• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

Gyrian said:
11uyhqq.jpg

So, what’s this?
Over the past week, endless battles haven a backseat at PSN GAF.
We’ve been having a blast with SSFIV’s tournament mode, which provides a flow that better accommodates more than 4 players.

With more people than we could fit in a session, some of us started to wonder if we could gather up at a pre-set time, run something slightly bigger, and hell, maybe even come up with a little prize to have a tangible reward.

Format
Let’s try something small and simple first, see how it flows.
It will be a 16 player tourney, run as two standard SSFIV tournament modes where the winners of each will face off for a final game.
The player distribution in these pools will likely be randomized (ha, who are we kidding, I'll be fighting floyd in my qualifiers).

Rules
Again, nothing too complex. GAF SSFIV norms apply as usual.
No trolling, please. Staying with one character through the tourney would be best, I feel, but I’m open to your thoughts on this.
Show up late, and you will likely be disqualified. Another GAFer may take your place if we have the numbers. Get up for a bathroom break during your turn, and your round(s) will be forfeited in the form of your opponent destroying you for free.

Fights will be 3 round, 99 sec.
We may want to switch to 5 round since we blast through tourneys pretty quickly, and it will give players a chance to better react to their opponents.

What's at stake?
We’ve got a few ideas for the Grand Prize.
gibration has kindly offered to purchase a $20 PSN card for it.
I’ve got a couple of little things to add as well; I will post an update once it’s settled.

Second prize is salt. Lots of it.

Where and when?
This coming Sunday, the 18th, at 7PM CST.
The usual suspects already hang out at the chat, but for anyone else that isn’t there yet and would like to, let us know and we’ll throw an invite your way.

Help Wanted
One thing that I can’t provide myself which would be great to have is footage of the matches.
If anyone would like to volunteer their capture card and process / post them, it would be fantastic.
I’ll worry about saving the replay theater files of the tourney as it plays out.

Signing Up
Easy, post here, or let me know via PM / PSN PM.

Depending on the response this generates, I’ll either be playing or simply hosting.
Everyone on GAF chat when I was in last night gets a reservation by default, just let me know if that can make it.

Final roster will be posted here once we have it.

Please do not sign up for this unless you’re sure confident you will make the time to be there.
Claiming a spot just to get first dibs is unfair to other players who would otherwise turn up, but not without having a seat.

Hopefully, we can turn this into a bi-monthly (or weekly even?) event. :]

Your feedback on any of this is more than welcome, help me make this the best that we can while keeping it simple, quick, and fun.

Massive thank yous to gibration, floyd, panda, saini, seph, edge, PSN GAF, and everyone else that’s given ideas, support, and consistently great online fights.
I <3 you, and you continue to make this game insanely fun to play.

micrometaru.gif

sounds awesome Gyrian :D

Kimosabae

Banned
Has anyone been having a problem with lag on Live the past few days? I can't do the simplest of links anymore - everything feels different.

GAF YJDK, seriously you don't, scumbag and juice play a lot together (they're in the same city/state). He didn't blow up because his taunting (though it didn't help scumbag was drunk), he does that shit at every event (including sometimes casuals), we're used to that shit. It's more of a behind the scenes type of drama, hence his alt nickname snitchbox.

jam86 said:
GAF YJDK, seriously you don't, scumbag and juice play a lot together (they're in the same city/state). He didn't blow up because his taunting (though it didn't help scumbag was drunk), he does that shit at every event (including sometimes casuals), we're used to that shit. It's more of a behind the scenes type of drama, hence his alt nickname snitchbox.

Don't worry, I've read the "drama" in the AZ thread. The outburst that scum had just makes him look like the fool in that situation is all...

Imm0rt4l

jam86 said:
care to enlighten us? Yea I heard they're both from AZ, so I was kinda surprised that he'd blow up since they've undboutedly played before.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Gyrian said:
11uyhqq.jpg

So, what’s this?
Over the past week, endless battles haven a backseat at PSN GAF.
We’ve been having a blast with SSFIV’s tournament mode, which provides a flow that better accommodates more than 4 players.

With more people than we could fit in a session, some of us started to wonder if we could gather up at a pre-set time, run something slightly bigger, and hell, maybe even come up with a little prize to have a tangible reward.

Format
Let’s try something small and simple first, see how it flows.
It will be a 16 player tourney, run as two standard SSFIV tournament modes where the winners of each will face off for a final game.
The player distribution in these pools will likely be randomized (ha, who are we kidding, I'll be fighting floyd in my qualifiers).

Rules
Again, nothing too complex. GAF SSFIV norms apply as usual.
No trolling, please. Staying with one character through the tourney would be best, I feel, but I’m open to your thoughts on this.
Show up late, and you will likely be disqualified. Another GAFer may take your place if we have the numbers. Get up for a bathroom break during your turn, and your round(s) will be forfeited in the form of your opponent destroying you for free.

Fights will be 3 round, 99 sec.
We may want to switch to 5 round since we blast through tourneys pretty quickly, and it will give players a chance to better react to their opponents.

What's at stake?
We’ve got a few ideas for the Grand Prize.
gibration has kindly offered to purchase a $20 PSN card for it.
I’ve got a couple of little things to add as well; I will post an update once it’s settled.

Second prize is salt. Lots of it.

Where and when?
This coming Sunday, the 18th, at 7PM CST.
The usual suspects already hang out at the chat, but for anyone else that isn’t there yet and would like to, let us know and we’ll throw an invite your way.

Help Wanted
One thing that I can’t provide myself which would be great to have is footage of the matches.
If anyone would like to volunteer their capture card and process / post them, it would be fantastic.
I’ll worry about saving the replay theater files of the tourney as it plays out.

Signing Up
Easy, post here, or let me know via PM / PSN PM.

Depending on the response this generates, I’ll either be playing or simply hosting.
Everyone on GAF chat when I was in last night gets a reservation by default, just let me know if that can make it.

Final roster will be posted here once we have it.

Please do not sign up for this unless you’re sure confident you will make the time to be there.
Claiming a spot just to get first dibs is unfair to other players who would otherwise turn up, but not without having a seat.

Hopefully, we can turn this into a bi-monthly (or weekly even?) event. :]

Your feedback on any of this is more than welcome, help me make this the best that we can while keeping it simple, quick, and fun.

Massive thank yous to gibration, floyd, panda, saini, seph, edge, PSN GAF, and everyone else that’s given ideas, support, and consistently great online fights.
I <3 you, and you continue to make this game insanely fun to play.

micrometaru.gif

sounds hot

Anime Juri is broken. capcom nerfed juri based off the anime.

her standing mk stopped a missile. she took chun out of action for the whole anime with a standing hk put guile down with a standing mk and beat cammy with a standing mp also fse made her much much faster.

Gyrian

LosDaddie said:
Any love for XBL soon?
:(

If there's anything that I can do to help it, I'm open.

Not a lot that I can do to run it, however, since I don't even have the game on 360.
In a perfect world, there would be inter-console play for this. There's so many people here on the 360-only side that I'd love to play. :s

micrometaru.gif

Rocwell

Gyrian said:
; ; Dang I really want to sign up for this but my 60gig is out of commission until further notice. Shout outs to the late night PSN crew, I never thought I'd be sad to be back on a normal sleep cycle :lol

Leunam

bigmit3737 said:
Who won SBO last year? And top 3?

Did Justin or any top Americans go?

Justin and Marn got waxed off in the first round.

Gosho and Kyabetsu won SBO after beating Shiro and Iyo :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I've got a fever and the only cure is a filled euro-gaf-lobby of guys hosing me down with cold man-splooge...

....you can join as well kadey

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Leunam said:
I'm reading that thread backwards, but what the fuck happened?

I only skimmed it, but from what I can discern: Juice ratted someone out to someone for something that they did, but nobody will say what Juice ratted that person out for or who he ratted them out to.

But really, all that should matter to most people about the situation is that there was more to scumbag's behavior at Evo than what was easy to assume.

AkumaHokoru said:
and yet here we are 3 years later the fat retard still taunts people mid match and loses.

and even that money match against daigo at salty suite....after he taunted, he stopped winning and Daigo completely stomped on him, lol. He should know by now that his taunt button is cursed.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
99% of the people who watch Scumbag's tantrum won't care about this Hideo Kojima cryptic behind the scenes drama. Poor form to show Juicebox up on such a large stage, and it just reflects badly on him.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Good luck to all that participate in the tourney this weekend!
I would join you but ill be backpacking the mountains this weekend:D

<3 JuiceBox. He is having fun playing a game. I think he just imitates ultras for fun, not to grief.

Edit: Guess I read the SRK thread wrong. The drama feels like what I read about when the NFL is on it's offseason. Post-EVO hangover maybe?

I've been spending a lot of time working on my Dudley. Since I bought the game to play as him, I figured I should get over my disappointment and make him work. He's not my best character, but I'm making him my main anyway. If anybody else is in the same situation as me, hopefully this helps, and if not, feel free to contribute!

Dudley For Dummies

Overview:
Dudley is a very high risk, high reward rush down character that plays somewhat like a mix between Zangief and Abel. You can't be afraid to take hits to get in, and all his money is made in the eye of the storm. His combos are generally easy to execute, but his stubby arms make the setup extremely difficult. It only takes 2 or 3 combos to take down any character, so your opponent will spend most of the match keeping you out.

Notable Normals:

c.LP: One of Dudley's best pokes, it combos easily into itself and RH. Good pressure with light Machine Gun Blow.
c.LK: Dudley's best low, c.LKxxMK is a great hit confirm that leads into Jet Uppercut and light Machine Gun Low. It also links into c.LP to connect it to RH.
c.FP: a solid, damaging anti air that links into RH on grounded opponents.
c.MK: Dudley's sweep, punishes a lot of moves and sets up some good pressure.
c.RH: Dudley's scoop, sets up tons of free combos into super and ultra 2. Can be comboed into itself 3 times, but has huge startup and recovery. Solid backdash punish.
j.FP: beats certain anti-airs when spaced correctly, does a lot of damage.
j.MK: The people's elbow, and Dudley's best Air to Air, also works as a shield against certain attacks.
j.RH: raises Dudley's hitbox to help avoid fireballs, does solid stun damage.
f+FP: Dudley's longest range normal, combos into super, tight link into Ultra 2.
f+MK: great combo starter that links into RH, option selects into scoop and both ultras.
f+RH: Dudley's overhead and one of the fastest in the game. Combos into RH and Super.
MK: Dudley's best anti air, does very little damage but is very safe.
RH: Dudley's most important normal, quick, solid damage and combos out of everything and into EX Machine Gun Blow for huge damage opportunities. Most of the game is spend trying to land this normal.

Specials:

Jet Uppercut: Not a magic shoryuken, but the light version recovers deceptively fast and combos into medium machine gun blow and fierce jet uppercut(character specific).
Machine Gun Blow: Dudley's best special. Punishes a wide variety of moves that can't be punished by other characters. Light version is safe on block, EX version gets a free juggle opportunity.
Cross Counter: A decent anti-air and the EX version combos into Ultra 2 in the corner, but can be armor-broken.
Ducking Upper/Straight: A perfect anti-fireball move with a variety of ranges. Can be used to whiff meter or cross under opponents to escape pressure. Combos into super and ultra 2 on juggle.
Back Swing Blow: A very unsafe throw bait, light version combos into super, EX version can be focus cancelled into full Ultra 2 in the corner.
Thunderbolt: An inexplicable charge move with limited utility. Can be used in clutch situations as Dudley's only crossup, or focus canceled out of to escape pressure. Very unsafe.

Bread and Butter Combos:

Dudley is basically a can opener. Once he gets a hit confirm, bye bye 450 health. He can combo his Super and Ultra 2 off of pretty much anything from normals to anti-airs, so I'll just list the good ones.

f+MK xx MK xx FP xx Super: Very easy hit confirm into super.
cLK xx MK xx Light Jet Uppercut, Super/Ultra 2: very easy hit confirm off of a low.
f+MK, RH xx EX MGB, Ducking Straight, Light MGB/Ultra 2: Easy hit confirm off of option select.
cLP, cLP, RH xx EX MGB, Ducking Straight, Light MGB/Ultra 2: Medium difficulty hit confirm.
f+RH, RH xx EX MGB, Ducking Straight, Light MGB/Ultra 2: Medium difficulty hit confirm off of an overhead
jFP, cFP, RH xx EX MGB, cRHx2/Ducking Straight, Ultra 2: Hard links and should only be used during prime opportunities, but does nearly 600 damage and well over 700 stun.
Fierce BSB FADC Ultra 2: A simple focus cancel for big damage.
EX Cross Counter, Ultra 2: Corner only.

Keeping up the pressure:

Dudley is all about making your opponent guess in a high pressure situation. Overheads and lows both lead into the same, high-damage combos, throws can be baited and punished with BSB into Ultra or Super and backdashes and teleports can be option selected into sweeps or ultras.

I like to loop c.LP xx Light MGB to train the opponent to block, then use the overhead or c.MK depending on whether they're standing or crouching.

Match-ups:

Shotos

Specifics:

• U1 Punishes crazy flying spincopters and fireballs
  • Ducking beats fireballs

Strategy:

• Try to stay within half screen and just outside their normal range and play patient, punishing fireballs with ducking straight and poking with f+FP
  • bait Ultras and SRKs with whiffed ducks, punish

Overall:
5-5

Dhalsim:

Specifics:
  • j.MK beats/trades with all of Dhalsim's far anti-airs
  • j.FP beats b.MP and b.RH when spaced correctly
  • light MGB punishes Yoga Flame and naked close teleports
  • EX machinegun blow punishes backwards jumps and poorly spaced Yoga Snipers
  • c.LP xx L MGB is a good pressure system because of Dhalsim's lack of fast moves and reversals, avoid when dhalsim has super
  • cMK can punish Dhalsim's Fierce on reaction if it gets spammed a lot

Strategy:
  • Jumping over fireballs into AA setups using the above jumping normals as a shield is a good strategy for gaining space.
  • Throw out occasional focus attacks to confuse the dhalsim's normal timing
  • Be very wary of EX upflame
  • Don't be afraid to give up health in exchange for positioning, it only takes 2 big Dudley combos to eliminate Dhalsim, whereas Dhalsim has to remain consistent to beat Dudley
  • Thunderbolt can be used in clutch situations
  • f+MK is a great option select for teleports, sweep is very safe but U1 whiffs on auto-corrects

Overall:
3.5-6.5

Blanka:

Specifics:

• U1 and EX MGB beat all blanka balls
  • Cross Counter beats Blanka's U1
  • Ducking avoids crossups

Strategy:

• Just outlame the Blankas and time out if you have to, they don't have any good options.

Overall:
7-3

Guile, Deejay, Chun-li, Seth, Zangief

Specifics:

• Their shit beats your shit

Strategy:

• You're basically fucked.

Overall:

2.5-7.5

Juri:

Specifics:

• U1 punishes non-light Pinwheels
  • Dive kicks are a son-of-a-bitch and beat cross counter.

Strategy:

• Try to keep her on the ground and punish fireballs, her air shit pisses me off
  • Option selects don't work on juri that well because of her unique counter

Overall:
5-5

Others:
The rest of the matchups are pretty basic, just stick with your normal gameplan. Use ducking to avoid honda's buttsplashes, U1 beats Cody's tornado, etc.

sonicmj1

_dementia said:
What did Juicebox do?

According to this post...
JaeronMerc said:
What happened happened. I don't hate Juicebox, I still talk to him. I disagree with what he did, and I know he can never recover in the minds of most people. And that's something he's gonna have to live and learn from.

And as for what he did, you heard it here first.

He took a guess and made an assumption, and tried to send an innocent man to prison. (There's no prison involved, it's just a metaphor.) Too bad he can't guess right in r/l like he does in game I suppose.

There's no reason to share it with anyone who doesn't already know. Just know that from the outside it looks like Luey is a complete douchebag. (He is, but not because of this.) The truth be told, he just picked the wrong place and time to explode. (Blame it on the ah-ah-ah-ah-ah al-co-hol..)

I'm so confused.

Lost Fragment said:
I only skimmed it, but from what I can discern: Juice ratted someone out to someone for something that they did, but nobody will say what Juice ratted that person out for or who he ratted them out to.

But really, all that should matter to most people about the situation is that there was more to scumbag's behavior at Evo than what was easy to assume.

Something about ratting someone out for scoring an early build copy of SSF4. Whether that person got that disc illegally, I don't know.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
God's Beard said:

hey thats awesome, I always wanted to pick dudley but refrained since I heard he is an executionheavy character :(

One day....one day...

54-46!

Man.. I'm so fucking terrible with sticks, guess that's my fault for playing with a keyboard over GGPO for three years :lol

Corky said:
hey thats awesome, I always wanted to pick dudley but refrained since I heard he is an executionheavy character :(

One day....one day...

He's not as execution heavy as, say, Viper or even some of the more tight shenanigans you can do with Ibuki and her SJC moves, IMO. He's not an easy character to just pick up and play, but he doesn't have a huge execution gap to do anything meaningful like Viper or playing Guilty Gear.

And no, I do not consider Ibuki difficult on execution, just one or two isolated instances.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Just drop the Juicebox snitch discussion.

It doesn't need more discussion on the net. And no, I'm not telling anyone about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom