• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
LakeEarth said:
To be fair, both you and USD were talking about Fei Long, but my brain was still stuck on Q. Maybe it was just me.

yeah, I meant Fei....which is funny if USD was on the same.different page too :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
BotoxAgent said:
because even though he's high-tier, he's not exactly easy-to-use either

This is why chars should be simple to use as much as practical. You gain character diversity, without really losing anything important except to a tiny, irrelevant minority.

Fei Long would be used a lot more if he had HDR commands- he's used a lot more on HDR despite being much weaker in HDR then SSF4, and taking the larger roster into account.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
From vryu on srk:

I'll play wong, marn, ortiz, mago and (normally) godsgarden winner and/or daigo in february in a tournament in switzerland :).

Because its in my country, i will play A LOT against japanese :)

I am looking forward to this.

I want more 3s characters, I'm so tired of using Dudley. I'll probably stop using him in AE unless they fix his SSB, that was my favorite move. He wasn't even one of my mains in 3s. He was like character 6(even though he was my second best character).

Q
Twelve
Ryu
Remy
Yang
Dudley

Even Yang wasn't that high on my list ;_; Please Q, I want you back.

That said, I've been updating my Dudley guide here and there, check it out.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Edgeward said:
As said before in this thread, PSN is usually alive on late nights PST time sometime after 9. I know it's inconvenient for EuroGaf and east coast, but those are the hours I and others can pretty much only make now that summer is over. And it's the only hours I ever can make with work, but I and Behest do make the effort to play every night and troll around in the chat.

Oh, I know. It's just annoying getting on in the evening US time and seeing no one around. *shrug*

The Hermit

Lost Fragment said:
I am looking forward to this.

2dv8voj.gif

TheSeks

God's Beard said:
Last night on XBL we had a top tier endless battle with 8 people :lol

Er-I meant Eastern. Not US. :/ Eastern US time. :/

The chat generally isn't dead on the weekends, but I'm playing Bad Company on Friday and Saturday. :/

Infinite Justice said:
didn't know Mago used Fei know since the last time i kept up he was using Sagat IIRC.

Would be cool to see Q
Yeah he must have seen Sagat's nerfs for Super and haunts'd the fuck out of there.

AZ Greg

arstal said:
This is why chars should be simple to use as much as practical. You gain character diversity, without really losing anything important except to a tiny, irrelevant minority.

Fei Long would be used a lot more if he had HDR commands- he's used a lot more on HDR despite being much weaker in HDR then SSF4, and taking the larger roster into account.

Dude, we get it, you share the same viewpoint as Sirlin and don't want execution to play much of a role, if any, in this genre. But you two act like the current state of fighting games, in terms of execution, is only the way it is because developers are trying to add depth to their games via 1 frame links, pianoing, etc... Or that developers are simply trying to appeal to a "tiny, irrelevant minority." The latter is obviously stupid from a business perspective, and other than the two of you, I don't see many other people whining for easier execution. But I don't visit Sirlin's forums and I'm sure the other 6 people who share that viewpoint post there. It should be clear by now that fighting game developers (Not just Capcom) feel that execution is as integral to the genre as footsies, match-ups, mix-ups, mind games, etc... If that isn't appealing to you then go play Chess or something.

Axis

arstal said:

oh god, really? up your execution or shut the fuck up...fei long isn't used because hey, people LIKE to use other characters. why should the barrier for execution be lowered just so someone could be a more viable character for a very small amount of people who "can't play him"? you want one button chicken wings? 93 frame links for him? go play HDR and stop complaining about ssf4 every possible chance you get, so sirlinesque of you.

fei long's not a hard character to use...reverse dp? not hard...db to uf? not hard...what makes fei long such a "technical character"? his links are easy outside of chicken wing->s.fp links...soooooo i don't see the issue here. but hey, you also said to give hondas hands only 3 punch inputs so you can see where this is going already...

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
haha japan putting me on blast super hard. in the thread they even link to neogaf! so yeah, they do read here

but yeah if you can read japanese -
http://yuzuru.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/gamefight/1287538724/

of course, theyre all pretty cowardly and just say things when i dont know who the hell is posting them. LOL.

I found one particular post there to be hilarious - someone put up a chart of people (that we can talk shit to and people they cannot.) KSK is in the list of people they acnnot talk shit to.

in the list of people to talk shit about, sako, myself, kokujin, and tsukimiya kiryuu (the japanese guy player) is on that list. LOL!

anyway, whata bunch of anonymous cowards. This happened to be when I was in Japan too - theyd post about me in the arcade and what not.

Oh yeah and one more thing I wanted to clear up was thatI played Daigo for $50 not $1000 I didnt havethe bankroll at the time. I only bet what I can afford to lose.

Satyamdas

Banned
arstal said:
With the popularity of these supposedly impenetrable execution barrier games, and the fact that calling for the controls to be dumbed down is not very prevalent at all, I'd say that you are the one who is a part of a "tiny, irrelevant minority."

Satyamdas

Banned
nycfurby said:
haha japan putting me on blast super hard. in the thread they even link to neogaf! so yeah, they do read here

of course, theyre all pretty cowardly and just say things when i dont know who the hell is posting them. LOL.

I found one particular post there to be hilarious - someone put up a chart of people (that we can talk shit to and people they cannot.) KSK is in the list of people they acnnot talk shit to.

in the list of people to talk shit about, sako, myself, kokujin, and tsukimiya kiryuu (the japanese guy player) is on that list. LOL!

anyway, whata bunch of anonymous cowards. This happened to be when I was in Japan too - theyd post about me in the arcade and what not.

Oh yeah and one more thing I wanted to clear up was thatI played Daigo for $50 not $1000 I didnt havethe bankroll at the time. I only bet what I can afford to lose.
Holy shit.... I already knew the japanese stream monsters could talk just as much shit as anyone, and I'm ridin with Art til the wheels fall off, but GODDAMN I have to say their image macro skills are off the charts!! Post #872 is my favorite by far.

Edgeward

nycfurby said:

What?! Those fucks cannot talk smack about Sako. Fuck dat noise. Thou shall not speak ill of del gdlk. Oh and you too, Art. :D

I wonder what they have against those people?

Can't wait to see Chris Hu give Starnab dat boot with Cody, I missed it live so it's much appreciated guys.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Sabin shit foreigner guy jealous obsession 変Ero Gemabi consciousness from Harare soon plum! こいつEVOからゲマビに負けっぱなしじゃねーか! EVO is not about whether this guy leave the beaten Gemabi! それでもダイコダイコか! I still Daikodaiko! マジキモい! If Majikimo! ストーカーサビン野郎! Sutokasabin bastard!

:lol

nycfurby said:

It looks like Eventhubs/Shoryuken/4chan mashup. Yea, I doubted that $1,000 number. If you lost 1K, I'm pretty sure the next time we heard from you is the next Southwest Airlines Wanna Get Away commercial. Are you going to SCR and get that rematch?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Kadey said:
Sabin shit foreigner guy jealous obsession 変Ero Gemabi consciousness from Harare soon plum! こいつEVOからゲマビに負けっぱなしじゃねーか! EVO is not about whether this guy leave the beaten Gemabi! それでもダイコダイコか! I still Daikodaiko! マジキモい! If Majikimo! ストーカーサビン野郎! Sutokasabin bastard!

goddamn that just seriously made my brain hurt.

TheSeks

Kadey said:

Oh, 2ch and Google Translate.

nycfurby said:

why would they talk smack about Tsukimiya....guy players already have it BAD!! T_T

nycfurby

lol yeah. I think the Japanese are using Google translate to read my posts because osme of it comes out lost in translation.

Anyway, I got some of the comments posted on my facebook wall in english and my friend is translating the others

"Arturo is 27? So he's a working man?"

"No, he's the son of a rich family. That's how he was able to stay in Japan. He's basically a prince."

‎"Bullshit he's 27. He looks at least 35. He looks like he's the manager of a brothel"

"Justin's one of those people who got into college but didn't graduate? Looks like it's easy to get in, but hard finish" <- where are they getting this info from lol.

"Again Sabin shows he can't speak English, he thinks using the term "rice eater" is supposed to offend us lolll" <- the guy doesn't realize you were replying to a post by RiceEater.

"Is Sabin that guy who looks like Saibaba? Who gives a fuck about him lol" <- http://alturl.com/cmrr3 This is Saibaba lolllll

They going crazy just from your post about Momochi saying "God's Garden doesn't do him justice." They think you (and even Momochi) are insulting GG and saying it's not a real tournament and Sako is not a good player lolll.

"Does Sabin hate all of Japan or just Daigo?"
"Sabin is the real life Rufus"

"What's even worse than the way Sabin got the shit beaten outta him by the players at TRF, was the way he was staring and drooling over Japanese women."

They are saying your quote about Daigo "I'm sorry but he is a bitch." is going to be as big in Japan as "Let's go Justin!" Some people are calling Daigo "Bitchehara".

Soooo many funny posts I want to read, but gotta sleep. I think you're more famous in Japan than you are in US.

"What's even worse than the way Sabin got the shit beaten outta him by the players at TRF, was the way he was staring and drooling over Japanese women"

"Sabin looks like Kramer from Seinfeld."

"TeamSpooky- if you wanna keep your relationship with Gama-san, it'd be best if you watched your mouths."

"THIS SETTLES IT! TEAMSPOOKY IS SHIT!"
"Sp00ky is the cynical leader..."
"We must change Sabin's name to Sabitch."
"Sabin is a strain on the world."
"I WILL NEVER FORGIVE THAT PIG, SABIN!"

Wow, so they think Im shitting on gamanoaburas godsgarden too? hahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahha wow im not even doing that. I asked Momochi about netplay in Japan, and he said that there is still delay bu tit doesnt bother them too much. Then I commented abou thow netplay doesnt show Momochis true skill cause in Godsgarden he was dropping a LOT of links and stuff. This is not a knock torwards Godsgarden which is a great event. It:s a knock torwards Capcoms shitty netcode, but of course its lost in Google translate, which doesnt really mean anything lol

nycfurby said:

If anything, I thought KSK would be someone to talk shit about. Maybe that's a hint to who's at the root of it.

Also, when I visited SRK today I realized that Terry Kineda is a filipino champ dickrider. I don't remember your sim getting the same attention when you beat Daigo last year in a money match.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Satyamdas said:
With the popularity of these supposedly impenetrable execution barrier games, and the fact that calling for the controls to be dumbed down is not very prevalent at all, I'd say that you are the one who is a part of a "tiny, irrelevant minority."

Soul Calibur is quite popular, and that's an easy execution game. It's not just because of boobs and Star Wars. SamSho was a quite popular series until SNK killed it with horrible games. (SamSho 1 and 2 were quite popular, SamSho 3 was one of the worst fighters ever and killed the series) Tekken's execution component is quite reasonable, and that's the arcade's favorite fighter.

HDR would have bombed without Sirlin simplifying things. The only 2d fighter to outsell HDR this Gen has been the SF4 series. So saying the impenetrable barrier games are popular is a misnomer. What's popular is Street Fighter, the Brand. (note: I'm not saying that SSF4 is bad, it isn't- but that the game largely sold itself, like any famous franchise tends to do)

Even the Arcsys folks realize that there's only so far you can go before enough people just walk and you lose money. (Blazblue is a high-execution game, but Arcsys intentionally made it simpler then before- to attract more players. It's done at least as well as Guilty Gear.) Sega also simplified its system heavily from VF5 to VF5FS.

I don't hate all execution. I just think it's poor game design to make something harder then it has to be, without a logical reason behind it. In SF4's case, there isn't a logical reason. It's a combination of trying to preserve nostalgia and artificially add difficulty (if Ono's/Seth Killian's words are to believed on this)

There are people who believe otherwise, that's always going to be case. People like different playstyles in other genres.

Last Edit: Bruce Lee clones are much more popular in other games (see Law especially) then Fei Long in SF. If he was easier to use, he'd be a lot more used.

TheSeks

BotoxAgent said:
why would they talk smack about Tsukimiya....guy players already have it BAD!! T_T

It's 2ch, just like 4chan they talk shit because they hide under anonymous.

nycfurby

DryEyeRelief said:
If anything, I thought KSK would be someone to talk shit about. Maybe that's a hint to who's at the root of it.

Also, when I visited SRK today I realized that Terry Kineda is a filipino champ dickrider. I don't remember your sim getting the same attention when you beat Daigo last year in a money match.

lol yep. srk has heavy wc bias and always has been lke that. its all good though, i guess they needed something to put up after that press release by blgaming lolol.

to be fair though. f. champ is extremely good and the tourney results dont do him justice. his sim knows matchups i dont (rufus/viper.) the same is true in inverse (i know bison and shoto matchups better than him.)

USD

Kadey said:
Sabin shit foreigner guy jealous obsession &#22793;Ero Gemabi consciousness from Harare soon plum! &#12371;&#12356;&#12388;EVO&#12363;&#12425;&#12466;&#12510;&#12499;&#12395;&#36000;&#12369;&#12387;&#12401;&#12394;&#12375;&#12376;&#12419;&#12397;&#12540;&#12363;! EVO is not about whether this guy leave the beaten Gemabi! &#12381;&#12428;&#12391;&#12418;&#12480;&#12452;&#12467;&#12480;&#12452;&#12467;&#12363;! I still Daikodaiko! &#12510;&#12472;&#12461;&#12514;&#12356;! If Majikimo! &#12473;&#12488;&#12540;&#12459;&#12540;&#12469;&#12499;&#12531;&#37326;&#37070;! Sutokasabin bastard!

It translates to something to the effect of (my Japanese is still ass):

"Sabin the jealous obsession shit foreigner guy* should shift his focus from Umehara to Gamerbee! He's been losing to Gamerbee since Evo! Yet he's still whining "Daigo, Daigo!" Seriously disgusting! Sabin you stalking motherfucker!"

*I left this part because it's awesome. :lol

USD said:
It translates to something to the effect of (my Japanese is still ass):

"Sabin the jealous obsession shit foreigner guy* should shift his focus from Umehara to Gamerbee! He's been losing to Gamerbee since Evo! Yet he's still whining "Daigo, Daigo!" Seriously disgusting! Sabin you stalking motherfucker!"

*I left this part because it's awesome. :lol

Wow :lol

Satyamdas

Banned
arstal said:
Fighter's History
What I'm saying is that the #1 selling fighting game this gen, and by far the largest in terms of turnouts for tourneys and stream viewers, is by your definition "needlessly complex" in terms of controls. I think it is safe to say that the huge numbers of casual and "pro" players can be seen as an acceptance of the level of execution needed to play the game by the vast majority.

Therefore, those who decry the controls for being too complex and offputting, would by definition be a "tiny, irrelevant, minority" compared to those who are fine with things as they are. I'm saying that you are giving your opinion more weight in the fighting game community than the facts back up. Most of us are getting along just fine with the controls as they are. If anything, I want them to be stricter, because the larger input window and lax input system only magnifies my sloppiness in execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom