• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axis

haunts said:
Apparently he dosent "trust" me. I guess he knows I have issues with some of the content on the site and how its positioned and just general practices. I wasnt going to blow him up but instead try to be objective and just ask questions.

It is what it is though, I see where he is coming from I guess.

makes sense, i suppose...but it sounds like mostly damage control from his end so he doesn't have to justify his actions :/

Jeff Stephen said:
So it seems the latest costume packs have all disappeared from the XBL marketplace.

Last page.

And can't wait to hear the podcast Haunts. I think it would be great with three segments. 1. Event Hubs. 2. Maj. 3. You and Pherai discussing it.

Papi

Oh. My bad. I totally paid for a costume pack that I got for free with the preorder. Oh well. :lol
One day I'll be drunk and buy the complete pack, even though I bought each one individually.

Rice-Eater said:
Well if you've seen the Filipino Champ interview with SRK, the exact opposite happened. Tokido bodied Champ in consecutive money matches and then he proceeds to blame America for losing because we have shitty Akuma's and couldn't properly prepare him for the match up :lol

If only he realized the reason why he beat Daigo was because of the matchup. Hell, he didn't even money match Sako's cammy because the matchup wasn't in his favor.

Let's see if he can prove me wrong at the Canada cup and blow everyone up. Wait, is he going?

Sucks that Art can't go. Really like his Sim.

KS Seven X said:
If only he realized the reason why he beat Daigo was because of the matchup. Hell, he didn't even money match Sako's cammy because the matchup wasn't in his favor.

Let's see if he can prove me wrong at the Canada cup and blow everyone up. Wait, is he going?

well he did blow everyone up at scr. that's how you win in a tournament. he beat ricky's rufus and justin's cammy. give him credit.

Filipino Champ played Ricky Ortiz's Rufus (which is a bad matchup for Sim).

He played Justin Wong's Cammy (which Wong used as a counter pick).

Who is to say he was in fear of Sako's Cammy?

FC was hot during the SCR weekend. He beat Daigo THREE times (best two out of three or three out of five). Except for a few elite Japanese players, who have that luxury or can claim that.

I'm not going to deny he's talking flagrant with the match throwing or talking slick when Tokido is walking away but you can't take away from his talent.

Spiderjericho said:
Filipino Champ played Ricky Ortiz's Rufus (which is a bad matchup for Sim).

He played Justin Wong's Cammy (which Wong used as a counter pick).

Who is to say he was in fear of Sako's Cammy?

FC was hot during the SCR weekend. He beat Daigo THREE times (best two out of three or three out of five). Except for a few elite Japanese players, who have that luxury or can claim that.

I'm not going to deny he's talking flagrant with the match throwing or talking slick when Tokido is walking away but you can't take away from his talent.

Wong's cammy was rusty and no way close to Sakos. Not only that, the reason why Sako used Fei, Ibuki, and Rose against FChamp was because he told sako he wouldn't money match him if he used cammy. That pretty much shows he's scared of playing against someone of the highest caliber using a character that's a bad match up.

Hell, he even said in that SRK interview that the only reason he loses, isn't because of skill but rather technicality (match ups).

KS Seven X said:
Hell, he even said in that SRK interview that the only reason he loses, isn't because of skill but rather technicality (match ups).

Yes, familiarity with them not the lame so in so is a 6-4 in the matchup. He said there aren't any good Akumas in America so someone like Tokido would blow him up.

The same can't be said for Daigo, Iyo and YMCMochi and who knows who else are great Dhalsims who could easily win tournaments in the states and he has the opportunity to play them.

The one thing people shouldn't be doing is denying this kid's skill or his victory. He was the best player last weekend.

You'll have to wait two weeks to see any salty runbacks of Vangief, Mike Ross, Justin Wong, Daigo, Ricky Ortiz, John Choi and whoever else versus Filipino Champ.

Spiderjericho said:
Yes, familiarity with them not the lame so in so is a 6-4 in the matchup. He said there aren't any good Akumas in America so someone like Tokido would blow him up.

The same can't be said for Daigo, Iyo and YMCMochi and who knows who else are great Dhalsims who could easily win tournaments in the states.

The one thing people shouldn't be doing is denying this kid's skill or his victory. He was the best player last weekend.

You'll have to wait two weeks to see any salty runbacks of Vangief, Mike Ross, Justin Wong, Daigo, Ricky Ortiz, John Choi and whoever else versus Filipino Champ.

I respect his skill, but his throwing of matches, him refusing to play money matches of characters he knows well, and saying he only loses because of technicalities makes me root against him. I didn't care that he didn't know the akuma matchup. Everyone knows the Japanese Akumas are on another level compared to Americas, but he then proceeded to say that the only reason why he loses to anyone (not talking solely about akuma anymore) was because of technicality.

When Art loses, at least he admits the other person blew him up and that it was his play that led to his lost. But FC? No way, it couldn't possibly be his skill. He has more skill than any player in the world.

Sorry for the rant, just salty at how he thinks he's never at fault. :lol One thing I can say though, at least his personality creates hype for tourneys and forums.

KS Seven X said:
I respect his skill, but his throwing of matches, him refusing to play money matches of characters he knows well, and saying he only loses because of technicalities makes me root against him. I didn't care that he didn't know the akuma matchup. Everyone knows the Japanese Akumas are on another level compared to Americas, but he then proceeded to say that the only reason why he loses to anyone (not talking solely about akuma anymore) was because of technicality.

When Art loses, at least he admits the other person blew him up and that it was his play that led to his lost. But FC? No way, it couldn't possibly be his skill. He has more skill than any player in the world.

Sorry for the rant, just salty at how he thinks he's never at fault. :lol One thing I can say though, at least his personality creates hype for tourneys and forums.

Let him do him. He wants to throw matches and sully his reputation, it's his choice. He obviously had to pay for it with his fellow NorCal players.

And there's nothing wrong with being confident in your skills. Daigo is the same way, we just don't speak his language to know. Daigo is also guilty of not playing console characters in money matches (not so much anymore but when IV was still very prevalent in the arcade before Super came out, he wouldn't).

Hopefully, Mago joins Daigo at NorCal or the Champ attends Canada Cup, where it looks like U.S. players have a bullseye on their back.

Spiderjericho said:

I think it's funny how more people care about Daigo getting second versus Ricky and Justin(who were said to be the best US players) not finishing in the big money.

And no one cares that Justin beat Vance convincingly this weekend and got over the gief matchup.

I know people rag on Gootecks for some perceived griminess and trying to "cash in" on SF4, but you can't deny him (and Mike Ross) are the most camera/radio friendly personalities in the entire fighting game community.

DryEyeRelief said:
And no one cares that Justin beat Vance convincingly this weekend and got over the gief matchup.

It was a technicality. I wonder if the next tourney OP will have for Ricky, Justin, Marn, Mike Ross, Valle, Choi "expect to see them everywhere, except for top three."

I think NorCal is going to be a great tournament. I wish Daigo wasn't attending so we can see who really reigns supreme in Cali.

And Tekno, I agree, Gootecks and Mike Ross are definitely marketable, likeable fighting-game personalities.

I was looking at that pro player thread in the Gaming section (since we're not allowed there) and wonder if fighting games will have $100,000 payouts or players who earned a half a million dollars from winning big tournaments.

"I was looking at that pro player thread in the Gaming section (since we're not allowed there) and wonder if fighting games will have $100,000 payouts or players who earned a half a million dollars from winning big tournaments."

Won't happen until fighting games get big, big sponsors. Mad Catz is doing their thing (and I respect the effort MarkMan and Co put into it) and MLG gets stuff like Slim Jim and Doritos, but Starcraft and FPSs get sponsored by massive tech companies like Intel, HP, etc. And those companies throw some serious cash behind it, especially in Korea.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Teknopathetic said:
I know people rag on Gootecks for some perceived griminess and trying to "cash in" on SF4, but you can't deny him (and Mike Ross) are the most camera/radio friendly personalities in the entire fighting game community.
James Chen too

Teknopathetic said:
"I was looking at that pro player thread in the Gaming section (since we're not allowed there) and wonder if fighting games will have $100,000 payouts or players who earned a half a million dollars from winning big tournaments."

Won't happen until fighting games get big, big sponsors. Mad Catz is doing their thing (and I respect the effort MarkMan and Co put into it) and MLG gets stuff like Slim Jim and Doritos, but Starcraft and FPSs get sponsored by massive tech companies like Intel, HP, etc. And those companies throw some serious cash behind it, especially in Korea.

SSF4 had a chance with MLG but Capcom ruined it. SSF4 is still massive however, and I expect Capcom to change their mind about MLG.

To me it seems like match ups are playing a bigger role then it has ever before regarding who wins Majors now. At SBR, Momochi's Ken faced Gamerbee's Adon, besides now knowing the match up Adon is also probably the 2nd worse match up for Shoto's. Daigo has been beaten 4 times lately at SBR and SCR, 3 times it was to 6/4 match ups in favor of his opponents. FC was able to win SCR despite facing to bad match ups. But he refused a money match against Sako's Cammy only to get blown up by his average Fei Long. If he goes to Canada Cup, he has no chance of winning it IMO unless someone takes out Mago the same way Wong took out Sako.

Basically I think the skill level gap has closed and now it's going back to match up types that could decide who wins big tournaments. Daigo and Justin use to blow up there bad match ups just because they were much better then everybody else. But the days of Wong and Daigo winning tournaments for free outside of Japan may be over. They'll struggle more to beat top players who play characters with advantages against there own or just because other top players can beat them regardless of the match up. Only time will tell though, Mago has to be the favorite going into Canada Cup. If it's not Mago, Wong, or Daigo winning it again then this could be the beginning of a new era.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, who's gonna have an Endless lobby tomorrow so Razor doesn't totally beat my face in?

DryEyeRelief said:
you weren't kidding about that sock thing

Ibuki was the first character I picked up in Super, and I only used her once tonight when we were trolling each other. Thus, 100% win ratio.

Rice-Eater said:
If it's not Mago, Wong, or Daigo winning it again then this could be the beginning of a new era.

SFIV is an easier game to learn, has more comeback potential, a lower execution barrier and exists in an era of massive information sharing. It has less to do with matchups and more to do with the fact that people are good at this game. There aren't any matchups so bad in this game that you can't blame it on anything but lack of skill. Daigo obviously learned a shit ton about fighting Dhalsim since he lost to art, but he still got beat because Flip outplayed him.

God's Beard said:
Daigo obviously learned a shit ton about fighting Dhalsim since he lost to art, but he still got beat because Flip outplayed him.

I don't necessarily buy that. We've seen Daigo struggle against every top Dhlasim's he's faced. Look at Gamerbee, he has consistently beaten Wong(The US's best player) as well as other top players, yet he can't beat Mike Ross's Honda and actually counterpicked Mr. SNK's Honda with Akuma at SCR because that's probably Adon's worse match up.

Of course it's not the end all be all, but it can really hurt your chances when you run into your counter and the guy playing the character is also really good.

Kimosabae

Banned
I don't think we'll see a consistent, dominant player in this game again, period. Maybe if the game congeals into something more rigid down the line - but right now, it's a slow-paced fighting game with a heavy emphasis on mixup potential. There's really no tangible way to control a match from beginning to end. Add also, as priorly mentioned, information sharing and the largess of the player base... I just can't see it happening, which is potential disappointing.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
For someone who is probably the most free people in this thread, he sure talks a lot.

TheSeks said:
So, who's gonna have an Endless lobby tomorrow so Razor doesn't totally beat my face in?

I'll try to play. I haven't touched the game (or any game really) since we last played.

Rice-Eater said:
I don't necessarily buy that. We've seen Daigo struggle against every top Dhlasim's he's faced. Look at Gamerbee, he has consistently beaten Wong(The US's best player) as well as other top players, yet he can't beat Mike Ross's Honda and actually counterpicked Mr. SNK's Honda with Akuma at SCR because that's probably Adon's worse match up.

Of course it's not the end all be all, but it can really hurt your chances when you run into your counter and the guy playing the character is also really good.

Of course he struggled, they're top fucking Dhalsims. Look, I'm not saying that every matchup is 5-5, but you're making it sound like some of this shit is unwinnable and Daigo can't beat Dhalsim. He's beaten Art as many times as he's lost, but every time he loses, it's because the matchup is bad, there's nothing Daigo could do, nerf Dhalsim because Daigo wouldn't lose to anyone if the game were balanced. This shit comes up all the time and it bugs the hell out of me.

If you're more comfortable fighting certain characters with certain characters, go ahead, pick half the cast. Just don't blame me when you lose 6-4 matchups with a side character because you're only fighting at 80% of your potential.

Kadey said:
For someone who is probably the most free people in this thread, he sure talks a lot.

Do you mean me? I'm pretty free.

chriskun

holy shit FC is such a fucking dork "im feeling great, checked my facebook this morning and had like 96 friend requests" haha, what a douche.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
God's Beard said:
Do you mean me? I'm pretty free.

Nope. He knows who he is. That's all he can do. Talk. Stay free.

P.S shoutouts to Art not being able to sleep because of something. :lol

God's Beard said:
Of course he struggled, they're top fucking Dhalsims. Look, I'm not saying that every matchup is 5-5, but you're making it sound like some of this shit is unwinnable and Daigo can't beat Dhalsim. He's beaten Art as many times as he's lost, but every time he loses, it's because the matchup is bad, there's nothing Daigo could do, nerf Dhalsim because Daigo wouldn't lose to anyone if the game were balanced. This shit comes up all the time and it bugs the hell out of me.

If you're more comfortable fighting certain characters with certain characters, go ahead, pick half the cast. Just don't blame me when you lose 6-4 matchups with a side character because you're only fighting at 80% of your potential.

I'm not trying to make excuses for anybody if that's what you're implying. Before anybody faces there opponent we look at the character match up and say "he'll probably beat him, but not him". For GGO2, most of us were thinking Mochi will probably beat Daigo and Momochi but lose to Mago, Uryo, and Sako and that's pretty much what happened. It's not the absolute, just that it factors into the equation more then it did in the past.

What I am saying, is that the skill level has closed and character match ups matter more. Yeah, that means that I don't think the Beast is that much better then the other top players now and he won't be bodying his bad match ups(or his even match ups) like he use to. And that goes for everybody else to.

As for me, I stick with my mains regardless of the match up. I'm a scrub anyways, counterpicking won't do jack for me. That's just my opinion of the current state of high level tournament play.

DryEyeRelief said:
Spiderjericho won't let go of the tokido not being in top 3 thing.

I let it go. Tokido is not even in the country anymore. Kadey is and she's hotter than Tokido or that one dude who dresses up like a girl. So as long as I can be #1 in the tournament of her heart, we good.

Man, I wish Capcom would come out with SSFIV for PC (seeing as how they came out with Dark Void, DMC4, Dead Rising 2, etc).

Also Saturn pad>Fightpad (maybe it's the size).

Kimosabae said:
That'd be pretty funny were she talking about me, considering I've never made any claims regarding my talent at this game.

And I never made any claim to being an expert, pro gamer. I just play for fun here and there (I don't really have the time to play as much as I want to with school and having to teach).

hitsugi said:
have to mention that the only reason this happened is because Sako agreed to not play Cammy.

He still won MM because of a technicality. And he had some sick frame traps with Dudley. I wonder if this trip will spur him to return to the arcades with AE, since a good chunk of the Japanese players will be moving to AE.

Just speaking strictly from an observers standpoint.. game throwing and avoiding bad matchups is weaaak sauce. The same flack would be given to anyone (ie Daigo refusing Dhalsim money matches because it is bad for him) or excuses of a loss because they don't know a certain match. While I thought alot of Mike Watson's views were kind of dated I do see his points now.. people content on being 'Daigo killer' (yet not placing top 8) or just winning the money but being not the best at the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom