• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kimosabae said:
That'd be pretty funny were she talking about me, considering I've never made any claims regarding my talent at this game.

Maybe she's talking about me. But what should I do? Should I keep my opinions to myself? Should I only talk when my hand is raised and I'm called upon? Seriously, what should I do? Should I admit that I mash SRK on wake up? Should I just confess to be a Daigo fanboy who gets on Eventhubs to defend his honor? Should I be who you want me to be?

Rice-Eater said:
What I am saying, is that the skill level has closed and character match ups matter more. Yeah, that means that I don't think the Beast is that much better then the other top players now and he won't be bodying his bad match ups(or his even match ups) like he use to. And that goes for everybody else to.

Well, Daigo got as good as he did because he chose a character he believed he could beat everyone with and stuck with him. I actually think that at the top level of play the matchups matter the least. At that point, every player has had so many thousands of hours of practice and so much knowledge about their character that there isn't any excuse. Unless a character is outright stupid, it's just a different type of adaptive skill. Daigo might have beaten Filipino Champ if it was a FT10, for instance. Or maybe if he slept better. Being the better player means dealing with the situation at hand more than anything, especially than playing with theories.

hitsugi

Spiderjericho said:
He still won MM because of a technicality. And he had some sick frame traps with Dudley. I wonder if this trip will spur him to return to the arcades with AE, since a good chunk of the Japanese players will be moving to AE.

oh I know.. he beat him with his 2 day Fei Long or whatever that was, and his supposed 24 hour Dudley (wouldn't surprise me) was also looking good. The greater point is for someone that does a lot of talking, dodging bad match ups and boasting about winning when you're on the favorable side of one is kind of silly.

Kimosabae

Banned
Rice-Eater said:
Maybe she's talking about me. But what should I do? Should I keep my opinions to myself? Should I only talk when my hand is raised and I'm called upon? Seriously, what should I do? Should I admit that I mash SRK on wake up? Should I just confess to be a Daigo fanboy who gets on Eventhubs to defend his honor? Should I be who you want me to be?

alg_donuts.jpg

Rice-Eater said:

:lol :lol

LeGold.

I'm dying to see Iyo's Ibuki at a tournament.

@God's Beard-o, I disagree. I think match ups come into play now since the gap is getting closer between Japan's top players and US players. The match ups on the tier list the japanese came up with match results with great accuracy. For instance, Daigo losing to Sims. The only times he wins, it feels like it goes to the last game and he pulled off some amazing shit (against Art and Mochi). Or how Art always beats Valle. It's not an excuse... it's a reason. And you take it like a man since you chose to main that particular character. I think you can tell whether a player was outskilled or when the match up didn't favor him. If say, Daigo lost to Mochi 10-3, you can say Mochi was on another level. Or if Daigo wins 10-7 you can say Daigo was on another level.

It's why I think Mago is the better player currently in comparison to Daigo. He made that look free 10-3 and the match up certainly isn't as bad as Mago made it look. The more current example is the Wong and FChamp match at SCR. Wong chose cammy, but his Cammy's skill was clearly not at the level of FChamp's Sim. At that point you can say Champ outskilled Wong.

It's kind of good though. It keeps everyone on their heels, and a lot of characters are tourney viable now. The last majors have had a cammy, ryu, dhalsim, adon, rufus, and fei long win tourneys.

zon

Rice-Eater said:
Well if you've seen the Filipino Champ interview with SRK, the exact opposite happened. Tokido bodied Champ in consecutive money matches and then he proceeds to blame America for losing because we have shitty Akuma's and couldn't properly prepare him for the match up :lol

Yeah I know, I saw the interview first and then that video. The fact that tokido perfected him on the big screen in front of everyone was made so much sweeter after I saw FC talk shit in that video.

simtmb

Drop this matchup and FC talk, and get hype for Canada Cup fellas! :D

Very interested to see how Mago performs, as well as JSMaster and Air.

simtmb

Starts soon enough xD. Damn, with so many good tournaments in a row, makes me really want to start competing and take my game further.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
*Peeks in*

I just double-dipped on PS3 and am finding it a lot less laggy than 360 for some reason...

Any Euro-GAFfers up for a scrap feel free to add B-Genius on PSN (say something cool in the message so I know you're a GAF bro/chick).

God's Beard said:
SFIV is an easier game to learn, has more comeback potential, a lower execution barrier and exists in an era of massive information sharing.

Dhalsim may not be execution heavy, but the attention to spacing, the constant reads that need to be made in order to use the right poke (with a stacked risk/reward) JUST to keep an opponent out for one more second, and the proper usage of fireballs are WAY harder than anything you had to do in 3s. You can bring up parry videos or what not, but that's nothing but blunt memorization, not decision making.

The ease of learning SF4 doesn't really affect high level play. And even then, it's not like it affects Filipino Champ since he came from a MvC2 background, a game whose upper level execution barriers make 3s look like a walk in the park.

ALSO CALLIN IT RIGHT NOW!

J-Wong to win Canada Cup!

B-Genius said:
*Peeks in*

I just double-dipped on PS3 and am finding it a lot less laggy than 360 for some reason...

Any Euro-GAFfers up for a scrap feel free to add B-Genius on PSN (say something cool in the message so I know you're a GAF bro/chick).
Does Europe have more PTriplez than Xboxen? Could be why.

I'm probably going to miss the Canada Cup due to group projects and such this weekend. Glad Spooky is streaming because he's really good about uploading the youtubes.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Why are we still talking about Sako vs Champ.

FindMyFarms said:
Nah, if you play 3s a lot you'll end up getting used to their super shortcuts, which will end up dickin you over for sf4. You'll be gettin ex seismos/uppercuts/etc. instead of ultras.

3s super shortcut - d,df,f,d,df
sf4 - d,df,d,df,f

You don't wanna adjust to another game's shortcut just to have to readjust to Supers. That's why when sf4 had just came out, you'd always see people doing SRK fadc SRK, because everyone was so used to the 3s shortcut at the time.

If you're looking for execution alone then you'll wanna stick to HDR or ST, mainly ST though. Outside of CvS2 that game probably has the hardest shit to do.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

There are just certain things I can't do that seem simple in comparison to other things I do, but I can't get those things down no matter how much I practice or change how I hold the stick or whatever. It drives me crazy.

Rice-Eater said:
If it's not Mago, Wong, or Daigo winning it again then this could be the beginning of a new era.

Maybe in the American scene. But as far as comparing America's skill level to Japan's goes...I think we need to wait until Super's been out in arcades for a while. The gap between America and Japan is definitely much smaller than it used to be tho.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Kadey said:
Nope. He knows who he is. That's all he can do. Talk. Stay free.

She obviously means me, guys. ;)

Kadey said:
I'll try to play. I haven't touched the game (or any game really) since we last played.

We'll probably be playing on PSN around 12-2PM. Depending on whenever Razor pops up. I just gotta hold off on my NaNo writing until he's done with Balrog.

haunts said:
everything is getting out of hand.

Says the Grandmaster of hype who throws out A, N, F, S and whatever other bombs on his streams. Whenever I watch an IPW stream I want to go punch an old lady in the WWWWWW. I want to push a kid down an escalator. It's hype.

So execution wise...hmm...who is harder Dhalsim or Necro since they're spiritually related?

And Canada Cup doesn't start until tomorrow. :(

FMF, made a safe bet. But who knows what dangerous killers are in the Canadian wilderness.

BTW, let's all behave like Gentlemen.

Solune

FindMyFarms said:
ALSO CALLIN IT RIGHT NOW!

J-Wong to win Canada Cup!
I don't know Farms, Mago making everyone look free. Of course I'll be rooting for local BC boys and such.
_dementia said:
i hate to bring up the "derp links r hard" discussion again, but for the life of me i can't get ibuki's cr.jab, jab, forward xx tatsu down :/
Which part are you having a hard time link? if its jab > forward, you might be doing close s.jab instead of far s.jab which doesn't link into forward.

USD

Spiderjericho said:
What's Tokido saying about American players?
They were talking about American players that are popular/known in Japan. He mentioned Justin and Sextaro (3S Makoto player). People in the chat cited Marn, Ricky, and Valle.

Apparently was very impressed with Keno. Not surprising, he's probably the best Rog on the West Coast, and quite a bit more interesting to watch than the vast majority of Boxer players in the Land of a Thousand Balrogs. :lol

Axis

_dementia said:
i hate to bring up the "derp links r hard" discussion again, but for the life of me i can't get ibuki's cr.jab, jab, forward xx tatsu down :/

do c.lp->c.lp->s.lp->s.mk

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Cromulent_Word said:
yeah... the 2 great gen users were one of my favorite parts of vanilla

Jibbo is taking a good-sized break from SF.

that said, they nerfed Gen hard enough in Super that no one wanted to play him. He needs new tools.

XenoRaven

Tokido has been one of my favorite players ever since someone here posted that video of him playing against Daigo online and he did his own commentary while playing. I didn't know what he was saying but I know he was excited when he did blocked sweep into Raging Demon.

XenoRaven said:
Tokido has been one of my favorite players ever since someone here posted that video of him playing against Daigo online and he did his own commentary while playing. I didn't know what he was saying but I know he was excited when he did blocked sweep into Raging Demon.

That was great... Should I do it? Should I do it?! HOLY SHIT IT WORKED

kitzkozan

USD said:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/godsgarden

Broadcasting from Tokyo Game Night.

-JP stream monsters hate Filipino Champ (not surprising in the least :lol).
-Tokido rated Jayce the Ace as just below Tonpy in overall skill.
-Tokido was having problems pulling off Scarlet Terror during the HDR tourney.

Who's Tonpy?

And Jayce the ace is that 15/16 years old prodigy Viper player right?

Also,that video showcasing some cool stuff with Gen=awesome.There is definitively hope for Gen in AE if they buff his ability to generate meter or jumping arc.I expect some buffs for him since he's incredibly rare and because he was overnerfed for no proper reason.Looking forward to a couple of high level japanese player fully developing Gen. :D

Solune said:
I don't know Farms, Mago making everyone look free. Of course I'll be rooting for local BC boys and such.

I think it's anyone's game, as I don't think there's a consistently dominant player right now.

I certainly don't miss the vanilla days when Wong constantly won every US tourney.

USD

XenoRaven said:
Too bad the video link died.
kitzkozan said:
Who's Tonpy?

And Jayce the ace is that 15/16 years old prodigy Viper player right?
Tonpy is probably the third best Viper in Japan, after Uryo and Dashio. He beat Uryo in a mirror match during the GGO#2 qualifiers (though he failed too qualify for the next round).

Yeah, Jayce is the Viper who sent Tokido to the loser's bracket during SCR. Tokido got his revenge in loser's, however.

Kimosabae

Banned
BotoxAgent said:

I certainly don't miss the vanilla days when Wong constantly won every US tourney.

I do. Not happy with the state of affairs regarding this game, from both a spectator and competitive perspective. I have no idea who to root against, because it seems like anyone can lose to anyone in this game, ATM. Very few potential matches have any weight to them because of this (and there seems to be very few real rivalries in this game atm). Considering Daigo and Wong's current track record, who would they have to lose to for it be considered an upset? Me? Assuming I go?

*shrug*

From a competitive perspective there's no top dog to chase to keep me focused. If things stay this way, best I can hope for is to become another card, shuffled among others in an elite deck.

Tokido retiring? Really? Can't these guys just say they're going to take a break or spend less time instead of "retiring". I just can't see them really retiring. If Tokido does leave the game, I do see him eventually coming back. Oh and this is the video that introduced me to Tokido. I guess America didn't know about Urien's unblockable Aegis set up at the time because the crowd went nuts at what they were seeing. Wong apparently had no idea either as he was content to let Tokido build meter the first round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIXG6resxD4

Good luck to the Murder Face though. May he have success in whatever he plans on doing next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom