• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axis

Spiderjericho said:
If you're going by OG and SSFIV, then Flash has consistently placed high in tournaments. Marlin just started getting shine. Andre has been consistent since IV but again not a high finisher like Peter. Die has really been doing well as of late with his Guile.

But if we're going as who's the hottest player coming up right now then it's probably either Marlin or Dieminion.

i'm not gonna argue that he consistently placed high..but he hasn't done shit lately at all...he's having a character identity crisis or some shit...i think marlin's a better player than flash overall...and die plays guile...that's all that needs to be said lol

calipower said:
Exhibition #2

4v4 Team Cali All Stars vs International Team!

2 all stars from each region will face-off vs GamerBee, Tokido, Daigo, and SAKO!

Team Captains from Norcal and SoCal will decide the team.

That's not all -

If you want to get a shot at the international team after the exhibition,

Daigo/Tokido/GamerBee is willing to MM anybody at SCR!

Mama Sako said hell not to the MMs.

MightyKAC said:
Since my Vega's getting hit hard with the nerf bat I've been trying to level up my Ibuki. I'm loving the speed and options and the overall metric fuck-ton of custom combos she can do. Now I'm just working what to once I get the opponent knocked down.

Anyone know any decent Ibuki strats?

Once you get the knockdown you go for a mix up. Here are some mixups.

-Try to get a neckbreaker to knock someone down. It's the perfect distance to start it up.

1. as soon as you recover from neckbreaker, do a normal jab. Once you do you can either super jump into kunai or super jump to lk (only works on some characters). Once you do that do TC4 on hit or to start a block string. You can also super jump to nothing (end up on opposite side) and then go for a throw. Mix it up so you don't become predictable. The purpose of the jab is to time their wake up with perfect accuracy. If you time it perfectly, which you will with the jab, they must block because if they attempt a DP, they will get hit.

2. Command dash after neckbreaker. Instant kunai as they are getting up. On a lot of characters (like shotos), the kunai ends up on the opposite side, so it's a cross up. On others, they can just block normally.

3. After neckbreaker, go up to them and do a low hien.

4. After neckbreaker, do a cr. mk and then just jump towards them for the lk cross up.

There are plenty more, and the 1st one is her best mix up. This is just to get you started with her.

As for Nerd Josh,... fuck it, he's still a favorite player of mine (no idea why I put mind) lol. Hope he stays with Ibuki.

MightyKAC

KS Seven X said:
Once you get the knockdown you go for a mix up. Here are some mixups.

-Try to get a neckbreaker to knock someone down. It's the perfect distance to start it up.

1. as soon as you recover from neckbreaker, do a normal jab. Once you do you can either super jump into kunai or super jump to lk (only works on some characters). Once you do that do TC4 on hit or to start a block string. You can also super jump to nothing (end up on opposite side) and then go for a throw. Mix it up so you don't become predictable. The purpose of the jab is to time their wake up with perfect accuracy. If you time it perfectly, which you will with the jab, they must block because if they attempt a DP, they will get hit.

2. Command dash after neckbreaker. Instant kunai as they are getting up. On a lot of characters (like shotos), the kunai ends up on the opposite side, so it's a cross up. On others, they can just block normally.

3. After neckbreaker, go up to them and do a low hien.

4. After neckbreaker, do a cr. mk and then just jump towards them for the lk cross up.

There are plenty more, and the 1st one is her best mix up. This is just to get you started with her.

As for Nerd Josh,... fuck it, he's still a favorite player of mine (no idea why I put mind) lol. Hope he stays with Ibuki.

Thanks a lot man. I'm gonna take ALL of this to the lab and see what comes out..... ;)

MightyKAC said:
Re-Fricking-DONKulous. Making that Mak look absolutely broken!!!!
Better hope Capcom doesn't see that or else it's Nerf city....

Not to worry Makoto players, but when Yeb started dishing out Gen's cross-up dive-kick shenanigans...

VRyu is crazy with his use of meaty attacks though, makes it look like every attack Makoto has will link.

Dartastic

Spirit of Jazz said:
Not to worry Makoto players, but when Yeb started dishing out Gen's cross-up dive-kick shenanigans...

VRyu is crazy with his use of meaty attacks though, makes it look like every attack Makoto has will link.
Seriously. Really drove home how important the knockdown to meaty is for her. I'm prolly gonna watch this video. Lots.

Some required reading for normals-only Fei play:

cFP -> f+MK -> jMP: far poke to overhead leads into a perfect crossup clearing many counter-pokes
cMP -> jMK: really ambiguous crossup based on the range you connected with cMP

jMP, clMP, cHK(130 damage/210 stun): This is your main combo after landing the crossup, comes with knockdown.
jMP, clMP, FP (246 damage/360 stun): For that little extra oomph when you need it.
cLK, LP, LP, cMK (130 Damage/210 Stun): The best combo off a low.

cMP, cMP: The normals-only god combo. Insane counter-poke for a huge 90 damage! Instill fear and wonder in their soul!

The usefulness of these techniques is in question, however, considering I lose just about every match :lol

Except for this guy:

Cn9xP.jpg

pu01B.jpg

Mmm... ragequit.

To be fair, I just started mashing taunt instead of finishing him off.

I'm watching this PSN stream hosted by XUpYourGameX. And this T Hawk keeps winning with the scrubbiest tactics. It's seriously pissing me off because I've lost to Hawks using the same tactics a lot. I went online to try and join that room to take out the Hawk player but I can't find it anywhere(if it's private, does it not show up?). Now I'm sitting here begging for someone to finally punish that Hawk for all the BS he keeps doing and getting away with.

EDIT: And a Guy stops the nightmare and ends that Hawk's 10 game win streak. Faith in Guy redeemed :lol

simtmb

Rice-Eater said:
I'm watching this PSN stream hosted by XUpYourGameX. And this T Hawk keeps winning with the scrubbiest tactics. It's seriously pissing me off because I've lost to Hawks using the same tactics a lot. I went online to try and join that room to take out the Hawk player but I can't find it anywhere(if it's private, does it not show up?). Now I'm sitting here begging for someone to finally punish that Hawk for all the BS he keeps doing and getting away with.

EDIT: And a Guy stops the nightmare and ends that Hawk's 10 game win streak. Faith in Guy redeemed :lol

:lol Guy ftw. xD

Rooms even with max private slots still show up afaik.

Would anyone mind giving me the short version of why Gouken is considered pretty low tier-wise? I've just started trying him out and I wanted to know what weaknesses in his game I should look out for

robotzombie said:
Would anyone mind giving me the short version of why Gouken is considered pretty low tier-wise? I've just started trying him out and I wanted to know what weaknesses in his game I should look out for

Bad normals, crappy fireball hitbox with a large startup, good combos but no mobility to use them, no good reversal, back throw easy to tech...

Wiseblade

robotzombie said:
Probably his biggest issues are his lack of mobility and that he's kind of a sitting duck for mixup characters.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
MightyKAC said:
Re-Fricking-DONKulous. Making that Mak look absolutely broken!!!!
Better hope Capcom doesn't see that or else it's Nerf city....

She still sucks... only reason he is pulling this off is because those players have no idea what to do against makoto...most of that stuff can easily be countered when you know what you are doing. Hell even dan can look that good when played properly against some randoms high bp online players!

kitzkozan

DarkoMaledictus said:
She still sucks... only reason he is pulling this off is because those players have no idea what to do against makoto...most of that stuff can easily be countered when you know what you are doing.

Part of what you are saying his true,but I'm sure he could blow you up easily. :lol He can pull his stuff up because he's got superior execution,spacing,etc.After all,the most advantageous/safest position you can be in Street fighter is while doing a combo/link no matter how good or bad the character you are playing,so execution is king.Case in point: Sako and Mago with his near flawless Fei Long right now.I haven't seen another Makoto who can execute and maximize his damage from every opening like this dude yet.

In my opinion,this guy is the european Marn right now.Taking a low tier character and making him dangerous because of elite level execution.

Heck,he's going to be in a tournament with Mago at the beginning of 2011 so that's going to be interesting. :D

USD

That Blanka has been getting in that ass for 30 minutes now, I'm waiting for someone to actually beat him. :lol

EDIT: Finally, a Honda took a game from him, now he's just has to do it again to kick him off of the machine. Good luck. :lol

EDIT2: It is factually impossible to beat this guy. :lol

Threi

notag
DarkoMaledictus said:
She still sucks... only reason he is pulling this off is because those players have no idea what to do against makoto
Nope. It's actually the opposite, it's because they do know what to do with makoto. Make no mistake, those segments in the vids are cherrypicked for his best ownages, but because he wins with mak doesn't mean the other person doesn't know the matchup. Makoto can put you into some scary situations defensively, despite what any "baww makoto is the worst in the game baww" people would like to tell you. For example: if you don't use karakusa on opponents much because the range on it sucks, play an opponent enough and you will condition them not to expect it. Mix it up every round here and there and what do you get? An opponent who second guesses what he should do when under pressure. That's where you get the hesitation, that's where vryu can shine with the dirty mixups. Nobody is a robot, nobody can automatically do and punish the right thing at the right time. Just because the player knows the punish doesn't mean it will come to the opponent's mind immediately.

Personally I feel that despite makoto's weaknesses, she at least has a strong area of expertise (damage/stun potential). If you know what she is good at you can at least work around it. Other characters in this game don't even have that luxury, some characters are just mediocre at everything. She is ass on wakeup but her offense actually poses a threat.

...and you also got players like vryu here continually coming up with creative setups...some characters have completely dead playerbases.

kitzkozan

Threi said:
Nope. It's actually the opposite, it's because they do know what to do with makoto. Make no mistake, those segments in the vids are cherrypicked for his best ownages, but because he wins with mak doesn't mean the other person doesn't know the matchup. Makoto can put you into some scary situations defensively, despite what any "baww makoto is the worst in the game baww" people would like to tell you. For example: if you don't use karakusa on opponents much because the range on it sucks, play an opponent enough and you will condition them not to expect it. Mix it up every round here and there and what do you get? An opponent who second guesses what he should do when under pressure. That's where you get the hesitation, that's where vryu can shine with the dirty mixups. Nobody is a robot, nobody can automatically do and punish the right thing at the right time. Just because the player knows the punish doesn't mean it will come to the opponent's mind immediately.

Personally I feel that despite makoto's weaknesses, she at least has a strong area of expertise (damage/stun potential). If you know what she is good at you can at least work around it. Other characters in this game don't even have that luxury, some characters are just mediocre at everything. She is ass on wakeup but her offense actually poses a threat.

...and you also got players like vryu here continually coming up with creative setups...some characters have completely dead playerbases.

Like Dee Jay perhaps? :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom