigo went buckwild in that last round. :lol He did a variation of my combo video. Match of the tournament by far. Both guys were playing awesome.

I'll make a gif of that combo when matches are archived. :D

Mochi was like
rlc0vd.jpg

in the end :lol

USD

Daigo swept, but the match was still intense. Sako pulled off some clutch shit, and the Super punish on the Umecopter was nice. Still, THE BEAST.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
He went and took a chill pill after losing to Uryo. Sako showed he can easily make a comeback in 10 seconds or so with those ridiculous combos. It's too bad if Capcom nerfs Cammy, Sako is really going to take a hit.

Mochi vs Daigo was the best match by far though.

_Xenon_ said:
Daigo is the living proof of why Ryu has to be nerfed again and again. Fuck that helicopter bullshit.

That's why all these Ryus were top 8 at EVO or major tourneys.

Daigo is just that good. Ryu is fine.

KajunW

Rice-Eater said:
It looks like the myth of Sako has been destroyed. Daigo is your one and only master people :lol

Well, it was only one match, and on top of that, it was really close. Daigo is amazing at zoning, footsies, and has his trademark moments where he's in a flow, and seemingly able to predict anything his opponent does. But it seems to me that he has trouble against 1) ultra-defensive characters 2) ultra-agressive characters. Particularly, he has relatively more trouble getting out of mixup games than other top players (I think that's his one weakness). This is not just for SF4, but also other games like CVS2. Sako will have a chance for revenge in the subsequent round(s).

EDIT: two matches need to be played, for the last spot, but it says they've not been scheduled yet because of network issues? I don't get it, did one of the players have his internet connection dropped?

bigmit3737 said:
That's why all these Ryus were top 8 at EVO or major tourneys.

Daigo is just that good. Ryu is fine.

Truth...

People always hate Ryu, but Daigo is the only one who uses him at that level. Who can name me the 2nd best Ryu? Valle? Airgen? Choi?

Edit: Momochi and acqua couldn't play each other due to connection issues. It would kick one or the other out when in the lobby.

vissione

Banned
KajunW said:
EDIT: two matches need to be played, for the last spot, but it says they've not been scheduled yet because of network issues? I don't get it, did one of the players have his internet connection dropped?

I thought Acqua and Momochi had NAT issues or something with his Xbox and couldn't connect to momochi for some reason.

USD

My favorite matches were Mago/Daigo, Mago/Sako, Daigo/Mochi, and Daigo/Acqua. Daigo/Sako was also fun to watch, even with the sweep.

KajunW

KS Seven X said:
Truth...

People always hate Ryu, but Daigo is the only one who uses him at that level. Who can name me the 2nd best Ryu? Valle? Airgen? Choi?

Edit: Momochi and acqua couldn't play each other due to connection issues. It would kick one or the other out when in the lobby.

Fuudo is probably second best.

Acqua couldn't play Kindevu either?

USD said:
My favorite matches were Mago/Daigo, Mago/Sako, Daigo/Mochi, and Daigo/Acqua. Daigo/Sako was also fun to watch, even with the sweep.

For me as well. Mago/Daigo & Daigo/Mochi were incredibly tense.

Nice gif Kadey :lol

To me it kind of looks like Mochi just threw in the towel at the end. Almost like the guy was saying "fuck it, you win, just make it quick".

The only disappointing thing about GGO2 for me is the exclusion of guys who have made a name for themselves through online play. Every player from the looks of it has established there name in the arcade. I'm guessing guys like Hiropon, Kiryu, or Bullcat are not well known arcade players so it would have been great to include them in the line up to see how well they perform against the established guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom