• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitsugi

God's Beard said:
I'm gonna call bullshit on that.

Remy agrees with me

Hmm...

Between the long-ass juggles, parries, charge partitioning and tight reversal window, boy, you must be losing your mind. 3rd Strike's higher speed and more flexible characters mean that you have to be more prepared to deal with situations that would be relatively simple in SFIV, like dash under setups and corner pressure. Just blocking takes better execution than it does in SFIV.
Nailed it. Hopefully one of those vids is a keeper jin or Kara palm vid.. Or any of Jiro's matches

Kimosabae

Banned
Were the long juggles, parries and speed extant in SSF4 they'd be harder, because what makes SSF4 difficult execution wise is not capacity; indeed, the game's mechanics are very limited, but the game's shit engine. Executing basic motions in SSF4 can often be a challenge due to all the contingencies brought about by circumstances and shortcuts, forcing one to be, ironically, more precise.

Imagine you're playing 3S having to link normals and do Urien Aegis setups in SSF4's engine.

Yeah..

Reversal timing is the only thing that's relatively stress-free. Links are more than memorization - they require rhythm timing, complexing their execution in heated circumstances that much more.

Despite the game's speed, when I play 3rd Strike or the Alpha series, I can execute whatever's in my capacity at any moment, and when I screw up an input, I know it's because I dropped an input, not because I wasn't mindful of some contingency hanging in the balance, giving me something else. Because of this, the controls feel extremely tight, making them feel that much less stress free, execution wise.

Chaotix said:
I have a hard time just getting my supers out when I want to in 3S. That game is far from easy.

If you're more used to SSF4's leniency, of course they will feel harder. But, assuming being able to execute Super's in 3rd Strike at will, will translate to tighter execution in SSF4 is false IMO, because the means for execution are different in the latter.

There's a thread on SRK with veteran posters confused about how to perform Dash -> Fireball without getting a DP. This isn't a combo, or a juggle, or specific setup of any sort - it's just an example of a mundane movement pattern that pops up in fighting games all the time that becomes obfuscated by SSF4's arcane engine. Obviously, if one know's how, this distraction can be obviated; but that's part of my point. It is mundane, it is a distraction and it has to be obviated, consciously at all times.

SSF4 is one of the more demanding games in the series, execution wise.
no-no-no.jpg

Satyamdas

Banned
God's Beard said:
I'm gonna call bullshit on that.

Remy agrees with me

http://shoryuken.com/images/smilies/left.gifm/watch?v=K3-Oc503dQs"]Hmm...[/URL]

Between the long-ass juggles, parries, charge partitioning and tight reversal window, boy, you must be losing your mind. 3rd Strike's higher speed and more flexible characters mean that you have to be more prepared to deal with situations that would be relatively simple in SFIV, like dash under setups and corner pressure. Just blocking takes better execution than it does in SFIV.
In my opinion each game has it's own demands with regards to execution, and paradoxically the more lenient inputs of SF4 is what provides it's difficulty. The stricter input system of 3S (and all the SF2's before it) along with a smaller window to execute makes you realize just how overly lenient the system is in SF4. In 3S (at least from the little I've played) it seems almost impossible to get an accidental super even if you are sloppy with your inputs, whereas in SF4 it is almost impossible to NOT get a super for even 1 extra directional input during an srk motion. I prefer the stricter system by far since my execution is sloppy and it blows me up daily in SF4. Also when I play the older games I can notice just how much worse my execution has gotten since I rely on the lenient system in SF4. I have trouble getting shoryus to come out regularly. D:

The bigger input window and more lenient inputs of the SF4 engine means it is MUCH easier to get accidental moves and therefore requires it's own level of precision. For example, the command for Yoga Blast is HCB + K. Yet the game will accept
right.gif
down.gif
left.gif
+ K. So after I slide underneath a jumpin and my stick goes from
down.gif
to
left.gif
, I will purposefully wait a tick before I press lk or mk, to try and avoid getting an accidental Yoga Blast. But even with just those 2 directions, and even after waiting a beat for the buffer to be empty, I continue to get Yoga Blasts. Same deal with having someone knocked down in the corner, wanting to let loose a Yoga Catastrophe in front of them, and instead getting a teleport which puts you in the corner and ends your game. This happens to every Sim player. Now granted I have terrible execution, but I've seen the likes of Iyo, Mochi, Champ, etc., also get the same accidental YB or teleports (albeit far less frequently). This super lenient system ironically makes SF4 a much harder game execution-wise than it first appears. Then there are the 1 frame links and multiple FADC combos which are not the hardest thing in the world, but which can easily be considered "demanding" as far as execution goes.

Imm0rt4l

Daigo's attending NCR as well, I wish I had disposable income to burn like that. I wonder how much he usually nets in money matches when he comes stateside.

Imm0rt4l said:
Daigo's attending NCR as well, I wish I had disposable income to burn like that. I wonder how much he usually nets in money matches when he comes stateside.

doesn't madcatz pay his way?

and I dislike f.champ so much, lol

Imm0rt4l said:

He'll lose again to Filipinochamp. Dhalsim is a bad matchup for Ryu. Am I saying he can't succeed, no but look at the way he plays Dhalsim, he has to take so many risks and eat many limbs in order to get in.

I can't believe Champ was talking sideways at the end of that video. Ha, ha, ha. Champ for president.

And anyone know where I can get those SOR2 remixes?

_dementia said:
He's sponsored

Or the event holders pay for him to fly out. I'm sure it wasn't like that in the past but with IV and his popularity growing, he's doing okay (doubt he's a thousandaire).

And just finally read the sonichurricane post and the thread on SRK. Wow. A lot of salt in the community right now between some of the shenanigans.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Oh God I didn't intend to start a big debate. What have I dooooooonnnne.

ShinobiFist said:
Whats your GGPO handle?

Fragment. I'm a pretty huge 3S newbie though.

Spiderjericho said:
He'll lose again to Filipinochamp. Dhalsim is a bad matchup for Ryu. Am I saying he can't succeed, no but look at the way he plays Dhalsim, he has to take so many risks and eat many limbs in order to get in.

I'm not sure why you're ignoring all the bad matches Champ overcame to win SCR.

Lost Fragment said:
I'm not sure why you're ignoring all the bad matches Champ overcame to win SCR.

You're right. And I was going to post this yesterday after the OMG Dhalsim/Ryu matchup wasn't in Daigo's favor. Filipino Champ dominated Ricky in their match (Ricky used Rufus, who has an advantage against Dhalsim). And he caused Wong to switch to Cammy and still won.

I'm not saying Daigo can't beat Champ. It's just going to be tough. A good Dhalsim gives him trouble (see YMCmochi, Champ and Arturo). He can't play his normal style against Dhalsim.

TaKeRx

Hello PS3 friends, I just recently double-dipped and need some friends on the PS3 version. I also keep hearing good things about a chat? My PSN Tag is xTaKeR. See you guys online.

haunts said:
1UP.com is reporting that the sales of some DLC items for Super Street Fighter 4 have been suspended on Xbox Live but not PSN due to technical difficulties. Sales of the costume packs on XBL will resume come November 16th.

The items that have been taken down are: Ultra Costume Catalog 1, Ultra Challengers Pack 1 and the Ultra Shoryuken Pack. We'll be sure to update you guys on anymore developments regarding the XBL DLC sales.

more ipw/NCR hype said:
Daigo "The Beast" Umehara is confirmed to be in attendance at NCR8! Will this end up being the saltiest of salty runbacks ever versus Filipino Champ?

I wanted to buy the SSFIV all-in-one pack.

haunts said:
sorry about all the bad language last night.

is this sarcasm? don't ever change. it was a nice change from the commentary at scr.

i wasn't surprised at the daigo announcement since darry gave it away during the iplaywinner stream last night. "at ncr I'm going to call daigo a bitch" Though I'm a little bummed because i heard mago was going to go too.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Really want to switch to akuma for good.. getting BORED of sagat.. lol

speaking of sagat, picked up a cool sagat triumvir shirt at SCR. It was like 20-25 bucks but I told them I only had 12 and they hooked me up. :lol

haunts said:

speaking of sagat, picked up a cool sagat triumvir shirt at SCR. It was like 20-25 bucks but I told them I only had 12 and they hooked me up. :lol

Is it the one of his character art from Alpha 3? And there's nothing wrong with switching characters. No point in playing if you can't have fun.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Spiderjericho said:
Is it the one of his character art from Alpha 3? And there's nothing wrong with switching characters. No point in playing if you can't have fun.

uhhhmmm I think so? haha.. Its black shirt with his profile shot, takes up msot of the shirt. looks pretty cool.

Sagats lack of mobility just aggravates me, esp versus chun li and ryu etc... He has some cool stuff but he is just sooo slow.

Lost Fragment said:
I've been playing some 3S and HDR. Partly because I just need a break from SSF4, and partly because your execution has to be more precise in those games so hopefully it'll help me out when I go back to SSF4.

Nah, if you play 3s a lot you'll end up getting used to their super shortcuts, which will end up dickin you over for sf4. You'll be gettin ex seismos/uppercuts/etc. instead of ultras.

3s super shortcut - d,df,f,d,df
sf4 - d,df,d,df,f

You don't wanna adjust to another game's shortcut just to have to readjust to Supers. That's why when sf4 had just came out, you'd always see people doing SRK fadc SRK, because everyone was so used to the 3s shortcut at the time.

If you're looking for execution alone then you'll wanna stick to HDR or ST, mainly ST though. Outside of CvS2 that game probably has the hardest shit to do.

zon said:
I just saw this shit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOV67ynV7CI

I've never disliked FChamp, but I'm starting to wish bodily harm upon him. Have some fucking respect.

Well if you've seen the Filipino Champ interview with SRK, the exact opposite happened. Tokido bodied Champ in consecutive money matches and then he proceeds to blame America for losing because we have shitty Akuma's and couldn't properly prepare him for the match up :lol

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
haunts said:

Triumvir getting desperate :lol

I kid, I like them. If you haven't heard, the big bosses at Triumvir are moving on to bigger and better things. SF Alpha is their last collection. RIP Triumvir.

I think it was cool that there were "official" Street Fighter shirts but after buying the second round of shirts (from the Shadaloo Collection), I thought they were a bit lackluster, as they just took the official Capcom art and threw on maybe some Kanji and the Triumvir logo.

I like the Kineda joints. Or the one where it's a table top with SF characters as random things.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Protocol Snow said:
Triumvir getting desperate :lol

I kid, I like them. If you haven't heard, the big bosses at Triumvir are moving on to bigger and better things. SF Alpha is their last collection. RIP Triumvir.

No shit? I always wanted that Shadowloo jacket..

Rice-Eater said:
Well if you've seen the Filipino Champ interview with SRK, the exact opposite happened. Tokido bodied Champ in consecutive money matches and then he proceeds to blame America for losing because we have shitty Akuma's and couldn't properly prepare him for the match up :lol

what the hell

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Man, I hate playing ranked mode in fighting games. Nothing but lag and lag tactics. :/

Morris

Disco Devil
TaKeRx said:
Hello PS3 friends, I just recently double-dipped and need some friends on the PS3 version. I also keep hearing good things about a chat? My PSN Tag is xTaKeR. See you guys online.

Add me: FloydM7. Will send you and invite.

We really need some new faces in dat PSN GAF Chat. It used to be packed at late night but everyone stopped playing dat Super :l.

Where the hell is Gyrian?... Netflix is the devil ;_;

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'd play if you guys weren't playing at 9PM EST. :/ At least I can hold my own in Super Street 4, unlike Blazblue.

Morro! said:
Add me: FloydM7. Will send you and invite.

We really need some new faces in dat PSN GAF Chat. It used to be packed at late night but everyone stopped playing dat Super :l.

Where the hell is Gyrian?... Netflix is the devil ;_;

Add me, too. the_log_ride

I need to brush away the cobwebs. :)

haunts

Bacon of Hope
We're putting together a podcast with the owner of EventHubs to talk about the recent drama. He dosent want me on there but it will be a one on one with Pherai who will handle all the questions. Should be interesting.

We're going to try to get Maj on one too so he can talk more about the situation and where he plans to go in the future.

Axis

haunts said:
We're putting together a podcast with the owner of EventHubs to talk about the recent drama. He dosent want me on there but it will be a one on one with Pherai who will handle all the questions. Should be interesting.

We're going to try to get Maj on one too so he can talk more about the situation and where he plans to go in the future.

why wouldn't he want you on there? :(

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Axis said:
why wouldn't he want you on there? :(

Apparently he dosent "trust" me. I guess he knows I have issues with some of the content on the site and how its positioned and just general practices. I wasnt going to blow him up but instead try to be objective and just ask questions.

It is what it is though, I see where he is coming from I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom