• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNum

I'm surprised that the game is still so active online, and there's lots of newbies for a newbie like me to square up against. And I'm playing in Europe.

I'm still messing up way too often, but I guess that comes with the territory. I think too much, then mess up the execution. Ah, well, it's how it's supposed to be, I guess. My win rate is terrible, but I am winning some, and with an increasing frequency, too. I could probably have chosen another character, but I like playing as Sakura. I hope to get her to D+ soon.

I also lose spectacularly at some matchups. Like Sakura vs. Fuerte. What's the counter for Totsada Presses? I pretty much got steamrollered by one of these.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
haunts said:
oh sweet... first to 3, no character switch, 25 bux.

ps: im loving this shit talking. gaf needs waaay more of this.
All right, I'm on. I'm not forgetting this deal bro, you better remember too!

Axis

Relix said:
Axis is more pissed than I was when I submitted my results late :lol :lol :lol :lol

nah, just an obvious troll character who says dumb shit but offers no reasoning why his suggestions would work in the system

DJ_Tet

Banned
I'm reading back on this thread as I haven't kept up with SSFIV (although I enjoyed the original.)

I hope that Target clearing out their inventory isn't a sign that AE is coming out as a disc release as opposed to DLC.

Then again, I'm not sure how much more content is in the AE compared to the disc version of SSFIV. Perhaps I'll find a list in this thread, gotta check out the OP.

McNum

Lost Fragment said:
Focus.

Or block.
I should have guessed. I must have just panicked, or blocked low on reflex. Logically, those should be blocked high, I'd think. Eh, I'll get the next Fuerte. There's always more Fuertes. Adons are a pain, too. I'm growing to like Ryu matches, which I suppose is healthy when playing online. Ken, not so much. When did Gouken become so popular, anyway?

It's frustrating to lose so much, but I'm taking my lumps, just like everyone else has. I learn a lot from my losses, especially those I review in replay mode. I'd much rather lose a match where I learn something new than win an effortless win. Of course, a close win where I learn something new is preferable, but those are rare.

Ah, well, tomorrow is another day, and another fight. I do want to see my PP at 1000 at some point, but one fight at a time.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Axis said:
nah, just an obvious troll character who says dumb shit but offers no reasoning why his suggestions would work in the system
Yo scrub, if you want to keep offending me take it to pm. Your "reasoning" sucks monkey too, just so you know. "I'M USED TO SFIV NOW AND I DON'T KNOW HOW I WOULD HANDLE SOMETHING NEW IN MY GAME!"

Axis

Yoshichan said:
Yo scrub, if you want to keep offending me take it to pm.

offending you by saying you're obviously a troll character? you can say PUT PARRIES IN...then offer some constructive fucking suggestion as to WHY it would work instead of just saying it

my reasoning? BECAUSE THE GAME'S NOT BUILT FOR IT...they would have to rebuild the entire engine from the ground up just to put parries in the game in the first place...but what's the point? this game isn't 3s...why do you want parries so bad? can you not get around fireballs and basic zoning without it? step your game up, scrub

Yoshichan

Axis said:
offending you by saying you're obviously a troll character? you can say PUT PARRIES IN...then offer some constructive fucking suggestion as to WHY it would work instead of just saying it
So tell me, how do I put some of your "constructive" in my argument? I clearly stated that it should work if they take away FADC.

Now you should tell me why it wouldn't work with this change. Seriously, it's a NEW FUCKING GAME. NEW MECHANICS IN NEW GAMES. Do you usually get this angry when you read about new gameplay mechanics for other games?
Axis said:
my reasoning? BECAUSE THE GAME'S NOT BUILT FOR IT...they would have to rebuild the entire engine from the ground up just to put parries in the game in the first place...but what's the point? this game isn't 3s...why do you want parries so bad? can you not get around fireballs and basic zoning without it? step your game up, scrub
Sweet mother of God, now I know why some people got stuck with SF2 for 20 years. With this mind set, you could just play the same game for the rest of your life. It disgusts me.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Pretty much.

2w7o1ag.gif

Axis

Yoshichan said:
So tell me, how do I put some of your "constructive" in my argument? I said it should work if they take away ultra and FADC.

Now you should tell me why it wouldn't work with this change. Seriously, it's a NEW FUCKING GAME. NEW MECHANICS IN NEW GAMES. Do you usually get this angry when you read about new gameplay mechanics for other games?

HOW DOES TAKING AWAY ULTRA AND FADC RESOLVE THE ISSUE OF HAVING PARRIES PUT IN?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? why should they rebuild an entire engine from the ground up to include some easy mode anti-zoning tool? THE GAME ISN'T BUILT FOR IT. i only started playing the game since super came out...i'm not against changes...but i'm against changes that completely dictate everything i've learned about the game previously...it's not a new series...it's a new game WITHIN the series. if you want parries that bad stick to sf3...i love sf3, myself...but parries belong WITHIN that game...and out of ssf4

Yoshichan said:
Sweet mother of God, now I know why some people got stuck with SF2 for 20 years. With this mind set, you could just play the same game for the rest of your life. It disgusts me.

cuz sf2 is a good game? no one's against change, you're arguing for a CERTAIN mechanical change that just WOULDN'T FIT inside of the fucking game itself...it's like i'm arguing with a fucking child

now, really, i'm done. your remedial ass can come see me at ssf4 but until then shut the fuck up about it

Yoshichan

My eyes hurts. PM me, son.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Kadey said:
I totally think Super should have rocket launchers, air blocking, combos and dashing.

Fixed for awesome. ;) :D :lol

Would help Cody get around all these damn Fireballs. "OH YEAH!? EAT ROCKETS!"

Spiderjericho said:
Was it in the old Pre SFIV thread?

Might've been. I can't remember exactly which thread, but it was around the time the console version was either in development or just came out. It's not hard to do a comparison anyway. Just grab some direct-feed Arcade footage and you can probably spot the small differences.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
entrement said:
Was Yoshi banned because of stuff in this thread?

Oh snap. Wait... if that's the issue, why isn't the other dude banned?

Axis

Happy Phantom said:
with that argument over, I'm gonna try my luck again. any chance of a spare 48hr? =(

i had like 5 of them last week and none of them worked...i'm not sure if all 48 hour cards don't work now or not...but try asking someone in the thread where they hoarded all the 1 month cards and maybe someone will help you out. if i could i would tho. good luck

AZ Greg

A few pages ago someone asked about dealing with cross-ups as Vega. I was gonna offer some pointers earlier but forgot. ;) You've probably found some answers by now but here goes:

(In order of most effective to least effective)
- Don't allow yourself to be put in a position where you'll have to deal with a cross-up. I know, probably sounds like I'm trying to be an ass or easier said than done, but with Vega you really want to avoid the situation as much as possible. Get comfortable with Vega's AA tools despite their mediocrity in order to prevent yourself from being put in a cross-up situation (ST, air throw, st.RH, nj.RH, cr.HP, U2). Of course you're going to get knocked down and have to deal with cross-ups, so...

- Block, play solid D, and work your way out when you have the chance. Still not the magic bullet you're hoping for I'm sure, but being able to play solid D and not get anxious and do something stupid is vital when playing as Vega. Do your best to tech throws and watch their patterns in order to find your opportunity to get out of that danger zone. Again, patience is key. You're going to end up hurt really bad if you try mashing back dash or back flips. Also pay attention to whether or not your opponent tries to punish crouch techs. Act accordingly from there.

- Close Standing LK. During times when your opponent goes for a cross-up, and you aren't knocked down, but are in a position where your above mentioned AAs won't help then you can slightly walk forward to make the cross-up a little more pronounced and hit cl st.lk in order to AA it. The move is actually surprisingly good in this situation and will beat most cross-ups clean. Obviously this is risky depending on the character and/or their jumping normals. You also have to be on your toes after it hits as it resets your opponent right in front of you. Plus it doesn't do much damage so don't expect it to scare your opponent from doing them. :lol

- Ultra 2. Again, if your opponent goes for a cross-up while you aren't knocked down (Or a non-safe cross-up while you are down) you can hit him/her with Ultra 2. And if you fail to get it going the right direction then you'll at least be moved to safety. Be careful with this depending on your opponent. For example, if you whiff U2 trying to punish an Akuma cross-up Tatsu then you'll eat a Demon as it has the range and speed to chase down and catch you. :(

- Back flips and back dash. Either of these will get you punished depending on how scripted they are, especially the back flips. With back dash you obviously have to be wary of OSs and certain specials. So try and read your opponent and use it accordingly. Back flips you want to use even less. One of the biggest problems people learning Vega have is an overuse of back flip. PPP flip can generally be followed and swept and KKK flip is heavily punishable as well. And if they get you knocked down then you're right back in the same situation. These should only be used as a last resort and only when you have a reading on your opponent that will make them a tad safer. You basically want to use them so infrequently that they somewhat become useful cause your opponent isn't expecting them. :lol

Yoshichan said:
Those who prefer FA over parries never managed to fully parry Chun SA2.

Fact.

:lol :lol :lol

On another topic, anyone who thinks Super will remain the standard due to the widespread nerfs is delusional. Only two things can keep it from becoming the standard here. 1.) It doesn't see a release here. 2.) It's broken. The chorus of whining isn't because Capcom has gone off the deep end and introduced some horribly broken/convoluted/etc... mechanic, it's simply because the nerf hammer is hitting almost everyone in one way or another. A lot of minor whining just bunched up with a bunch of other minor whining. Makes it seem like there is a bigger issue at hand. Somehow I think this will end up being Vanilla: Console broken Seth/Gouken, or Super: Horrible Rose U2, etc..., all over again.

Threi

notag
TheFightingFish said:
DBJoseph tearing up GhettoGarden. 's kinda fun to see GAFfers fight it out with each other.
It's totally the troll hour right now. Don't think we've seen a serious match yet :lol

vulva

Axis said:
i had like 5 of them last week and none of them worked...i'm not sure if all 48 hour cards don't work now or not...but try asking someone in the thread where they hoarded all the 1 month cards and maybe someone will help you out. if i could i would tho. good luck
from the looks of it, no one got any 1 month cards haha =(

thanks though man, I do appreciate it.

Axis

XenoRaven said:
To be clear, I was only sick of reading one person's posts. I won't tell you which person. Here's a hint though. He got banned. I bet you'll never guess.

lol. why you been hiding out on xbl?! lets get some chun loving going!

XenoRaven

Axis said:
lol. why you been hiding out on xbl?! lets get some chun loving going!
Haha. Sorry man. Been busy. Got a lot going on at work, so when I get home I'm too tired for SF. I'll be playing for frequently now though. Things are starting to calm down a little.

Axis

HAttyboy said:
Haha, I wanna actually see a game (SSFIV) with Yoshichan and Axis, and see who's the scrub.

*shrug* i've played enough people in here that would say i'm not bad at the game. blackvegeta, dbj, greg(ok, the last 2 would call me free cuz they're assholes :p) and pretty much everyone else in here who plays on xbl

gutabo

Axis said:
*shrug* i've played enough people in here that would say i'm not bad at the game. blackvegeta, dbj, greg(ok, the last 2 would call me free cuz they're assholes :p) and pretty much everyone else in here who plays on xbl
People always forget about me :(

Marvelous

AZ Greg said:
A few pages ago someone asked about dealing with cross-ups as Vega. I was gonna offer some pointers earlier but forgot. ;) You've probably found some answers by now but here goes:

(In order of most effective to least effective)
- Don't allow yourself to be put in a position where you'll have to deal with a cross-up. I know, probably sounds like I'm trying to be an ass or easier said than done, but with Vega you really want to avoid the situation as much as possible. Get comfortable with Vega's AA tools despite their mediocrity in order to prevent yourself from being put in a cross-up situation (ST, air throw, st.RH, nj.RH, cr.HP, U2). Of course you're going to get knocked down and have to deal with cross-ups, so...

- Block, play solid D, and work your way out when you have the chance. Still not the magic bullet you're hoping for I'm sure, but being able to play solid D and not get anxious and do something stupid is vital when playing as Vega. Do your best to tech throws and watch their patterns in order to find your opportunity to get out of that danger zone. Again, patience is key. You're going to end up hurt really bad if you try mashing back dash or back flips. Also pay attention to whether or not your opponent tries to punish crouch techs. Act accordingly from there.

- Close Standing LK. During times when your opponent goes for a cross-up, and you aren't knocked down, but are in a position where your above mentioned AAs won't help then you can slightly walk forward to make the cross-up a little more pronounced and hit cl st.lk in order to AA it. The move is actually surprisingly good in this situation and will beat most cross-ups clean. Obviously this is risky depending on the character and/or their jumping normals. You also have to be on your toes after it hits as it resets your opponent right in front of you. Plus it doesn't do much damage so don't expect it to scare your opponent from doing them. :lol

- Ultra 2. Again, if your opponent goes for a cross-up while you aren't knocked down (Or a non-safe cross-up while you are down) you can hit him/her with Ultra 2. And if you fail to get it going the right direction then you'll at least be moved to safety. Be careful with this depending on your opponent. For example, if you whiff U2 trying to punish an Akuma cross-up Tatsu then you'll eat a Demon as it has the range and speed to chase down and catch you. :(

- Back flips and back dash. Either of these will get you punished depending on how scripted they are, especially the back flips. With back dash you obviously have to be wary of OSs and certain specials. So try and read your opponent and use it accordingly. Back flips you want to use even less. One of the biggest problems people learning Vega have is an overuse of back flip. PPP flip can generally be followed and swept and KKK flip is heavily punishable as well. And if they get you knocked down then you're right back in the same situation. These should only be used as a last resort and only when you have a reading on your opponent that will make them a tad safer. You basically want to use them so infrequently that they somewhat become useful cause your opponent isn't expecting them. :lol

Hey, thanks for the tips, AZ Greg. :)

I've been trying not to do back flips so much lately during any cross up attempts. They really don't work. Also, I am trying to play safer while not being too defensive...

Today I did alright against other players. One of the main things I need to do is to make sure I'm actually holding down back instead of just down. -___- I've actually lost a couple of times because of this. :lol I still need to get used to the analog stick, I guess. (I think that's what it's called.)

Btw, is there a way to disable receiving any messages? I only get insulting messages.

MIMIC

Banned
I beat an A-ranked Ryu in a ranked match today (16K BP; ranked 20th overall on Live). :D He wasn't much competition....which made me question his insanely high BP. Oh well.

I kinda got back into ranked matches after attempting to level up Honda to C. Ugh. So after some aggravating defeats, I switched to Fuerte :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom