• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimosabae

Banned
AZ Greg said:
:lol :lol :lol

Wait, what? Does BlazBlu charge for colors? Or are you just trying to reduce SF4/SSF4 alternative costumes to being nothing more than new colors in order to "strengthen" your argument?

BB:CT charged for a fresh set of alternate colors.

Ranked battle is a good way to gauge how tired you are.

My experience goes something like this:

win
win
win
win - I'm feeling good today!
win
win
lose
win
win
lose - hmm...
win
win
win
lose - ok, that's three strikes, I should hang it u... hmm I'm pretty close to 2K PP, I'll keep going for a little
win
win
win
lose
win
win
lose - man 5 already?
win
lose
lose
win
lose
win
win
lose
lose
lose
lose
lose - down to 1500 FUCK THIS GAME XBOX OFF

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
fubarduck said:
You have this unhealthy American mentality of "more content = better value". Sometimes, good things come in smaller packages. Which meal would you enjoy more, a $6 Chinese buffet or a $40 sushi dinner?

Fighting games have a ridiculous amount of content assuming you're actually in it for the right reasons (playing the game competitively against human opponents). BB:CS is an extremely deep competitive game despite having fewer characters than any GGXX, and it hasn't bothered me one bit.

Surely you wouldn't argue that MVC2 is better for having 50+ characters despite less than 10 of them being playable on a competitive level? Variety and balance are what you are paying for in a good fighter, and BB:CS offers fantastic variety even with the current cast.

Wow, this isn't true at all. I'm willing to bet you a TON of fighting games in the 90s had characters intentionally withheld for inclusion in the sequel (which almost always came a year or less later). I have no idea about this larger gap between iterations you speak of; I clearly remember a King of Fighters game, an SF Alpha, an SF Three, and a Darkstalkers coming out pretty much a year apart on the dot. The gap really hasn't changed at all.

With DLC, they are giving console fighting gamers an option to purchase content that normally would've been reserved for a new title for a marginally cheaper price. This is probably the fairest way these companies have ever done business with their fans--or did you forget paying $80 for the SSF2: Turbo SNES cartridge with no new characters?

The thing with the DLC model is that it forces you to commit all-in, or get off the pot quickly. Unsure if that's a good or bad thing though- I guess it depends on whether you build all the online content Arc is going would have been a 2nd disc or not (I do)

That said, I just realized I'd kill for System Direction in SF4- with online. Choose which features you want.

Just got back from a huge tourney down here. How huge you say? There was a $1000 pot for both SSf4 and Brawl.
1st. $600
2nd. $200
3rd. $100
4th. $50
5th $25 (two people)

The tournament was sponsored by AIU (Devry and whatnot) to promote their gaming "degrees." But most of the people there go to real colleges, but whatever. Enjoyed what I got for $10 door fee (no entry fee since the pot was set).

There were about 80-something street fighters there (playing on 6 tvs), and 108 brawl players (playing on 13 tvs).

First of all, it stared 3 hours late. So we started the matches at 9. My first match was against the guy who knocked me out at the last tourney, but I managed to beat him. Then I fought some random and won, then I fought Dru, which I'm sure most of you have heard about by now (beastly Honda). But up a good fight with Sakura and Bison. Took two round from him, but lost.

I then fought a good buddy of mine who plays Deejay, and won. Fought another buddy of mine who is a beastly Gen, but switched to Cody second round; I beat him too. After that, I fought one of the best players down here who plays Rose, and managed to beat him too. But he was still salty over his loss prior, so we played 3 more matches. And I lost all 3. :lol

So after I play him, I went against another friend of mine who plays a mean Ryu. And won. After beat him, I entered top 8. One more match until I can actually win money. Turns out, I had to fight Dru again. I picked Sakura both times. Both matches were literally decided by pixels. But I screwed up one anti-air, and he landed a jump-in combo into hands into super. I almost came back in that round but he took it.

Really had a lot of fun. Didn't think I'd actually get seventh in a tourney with so many killers. But I made it through. Basically confirming that I'm the best Sakura and Bison player in the state. :D

And the Brawl players were too hype. Random yelling from them throughout the night.

And also, the hotel provide some free food around 12. The cart rolled in, and I happened to be next to it and picked up a box. When the guy on the mic announced that there was free food, the cart was bum rushed. Never seen people move so fast. :lol
Didn't get home til 2:30 am though.

Kimosabae

Banned
Kadey said:
Years. It's not even the biggest size available.

Would mind giving a brand and price? I know Plasma's on the decline (price-wise), but I can imagine that tech costing a lot of chips to produce/manufacture at that size.

eissan

God's Beard said:
Ranked battle is a good way to gauge how tired you are.

My experience goes something like this:

win
win
win
win - I'm feeling good today!
win
win
lose
win
win
lose - hmm...
win
win
win
lose - ok, that's three strikes, I should hang it u... hmm I'm pretty close to 2K PP, I'll keep going for a little
win
win
win
lose
win
win
lose - man 5 already?
win
lose
lose
win
lose
win
win
lose
lose
lose
lose
lose - down to 1500 FUCK THIS GAME XBOX OFF

hahahahahahaha that is sooo true!!!

Man, for 41k you could get one of these:

0nwGI.jpg

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
hitsugi said:
nice, only $41k. totally reasonable for a TV.
I really don't understand why people need such humongous TVs when front projection is a much cheaper alternative for big screen gaming...

GriffD17

I woke up today and finally realized I'm actually playing in Season's Beatings. Oy Vey. I haven't played in so long. This will be embarrassing. :lol :lol

ExMachina said:
I really don't understand why people need such humongous TVs when front projection is a much cheaper alternative for big screen gaming...

On quality alone plasmas blow front projectors out the water.

Playing an anti-fireball character like Dudley really lets you appreciate the differences between the shotos.

from easiest to hardest:

1. Gouken - So free 6/4
  2. Akuma - no health, and everything's punishable 5.5/4.5
  3. Ryu - bread and buttah 5/5
  4. Sagat - like ryu with more health and crazy karas 5/5
  5. Sakura - fucked up combos 5/5
  6. Ken - godddamn kicks 4.5/5.5
  7. Dan - Tiger Knee is too godlike, crouch taunt in nightmares, harder matchup than Dhalsim 2.5/7.5

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Lost Fragment said:
Wildcat vs Daigo

Good match.

HEY THAT ISN'T DAIGO PLAYING IT'S HIS FRIEND LOL

So good that it makes me want to pick Hakan up again - incredible.

Been a fan of his ever since I saw him do that duck into 720 Ultra as an anti-air.

There really were different combos than Daigo usually shows in tournaments though, like the bnb jump-in, cMK, tatsu - but for the rest of those crazy combos it probably was him.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
GriffD17 said:
I woke up today and finally realized I'm actually playing in Season's Beatings. Oy Vey. I haven't played in so long. This will be embarrassing. :lol :lol

You should hope that you'll get paired up with me in 1st round. I haven't even played Super SF4 yet :lol

V_Arnold

Won my first SSF tournament ever, yeaah.

Team matches, never lost a set, on the finals, I sent my teammate first so he can play some also (Blanka), he won against a Ryu, then got stomped by a furiously godlike Guile. Came in to save the day with Viper, was HARD and damn, landing a midscreen ex seismo -> bk-> ultra IS satisfying.

Video upcoming sometimes in the next few days, will link.
And the best thing is that I did not even practice for this, was too busy playing SCII :D

V_Arnold said:
Won my first SSF tournament ever, yeaah.

Team matches, never lost a set, on the finals, I sent my teammate first so he can play some also (Blanka), he won against a Ryu, then got stomped by a furiously godlike Guile. Came in to save the day with Viper, was HARD and damn, landing a midscreen ex seismo -> bk-> ultra IS satisfying.

Video upcoming sometimes in the next few days, will link.
And the best thing is that I did not even practice for this, was too busy playing SCII :D
You play Viper, I like you. Awaiting videos. gs winning the tournament.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
God's Beard said:
[*]Dan - Tiger Knee is too godlike, crouch taunt in nightmares, harder matchup than Dhalsim 2.5/7.5
[/LIST]

You must have been playing some god dans because I murder them all the time, on the other side even scrub dhalsims give me a headache...

DarkoMaledictus said:
You must have been playing some god dans because I murder them all the time, on the other side even scrub dhalsims give me a headache...
I'm half joking, but according to my player data Dan is really my worst matchup. I've been having a lot easier of a time fighting Dhalsims and Guiles, and a harder time fighting Zangiefs and Seths lately. I've noticed that Blanka players have been getting accustomed to the matchup as well.

GriffD17

SnowWolf said:
You should hope that you'll get paired up with me in 1st round. I haven't even played Super SF4 yet :lol

Now that'd be nice. Could be the most interesting match in all of SB. Are you bringing the lady in the avatar with you?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
haunts said:

:p

Unlocking the character costumes and taunts is boring work. Letting the AI win rounds agaisnt you instead of just having AI vs AI fights in versus to unlock these. So boring. :/

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
GriffD17 said:
Now that'd be nice. Could be the most interesting match in all of SB. Are you bringing the lady in the avatar with you?

Yep!

2.jpg

However, this is a 360 stick and I can't use it in the tourney. I might bring it to get autographs

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
FindMyFarms said:
On quality alone plasmas blow front projectors out the water.
In a properly light-controlled space, you can very easily get PQ comparable to a plasma's out of a front projector. You don't get that "glowy" look of a flatscreen, but a good projector can have awesome black levels and will be plenty bright enough once you turn down the lights.

I just feel like spending money on a flatscreen larger than 60" simply isn't cost effective. Sure, go for up to a 60" plasma for daily viewing in a living room (though that's already really damn big... not many people will have a living room with a viewing distance of at least 8 feet), but if you want something larger (in the 100"+ range)... then you can get comparable PQ for a far more reasonable cost with front projection.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
ExMachina said:
In a properly light-controlled space, you can very easily get PQ comparable to a plasma's out of a front projector. You don't get that "glowy" look of a flatscreen, but a good projector can have awesome black levels and will be plenty bright enough once you turn down the lights.

I just feel like spending money on a flatscreen larger than 60" simply isn't cost effective. Sure, go for up to a 60" plasma for daily viewing in a living room (though that's already really damn big... not many people will have a living room with a viewing distance of at least 8 feet), but if you want something larger (in the 100"+ range)... then you can get comparable PQ for a far more reasonable cost with front projection.

You're preaching to the choir when it comes to HD gaming or technology in general.

I'm not going to get into specifics but anybody who frequents the thread or even site should know by now that I am not your average consumer, very far from. And I have two new tvs. :D
FUUUUUUUUUCK.

It's a Panny too!

The biggest, 150" is 60-75k which is a steal from it's retail release of over 120k.
It has 4 times the res of 1080p. Some smart thing where the image changes itself to accommodate the people watching it from certain distances. Uses 50% less power than previous gen, etc. It's not a consumer model, but industrial.

Yeah baby, you. *wink*

Er, wait.

That was really corny. A for effort though. :lol

Blueblur1

AkumaHokoru said:
Its not just capcom who gets dlc wrong. Everyone has walked on the side of error and people keep buying it as long as the dlc is brought the practice is justified. for every one of us that realizes something is wrong there are 50 people who dont care and buy it anyway

Lets break down the math on this shall we?

SF4 60 bucks.
SF4 costumes: 320MSP(4 dollars) for 5 packs each(20) 1200(15 dollars) for all 5 at once (giving us either 75 or 80 invested so far)
SSF4 40 bucks 115-120
SSF4 Costumes 320MSP for 7 packs each(28) if you brought them seperately. 1440(18 dollars) 133-148 spent so far
(Another 2 sets are coming. + the new cast are still 1 costume short compared to the rest of the cast so thats another pack added to 2 full release sets)
So its either 15 x 4 (60) or 18x2+4 (40)= $173-$208 capcom will make per player on people who buy all the costumes.

Dont you think thats a little much and with how far they space them out (first costume in october full set 6 months later) people will be tempted to buy them sooner rather than wait half a year to get them all saving 10 bucks. Disgusting. I personally brought the first costume set for Vanilla... I have not brought a single costume pack since and Its highly likely I wont (no matter how awesome juri's new costume is) because this kind of DLC is designed to milk my pockets and I'm sorry but my pockets are drier than the sahara. I honestly feel it costs less to unlock all this shit with a card in the arcade (afterall every 25 wins was a costume on vanilla arcade if not less) than it does for the home versions
Agreed 100%. I'm glad I only bought one pack for SFIV and not a single one afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom