• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

USD

~Devil Trigger~ said:
i thought Andre wanted to go cuz his new life goal now is to walk around and beat Japanese players
I heard Yipes wanted to go to SCR as well, guess it didn't pan out.

I know Arturo wants to go to NCR, which goes down in two weeks. I wonder if anyone EC will actually show up though.

Joekage

USD said:
I heard Yipes wanted to go to SCR as well, guess it didn't pan out.

I know Arturo wants to go to NCR, which goes down in two weeks. I wonder if anyone EC will actually show up though.

Yipes came down to Absolute Battle, here in Dallas TX, along with Sanford and other members of Empire. I got top 8 in the tournament as well as my friend FindmyFarms. :)

I lost to Sanford in Winners and in losers I lost to Mike Weng, really good Ryu player.

Got 8th place, kinda bummed but hoping to get better and make my way up to the top sometime soon.

Also, think I have the best placing of a Cody in a major as of yet, although I'm not too sure of this haha.

Joekage said:
Yipes came down to Absolute Battle, here in Dallas TX, along with Sanford and other members of Empire. I got top 8 in the tournament as well as my friend FindmyFarms. :)

I lost to Sanford in Winners and in losers I lost to Mike Weng, really good Ryu player.

Got 8th place, kinda bummed but hoping to get better and make my way up to the top sometime soon.

Also, think I have the best placing of a Cody in a major as of yet, although I'm not too sure of this haha.

I'm happy for you. Great to see people from GAF place high in a tournament. If only it wasn't for those darn out of towners. And your Cody is definitely on point.

So what were the results? Who won the tournament? Where'd my boy, Find place?

Absolute Battle 2K10 - Results

Absolute Battle 2K10 - Final Results

Super Street Fighter IV (Singles)
1. EMP Santhrax (Viper, Ryu, Cammy) - NY
2. Viet (Akuma, Ryu) - TX
3. EMP IFC Yipes (Abel, M. Bison) - NY
4. Mike Weng (Ryu) - AK
6. FindmyFarms (Cammy) - TX
6. Fourwude (Akuma) - TX
8. JW (Chun-Li) - TX
8. Tostitosalsa (Cody) - TX

South Florida Challenge IV Miami, FL 11/7 Results

Finals
1. Arturo "TS Sabin" Sanchez (Rose, Dhalsim)
2. Flash Metroid (Viper, Fei Long) (lost to Arturo 3-0, 3-0)
3. EMP Dieminion (Guile, Honda)
4. Joshua "Ragingraven" Spoon (Ryu, Rufus)
5 (tie) Alex Navarro (Rufus, Guile)
5 (tie) Jo "SimplyPh33r" Gray (Rufus, Abel)

And everyone was watching SCR, so no need to post those results.

Hopefully, Buktooth and Arturo both attend NCR, along with Combofiend, Wong, Marn, Flash, etc.

We have Canada Cup then NCR then NEC to end the major tournament season.

Joekage said:

Good shit man!!! Anyway I can see those matches????

I'm surprised there isn't montages of players like Daigo, Wong, Sako, Mago, Valle, etc... of all their hype moments in every game they've been in.

Would be pretty sick if someone made that. I mean, Daigo has the 3s parry, the comeback vs another japanese ryu chip timer win in ST, comeback vs afrolegends, cr. fierce> super against Art, etc...

Someone make it happen.

SmokeMaxX

Let the record state that Mike Weng from Arkansas sent Sanford and Yipes to Loser's in the 2v2 team tourney by himself and Fubarduck blew up Team Empire for a pretty free OCV. I love Sanford, but he was pretty salty after that.

BotoxAgent said:
Nice seeing the US fighting community making an international guest feel at home

Yeah, it was nice to see the videos uploaded of the SoCal community interacting with Gamerbee or the Japenese players. The Daigo drinking game video is hilarious.

Gamerbee seems like a very humble, good natured person.

And BotoxAgent, Sako was broken, as well as the Japanese/American knowledge of the matchup. Wong was familiar with it since he plays James Chen and uses the character.

Yeah, I agreem Justin outplayed Sako for sure, esp. Justin being a very good Cammy player himself.

But I do feel that if Cammy is getting the nerf hammer, so should Rufus :D

XenoRaven

The more I think about it, the less I think nerfs are the answer. They nerfed Ryu and Sagat, now Honda and Cammy are too strong. They nerf Honda and Cammy, Chun and Bison are going to be too strong. We're going to nerf the top tier until everyone shuffles around like nursing home patients doing 100 damage per combo. There are some things in the game that they probably need to look at nerfing. But as a whole, you can do wonders for some of these characters when you just give them a little bit more help. Since we're fresh off of SCR, I think Dhalsim is a good example of this.

That said, it's easier to just nerf the top guys, so that's probably what will happen. Then all the low characters will get pointless buffs like some improved normal that no one ever uses anyway.

USD

BotoxAgent said:
Yeah, I agree Justin outplayed Sako for sure, esp. Justin being a very good Cammy player himself.

The only notable nerfs that Rufus got were damage reduction on EX Messiah and a nerf on anti-air UC2. You can look forward to much more dive kick pressure in AE. :lol

Arturo has been showing the powah of Dhalsim since the 360 Leak. The problem with Dhalsim is he's a difficult character to play, hence why only Jason Cole, Filipino Champ, Henry Cen, Sabin and a few others are the only notable players. SRK didn't go down yesterday becuz of the overwhelming traffic in the Dhalsim sub-forum.

With the damage hammer and nerfs from IV to Super IV, he definitely moved up a bit is not the OMG character, as he has poor matchups against Abel, Rufus, Adon, Ibuki, Viper, etc. It's more a testament to Sabin or Champ's knowledge of the character and matchups.

But honestly, the only thing they can do is tweak damage, nerf the properties of moves or add new moves (which means you have to rebalance anyways).

I think Capcom did a great job with the balance in IV and Super IV. Probably the most balanced title they've released versus tournament mainstays Trinity Strike (Chun, Ken and Yun, not to say some other characters aren't viable), ST and MVC2.

cHaotix8

Why do people complain about Rufus? He's really not hard to beat at all.

Good shit to Joe and Farms for taking top 8. I gotta work on beating Hondas more consistently.

I'm thinking that I should of money matched Sanford's Sagat. I could of taken him. :<

USD

DryEyeRelief said:
why is alioune playing dan? :lol
That was just exhibition.

Looks like the 5v5 got canceled because of lag issues, so they're just running exhibition matches now.

EDIT: Unrelated, but Guard Crush 12 on Wednesday is going to be dual-character lock singles. Guess that will work.

USD

True, most people stick with a main and a secondary anyway. But at least we'll get to see Art Sim again. He stuck with Rose in all three of the character-lock tourneys, mainly so he wouldn't get blown up by Sim's bad match-ups.

USD

Wow, VRyu just used Mak's Super invincibility to dodge a wake-up throw, then punished the whiff with Ultra. Nice. :lol

BotoxAgent said:

A pity he really didn't beyond a minor ex jesus kick nerf. Dunno why Capcom likes him so much. Also not sure why he gets to keep his instant dive kick.

stabicron7 said:
A pity he really didn't beyond a minor ex jesus kick nerf. Dunno why Capcom likes him so much. Also not sure why he gets to keep his instant dive kick.
His dive doesn't build meter so that's probably the only reason why.

cHaotix8

stabicron7 said:

How would he get his damage otherwise? Cammy's jumpins are pretty good, she has pretty good normals at mid/close range and a DP. She won't be much worse off. Rufus, on the other hand, relies solely on his dive kick. Seriously, what else does he have?

I don't understand all the Rufus hate. People always complain about how cheap he is but only Team EG win with him.

"A pity he really didn't beyond a minor ex jesus kick nerf. Dunno why Capcom likes him so much. Also not sure why he gets to keep his instant dive kick."

If I had to guess:

1) Cannon Strike gives a ton of hitstun, combo window for Dive Kick is significantly smaller.
2) Cammy BnBs off a Cannon Strike likewise have pretty lenient link windows, Rufus's short, fierce? link is pretty strict.

can't Rufus target combo into Ultra from a divekick though? that's a really good reward
i guess cammy has EX TK strike to ultra, but that's a tougher hitconfirm

Teknopathetic said:
"A pity he really didn't beyond a minor ex jesus kick nerf. Dunno why Capcom likes him so much. Also not sure why he gets to keep his instant dive kick."

If I had to guess:

1) Cannon Strike gives a ton of hitstun, combo window for Dive Kick is significantly smaller.
2) Cammy BnBs off a Cannon Strike likewise have pretty lenient link windows, Rufus's short, fierce? link is pretty strict.

1.) Interesting fact the higher up Cammy's dive kick is done the less hit and block stun she gets. We still have no idea on what the min height restriction is so that really doesn't help much.

2.) I will give you that Rufus does have harder BNB's however as far as the annoying BS factor his dive kicks are just as bad if not worse to deal with than Cammy's for a lot of characters.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
USD said:
Wow, VRyu just used Mak's Super invincibility to dodge a wake-up throw, then punished the whiff with Ultra. Nice. :lol
her Super's the best wake up option in the game, i use it all the time.

edit: who's up next on the Nerf Blog?

MoxManiac

stabicron7 said:

Rufus was fine aside from U2 bullshit in some matchups in super, he doesn't need any nerfs. He'd be bottom tier and useless if they did anything at all to his dive kick.

cHaotix8 said:
I don't understand all the Rufus hate. People always complain about how cheap he is but only Team EG win with him.

You can probably find people to hate on fucking everything that isn't considered bottom-tier.

Teknopathetic said:

If I had to guess:

Cammy and Rufus divekicks are pretty equal IMO. Different properties and situationally a bit different, even though at the core the dive kick is simply a throw tech punish.

-Startup/hitstun- Cammy's divekick has way more startup/recovery than Rufus, but does more block/hitstun so you get more setups after hit/block. Rufus DK recovery means he can throw more DK at footsie range to lull the opponent looking for an anti-air, whereas Cammy's DK feints at footsies are pretty easily punished. Cammy's however, due to the hit stun and her cr. mk, can punish limbs at footsies.

-Versatility- Rufus DK has a LOT more ambiguous crossup setups off knockdown, whereas cammy's almost never crosses up (some characters such as guile, honda, few others are mad easy to xup w/ cammy dk tho). Due to 3 angles on DK from forward/neutral/back jump rufus has a lot more movement options in the air with it as well. Cammy's trump card is her EX divekick. That shit is strait up broken, and IMO in AE I would have left the TK dk's as his, but actually removed cammy's EX dk. The move has a shit load of priority, and stuffs damn near everything at the right angle. Also the threat of an EX dk makes footsies so bad against cammy because if you stick something out and get a limb caught by an ex dk, you probably just lost the match.

Beating a dead horse, but there's no reason for TK divekick to be taken out. Scrubs bitch about the game being too turtley, but at the same time want to be able to just time os techs in rythm with the opponents block strings. No one likes it when they don't have an all purpose answer to mixups, and get blown up for mashing cr. techs.

vDct3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom