• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoshichan said:
Hmm weird. And the arcade edition back then looked as good as Vanilla SFIV right now?
Better, as the arcade version's temple stage had cooler lighting and the drive-in stage had a car with a destructible front end on the left side of the screen.

The only thing that looked worse were the character portraits.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
_dementia said:
Better, as the temple stage had cooler lighting and the drive-in stage has a car with a destructable frong end on the left side of the screen.
Fuuuuck! Can I somehow find this footage somewhere on the Internet? Youtube is filled with too much crap lately.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
3S will sell pretty well I think. I think there are a lot of people out there (including myself) who missed the bus the first time around, but are interested because of SF4.

When the first flavor of SF3 came out, my local arcade was already in a steep decline and didn't even get the game. And my arcade had a ton of fighting games.

But yeah, 3S online doesn't have to outsell HDR to make Capcom money since they're not spending as much money on developing 3S online as they did on HDR.

"Hmm weird. And the arcade edition back then looked as good as Vanilla SFIV right now?"

It's the exact same game (bar the console characters). Looks exactly the same. Actually, IIRC some of the stuff in a few backgrounds (the US Drive-in stage in particular) got snipped in the console version.

No one was paying attention to SF4 or fighting games outside of the fighting game fans at the time, though.

"Fuuuuck! Can I somehow find this footage somewhere on the Internet? Youtube is filled with too much crap lately."

Just find any SF4 arcade video.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lost Fragment said:
3S will sell pretty well I think. I think there are a lot of people out there (including myself) who missed the bus the first time around, but are interested because of SF4.
When I play 3s, I keep doing fadc if I'm not sure my srk will hit or not :/ Gonna take me and my buddies a while getting used to it.

MrMephistoX

SmokeMaxX said:
Nah, they'll probably do forced update of balance changes then introduce Yun/Yang as DLC to play AS but not against.

This would be the most logical way to go about it: new stages, if any, would probably have to follow the same model. Even though I would buy it if I had no other choice a disc release at this point would be ridiculous and could only result in splitting the userbase and massive diminishing returns.

Didn't Vanilla outsell Super by a wide margin?

Yoshichan said:
When I play 3s, I keep doing fadc if I'm not sure my srk will hit or not :/ Gonna take me and my buddies a while getting used to it.
if you can't shake FADC, just play animu games instead
it comes from GG's roman cancels, right?

_dementia said:
Better, as the arcade version's temple stage had cooler lighting and the drive-in stage had a car with a destructible front end on the left side of the screen.

The only thing that looked worse were the character portraits.

Is this pre release or post? And does the PC edition have these effects? I never noticed.

Edit: video with the old portraits and the temple plus OG Abel uniform:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAVaIpPpeOg

I remember playing SF4 when SFSU got an arcade machine, thinking "What the fuck is this shit? Everything's so slow and blocky! Tatsumakis look fucked up as hell, I payed a dollar to play this crap?"

And then I put a quarter in the 3s machine.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Lost Fragment said:

When the first flavor of SF3 came out, my local arcade was already in a steep decline and didn't even get the game. And my arcade had a ton of fighting games.

But yeah, 3S online doesn't have to outsell HDR to make Capcom money since they're not spending as much money on developing 3S online as they did on HDR.

HDR went massively overbudget due to squabbles between Sirlin and Backbone, as well as Udon shitting the bed. 3s needs a rebalance to get my attention though, otherwise I'll pass.

HDR did sell well, and has good tourney legs (outside of local area). If only Sirlin could have come up with a good idea for rebalancing Honda.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
God's Beard said:
I remember playing SF4 when SFSU got an arcade machine, thinking "What the fuck is this shit? Everything's so slow and blocky! Tatsumakis look fucked up as hell, I payed a dollar to play this crap?"

And then I put a quarter in the 3s machine.

I was at my local game center on July 22nd, 2008 when the game was officially released in arcades. I had just returned from a trip to Hawaii and didn't have to go to work that day, so I headed to the arcade in the morning. Nobody was there and only a few more showed up later. I watched the people set up the cabs, bought a card and registered it with Chun-Li, and tried the game out for the first time. Wasn't feeling Chun much back then, tried Viper and Abel, went with Gief, and found myself very "ehhhh" on the whole experience. It was not yet knowing the game system and all four of the new characters not doing much for me that did it. The game struck me as another version of SSF2T, just with the SSF2 new challengers replaced with four others.

Later on I got more into the game, but dropped it in November that year when SSF2T HD Remix hit. It was not all that popular in my area, either. People were way more into Tekken, GG, and Melty Blood. I remember also being more impressed with BlazBlue Calamity Trigger the first time I tried it.

I never really got big into SF4 until the home version was released; the added characters were much appreciated, and once things finally clicked with me, I went back to Chun-Li and have been loving the hell out of the game ever since.

The only "problem" with HDR is it wasn't an international hit, since they never released it in Japan (and it took forever to release in Europe).

And I remember the original concept artwork for HDR. It looked great. Too bad it didn't quite end up that way.

If only Capcom of Japan had handled it instead. But this would be the start of where we are now with Capcom Japan (Bionic Commando, Dimps, DmC, Dead Rising...coming soon to Resident Evil).

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Spiderjericho said:
The only "problem" with HDR is it wasn't an international hit, since they never released it in Japan (and it took forever to release in Europe).

And I remember the original concept artwork for HDR. It looked great. Too bad it didn't quite end up that way.

If only Capcom of Japan had handled it instead. But this would be the start of where we are now with Capcom Japan (Bionic Commando, Dimps, DmC, Dead Rising...coming soon to Resident Evil).

If CoJ handled it you wouldn't have gotten the gameplay changes. Vanilla ST would have tanked, as the gameplay does not hold up as well as HDR's does.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Most already have this game in the thread but the price for SSF4 just got bumped down to $20 at most Targets. Hope to finally grab my copy today.

It's still not coming to STEAM right? I need a 360 version anyway but I had the original on PC.

Teknopathetic said:
"Hmm weird. And the arcade edition back then looked as good as Vanilla SFIV right now?"

It's the exact same game (bar the console characters). Looks exactly the same. Actually, IIRC some of the stuff in a few backgrounds (the US Drive-in stage in particular) got snipped in the console version.

No one was paying attention to SF4 or fighting games outside of the fighting game fans at the time, though.

"Fuuuuck! Can I somehow find this footage somewhere on the Internet? Youtube is filled with too much crap lately."

Just find any SF4 arcade video.

Not exactly the same. I remember a few comparison pictures on GAF comparing the arcade vs console versions and some of the character models like Ryu and Guile's face were tweaked to look less caveman like.

riceandbeans said:
Not exactly the same. I remember a few comparison pictures on GAF comparing the arcade vs console versions and some of the character models like Ryu and Guile's face were tweaked to look less caveman like.

Was it in the old Pre SFIV thread?

Spiderjericho said:
Does this translate to the PC edition, since it's supposed to be a port?
PC version isn't a port of the arcade code. The arcade game had 8 fewer characters and no survival or challenge modes. PC version uses the same base as the console versions.

Axis

Yoshichan said:
Those who prefer FA over parries never managed to fully parry Chun SA2.

Fact.

i've parried full chun sa2, full akuma sa1's....doesn't change the fact that IN THIS GAME(SSF4) parries would be incredibly unbalanced...take your head out of your ass and take off the sf3 goggles(i like sf3 more than sf4 but in this system they would NOT work)

arstal said:
HDR went massively overbudget due to squabbles between Sirlin and Backbone, as well as Udon shitting the bed. 3s needs a rebalance to get my attention though, otherwise I'll pass.
Spoilers, Arstal will pass.

Ono said they're using arcade version 990512

Satyamdas

Banned
Spiderjericho said:
Man, Ed Ma used to be a beast. Too bad he's not as active in the community anymore.
LOL @ "used to be". He might not be at every tourney these days, but I assure you he is no less of a beast than he was when that video was recorded.

Axis

Satyamdas said:
LOL @ "used to be". He might not be at every tourney these days, but I assure you he is no less of a beast than he was when that video was recorded.

lol after having my ass kicked by him a few weeks ago...i agree with you

Axis said:
lol after having my ass kicked by him a few weeks ago...i agree with you

I played him 4 sets and lost all of them. He was using Ryu.

Thankfully, they weren't beat downs and I did pretty good. I even got a "GG's" message from him. :D

God's Beard said:
I like the cancel aspect of FAs, and I guess the whole baiting thing is fine, but I don't like the revenge meter or the focus attacks. I understand that it's more flexible than parries, though.

I don't really want either. Just give me a Super bar with 6 EX stocks and 3 stocks to super, 6 to EX Super(ultra). 1 stock for EX, 2 stocks to cancel a move with no dashing crap.

That sounds good. I would totally play an SF like that.

Yoshichan

Axis said:
i've parried full chun sa2, full akuma sa1's....doesn't change the fact that IN THIS GAME(SSF4) parries would be incredibly unbalanced...take your head out of your ass and take off the sf3 goggles(i like sf3 more than sf4 but in this system they would NOT work)
Both mentioned sa's easy to parry.

Also, they would work in this system. Take away everything that FADC and maybe take away ultra meter and it'll work.

What is up with all this parry-talk? it wouldnt work in 4 under 4's engine. you would have to change the engine drastically for it to work and then it wouldnt be 4. so...no. next topic.

DJ_Tet

Banned
DJ_Tet said:
Most already have this game in the thread but the price for SSF4 just got bumped down to $20 at most Targets. Hope to finally grab my copy today.

It's still not coming to STEAM right? I need a 360 version anyway but I had the original on PC.

I found my copy, the price drop only was for 360 version at my Target, not PS3.

Axis

Yoshichan said:
Both mentioned sa's easy to parry.

Also, they would work in this system. Take away everything that FADC and maybe take away ultra meter and it'll work.

so you want a different game that's not ssf4? then go play something else...go play 3s...everything in that game is easy to parry...they wouldn't work in the system...THE GAME IS BUILT AROUND BEING ABLE TO ZONE AND PLAY FOOTSIES PROPERLY...you obviously can't do that so shut the fuck up about it already

i'm done now

Yoshichan

Axis said:
so you want a different game that's not ssf4? then go play something else...go play 3s...everything in that game is easy to parry...they wouldn't work in the system...THE GAME IS BUILT AROUND BEING ABLE TO ZONE AND PLAY FOOTSIES PROPERLY...you obviously can't do that so shut the fuck up about it already

i'm done now
Are you on PSN? I'll show you that I can beat the living shit out of you with both footsies, zoning AND parries when 3s is out. Dare you stand with your statement?

Axis

Yoshichan said:
Are you on PSN? I'll show you that I can beat the living shit out of you with both footsies, zoning AND parries when 3s is out. Dare you stand with your statement?

don't have a ps3...stick to emulating your idols OMG INTHUL PLAYED PAD?! I'M TOTALLY SWITCHING AND THROWING MY STICK AWAY...get the fuck outta here clown. when did i question your 3s skills again? i said if you want ssf4 to be 3s so bad...THEN PLAY FUCKING 3S and stop cluttering the thread up with stupid useless bullshit about how you want parries oh so bad cuz you can't play without em

get bent

Yoshichan

Axis said:
:lol Whatever you say homey. I didn't start this shit, defensive people did. You know, people like those who type in FULL CAPS and with cool language.

Get a stick and let me see if you play as good as you are typing :lol

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Yoshichan said:

do you have paypal? ill money match you for 100 dollars once 3s comes out if you're down.

Yoshichan

haunts said:
do you have paypal? ill money match you for 100 dollars once 3s comes out if you're down.
No chance in hell that I'll fight you haunts, wtf? I'll admit defeat right here instead, no money involved.

Axis

Yoshichan said:
:lol Whatever you say homey. I didn't start this shit, defensive people did. You know, people like those who type in FULL CAPS and with cool language.

Get a stick and let me see if you're as good playing as you are typing :lol

???? i play on 360...if you wanna play me...come see me, until then keep defending your 3s/ssf4 skills cuz i don't care :)

Yoshichan

haunts said:

how about 25 bucks then..?
25 is cool I guess... what are the rules like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom