• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

Blueblur1 said:
Agreed 100%. I'm glad I only bought one pack for SFIV and not a single one afterward.
I haven't purchased any packs. I WANT to, but I'm not sure I'm going to. I think the only one I might buy is the new Makoto pack, and that's only because I need some points to push me over the $30 dollar limit to get the 10 back. The packs are horifically overpriced.

gutabo

God's Beard said:
Ranked battle is a good way to gauge how tired you are.

My experience goes something like this:

win, earn 1 PP/BP
win, earn 1 PP/BP
win, earn 5 PP/BP
win, earn 10 PP/BP - I'm feeling good today!
win, earn 1 PP/BP
win, earn 1 PP/BP
lose, lose 128 PP/BP
win, earn 1 PP/BP
win, earn 1 PP/BP
lose, lose 128 PP/BP - hmm...
win, earn 1 PP/BP
win, earn 1 PP/BP
win, earn 10 PP/BP
lose, lose 128 PP/BP - ok, that's three strikes, I should hang it u... hmm I'm pretty close to 5K PP, I'll keep going for a little
win, earn 1 PP/BP
win, earn 5 PP/BP
win, earn 1 PP/BP
lose, lose 128 PP/BP
win, earn 1 PP/BP
win, earn 1 PP/BP
lose, lose 128 PP/BP - man 5 already?
win, earn 1 PP/BP
lose, lose 128 PP/BP
lose, lose 64 PP/BP
win, earn 1 PP/BP
lose, lose 32 PP/BP
win, earn 1 PP/BP
win, earn 5 PP/BP
lose, lose 128 PP/BP
lose, lose 128 PP/BP
lose, lose 128 PP/BP
lose, lose 128 PP/BP
lose - down to 4k FUCK THIS GAME XBOX OFF
Fixed for great justice. Also never play on ranked if you just had a huge fight with the waifu. Finally, I miss championship mode!

jlai

Was playing some games with Graham Wolfe and he settled in with T. Hawk. At first I thought he was trying to troll me because I'm pretty sure he was just starting to play with him but damn he was getting good quick!

He then sent me a message afterwards saying "you inspired me to give thawk a shot, i think he has alot of surprise factor if someone isnt familiar with him since no one plays him" :lol

aktham

Ok i'm a pretty decent Seth player, but some characters give me trouble.

Ryu: mainly his damn jumping HK which stuffs everything and trades at best. It's safe with both ultras. Crouching MP also keeps me in check. Any tips?

Rog: i have no cure for this guy every normal beats mine. 2 headbutt combos = ggpo

Blanka and Honda are very similar to Rog. Normals are too good and knockdown pretty much means game over.

on the other I rarely lose to guile, juri, ken, goken, akuma.

chriskun

gutabo said:
Not trying to bring Cen down, but that sagat(yes I know it was sanford) played the matchup badly. I mean, low tigers? It's not vanilla! Runaway sagat pwnz honda.

Completely agree, just cause Sanford had two bad matches doesnt make Honda broken. He played that shit horribly, which is very typical for Sanford, guy completely chokes once he loses a round. Runaway any character owns Honda still

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
GGs to PSN GAF tonight...Cloudius your Gen is so damn awesome. I wish there wasn't such awful input lag when I play you. :/ GGs to Rocwell in particular...we played quite a bit!

Dartastic said:
I haven't purchased any packs. I WANT to, but I'm not sure I'm going to. I think the only one I might buy is the new Makoto pack, and that's only because I need some points to push me over the $30 dollar limit to get the 10 back. The packs are horifically overpriced.

They are, but I have purchased them all anyway. The main reason being that I play (S)SF4 so much and would like to see any kind of variety in the characters I can get. :lol

I wish Capcom would just release the new costumes in one pack instead of breaking it up over months like they have scheduled it. Better yet, hold off on releasing them and put them ALL available with an Arcade Edition DLC pack.

Cloudius12 said:
I wanna say that no way that is Daigo.
3:20 Daigo mashing DP with 3 punches?!!?
Still though was a sick combo 3rd round.

It's Daigo.

Daigo loses just like everyone else, except he wins most of the time. It's not that big of a deal.

ArjanN

aktham said:
Ok i'm a pretty decent Seth player, but some characters give me trouble.

Ryu: mainly his damn jumping HK which stuffs everything and trades at best. It's safe with both ultras. Crouching MP also keeps me in check. Any tips?

Rog: i have no cure for this guy every normal beats mine. 2 headbutt combos = ggpo

Blanka and Honda are very similar to Rog. Normals are too good and knockdown pretty much means game over.

on the other I rarely lose to guile, juri, ken, goken, akuma.

Knockdown means game over, how so? You're playing Seth, you can get out of any wakeup shenanigans with teleport.

In general: be more careful.

For Ryu: stop jumping at him. Most Ryus are just waiting for that the entire match so they can SRK you into ultra or super. Make him come to you. Counter his fireball with ultra.

Rog: keep your distance, he can't hit you with normals if you're out of his reach. He also can't deal with crossups that well. Thirdly: throw LP sonic booms, if he jumps over them, tries to FA absorb them or goes for turn around punch: free ultra for you. (SRK if you don't have ultra)
Also: command throw, if you're pretty sure he's not going to headbutt.

Blanka: don't jump in at him. Ever. Blanka's moves are all very unsafe, just block and punish. And you can just jab him out of his horizontal ball.
Honda: only jump in at him if it's a crossup or quick dive kick.

Blanka and Honda are only really hard if you don't know the matchup or there is a lot of lag.

hitsugi

KS Seven X said:
It's Daigo.

Daigo loses just like everyone else, except he wins most of the time. It's not that big of a deal.

yeah, it is Daigo.. people need to stop expecting him to be playing his very best every time he decides to hop on live for a few (hundred) games D: and I say hundred because that's the only way he can amass those points

hitsugi said:
yeah, it is Daigo.. people need to stop expecting him to be playing his very best every time he decides to hop on live for a few (hundred) games D: and I say hundred because that's the only way he can amass those points

his Cammy isn't that great either....yet he already amassed like 7000 bps with her, wtf! He must play A LOT!!!

Relix said:
WTF I am mixing up my threads these days too much :lol
relix got IRL mixups?

So SF-GAF, can anyone tell me the generally accepted top-tier characters for this game?
A friend asked me and I kind of felt dumb for no knowing

Threi

notag
guile, rog, chun, abel, akuma

if you're generous dictator, rufus, and honda as well.

Guile IMO is just outside of top, he was HEAVILY underrated in Vanilla.

Marvelous

Hey guys, I just got a PS3 and Super Street Fighter IV and I was wondering what would be considered a good internet speed for online play. Thanks.

Threi said:

I would add Cammy in there too.

I played a lot of SSFIV last night, so I feel that my interest in the game is coming back. But I have a long way to go to get back into decent fighting shape.

Threi said:

Even then I'm not so sure because imo there are only a few nailed on top tiers everyone would agree on but then you have lot's of 'so nearly there' characters. It just show's what a good job they did I suppose.

aktham

ArjanN said:
Knockdown means game over, how so? You're playing Seth, you can get out of any wakeup shenanigans with teleport.

In general: be more careful.

For Ryu: stop jumping at him. Most Ryus are just waiting for that the entire match so they can SRK you into ultra or super. Make him come to you. Counter his fireball with ultra.

Rog: keep your distance, he can't hit you with normals if you're out of his reach. He also can't deal with crossups that well. Thirdly: throw LP sonic booms, if he jumps over them, tries to FA absorb them or goes for turn around punch: free ultra for you. (SRK if you don't have ultra)
Also: command throw, if you're pretty sure he's not going to headbutt.

Blanka: don't jump in at him. Ever. Blanka's moves are all very unsafe, just block and punish. And you can just jab him out of his horizontal ball.
Honda: only jump in at him if it's a crossup or quick dive kick.

Blanka and Honda are only really hard if you don't know the matchup or there is a lot of lag.

Well Ryu's got his option select, teleport = eat super or a tatsmaki. I generally play a keep away Seth, but I can't keep those guys away especially in lag.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
God's Beard said:
Ranked battle is a good way to gauge how tired you are.

lose
win
win
lose
lose
lose
lose
win - down to 1000 FUCK THIS GAME XBOX OFF

that's exactly how my weekend in ranked went. Every L went 3 rounds and all I lost because I mistimed my ultra...after it happened 6 times, I quit. I thought the game was trolling me when I was going through my ultra set up and the other person got dizzy AFTER I hit 3P :|

I'm not that scrubby so I blame lag ;D

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Marvelous said:
That helps. :p
But really, what's good when it comes to online play? I'm new to it all.

broadband should be good enough- the important thing is ping not dl speed.

Generally green bar matches are fine for US standards. Yellow is tolerable.

This varies from game to game. tekken I don't trust 3 bar period, SF I would.

Marvelous

arstal said:
broadband should be good enough- the important thing is ping not dl speed.

Generally green bar matches are fine for US standards. Yellow is tolerable.

This varies from game to game. tekken I don't trust 3 bar period, SF I would.

Thanks. So... would a ping of 30-40 ms be good or bad? I can't test anything out yet...

gutabo said:
Fixed for great justice. Also never play on ranked if you just had a huge fight with the waifu. Finally, I miss championship mode!
Do you really only earn like 1 pp per win? Is your game set to play stronger opponents?

LakeEarth

God's Beard said:
Do you really only earn like 1 pp per win? Is your game set to play stronger opponents?
There aren't as many people playing anymore. I played for 3 hours last night and I only saw 1 person over 4000 points.

LakeEarth

God's Beard said:
That's gotta be rough for the guys with like 8k pp. Stupid Halo Reach and Dead Rising.
Its especially rough when they face me, cause my score is artificially deflated due to picking random all the time. I always want to apologize when I see the -103 on the screen.

LakeEarth said:
Its especially rough when they face me, cause my score is artificially deflated due to picking random all the time. I always want to apologize when I see the -103 on the screen.

That's why it's important not to make an assumptions about the other player based on BP/PP :lol

Play your opponent, not their numbers

I told a guy that you could spend your BP to increase your character stats, and he's all like "fuck I didn't know about that shit, no wonder I keep losing".

the_log_ride said:
That's why it's important not to make an assumptions about the other player based on BP/PP :lol

Play your opponent, not their numbers

I've made the mistake of doing that a few times.

I picked a fight with a Dudley that had 50PP/100 BP. I though I was going to mop the floor with him...I was wrong and his was beastly. He even taunted with the rose taunt a number of times. :(

I try not to look at the chacter matchup screen where it displays the BP/PP so I won't even have it in the back of my head. Must not judge a book by its cover.

vissione

Banned
Marvelous said:
Thanks. So... would a ping of 30-40 ms be good or bad? I can't test anything out yet...

It all depends on how close you are to your opponent not how fast your internet speed is. I range between 4 bars, 3 bars, and 2 bars with GAFfers on PSN and it feels different but its always fun.

MIMIC

Banned
lose, lose 128 PP/BP
lose, lose 128 PP/BP
lose, lose 128 PP/BP
lose, lose 128 PP/BP
lose - down to 4k FUCK THIS GAME XBOX OFF

That's why when I hit 5K, I stopped ranked battles. It was already annoying enough =p

SePhoBroth said:
Hey that's me. I'm anything but good, I'm only decent. ggs

You know the Fuerte match-up better than most so you're pretty good in my book. :) I rarely get beat by people who know the match-up; 95% of my losses come from people who are ATM better with their character than I am with mine.

Man, 3rd mike broke :-(

In other news, I'm thinking about using Vega as a secondary. Mine's really bad right now, like 16-3 with Dudley, 0-6 with Vega bad, but he's my favorite charge character. My Fei Long's never going to get much better than it already is, and I don't really like using Ken or Sakura that much, so I needed a new secondary.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
stabicron7 said:
Cause your not thinking about it so much and just reacting? Know that's usually how it goes for me.

I usually don't think period. :lol

I'll play tonight if anybody wants. Have stuff to do first.

KS Seven X said:
It's Daigo.

I just never thought Daigo would be using the 3 punch and 3 kick punch macro in his combos. Let alone the 3 punch macro for ex shoryuken.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I don't know if you guys remember DarksydePhil, but he got laid off last week and has decided his new full-time job will be making youtube videos. Besides gaming playthroughs, he plans to make daily lifestyle videos and has launched a series of cooking tutorials and fast food reviews. It's an interesting experiment and I'm no fan of his, but gotta admire the hustle :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILw2zt9nmvA

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do to get some bread and water, son. There's nothing wrong with that. I for one will vote, comment and participate by clicking on ads. It's the least I can do for the countless (300+) hours of entertainment I've got from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom