• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kimosabae said:
From a competitive perspective there's no top dog to chase to keep me focused. If things stay this way, best I can hope for is to become another card, shuffled among others in an elite deck.

I'm going to point out that perhaps your sights maybe a little lofty. Nothing wrong with desiring to defeat Wong, Daigo, Luffy, Gamerbee, Laugh, etc.

But if you go to a local tournament, I'm sure you might run into some pretty good players. So the chase would be to consistently win against those players. Than move onto regional tournaments.

Also, GAF has quite a few good players that play online like Vegeta, Eva, Max, Haunts, FMF, DBJ, Micvlad, etc.

Rice-Eater said:
I guess America didn't know about Urien's unblockable Aegis set up at the time because the crowd went nuts at what they were seeing. Wong apparently had no idea either as he was content to let Tokido build meter the first round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIXG6resxD4

Aah, Evo 2K2. Japan vs. USA.

I was just listening to James Chen on the Original Gamer Podcast. And MAN...I remember the hype from altsf2 (I use to lurk on there) when Valle played Daigo the first time.

Or when Choi and Valle sought revenge and flew to Japan. This is when American players were introduced to Japanese sticks and jet lag.

And then Evo 2K2. I think I'll watch it right now. Man, the video is terrible. Before direct feed. No commentary either.

Nuki, KSK, Tokido, Mester and Chiqyuu vs. Wong, JR Rodriguez, Mike Watson, Valle and George Posada.

Whoo, I didn't know you could combo after Fei Long's overhead :D

Time to add another signature combo to my repertoire:

Fei Long:
jMK, clMP, cRH
f+MK, cLP xx Rekkas
Anti-hadoken kara taunt 5(dodges next fireball)

Dudley:
F+RH, RH xx EX MGB
LK xx MK, LP, RH xx Fierce MGB

Ibuki:
clRH, Ultra 1

What are combos/setups that you guys consider your signature, stuff that pretty much only you do/make as central as you do.

Kimosabae said:
I do. Not happy with the state of affairs regarding this game, from both a spectator and competitive perspective. I have no idea who to root against, because it seems like anyone can lose to anyone in this game, ATM. Very few potential matches have any weight to them because of this (and there seems to be very few real rivalries in this game atm). Considering Daigo and Wong's current track record, who would they have to lose to for it be considered an upset? Me? Assuming I go?

*shrug*

From a competitive perspective there's no top dog to chase to keep me focused. If things stay this way, best I can hope for is to become another card, shuffled among others in an elite deck.

I see where you're coming from. Well, we're still pretty early in the game's life cycle. Maybe with the new AE changes and the coming arcade scene will shape the competition a bit more.

I feel like I have played every random xbox player online in US, lol. A lot of the random matches I played last night, most of my opponents would remember me and say hi.

BotoxAgent said:
I see where you're coming from. Well, we're still pretty early in the game's life cycle. Maybe with the new AE changes and the coming arcade scene will shape the competition a bit more.

And I hope we get AE and stick with that iteration for a long while.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I met this Abel player online who kept trying cr.lp, cr.lp, cr.hp on me but it never worked (I assumed he wanted it to combo + juggle). Does this work at all? If so, how come no one's been using it?

Also, you can't go from cr.lp to cr.mp right?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Had a Dudley do his forward dash thing on wakeup and it made my karakusa whiff.

Hope they fix that kind of thing in AE. Shit's dumb. Or maybe that has invincibility and I just wasn't aware. Iuno.

Kimosabae said:
Only if you're playing Makoto.

I might pull out Viper for shotos and Sagats, but I dunno. I don't like Viper much anymore and my Viper is pretty ass these days anyway since I haven't played her a lot lately.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
-=throws beer bottle at haunts=-

I'll play late tonight when I get home Seks. I have somewhere to go first.

I just noticed this thread is in the online section. Duuuuuuurrr. :lol And Black Vegeta is banned again? :lol

How come BB thread is still in gaming section?

Rocwell

Yoshichan said:
I met this Abel player online who kept trying cr.lp, cr.lp, cr.hp on me but it never worked (I assumed he wanted it to combo + juggle). Does this work at all? If so, how come no one's been using it?

He might have been going for cr lp, cr lp, close standing hard punch canceled into COD and messed it up but I don't know how that works with the pushback. It seems plausible that he didn't know what he was doing.

Lost Fragment said:
Had a Dudley do his forward dash thing on wakeup and it made my karakusa whiff.

Hope they fix that kind of thing in AE. Shit's dumb. Or maybe that has invincibility and I just wasn't aware. Iuno.
Same thing happens to me when I fight Adon not infrequently.

Yoshichan said:

cr.LP to cr.HP does not work at all (but cr. LP to standing HP works and you see Abels to that into BnB)
cr.LP to cr.MP works on counter hit

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Kadey said:
How come BB thread is still in gaming section?

Doesn't move as fast for the mods to notice. Niche animu game and all.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
_dementia said:
cr.LP to cr.HP does not work at all (but cr. LP to standing HP works and you see Abels to that into BnB)
Damn it, I just wish he could do cr.lp, cr.lp into standing HP. Just one cr. lp isn't enough hit confirm for me to react on the rest of the BnB :(

Fuuuuuuuuuuck! And I absolutely HATE far st.HP with Abel. Such a terrible move.

kitzkozan

Kimosabae said:
I do. Not happy with the state of affairs regarding this game, from both a spectator and competitive perspective. I have no idea who to root against, because it seems like anyone can lose to anyone in this game, ATM. Very few potential matches have any weight to them because of this (and there seems to be very few real rivalries in this game atm). Considering Daigo and Wong's current track record, who would they have to lose to for it be considered an upset? Me? Assuming I go?

*shrug*

Can see where you are coming from,but I prefer the SSFIV tournament scene to vanilla by a mile.

Far more player have stepped up their game and quite frankly,both Daigo and Wong could become incredibly boring to watch after a certain point.

I think it was Haunt who once said: yawn,seems like every tournament have been the same lately.It was Wong steamrolling the comp with the very boring Rufus or Daigo destroying everything in his sight with the fireball/super trap and numerous trade into ultra or even the infamous Sagat zoning his way toward domination in Japan.

hitsugi

wow, just watched a compilation vid of Uryo's Sakura.. haven't played her since vanilla but she was looking damn good and without relying on those stupid walk under resets.

kitzkozan said:
I think it was Haunt who once said: yawn,seems like every tournament have been the same lately.It was Wong steamrolling the comp with the very boring Rufus or Daigo destroying everything in his sight with the fireball/super trap and numerous trade into ultra

uhh what? those were stupid aspects of vanilla ryu, but trade into ultra didn't give daigo a win in every match. I don't even remember a match involving trades. And what makes rufus boring as opposed to the the cammys we see today? Both Daigo and Justin play those characters with incredible insight and ability that I don't see from anyone else.

I do agree with other players stepping it up to give competition, however you just don't like seeing their characters because you don't have appreciation for the players beyond that. Justin using a half-assed Makoto and Daigo using a half-assed Hakan would be better for you.

Satyamdas

Banned
Kimosabae said:

*shrug*

The bolded confuses me. So you are saying you root for players based on their likelihood of winning? That matches are only interesting if there is some chance of an upset? Why can't matches with great play from both players be enough?

I dunno, that just sounds weird to me. I root for players based on their character, their style of play, their personality, etc. All sorts of factors make matches interesting to me. I thought it was cool to see Justin and Daigo win a lot even if I hate Rufus and am not really entertained by Ryu SRK FADC Ultra #2679302, but I also am liking how varied the results are lately because there is so much good play with different characters going on.

Needing a "top dog" to chase and keep you focused is just nonsensical, since it is quite likely that the top 8 at any recent tourney will clean your clock for free. What need is there for a "special" top player when there are so many others all at that elite level?

Kimosabae

Banned
Satyamdas said:
The bolded confuses me. So you are saying you root for players based on their likelihood of winning? That matches are only interesting if there is some chance of an upset? Why can't matches with great play from both players be enough?

I dunno, that just sounds weird to me. I root for players based on their character, their style of play, their personality, etc. All sorts of factors make matches interesting to me. I thought it was cool to see Justin and Daigo win a lot even if I hate Rufus and am not really entertained by Ryu SRK FADC Ultra #2679302, but I also am liking how varied the results are lately because there is so much good play with different characters going on.

They often times are. Doesn't mean that matches where reputations are at stake aren't more exciting to watch. There's nothing strange about this.

With that said, while the reputations of many of these players in regards to talent will change little, their reputations in regards to winning clearly are. If that reputation diminishes enough, a random beating Daigo does not become exciting. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see something like that over the weekend considering it's freaking Canada.

Consistent winners in a competitive scene give chasers reason to believe there's integrity behind the mechanics/rules of the game they're competing in. When a different player is winning every tournament (or an increasingly wide range of different players in a subset), the game's integrity becomes questionable when people start doubting any one player can become the definitive "best" and lowers the incentive to compete. If players can't deduce a consistent strategy for winning; why play?

I'm not saying this is where SSF4 is headed, but I believe they are legitimate issues worth raising and discussing, considering the scattershot performances of notable players, and the new faces being elevated everyday. Yes, comp is tighter. Yes, info is more accessible. Does not follow that there aren't other aspects of the phenomenon to consider.

Needing a "top dog" to chase and keep you focused is just nonsensical, since it is quite likely that the top 8 at any recent tourney will clean your clock for free. What need is there for a "special" top player when there are so many others all at that elite level?

People have different motivations for competing and different means for achieving. Are you really shitting on my philosophy for success right now? Because that's what you're doing, and it's petty. Not that I find this offensive, nor will it do a lick to change my approach, mind you. It's just that your emotional desire to build and destroy is quite obvious here.

"Consistent winners in a competitive scene give chasers reason to believe there's integrity behind the mechanics/rules of the game they're competing in."

Chasers can't figure that out for themselves?

"When a different player is winning every tournament (or an increasingly wide range of different players in a subset), the game's integrity becomes questionable when people start doubting any one player can become the definitive "best" and lowers the incentive to compete. If players can't deduce a consistent strategy for winning; why play? "

Sane people don't question the integrity of a game just because the competition is stiff at the highest level. Absurd.

People deduce consistent strategies for winning and then people search and figure out strategies to beat the previous winning strategies. If there's only one winning strategy that's when the integrity of the game should be questioned.

TheSeks

Razor210 said:
After not playing for 3 weeks, my Balrog is not as scrubby as I thought it would be.

No, that'd be me.

Who won a round until I remade that room. EAT IT.

I really need to sit down and play some more. But it doesn't help that Rocwell's room was red bars all over the place. Some of the games I was in during those three hours was slightly damn near slide shows. WTF Capcom. :|

I forgot how much I like playing Cody. That said, I should go back to his challenges and reprogram myself to the "switching directions fast" shit that his challenges try to drill into you. Not too sure how successful I'd be, what playing on a DS3 and not a stick and all...

GG Floyd, Roc, Razor, and Hatchet. Even if I had no way of winning with guessing between lag and trying to defend.

Kimosabae

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"Consistent winners in a competitive scene give chasers reason to believe there's integrity behind the mechanics/rules of the game they're competing in."

Chasers can't figure that out for themselves?

Theoretically, yes. But in practice they don't.

Sane people don't question the integrity of a game just because the competition is stiff at the highest level. Absurd.

When you say "sane", I'm going to assume you're being colloquial, and that you don't actually assume the counterposition to be "insane". Because you'd be calling all those individuals who misperceive rock-paper-scissors and certain card games to be "random" and without integrity, literally, insane. Perception is my point, here, and it plays a large role in the longevity of a game's competitive lifespan. It could simply be that competition is tight, but to say people don't actually do this questioning is "absurd". People dismissing SSF4 as a "pokerfest" should be evidence enough of this.

People deduce consistent strategies for winning and then people search and figure out strategies to beat the previous winning strategies. If there's only one winning strategy that's when the integrity of the game should be questioned.

Agreed?

*shrug*

*edit*

Okay, I see your point, here. Maybe you're right.

Morris

Disco Devil
TheSeks said:
No, that'd be me.

Who won a round until I remade that room. EAT IT.

I really need to sit down and play some more. But it doesn't help that Rocwell's room was red bars all over the place. Some of the games I was in during those three hours was slightly damn near slide shows. WTF Capcom. :|

I forgot how much I like playing Cody. That said, I should go back to his challenges and reprogram myself to the "switching directions fast" shit that his challenges try to drill into you. Not too sure how successful I'd be, what playing on a DS3 and not a stick and all...

GG Floyd, Roc, Razor, and Hatchet. Even if I had no way of winning with guessing between lag and trying to defend.

FYI, I play on a Sixaxis ;)

GGs PSN GAF, chat was quite packed tonight...

TheSeks

Morro! said:
FYI, I play on a Sixaxis ;)

Floyd, right? You weren't too bad for a pad player. That Cody Ultra 1. :(

I like 2's animation a lot more and generally (generally) I can get it to connect. I really need to throw it out on normal pokes and shit better, but the games tonight I'd see a poke/start of a poke. Throw it out and suddenly it's block and not EAT ULTRA TIME. :(

But yeah, Cody's challenges require some quick changing directions which "levels up" Cody's play, but I can't get into that mode. I abuse the hell out of Ruffian Kicks and Criminal Uppers. Which may/may not work at times.

Satyamdas

Banned
Kimosabae said:
People have different motivations for competing and different means for achieving. Are you really shitting on my philosophy for success right now? Because that's what you're doing, and it's petty. Not that I find this offensive, nor will it do a lick to change my approach, mind you. It's just that your emotional desire to build and destroy is quite obvious here.
Persecution complex much? Look dude, I'm not being emotional, nor do I want to change your philosophies or approach to playing. All I said was that I find needing a special lone "top dog" to help you focus or chase to be nonsensical since the Top 8 of any major tourney is in effect 8 "top dogs" for you to chase, as it is very likely that any one of them could beat you with ease. I guess this is where we view the game completely differently, as I see variegated results and winners as evidence of the integrity of the game, while you insinuate the opposite.

Kimosabae said:
Consistent winners in a competitive scene give chasers reason to believe there's integrity behind the mechanics/rules of the game they're competing in. When a different player is winning every tournament (or an increasingly wide range of different players in a subset), the game's integrity becomes questionable when people start doubting any one player can become the definitive "best" and lowers the incentive to compete. If players can't deduce a consistent strategy for winning; why play?
People's doubts about a definitive "best" player at any given game has absolutely nothing to do with a game's integrity. I don't care if that is just someone's perception, because that is a matter of opinion and a pretty weak and ill-informed one. As Tek said, the game's integrity will only be called into question if there is only one winning strategy and it cannot be overcome. This is far from the case with SSF4, and in my opinion only serves to validate the integrity of the game.

If there is no agreed upon "best" player, and someone different seems to be winning every tourney, why can that not act as a catalyst for a player to decide "Hey, I want to be conisdered the best, I will therefore endeavor to win various tournaments"?? Why does it automatically result in players hanging their heads and questioning the integrity of the game? Seems to me that would be the attitude of a player with a rather defeatist viewpoint. (Not saying you are this defeatist player, just an example)

AZ Greg

Kimosabae said:
With that said, while the reputations of many of these players in regards to talent will change little, their reputations in regards to winning clearly are. If that reputation diminishes enough, a random beating Daigo does not become exciting. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see something like that over the weekend considering it's freaking Canada.

I'm not saying this is where SSF4 is headed, but I believe they are legitimate issues worth raising and discussing, considering the scattershot performances of notable players, and the new faces being elevated everyday. Yes, comp is tighter. Yes, info is more accessible. Does not follow that there aren't other aspects of the phenomenon to consider.

Tek responded to this well, but I want to add the way I see it. I really got into poker towards the end of High School/beginning of College when it blew up in popularity. As I got more into SF4 I noticed a lot of similarities (Of course poker does have more luck to it than SF) and posted about it at least once in the Vanilla thread. From reads, setups, and measuring risk vs. reward to offline/online play being extremely similar to live poker with real money vs. online poker with fake money, in terms of intelligent play when something is on the line vs. when nothing is on the line. Now it's starting to look like the scene is even going a similar route.

Poker always had its big yearly events and its group of pros who always participated, and generally dominated, with a mix of "normal" people who would enter and give it a shot. When poker exploded it wasn't because a poker pro won his 5th huge event in a row or something like that. It was because a normal average dude beat the pros and won. That feeling of anyone can do it is why it took off shortly after. I think the recent results could lead to something similar with SSF4. With other names winning, and it becoming apparent that tournaments here aren't free for Daigo, people will be more confident to learn, train, and then play rather then feel like nothing more than a pot monster if they did enter.

This is also in no way a "black eye" on the integrity of the game. If anything, it only goes to show how balanced the game is and that there isn't one strategy you can learn, ride to the top, and then stay there with.

As for the reputations of pro players if they continue to lose to "randoms"? They'll be fine as long as 2 things continue to happen: 1.) They consistently play/place solidly in big tournaments (Even if they don't necessarily win many or any) and 2.) Keep doing those "pro-like" things. With regards to the first point, Mike Ross might still be chasing the big one, but he still has a following that would lead you to believe he has won almost as much as Daigo. This is obviously partly due to his personality (Which is another way pros can remain relevant even if "randoms" are winning the big events) but it's also due to his consistently solid play. As tournaments get larger like they have since this fighting game resurgence, consistently finishing well in major tournaments is almost as impressive, if not more than, as winning one big one. And with regards to the second point, sure Gamerbee may have won the Ohio tournament (Not sure if he's considered a "random" or out of nowhere anymore) and FChamp won SCR (Who isn't a "random" or out of nowhere either), but the thing I'll remember most about the last few months is Daigo's cr.fierce xx super on Art's Sim. If pros keep doing "pro-like" stuff like that then their reputations will be fine even if they aren't dominating every event.

I respect your opinion and your desire for there to be a top dog to shoot for, but I think most people would rather have parity. Or at least the opportunity for parity if you put the work in. Though if I were strictly going to spectate SSF4 then maybe a new face winning every tournament would get boring. But if you're into the game beyond spectating then I don't see how this is anything but exciting.

All that said, I sorta touched on it, but it isn't like "randoms" are winning yet. Unless you consider Gamerbee and FChamp to be "randoms." :lol

That in itself touched on something spooky said.

Why do you have to consistently place top 3-5 to be considered good and anything else makes you ass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom