• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

USD

Mochi put up a good fight, at least. I was expecting a massacre similar to his match with Mago.

Mago VS Uryo starts up in an hour.

USD

Rice-Eater said:
There will be a lot of close matches, but I think Mago will win by a decent amount. My guess is 10-5.
Looks like it won't even reach that. Mago... the footsies, the execution, the pressure, just too godlike. 2D god.

MIMIC

Banned
Bout to continue my quest to rank Honda up and I was in training mode just messing around. And I'm perplexed: how does Cammy's Ultra 2 stop Honda's super but not any of his REGULAR headbutts?

Makes no sense.

MIMIC

Banned
Bout to continue my quest to rank Honda up and I was in training mode just messing around. And I'm perplexed: how does Cammy's Ultra 2 stop Honda's super but not any of his REGULAR headbutts?

Makes no sense.

EDIT: Honda is C :D

Along the way, I beat some troll-ass Zangief (dunno if he was trying to intentionally troll me or was just a beginner but he did some semi-competent moves after he realized that I wasn't some n00b about to get randomed). It felt so good to put him away.

Then, I ALMOST beat a 14K BP Fei Long (SOL CiTy KinG) with Honda, lost, was pissed, found him again, switched to Fuerte and won :D

Oh yeah...I beat an OK Dhalsim with Honda :lol Reasons I will never main Honda: that match-up requires an immense amount of patience. For some reason, I actually played the waiting game (instead of rushing), struck when I saw an opportunity and eventually prevailed.

And fuck Blanka -_-

MIMIC said:

Makes no sense.

His regular headbutts break armor, his super doesn't. The same kind of weirdness applies to Deejay. All his regular Sobat's break armor but his U1 and super doesn't for some reason.

hitsugi

Mago is insane. He's really come a long ways since the earlier vids of his Fei Long

I've tried Fei Long a few times before, and I feel like I'm just spamming random pokes the whole time. I can land the HK chicken wing, s.HP, flame kick, etc. combos but I have no middle game at all so shortly after I end up getting worked :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Kadey said:
Seks. Where you at? I wanna beat some ass!

Damn it, Kadey. I went to bed at that time. :lol Let's do a round on Friday?

USD

Two more GGO#2 matches are starting in three and a half hours:

6:30 AM EDT - Uryo VS Mochi
8:30 AM EDT - Mago VS Sako

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Christ, these are some of tensest matches I've ever seen. :lol Both close range characters with high damage, you just keep waiting for someone to twitch or make a mistake during the footsies.

Lol, EX dive kick just hitting Fei Long's toe.

Aedile

I know next to nothing about either of these characters, but their play feels like it's at a higher level than anything I've seen up until now in SSF4. If anyone is reading this after the fact, watch these damn matches!

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, done - 10-7 Mago. Good matches... Mago's Fei Long is the scariest character to watch in Super, it's amazing how much he's leveled up in the past few months.

USD

Mago takes it, and is in a good position take the tourney. His match with Daigo will probably be the decisive one.

Mago's Fei is just tops. He's not afraid to just spam HK Chicken Wing, because the damage that comes off of it is massive. He goes for HK CW > st.HP link every time and rarely misses, and that one little point alone puts him above every other Fei I've seen.

Mago made Sako look free in those last 3 matches. Wonder what those dudes who declare Sako the best think now?

Daigo, Sako, and Mago are interchangeable.

Glad I woke up to catch those last 3 Mago wins.

P.S. I wonder if the Starnab fans still think he's better than Mago. Starnab is beast, but he's no Mago.

USD

KS Seven X said:
P.S. I wonder if the Starnab fans still think he's better than Mago. Starnab is beast, but he's no Mago.
I don't think many people ever thought that. Mago's execution alone is better than Starnab's. He also has superior Rekka pressure.

KS Seven X said:
Mago made Sako look free in those last 3 matches. Wonder what those dudes who declare Sako the best think now?

Daigo, Sako, and Mago are interchangeable.

Glad I woke up to catch those last 3 Mago wins.

Any given Sunday. Right now Mago and Sako seem like the favorites to win GGO2. Daigo has been in a lull lately after the qualifier with the loss to Sako and his poor performance at SB5.

And to really get a gauge of Mago/Daigo/Sako, we'll really have to wait for AE and see if they perform like they did in OG IV.

Evo Japan is going to seem a little pointless with console play.

Starnab is good but Mago seems impressive with Fei. People might have been making that statement several months ago when he first picked up Fei but his footsies and combos are probably the best with Fei. It would be nice if someone would fly Kindevu, Tokido and Mago out to the US.

USD

Spiderjericho said:
Evo Japan is going to seem a little pointless with console play.
Is it going to be console? When it was planned for this year, it naturally would have been console, but since it got delayed, I'd assume they'd be getting AE cabinets for the tourney.

USD said:
Is it going to be console? When it was planned for this year, it naturally would have been console, but since it got delayed, I'd assume they'd be getting AE cabinets for the tourney.

There hasn't been any news. But it was announced as a console tournament with double-elimination rules. And from the ads, it seems like they wanted to get a large turnout. I'm not an arcade operator but I'm sure it would cost a pretty penny to get those machines even for that limited period of time.

The Japanese play Arcade Tekken, SF, KOF, etc. Not sure what was the point of announcing a console tourney when their scene is thriving in the arcade and lacking in console (just look at console sales to fighting games).

And Mago and Sako are killers. Their characters are rush down characters who can quickly deplete your energy with one mistake. And I had a strong feeling Mago would beat Sako based on the previous match, just because of the matchup. Mago might, big MIGHT have problems with Momochi or Daigo because of the shoto matchup.

srk.com said:
http://shoryuken.com/content/ssfiv-yang-details-revealed-capcom-japan-development-blog-part-1-2141/

Yang info. Courtesy of SRK and the fine users.

arc rail said:
SRK member Arc-Rail has taken the time to translate the recent Capcom Japan Developer Blog post regarding Yang. It's a great read for anyone interested in Yang's move set and abilities. This is the first part of more translations to come next week.

-About Yang No. 1-
Greetings. This is the Developer Blog.
The release date for new costumes on home consoles has been announced. We put our all into making them, so please do enjoy these as well!
This time brings us the younger brother of the twins, Yang. I'd like to talk about his normal moves.

General Concept
As in SFIII:3S, his image is similar to Yun's. SSF4 AE's tuning continues that approach.
He fights with quick attacks at short to medium range, stopping the enemy from acting with closely spaced strings. He is a character who pressures his opponent with a combination of strikes and grabs.
The potential of his short-range moves is extraordinarily high, so "how to get close to the opponent" should be an important point.
Since his debut his physical strength has been below average, so he cannot afford to take heavy damage. Please be cautious of this.

Normal Attacks
Like Yun, Yang has the same lineup of normal moves that he did in SFIII:3S.
From among those, I think I'll bring up a few for representative purposes.

Standing Light Punch has significantly short recovery time, and a long reach compared to most light attacks.
It can be used as a poke, and leads to various combos on hit.

Close Medium Kick: like in SFIII:3S, connecting with this will put the opponent into a juggle state for follow-up damage.
Once again, it can be jump-canceled on hit or block in order to continue your offense.

Crouching Medium Kick is central to his offense, Yang's attack of choice.
Like in SFIII:3S, it is special-cancelable, comboing into Tourou Zan (mantis slashes) for example. I think you will find quite a lot of chances to make use of this.

From long range, Yang can use Far Hard Punch as a poke. It takes a little while to extend, but you can aim to land some good hits at the fingertip area.

Unique Attacks (Command Normals)
Yang has 2 Unique Attacks: Senpuukyaku (whirlwind leg) and Raigekishuu (thunderbolt kick).
The position at which these brothers can start the dive for their Raigekishuu is similar to Rufus's dive - it won't come out at extremely low altitudes, but the Light, Medium, and Hard versions will descend at varying angles. You may want to make skilled use of these dives to take the fight to close quarters.
Senpuukyaku is an off-the-ground overhead move. You can use it to evade a low attack while scoring a hit.

Target Combos
There are 3 target combos for Yang.
TC1 (Towards-jump Medium Kick -> Down-Towards + Medium Kick),
TC2 (Standing Medium Punch -> Standing Hard Punch -> Back + Hard Punch),
TC3 (Standing Light Kick -> Standing Medium Kick -> Standing Hard Kick).

TC1 is a Target Combo from Towards-jump Medium kick.
If you use the two strikes skillfully to land a hit on an opponent below you, you'll earn some considerable frame advantage.

TC2 is common to both brothers.
The final hit, activated with Back + Hard Punch, is super-cancelable.

TC3 starts with a Light Kick, so since it comes out fast, there are many opportunities to use this Target Combo.
If all the hits are blocked, Hard Kick will push the opponent back a good distance, so it can be difficult for them to land a counterattack.
TC3 once more includes Standing Medium Kick, but in this game it can be jump canceled. Please look for the possibilities that come from this.

(Tip thanks to Mr. X)

Sounds like we have a new Fei Long like character. Course there's differences but the poking, rekka is the same and command throw/flip is the same. Though he does have the dreaded dive kick, target combos and a shadow/custom combo type move.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I just got home, I didn't know about the God's Garden matches going down today, shit.

Gotta catch the archives I guess then.

Ashkeloth

I'm conflicted. As a longtime Fei Long player, Yang sounds really interesting to me...

But that hairstyle is so stupid, and inline skates are so nineties

USD

Skilotonn said:
I just got home, I didn't know about the God's Garden matches going down today, shit.

Gotta catch the archives I guess then.
There will be GG streams for the next two weeks at least, streaming early morning Saturday and Sunday (Eastern time).

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Spiderjericho said:
Yang info. Courtesy of SRK and the fine users.

Sounds like we have a new Fei Long like character. Course there's differences but the poking, rekka is the same and command throw/flip is the same. Though he does have the dreaded dive kick, target combos and a shadow/custom combo type move.
and more useful Ultras(it seems)

~Devil Trigger~ said:
and more useful Ultras(it seems)

True that. But right now, Fei is getting buffs too. He also has his deadly FADC from the flame kick. If you master chicken wing, st hard punch, flame kick, FADC (which Mago seems to be the only person who can land it consistently), he can take you down quick.

But then again, I neglected to mention Yang's teleport.

God's Beard said:
Well, his pokes won't be nearly as good as Fei's, he's got no reversal and low health. He does have a lot of weird options, though.

I was just playing TS just to see their differences. Obviously, we don't know what the transition to the IV engine is going to do. Chun-li plays different between Alpha, TS, ST and IV (though her core game play is the same).

Yang can combo into his rekka from low forward. Up close he can do rekka pokes but he also has the benefit of his target combos. His forward kick, low roundhouse and a few others are decent pokes but Fei has close standing fierce, low fierce, low strong in addition to jab, low forward and roundhouse.

Yang can also do dive kicks. He has the flip-kick throw. He can use the teleport as an escape (obviously, it's not invincible and if the opponent is expecting it, they can punish).

His super may or may not lead to huge damage (if people can figure out a way to get strings from it).

His ultras are decent. The big thing is if he'll have way to combo into them.

Spiderjericho said:
I was just playing TS just to see their differences. Obviously, we don't know what the transition to the IV engine is going to do. Chun-li plays different between Alpha, TS, ST and IV (though her core game play is the same).

Sure, but you can tell just by watching the animations and such that Yang's rekkas are much much shorter than Fei's. Fei can poke you from half screen with rekkas, but they're harder to combo than Yang's. Of course, if Fei does wind up getting a special-cancelable low forward like Seth mentioned, Yang will be even more outclassed in the poke department.

As a Yang player in 3s, Yang's mixups and options are better, so he doesn't necessarily need the same tools Fei has. They're going to have very different play styles. It's like Ryu vs Sakura.

prodystopian said:
Is the Mago-Sako recording up?

Yes. There should be a link to the god's garden stream on the last page. It's like a 60+ minute set. Pretty intensive as just a simple mistake leads to huge damage.

And I agree God's Beard. I was just pointing out there similarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom