• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threi

notag
"translation: I hear america like salt. they get lot from me soon."

:lol stream chat

*edit*

Hakan player saying DeeJay is bottom 5 in the game...ouch

fallagin

AkumaHokoru said:
nah you'll get the hang of it. just practice it

Yeah, but it just seems like there isn't enough time to do an upercut then fadc then another uppercut. It is good that dodge cancelling can be linked right into an uppercut though.

I'm trying to do this with makoto, is she not the best character to do this with?

God's Beard said:
Just did a bunch of ranked matches using Fei Long with only normals, no throws or throw teching, no focus attacks, no specials super or ultra.

So far 50% win rate :D

It's kinda calming, it's hard to relax when I'm worried about all the different moves. I think next I'll try only focus attacks and throws, and swap between these limitations until Fei is around 1000 bp, then I'll allow myself all 3 together until I hit 2000 bp. Then I'll allow myself Ultra 2 until 2500, then Super until 3000, after which I'll see how much I've improved and use Fei's complete repertoire.

I wonder if I can win with only Focus Attacks and Ultra 2.
Wow, since when you started to consider using my boy Fei? Is he going to be your sub over Dud's? BTW, I need to throwdown with some of you XBL cats, only got to play the PSN GAFFERS.

fallagin said:
Yeah, but it just seems like there isn't enough time to do an upercut then fadc then another uppercut. It is good that dodge cancelling can be linked right into an uppercut though.

I'm trying to do this with makoto, is she not the best character to do this with?

Maybe you should try someone else like Akuma or Ken first. Both guys have multi hitting SRK's that'll give you a bit more time before you go for the FADC. So hopefully you won't feel like you're being rushed to do one after other ASAP.

Once you get the hang of that, go back to single hit FADC characters like Ryu, Sagat, Cammy, or Makoto like you mentioned. But is her DP even useful outside of jump ins or is that precisely what you wanted to use FADC for?

fallagin

Rice-Eater said:
Maybe you should try someone else like Akuma or Ken first. Both guys have multi hitting SRK's that'll give you a bit more time before you go for the FADC, so hopefully that will be a good start. Once you get the hang of that, go back to single hit FADC characters like Ryu, Sagat, Cammy, or Makoto like you mentioned. But is her DP even useful outside of jump ins or is that precisely what you wanted to use FADC for?

Umm I'm not sure exactly how I would want to use FADC really. I am just a beginner and I don't really know any good strategies, I'm just trying to get the moves down.

LowParry

fallagin said:
Umm I'm not sure exactly how I would want to use FADC really. I am just a beginner and I don't really know any good strategies, I'm just trying to get the moves down.

Just start with the basics and link combos. Worry about FADC later.

fallagin said:

FADC has many purposes. Take Ryu for example, here is a short list of things he can use it for

1) To land his 2 Ultras
2) When knocked down and opponent is near, use it as a safe DP to avoid mind games
3) FADC a close fireball to continue putting pressure on opponents

But like Ccrook said, if you're just starting the game now. FADC shouldn't be a priority right now. Just try to learn the basics and move on from there.

USD

They didn't record the (majority of the) Sako sessions? I know I should have been stream monstering, not sleeping. Oh well. At least part of it is watchable.

USD said:
They didn't record the (majority of the) Sako sessions? I know I should have been stream monstering, not sleeping. Oh well. At least part of it is watchable.

everything that was shown on stream is on that justin.tv link.

USD

Brobzoid said:
They're gonna use ustream this weekend right? justin.tv hates non-us viewers :c
Ustream is their channel, they were just using justin.tv as a backup because of internet issues. No one uses justin.tv for major tournaments.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Hope I can watch SCR this weekend.

Ken's new alt is hot hot hot! So is Ryu in a more gangsta way. Haven't tried the rest yet.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I realise I'm probably a scrub and have no place even commenting on high level play, but is anyone else a little put off by commentators that don't actually say anything intelligent or insightful, but just make random shoutouts and quip expressions like "on blast" and "stay free"?

Don't get me wrong, the banter is good (especially on GAF) and usually makes me laugh, but at least sometimes when watching a match with commentary, I hope to hear something about the players, the matchup or the situation that isn't a personal snipe or an injoke.

Basically, as a means to hopefully improve, I'm asking if there are any consistent commentries out there that do the players and their styles justice. Is it purely down to the individual, or does it just depend on the tournament/match at the time?

Joekage

B-Genius said:
I realise I'm probably a scrub and have no place even commenting on high level play, but is anyone else a little put off by commentators that don't actually say anything intelligent or insightful, but just make random shoutouts and quip expressions like "on blast" and "stay free"?

Don't get me wrong, the banter is good (especially on GAF) and usually makes me laugh, but at least sometimes when watching a match with commentary, I hope to hear something about the players, the matchup or the situation that isn't a personal snipe or an injoke.

Basically, as a means to hopefully improve, I'm asking if there are any consistent commentries out there that do the players and their styles justice. Is it purely down to the individual, or does it just depend on the tournament/match at the time?

Agreed, I'm all for hype and funny commentary but at the end of the day, I watch these matches hoping to gain insight on the strategies and makeup of the match unfolding and technical commentary to go along with that. Seth Killian is pretty much the staple commentator who uses this approach. Hopefully one day we'll get more like him.

USD

Joekage said:
Agreed, I'm all for hype and funny commentary but at the end of the day, I watch these matches hoping to gain insight on the strategies and makeup of the match unfolding and technical commentary to go along with that. Seth Killian is pretty much the staple commentator who uses this approach. Hopefully one day we'll get more like him.
If you're looking for more analytical commentary, there's also James Chen, who's probably a better answer simply because he commentates far more often.

I do think there still plenty of other solid commentators, though with markedly different styles. I think that Sp00ky, Art, and Die offered good commentary when on the mic during Season's Beatings.

Draft

B-Genius said:

If e-sports wants to make in roads to mainstream entertainment they should probably adopt the format used by almost all sports broadcasts: play by play guy and color guy. Play by play guy keeps it dry and relays only what's happening but occassionally comments on the action, color guy relates stories about games he's played in, people in the league, stuff like that.

Seems like SF commentators usually do 2 color guys, and conversely SC2 commentators do 2 play by play guys.

Draft said:
If e-sports wants to make in roads to mainstream entertainment they should probably adopt the format used by almost all sports broadcasts: play by play guy and color guy. Play by play guy keeps it dry and relays only what's happening but occassionally comments on the action, color guy relates stories about games he's played in, people in the league, stuff like that.

Seems like SF commentators usually do 2 color guys, and conversely SC2 commentators do 2 play by play guys.
Evo did this pretty well with Seth providing play by play for SFIV and HDR. He's really good at it.

Seb works for MLG now I think, but he was also really awesome play by play guy. I miss the EC streams he ran for FADC, where it would be him and Chris Hu or Yipes for the perfect PBP/Color mix.

hitsugi

some good shit from marn vs sako last night.. the guy really did look tired as hell :lol wonder how hard the jet lag is gonna hit him..

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
_dementia said:
Evo did this pretty well with Seth providing play by play for SFIV and HDR. He's really good at it.

Seb works for MLG now I think, but he was also really awesome play by play guy. I miss the EC streams he ran for FADC, where it would be him and Chris Hu or Yipes for the perfect PBP/Color mix.

You could go the wrestling route and have a heel commentator- cheers for Marn blatantly, insults scrubs, etc...

I think that could be entertaining if done right.

Rice-Eater said:
FADC has many purposes. Take Ryu for example, here is a short list of things he can use it for

1) To land his 2 Ultras
2) When knocked down and opponent is near, use it as a safe DP to avoid mind games
3) FADC a close fireball to continue putting pressure on opponents

But like Ccrook said, if you're just starting the game now. FADC shouldn't be a priority right now. Just try to learn the basics and move on from there.

The problem is some chars get nothing about of FADC (Juri, most charge movers), whereas others get well, as much as Ryu does.

At least it beats parrying and custom combos.

LakeEarth

B-Genius said:
They're not even commentators, they're people who talk to the stream while the match is going on. At one point during the Sako vs Justin exhibition match last night, in the second match Sako did an unsafe cannon drill and Justin with ultra and 3 bars fucked up the punish, which would've turned the match around. Did they even notice?

Its usually better during actual tournies though.

ShinobiFist said:
Wow, since when you started to consider using my boy Fei? Is he going to be your sub over Dud's? BTW, I need to throwdown with some of you XBL cats, only got to play the PSN GAFFERS.

He was my main in Vanilla and sub in SSF4. Right now I'm moving him up and making Guy my secondary. Fei Long's the best for the practice I need, he has really good normals, an overhead and a cross up, which makes my job a lot easier with my limitations. I wonder if people on Ranked even notice that I'm only using normals.

I like Guy because I think he has the easiest FADC combos and I'm crap at FADC.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
LakeEarth said:
They're not even commentators, they're people who talk to the stream while the match is going on. At one point during the Sako vs Justin exhibition match last night, in the second match Sako did an unsafe cannon drill and Justin with ultra and 3 bars fucked up the punish, which would've turned the match around. Did they even notice?

Its usually better during actual tournies though.
Makes sense. I'm probably just watching the wrong streams!
I'll keep an eye out for those mentioned. Cheers, guys.

On an unrelated note, I've finally nailed the Seismic Hammer cancel. Need to get it more consistent, but I won my first match thanks to its beauty last night, and it felt hella good :)
Viper is fun again!

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Srsly, Ken's all red alt makes me wanna get get at this game all over again. Was actually having fun in ranked last night. Weird right?

Seep

I'm picking this up on the weekend but which version do I get which has the better online community PS3 or 360?

God's Beard, we should play. I haven't played in a long time, so it might help both of our games. Perhaps, later today. I'm on the West Coast.

I watched the Sako casuals. Justin Wong and possibly Marn are going to be a problem for him come SoCal regionals. They seem pretty comfortable with the Cammy matchup. He should definitely have that Rose in the chamber, just in case. I would've used that time to work w her, as that is ample competition with some of SoCal's best.

Seep said:
I'm picking this up on the weekend but which version do I get which has the better online community PS3 or 360?

360 online is better, lag wise and finding games. Both have communities via GAFSSFIV chat room and the usual suspects on 360 (Haunts, AZ Greg, Caj, Threi, Relix, etc).

I think it's possible to play Balrog entirely around final TAP, that would be so badass. Sure you lose half your buttons, but hey. Lose the kicks and you still have the dash low and overhead, and some really good pokes. Not to mention headbutt, super and the normal TAP. Plus forward dash Ultra to beat fireballs. Just turtle all day and poke out a hundred damage and bam. As long as you hit the TAP, you'll be good :lol

Spiderjericho said:
God's Beard, we should play. I haven't played in a long time, so it might help both of our games. Perhaps, later today. I'm on the West Coast.

Sure, I'm Gods Beard on xbl.

NeoUltima

Wow. So I thought not seeing costumes on PSN was simply a glitch(black screen, xmb-like error)...It straight up has a custom graphic on the load screen that says you need to purchase it. Wtf. Yet no such thing on XBL. Some sort of experiment? Maybe they want to see which method leads to higher relative sales.

NeoUltima said:
Wow. So I thought not seeing costumes on PSN was simply a glitch(black screen, xmb-like error)...It straight up has a custom graphic on the load screen that says you need to purchase it. Wtf. Yet no such thing on XBL. Some sort of experiment? Maybe they want to see which method leads to higher relative sales.
I mirror matched a ken player with my alt3 outfit on, he left the endless lobby, and retuned about 3 minutes later to the lobby with the new outfit on :lol

it's working!

Seep

Spiderjericho said:
360 online is better, lag wise and finding games. Both have communities via GAFSSFIV chat room and the usual suspects on 360 (Haunts, AZ Greg, Caj, Threi, Relix, etc).
Thx 360 it is.

I haven't played a street fighter since super street fighter 2 turbo on the mega drive. :eek:

USD

NeoUltima said:
Is there no costume catalog on PS3 like the one on 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom