• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kadey said:
Only in training mode can you do stuff like this.

Movie_0001.gif
I'm partial to the EX DP FADC infinite loop

Kadey said:
If there was one thing Capcom let us choose to take out, I would definitely choose shortcuts with easy reversals being second.

What's wrong with easy reversals? If someone makes a conscious decision to perform something, shouldn't they get to do it?

Lost Fragment said:
Saty is free to my Dan.

In all fairness, I think Dan is honestly a bad matchup for Dhalsim, Gale kicks are very hard for him to deal with.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
FindMyFarms said:
What's wrong with easy reversals? If someone makes a conscious decision to perform something, shouldn't they get to do it?

In all fairness, I think Dan is honestly a bad matchup for Dhalsim, Gale kicks are very hard for him to deal with.

Farms it might be fine offline, but with the strictness of links and internet lag reversals can mean game over for someone trying to do block strings. Not everyone bothers with tourneys, 99% of people fight online and it makes you think twice about doing blockstrings against 3 frame reversal chars...

DarkoMaledictus said:
Farms it might be fine offline, but with the strictness of links and internet lag reversals can mean game over for someone trying to do block strings. Not everyone bothers with tourneys, 99% of people fight online and it makes you think twice about doing blockstrings against 3 frame reversal chars...

Yes, that's why you fix the netcode, not the mechanics that are perfectly sound

FindMyFarms said:

I have more of a problem with auto block myself than the reversal window or the shortcuts. They don't even have to hold back to block once the string starts and its really the only reason they can mash srk in block strings.

DarkoMaledictus said:
Still, so much work for so little damage. Makes me think of dudley's fadc combos...

Yeah, but Dudley's FADCs have real uses.

Jet Upper FADC cRH is a good combo off a safe reversal
Ducking Upper FADC Ducking Straight pushes people all the way across the stage.

stabicron7 said:
I have more of a problem with auto block myself than the reversal window or the shortcuts. They don't even have to hold back to block once the string starts and its really the only reason they can mash srk in block strings.

Lots of games have the continued block feature, it's been around forever. As the attacker though, you determine the gap, and thus where/when can mash that srk out if you think that's what they're going for.

cHaotix8

God's Beard said:

The only one worth doing is EX Jet Upper FADC and EX SSB in the corner to full ultra. The rest are pretty useless and a waste of meter.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
FindMyFarms said:
Yes, that's why you fix the netcode, not the mechanics that are perfectly sound

You know as well as I do Capcom will not change the netcode, and even at that 2 bars will still be frequent. Online can never be expected to be like local games...

In any case, I like some other people don't enjoy the randomness and easiness to apply reversals. But that's a matter of opinion and can be discussed all day. Different strokes for different folks...

DarkoMaledictus said:
You know as well as I do Capcom will not change the netcode, and even at that 2 bars will still be frequent. Online can never be expected to be like local games...

Ok? So if the game sucks when two people are playing with their eyes closed should capcom balance for that too? Bad online play due to netcode still doesn't make an argument for changing the base mechanics, as the standard (i.e. offline play) is what those mechanics are designed for.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
God's Beard said:

Yeah, was talking about the juggling ones that add insignificant amount of damage. Ending a combo with ultra makes me cry sometimes... just stopped doing it.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
FindMyFarms said:
Ok? So if the game sucks when two people are playing with their eyes closed should capcom balance for that too? Bad online play due to netcode still doesn't make an argument for changing the base mechanics, as the standard (i.e. offline play) is what those mechanics are designed for.

Again, we will just agree to disagree :).

AZ Greg

DarkoMaledictus said:
Again, we will just agree to disagree :).

So you think Capcom should design the engine taking netplay and its limitations into account? Remember, this was an arcade game first.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
FindMyFarms said:

That doesn't apply here. I shouldn't be force to play a certain way if I wanted to win. Should I bore myself trying to actually win by baiting and punishing with fundamentals or should I go all out and just have fun trying to be stylish? Most of the time, I'll do the latter.

Using some of my latest matches as an example. The ones where I won, I was patience and relied on simple setups and one or two piece punishes. The ones where I lost, I was going for and doing combos and fadc stuff left and right but at certain times I'd easily get mashed out of something. Online scrubs tend to think they are better than they actually are because of easy reversals. Granted this doesn't really apply to to the better players but the amount of mediocre players far outnumber the good so you run into the former way more often.

DR2K

Banned
Can those E.Honda nerfs be patched in now? Jesus.

Kadey said:
Using some of my latest matches as an example. The ones where I won, I was patience and relied on simple setups and one or two piece punishes. The ones where I lost, I was going for and doing combos and fadc stuff left and right but at certain times I'd easily get mashed out of something. Online scrubs tend to think they are better than they actually are because of easy reversals. Granted this doesn't really apply to to the better players but the amount of mediocre players far outnumber the good so you run into the former way more often.

Don't attempt things you can't constantly link.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
DR2K said:
Don't attempt things you can't constantly link.

If you do not practice it on actual opponents dealing with all the variables of an actual match, you are never going to get better at doing it.

ElFly said:
The standard now is online playing, as it is easily the most used mode.
In that case I hope you like VF5 and BlazBlue, cuz this game and tekken and many others won't be much fun to you thanks to lag

Threi

notag
oh yeah about that...

i wasn't playing in my char on my monitor like usual, i was slouched over the couch :lol

you caught me when i was recording the gifs. Thats why i left, to switch back to my "play serious" setup :p

Kadey said:
That doesn't apply here. I shouldn't be force to play a certain way if I wanted to win. Should I bore myself trying to actually win by baiting and punishing with fundamentals or should I go all out and just have fun trying to be stylish? Most of the time, I'll do the latter.

Why not? That's how it is in every activity, there's a better way to win than others. In street fighter it's reading your opponent and making the appropriate counters. Fancy is a vague term, but to put it into something concrete, in every situation in street fighter, there are options available to each player, and if you want the game to reward the decision making process, then you have to allow the players to perform the options they chose.

ElFly said:
The standard now is online playing, as it is easily the most used mode.

Except in online play there's no standard latency, which is why you design the game for online play. Every game is made that way, not a single game in the market (any platform, any genre) designs their game based off lag since it changes in every game.

Threi said:
oh yeah about that...

i wasn't playing in my char on my monitor like usual, i was slouched over the couch :lol

you caught me when i was recording the gifs. Thats why i left, to switch back to my "play serious" setup :p

Ironically, after you beat me the first time, I reverted to my MASH EX JET UPPER frustration mode. And I stopped using cMP to punish things for whatever reason. I get salty so fast, and Salty Beard is Scrub Beard.

ElFly

_dementia said:
In that case I hope you like VF5 and BlazBlue, cuz this game and tekken and many others won't be much fun to you thanks to lag

I have a ps3 and vf5.

Do the math!

Whatever, I was talking about SSF4. The game is pretty playable as long as there aren't any hiccups in lag.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
FindMyFarms said:
Why not? That's how it is in every activity, there's a better way to win than others. In street fighter it's reading your opponent and making the appropriate counters. Fancy is a vague term, but to put it into something concrete, in every situation in street fighter, there are options available to each player, and if you want the game to reward the decision making process, then you have to allow the players to perform the options they chose.

Except in online play there's no standard latency, which is why you design the game for online play. Every game is made that way, not a single game in the market (any platform, any genre) designs their game based off lag since it changes in every game.

I do think SF4 had online in mind with some of the changes they made- I think that's a large reason why the reversal windows are so generous.

Personally, I actually prefer online play- due to my workhours plus a lot of the FGC doesn't really appeal to me.

hitsugi

FindMyFarms said:
Why not? That's how it is in every activity, there's a better way to win than others. In street fighter it's reading your opponent and making the appropriate counters.

Still waiting for you to accept FT5 bday match :p

Regarding reversals, I forget that my real gripe is that things that combo aren't safe on blocking opponents... so it SEEMS like reversals are easier but it's an entirely different thing. Online play just seems to magnify things, but that's online play.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OH MY GOD I HAD NO IDEA GUILE COULD DO THAT :lol :lol

hitsugi

FindMyFarms said:
Haha what's this bday match you speak of?

a couple of pages ago you were having FT5's with the log ride (or it was threi and I'm absolutely crazy) and I said let's do an FT5 cause tomorrow's my bday :D

There is something oddly therapeutic about going into training with some music on and just doing combo's over and over.

Just spent like 2 hours in training mode. Now my Blanka's ultra is throughly ambiguous and my links are perfect. Feeling pretty good about trolling PSN right now.

Morris

Disco Devil
Apparently i'm gonna be in the next Gooteck's PSN Ranked match adventures video, I just put Mike Ross' Ken on blast :lol

gutabo

DR2K said:
Can those E.Honda nerfs be patched in now? Jesus.

Threi said:
comboing honda
Hey, what's with the honda hate? :( Runaway/projectile zonning kill him... if you know the matchup it's not even funny. Infinite sadness indeed.

Oh and by the way the only change honda had in the locktest was the ultra 2 motion. Nothing more, nothing else.

hitsugi said:
a couple of pages ago you were having FT5's with the log ride (or it was threi and I'm absolutely crazy) and I said let's do an FT5 cause tomorrow's my bday :D

Oh shit my bad, musta missed it! We'll run it whenever, happy bday!

What's ur psn?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Mashing reversals between blockstrings is largely an online tactic because if they do that in an offline match, you can hear them mashing. In America at least, since people who are playing usually sit next to each other. Not so sure how it is in Japan, since they usually sit head-to-head.

So anyway, absolute guard isn't the reason you can mash stuff between blockstrings pretty easy. Absolute guard has been around forever. The problem is the lenient reversal window combined with the lenient input system. If those things were the same as they were in ST then it wouldn't be as easy to dp someone between a string.

N4Us

Hitokage said:
I can understand getting EX tomahawk instead, but EX typhoon?

Maybe I do it too quick sometimes. But I swear that there's some kind of hidden shortcut motion for the grab that involves circulating backwards. I've never gotten it by accident when I do EX-tomahawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom