• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitzkozan

Rice-Eater said:
And that's why I don't think it'll hit that number let alone surpassing SSF4. SF is a tournament friendly game for many reasons. MvC3 IMO is more hardcore and because of that I think it will produce less tournament players. The people buying MvC3 will either not b interested in going to tournaments or be intimidated by how chaotic the game gets(all my opinion of course). If MvC3 is able to draw a lot of SSF4 players as well as bringing in new players then I think it can be bring in more players then SSF4.

But anyways, that's why I don't see MvC3 reaching the same success in the tournament scene that SF4/SSF4 has. But of course I can easily be wrong, so we'll just see when the time comes.

Depend on if they allow someone to play easy mode versus someone else who use normal.

Also depend on the quality of the online play and stuff like that since it's strictly a console release (having lobbies once again like super).Decent internet allow most people to level up by themselves,learn matchup,etc.

I definitively see a potential to surpass SSFIV since the game should easily sell 2-3 million copies (on par or better than vanilla IV).Just like with IV,SRK will yet again gain new members and they will come to know the pros and be motivated to enter tournaments.

Sixfortyfive said:
Wut? Easy as fuck magic series chain combos that make even the simplest shit look badass has a lot more casual appeal than the stuff you get out of mainline Street Fighter imo.

i can't wait for the mvc3 vs ssf4 internet debatesflame wars. :lol

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Playing Makoto makes me really appreciate Viper's backdash.

Edit: Evo Online? That's pretty cool...but I have concerns. How are they going to make sure that results are reported accurately? How can they make sure that someone isn't using a lag switch or something?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Lost Fragment said:
Edit: Evo Online? That's pretty cool...but I have concerns. How are they going to make sure that results are reported accurately? How can they make sure that someone isn't using a lag switch or something?
I participated in their promotional $1 tourney they had tonight just to check it out. Verifying match results seems easy enough. They keep track of gamertags and a moderator can just check the replay channel if there's a dispute.

Latency and connection quality is another issue entirely. I'm right with you there.

Skilotonn said:
Come on Kuma, first you hatin' on Blanka, now it's Honda? Leave my characters alone man!

Oh, and for those like myself on the 360 who were patiently waiting on the costume pack to be fixed on Live, it works now.

Stop playing dumb characters and I'll stop hating.

I am not happy that empire won...but they did. whatever.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
SmokeMaxX said:
The whole thing's stupid. Smash community promotes equality/community aspects so the top winners of tournies often split the pot.
Street Fighter community thinks this makes things less competitive (actually they're just BSing because they hate Smashers and just want something to rag on them about).
It's been heavily suspected that Korean Tekken MLG winners have been doing this at the last few tournies. The big difference is they don't speak English so it's not easy to have them say something stupid.

Huwa? To hate something you'd have to acknowledge it existence first. Reason why most players don't take too kindly to splitting the pot is economics. Having said that what people agree on dirty or otherwise is obviously at their discretion. Bracket rigging and taking dives is ultra lame however and should be frowned upon.

SmokeMaxX

Gr1mLock said:
Huwa? To hate something you'd have to acknowledge it existence first. Reason why most players don't take too kindly to splitting the pot is economics. Having said that what people agree on dirty or otherwise is obviously at their discretion. Bracket rigging and taking dives is ultra lame however and should be frowned upon.
Not sure what economics you're talking about. Obviously the only ones affected by the splitting of the pot are the players that were gonna get the money in the first place. Also, bracket rigging happens more often in street fighter tournies than Smash tournies. And finally, there's as much proof that the Smash player took a dive as there is Tekken players taking dives at multiple MLG sanctioned tournies.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
SmokeMaxX said:
Not sure what economics you're talking about. Obviously the only ones affected by the splitting of the pot are the players that were gonna get the money in the first place. Also, bracket rigging happens more often in street fighter tournies than Smash tournies. And finally, there's as much proof that the Smash player took a dive as there is Tekken players taking dives at multiple MLG sanctioned tournies.

I suppose you got evidence to show that bracket rigging takes place more often at SF tourneys then Smash tourneys? My point was that taking dives and rigging brackets is lame across the board. If you wanna split the pot with your buddy at a local tournament who am i to tell you you cant. Rigging finals in a professional setting within a tournament organized by a company with sponsors is a different thing however. I dont know who these guys are and if they're guilty of it i was pointing out that rigging brackets is fucking lame (and yes it most certainly DOES make the scene less competitive).

zlatko

Banned
EVO online? Why even bother?

Even if people don't abuse lag switches there could still be an instance of both player X and player Y can't get a good connection with each other and just flat out can't connect to fight each other. What happens then? Both DQed even though they wanted to fight each other ?

Also, looking at the states that can't participate I only really wonder why Alaska is not on the list. They are so far getting a decent connection is damn impossible for me in Nebraska.

EVO: Epic Fail Edition.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Solune said:
Remember MvC3 caters to completely different players than SSF4 and it will be pretty new and open up the way for new competitors as well as draw people who don't play SSF4.

I don't think MVC3 will get that many new players. I don't think there will be nearly as much crossover as people think.

So far many of the new SF4 players have not really shown a willingness to play other fighters all that much most places. I don't see why Marvel will be different, and I suspect the old hats will just keep playing MVC2 for some reason.

I think the game will be #2, but barely.

Oh, online tournies are a pain to set up. Just look at GAF, or the Samsho tournies the SSVSP special did in the past.

It's just an online mash up for a chance to win a trip to Evo 2011(and thus, japan) right? Whats the big deal? I doubt it's being taken as seriously as it's portrayed to be.

arstal said:
I don't think MVC3 will get that many new players. I don't think there will be nearly as much crossover as people think.

So far many of the new SF4 players have not really shown a willingness to play other fighters all that much most places. I don't see why Marvel will be different, and I suspect the old hats will just keep playing MVC2 for some reason.

I think the game will be #2, but barely.

game is getting too much attention to blow over like another blazblue

hitsugi

Adam Prime said:
Evo Online.... this is what happens when nobody tells you that your good idea is actually a bad idea.
But look at how well it worked for japan! Surely we can do it if they can.......

....right? :lol

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Kadey said:
Oh boy. Can't really think of any badass online player in U.S except for Seks, Kaako and that one guy. :D
Bwhaha my Dan will be ready! Brace yourselves world cause Saikyo bout to be unleashed.
I would probably participate for shits n giggles though if it was on PSN as well. No live, no tourney.

USD

B1gg_Randall said:
What!! I thought they got put out..
There were three different Empire teams: EMP1 (Sanford, Yipes), EMP2 (Andre, Dieminion), and EMP 3 (Poem, EvilRahsaan, I think). EMP1 fought from loser's and took it.

USD said:
There were three different Empire teams: EMP1 (Sanford, Yipes), EMP2 (Andre, Dieminion), and EMP 3 (Poem, EvilRahsaan, I think). EMP1 fought from loser's and took it.
Oh ok Thanks..Well the team I was talking bout was EMP1 (Sanford, Yipes)

XenoRaven

Spiderjericho said:
What is the drama? I must of missed it.
Apparently Jay held a mini online tournament on his stream and called it Evo. Someone from SRK (Mr. Wizard?) asked him to change it. Jay sent him a message back asking if something like Evo online would be ok and he never got a response. So he just changed it to that and then SRK stopped putting Jay's stream on their front page.

XenoRaven said:
Apparently Jay held a mini online tournament on his stream and called it Evo. Someone from SRK (Mr. Wizard?) asked him to change it. Jay sent him a message back asking if something like Evo online would be ok and he never got a response. So he just changed it to that and then SRK stopped putting Jay's stream on their front page.
peaceful jay with the prophetic lobby titles

XenoRaven said:

Well, I can understand there desire for him not to use the Evo name. He should've come up with his own tournament name. We have Season Beatings, NEC, LA Riots, Bar Fights, etc.

Why not call it Lag Fest?

XenoRaven

I don't know if he just called it Evo or if it was just in the title or what. Still, picture running a lobby with your friends and having a good time. That's the atmosphere if the stream. It's not like he puts up prize money or gets sponsors or even promotes the stream. He just streams friendly matches and people watch.

Still, SRK certainly doesn't HAVE to promote the stream. It does seem counter productive though, if your site exists for the community.

eissan

XenoRaven said:
I don't know if he just called it Evo or if it was just in the title or what. Still, picture running a lobby with your friends and having a good time. That's the atmosphere if the stream. It's not like he puts up prize money or gets sponsors or even promotes the stream. He just streams friendly matches and people watch.

Still, SRK certainly doesn't HAVE to promote the stream. It does seem counter productive though, if your site exists for the community.

If he was asked to change it why not just change it? they have the right to the evo name(mr. wizard and the evo crew) so they had every right to say dont use our name...seems like jay was just being a bit childish with not changing it.

Caj814

Here's some more of my replays. Been getting rusty in SSF4 recently thanks to work and having joystick issues. My Fierce was being randomly unresponsive and I just sent it out for it to get repaired since it may be an issue with the wiring.

Makoto(Caj814) Xbox Live Ranked Parts 1-2
Early October - Last night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxqPa2RfqbA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWA23i62j7k

Makoto(Caj814) Xbox Live Ranked Parts 1-2
Late Sept - Early October
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpAY7IMcxXg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iEyjIy8_J4

Claw(Caj814) Xbox Live Misc Battles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMmLgVqyoAo

Boxer(Caj814) Xbox Live Misc Battles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi_lRQPbybc

Cody(Caj814) Xbox Live Ranked Late August - Early October.
These were leftover replays right around the time my 360 red ringed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpyJdUL5Ujs

Yeah, the Cannons and Mr. Wiz don't want his streams to be confused with their Evo West, Evo East, Evo World Championships and Evo Japan line of tournaments, so I can understand the request. He should of ceded since SRK/Evo tournament are done out of good will and the community (and it's a $$$ losing proposition).

The only byproduct is now his stream isn't featured on the SRK web site. He was doing some good things.

And I was just listening to Marn on the last WakeupSRK, and he confirmed that the Japanese internet connections are almost lag free. I understand the reasons for having Evo Online but maaaan.

gutabo

Grrrr... I forgive you only because you're a cobra kai too!

I just PM'd you about the tourney thing, we have to train!

Cya online today late at night!

NeoUltima

Caj814 said:
Here's some more of my replays. Been getting rusty in SSF4 recently thanks to work and having joystick issues. My Fierce was being randomly unresponsive and I just sent it out for it to get repaired since it may be an issue with the wiring.
Sweet music selections.

I just woke up from a dream that I was chilling out at my house eating pizza with Daigo and Momochi, but I couldn't understand what the fuck Momochi was saying because he only spoke French, which he told me in English. We played Halo, but the map we were on had a large emphasis on rope swinging like in Pitfall.

Not as good as my dream about unlocking Q in Morrowind, though.

cHaotix8

Spiderjericho said:
What's the Dudley/Cammy matchup look like?

Oh according to Eventhubs tiers, it looks like 6:4 Cammy. Sako also has some god-like execution.

The online tournament sounds like a great idea.

Only Xbox Live. Sorry PSNers. But it might get a pretty good turnout.

Farms thinks it's 6:4 Cammy and I agree with him. Marn would probably get raped by Sako.

cHaotix8 said:
Farms thinks it's 6:4 Cammy and I agree with him. Marn would probably get raped by Sako.

Well since we all play with Markman's stick, I'm going to defer to his opinion of Marn>Sako. I forsee Sako getting blown up during his visit by someone. No one is immune to getting blown up.

Hitsugi, I'm not sure of all the details but the Evo tournament seems to have been operating at a loss for some time. They do it all for the fans. The Cannons, Ponder and Inkblot, with SRK, Evo and GGPO are things they give back to the fighting-game community.

cHaotix8

Spiderjericho said:
Well since we all play with Markman's stick, I'm going to defer to his opinion of Marn>Sako. I forsee Sako getting blown up during his visit by someone. No one is immune to getting blown up.

If Sako loses in America, I will bet you a million Bison dollars that it won't be to a Dudley. Marn takes huge ass risks all the time and that will get you blown up fighting Cammy. I could still see him losing to Gamerbee or Wong/Ricky though.

cHaotix8 said:
If Sako loses in America, I will bet you a million Bison dollars that it won't be to a Dudley. Marn takes huge ass risks all the time and that will get you blown up fighting Cammy. I could still see him losing to Gamerbee or Wong/Ricky though.
Marn will ultra forward dashes and shit on reaction. Believe.

Everytime Gamerbee does the c.Strong, RH Jag kick "blockstring" he's going to get DP'd out of it now that people have analyzed the SB5 footage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom