• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

abstract alien said:
I'm such a beginner when it comes to true competitive play that the advice I'm about to give is practically worthless, but I'll say it anyway. A friend of mine plays Sagat and I use guile from time to time, just to relive the older SF days when he was my main. I had the hardest time getting anything done against him due to Sagat just being so damn well rounded in general, so I just started to turtle the shit out of him. I mean, I turtled to the point of boredom, but it was the only way I could squeeze out a win. I tried to be offensive when the opportunity would come up(I'm pretty crafty when it comes to baiting it seems), but more often than not Sagat would beat every move I threw if it weren't a clean hit. So I just turtled. All day. He isn't that good of a player either, but yeah...that's my advice.

Worthless, but it's all I got.

That's not bad advice versus Sagat actually. :p

IMO a lot of Sagat players don't have much patience. If you turtle the shit out of them they eventually get frustrated and throw out something unsafe. Then punish as hard as you can.

Kind of lame but it's pretty effective.

Grifter

vissione

Banned
USD said:
MK only hits once, which is why you opt for it over HK.

Now with video footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6xbQfj7gUY#t=2m11s

You guys are certainly right. I gave up on the sako combo practice but when you practice in the corner I'd see this all the time and it got me thinking it always hit 5~6 times. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyT0t8ouvh4&t=0m10s

So in the corner it does complete 6 hits at least on blanka ( gotta love beating on the troll).

I usually do cr. hp > cr. mk > hk SA online for max damage, and cr. hp > st. mp > hk SA for use offline. I couldn't be bothered to memorize which characters I have to use cr. mk on and which I have to use st. mp on to use the sako combo, not to mention the crazy difficulty of that combo made me give up. But it's definitely pretty to look at. :D

ArjanN said:
That's not bad advice versus Sagat actually. :p

IMO a lot of Sagat players don't have much patience. If you turtle the shit out of them they eventually get frustrated and throw out something unsafe. Then punish as hard as you can.

Kind of lame but it's pretty effective.

Kadey said:
Yeah. You must have insane execution to pull that off in a match. Does it work on certain characters only?
The crouching fierce seems to push away so far so that the forward has no chance of connecting. I can probably do it on a pad but being a beginner with a stick makes it so that I won't be able to pull that off any time soon.

Yeah your better off going for cr.hp > cr.mk xx hk sa in punish situations and her standard BNB (cr.lk, cr.lp > cr.lk xx hk sa or one of its many variants) for nearly everything else. I never saw the point of going for the Sako combo myself, it seems like needless flash.

Papi

I love trolling online with Blanka. Nearly everyone plays like shit against Blanka because they hate him. My greatest troll achievement was doing an ultra chip kill in the first round then doing the anti-air ultra at close range, in the second round, and having my opponent jump into it. :lol
Oh Blanka...

Papi said:
I love trolling online with Blanka. Nearly everyone plays like shit against Blanka because they hate him. My greatest troll achievement was doing an ultra chip kill in the first round then doing the anti-air ultra at close range, in the second round, and having my opponent jump into it. :lol
Oh Blanka...

FUCK U!

ReiGun

Papi said:
Oh Blanka...
I.....I think I hate you.

Papi said:
Oh Blanka...
have some dignity and troll with Dan or Adon

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
_dementia said:
Capcom is announcing 2 games tomorrow. Anyone think SSFIV: Arcade Edition: Console Edition is a possibility?

More like SSF4: Arcade Edition: Coming in a Patch to the Console SSF4 edition." :mad:

BitchTits

Finally got C rank with Ken and Sagat - I felt so dirty every time I had to pick them :(

Just Akuma and Seth to go for the C-rank achievement :D

Papi said:
Oh Blanka...
I have no idea how to fight even the most basic blanka, claw, or deejay with rufus. I lose every time.

black_vegeta said:
Spam dive kick. Mash EX Messiah through block-strings.
If there is one thing I do, its worship the EX Jesus Kick with Rufus lol, I guess I should have more confidence in the dive kick though. Well, I guess I should say, more confidence that I am doing it at the right time. I'm also learning to use more of rufus's pokes such as his mk at the correct distance. crouching fp is really good too at times.

I'll take your advice and give it a go, thanks. Always so helpful :D

Edit: Can you cross up dive kick blanka's electric shock? I did it once, but I've never been able to do it again, so I assumed it was just one of those odd moments.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
TheSeks said:
More like SSF4: Arcade Edition: Coming in a Patch to the Console SSF4 edition." :mad:

Why the angry face? I thought patch updating is what we wanted to see rather than Capcom go back on their word and release another disc based edition?

Unless they make everyone happy by releasing a patch then changing the retail discs to a complete SSF4 edition on greatest hits.

abstract alien said:
If there is one thing I do, its worship the EX Jesus Kick with Rufus lol, I guess I should have more confidence in the dive kick though. Well, I guess I should say, more confidence that I am doing it at the right time. I'm also learning to use more of rufus's pokes such as his mk at the correct distance. crouching fp is really good too at times.

I'll take your advice and give it a go, thanks. Always so helpful :D

Edit: Can you cross up dive kick blanka's electric shock? I did it once, but I've never been able to do it again, so I assumed it was just one of those odd moments.

Keep in mind I don't even play Rufus, lol. I just gave you advice from what other Rufus players have done while playing against me.

AZ Greg

abstract alien said:
I have no idea how to fight even the most basic claw with rufus. I lose every time.

lol. Wish there were more Rufus' like that. :(

My Guile strategy, FA absorb a bunch of sonic booms and hope they get greedy when they see that damage available to them if they come after and hit me. Suck it down impatient turtles! This does backfire from time to time. :p

_Xenon_

Banned
Papi said:
Oh Blanka...
grab -> back hop -> lp ball -> grab again is my favorite trolling, always works at the beginning of the game and end of the game. Watching my opponents' button input in the replay mode is priceless.

abstract alien said:
I have no idea how to fight even the most basic blanka, claw, or deejay with rufus. I lose every time.
Against blanka:
1. stand block the ball then punish it with crouching HP
2. walk him into corner (works for all casts against blanka)

gutabo

Yesterday I made this small guide for someone, maybe it helps someone here too.

USING HONDA VS ZANGIEF - MATCHUP INFO
Most of these WILL be repeating stuff from great Honda players.

General:
- DON'T USE BUTTSLAM. AT ALL. Gief can spd/super/ultra you out of it. Only use might be to punish badly timed crossups attemps with EX, and even those are risky, since all reversal buttslams on wakeup can be safejumped or you might do it too early missing the autocorrect window(or not missing the autocorrect window but missing gief).

- DON'T FULLSCREEN HEADBUTT "JUST IN CASE". Just stop doing it, I shouldn't have to tell you that lariat on reaction > all headbutt variants(even super/ultra).

- DON'T JUMP FORWARD. AT ALL. This is similar to the buttslam issue. Crouching lariat beats or trades with all your jumping forward attacks, even the almighty air jesus chop a.k.a. j.MP(and if it trades you get the friendly ex green hand as a bonus). So WALK FORWARD. Also, don't try to cross him up with j.MK, same rules apply.

- THIS IS NOT VANILLA! So yeah, sometimes people forget that lariat has been nerfed and that you can actually punish close lariats with a c.MK xx hands xx super or something like that. Also learn the differences between PPP and KKK lariat(the sound is different, the punish too). Punish whiffed lariats, even from full screen!

- PUNISH HIS JUMP IN ATTEMPTS. So he wants to jump in? LP/EX headbutt, jesus chop(situational), nj. fierce, jump back HK or even early buttslam his ass. Just let him know that he's a fool for trying it. Every time.

- PUNISH WHIFFED STANDING HK. Some giefs will go for a whiffed standing roundhouse into something(usually spd). Train yourself to either punish it with c.LP into hands or jump backwards. Jumping is not the best idea but if you can't punish the s.HK it might be better than eating a super/ultra.

- BE AWARE OF GREEN HAND RANGE. Some giefs try to go for a whiffed green hand into spd(once in a while) or will try to EX green hand your footsie attempts. Be aware of that range so you don't try to whiff normals or go for a NJ. fierce(that can be punished with ex green hand) if you're abusing it. Ex version has the most recovery(-9 on block), but even on hit(any regular version) the most frame advantage gief gets is -5(and -7 on block) so punish accordingly.

- DO THE "JUMP OS". Most giefs will go for a crossup splash and then tick into throw, or go for the crossup knee(d+LK while jumping) into 360+k(or even empty jump into spd/super/ultra). As you(might) know, fierce blockstun is bigger than light blockstun, so you can train yourself to block and immediately wiggle the stick/pad up/up back and then go back to back or down back, so if gief used a splash, nothing will happen, but if he used a knee you will jump and avoid the grab(since the grab is his safest option). Timing is a bit different for the empty jump(faster), but it still works.

- DO THE "JUMP OS" PART 2. So, you've been practicing the c.LP/c.LK/c.MK into hands but you're not 100% there yet? Ok, after the move you're canceling the hands into, buffer a jump backwards. If you don't get the hands, you'll jump to safety, avoiding the mashed [insert special move here]. If you do get the hands, good for you! There's an extension: jump backwards and do an early roundhouse, it'll beat his lariat if close enough, and if he did EX green hand instead you can throw him upon landing.

- REMEMBER YOU CAN HANDS INTO HANDS INTO HANDS HIM. It might not be your best combo, but I've noticed it makes giefs very defensive afterwards. Nah, seriously, remember that you can go all "combo video" with gief. Just don't miss, otherwise you'll be eating mashed EX green hand/spd/ultra.

- MIXUP THAT OICHO. Giefs get comfortable knowing that they have one of the best command throws in the game, if not the best. So they can grow careless and start to block everything you throw at them trusting their tech abilities. LP Oicho them from max range! Oh, and don't oicho them if they are in the corner, just do it if it'll give you the round/game. Same for hands FADC into oicho(only use it if it nets you the win).

- BE PATIENT. So he's out-turtling you? nonsense! get him to the corner(as slowly as it might be), then watch him die trying to get out. Punish his jump attempts, be careful with the ex green hand(block and throw him into the corner again or "combo video" him), use s.HK/s.HP/c.LP into hands, or all of the above. Let HIM fall into YOUR traps, you don't have to rush him. Ever.

- TRY TO READ HIM. Ok, so he knocks you down, does his LP green hand and then blocks, trying to punish your reversal? Oicho his ass! He jumps a lot towards you? Wait for him and punish him! He waits for you? Be careful with your approach! He always does the same blockstring? EX headbutt through it! He tries to s.MP you to death? Jesus chop that shit! You have to read him before he reads you, so you might wanna make some planned mistakes to see what he knows about the matchup. Just make sure that they aren't your last mistakes.

- DON'T PANIC. Ok, again, he got a knockdown, do a proper evaluation of what's going on. Do you have both charges? Can you do the autocorrect headbutt? Is he jumping early enough so that your reversal ex buttslam will get him? Is he jumping or is he short jumping? Does it matter? The only way you can do this is if you don't panic. If you DO panic you'll start to make mistakes, like hold upback(or downback) and you will be punished for that because that's what Gief wants you to do. So don't fall for that. The only way you can keep your cool is to get used to the matchup, to know what to expect and what gief can and can't do. And you're going to lose in the meantime so anyway don't panic. At least, a lost round can always give you a read of what to expect and what mistakes you shouldn't repeat. Finally, a great gief will do stuff that will surprise you anyway, so keep your cool too so you can learn something about it and maybe counter it on the fly.

Honda vs Gief "Flowchart":
-He knows how to punish nj. Fierce?
-NO: Spam it. Seriously. Afterwards if blocked use a mix of s.HK, s.HP, c.LP xx hands, max range "tick" oicho or jump and do another one.
-YES: Use VERY sparingly, and punish his punishes accordingly. Avoid his s.HK range(or bait and punish it), and punish his own c.HP/c.HK punish attempts with early mini jesus chop nj.LP(counter hit) into c.LP into hands into hell for him. You can sometimes hit his s.HK with nj. HK but its a trade slightly in his favor so it's better to just bait and punish it. Only properly spaced df.HK can't be punished 100% of the times from a neutral jump, but it can be trip guarded if you do nothing in the air and block upon landing. And after blocking, you can combo his ass since no matter how meaty his df HK is, his frame "advantage" will range from -11 to -4(worst case scenario, very rare) and your c.LP is a 4 framer.

-He mashes [insert gief special move here]?
-YES, he mashes EX green hand: You have 9 frames(if blocked), you can normal throw, oicho or c.LP/c.MK into hands. So block and punish. Better: bait, block and punish. Or bait(or predict), jump backwards as he moves towards you(with all that butter on him) and combo him as you land. Careful with your links(don't use them).
-YES, he mashes lariat: Don't jump as often, crouch and punish. Or use nj.HK(from very close), nj. fierce(from a distance), j.kinda early fierce(from far). Do them all on reaction. Only nj.fierce works preemptively from the right distance, the other options can trade/be beaten by crouching lariat. Also oicho wakeup/regular lariats if he doesn't know the unthrowable lariat trick(press up and then lariat).
-YES, he mashes spd/super/ultra 1: bait, neutral jump into HK/HP into ground combo. Punish every whiffed grab, even with far HK. Don't do any links, honda has NO SAFE LINKS AT ALL, HE CAN'T CHAIN HIS NORMALS AND YOU KNOW IT. So if you're attempting to link some normals in a nice blockstring, guess what, any normal you throw there might be SPDed afterwards on block, or sometimes even on hit too. Hell, even blocked c.LP into hands in unsafe!(the pause between the c.LP and the hands can be grabbed by ex spd/super/ultra, it's hard but it's possible) So just (neutral)jump/backdash to avoid the command throw and then punish.

- He got you with a nj. fierce?
-Back up a little bit, you might get stunned easily in a follow up combo. Don't do it predictably tho. Or get him to block some of your stuff too, whatever makes your stun meter go down. Except blocking, if you keep blocking his attacks your stun won't go down.

- He can't punish blocked buttslam?
- LOL. Spam it to death, so next time you play him he'll know how to punish it. Even better, tell him that he can punish it.

- Nothing works, he's IFC Zangief/Kilivan/Vangief!:
-Do your best, and prepare to be read to death. Embrace it and try to learn something from it. Heck, record the fight and watch it many times. Check gief's inputs, OSs and such. Upload it to youtube and post it here!

Sorry for the Wall Of Text.
tl;dr version: use chun or akuma against gief.

gutabo

Threi

notag
already seen every single one :D

I emulated my playstyle from him, outside of dash ultra.

or is it he's emulated his playstyle from me? ;)

but yeah it does feel sometimes that i'm in over my head with deejay. you need to be good at the game to be good with him, i still think "what could have been" if i put real effort into rog or chun.

also, where was he at NSB? As far as i know there were ZERO deejay players there. would have been nice to see him on one of the four streams or something...

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Who wants to play? The moon is playing hide and seek with the stars tonight.

P.S- Random tournament will start pretty soon.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Only if you wear proper shoes. :D

Anyway, great games PSN. Played Kaako in a bunch of matches before that and a few other people before him. Sorry I have to leave.

man, I don't play much anymore...maybe once or twice a week now. Maybe, I should learn a new character to respark my interests. I'm bored of Cammy and Chun Li. Guy is a pain in the ass but he's the only character I am liking now.

chriskun

gutabo said:
- DON'T JUMP FORWARD. AT ALL. This is similar to the buttslam issue. Crouching lariat beats or trades with all your jumping forward attacks, even the almighty air jesus chop a.k.a. j.MP(and if it trades you get the friendly ex green hand as a bonus). So WALK FORWARD. Also, don't try to cross him up with j.MK, same rules apply.

I thought j. RH beats lariat from the proper distance doesn't it?? Maybe this only works on Scrubgeifs but I know in vanilla it worked. Haven't played many geifs since super came out since everyone one dropped him. Fucking pussies.

chriskun said:
I thought j. RH beats lariat from the proper distance doesn't it?? Maybe this only works on Scrubgeifs but I know in vanilla it worked. Haven't played many geifs since super came out since everyone one dropped him. Fucking pussies.

at that same distance the j. rh whiffs if gief doesn't lariat and he gets a free jab spd due to trip guard

DR2K

Banned
Dartastic said:
OMFG I FINALLY JUST RANKED UP TO B WITH MAKOTO YESSDddddsssSsssSSs!

That must do wonders for your sex life.

Ranked up to B with Cammy in both PS3 and X360. . .

gutabo

chriskun said:
Nope. At best it trades(and then you get the lovely EX green hand). Remeber it's CROUCHING lariat on reaction, not an already spinning gief. Maybe your opponents were timing their lariats in a weird way. If well timed, crouching lariat will beat or trade with all of Honda's jump in attacks.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Great matches tonight psn gaf. I tried to keep my cool for the most part but I slipped more than too many times haha. Really intense fights overall. I was actually surprised I was able to keep up somewhat. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, loved that Ibuki U1 in the midst of Guile's U2. I started spamming that shit like my life depended on it! :lol

Dartastic

DR2K said:
That must do wonders for your sex life.

Ranked up to B with Cammy in both PS3 and X360. . .

DR2K
Hasn't unlocked EX Cammy

:p

...and my sex life is ok right now, thank you very much. :p

black_vegeta said:
What took you so long?

:p

I lack yaoi. Wait, that's not the term. Yamui? Whatever that word is about reading your opponent well. Yeah. I also don't go into training mode and practice things I should practice, like instant axe kicks and kara-karakusas and links and stuff. I probably should. :p

Threi

notag
ya boy threi is MOVIN ON UP

mymovie_1xpd6.gif

best part is it wasn't a one time thing, did it several times...hopefully it isn't a one day fluke though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom