• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AkumaHokoru said:
That in itself touched on something spooky said.

Why do you have to consistently place top 3-5 to be considered good and anything else makes you ass?

Some people have the attitude of what you have done lately instead of perspective.

Instead of looking at a pool of 1,000+ and saying, this person placed 8th or higher, they're like how come so and so hasn't won a major tournament, etc. Daigo did poor in on U.S. tournament and GGO2 and all of a sudden, he's terrible or has to prove himself instead of having the attitude of you can't always win.

Morro! said:
FYI, I play on a Sixaxis ;)

Damn, you do all those Dudley combos on a Sixaxis? Even if you're execution is not as good as you want it to be, still that's pretty sick. Whenever I'm over at my cousins house and we play SSF4, I whine like a little girl because I'm stuck using a DS3. Especially if we go online and face random people. I'm bitching all day that I would have won if I had my stick.

Satyamdas

Banned
God's Beard said:
GGs to everyone tonight in the endless battle. Especially to Satyamdas, even though I lost, I feel like that last fight was one of my best as Dudley.
Yeah man, great games actually. That sweep x 3 in the corner was pretty GDLK. If the wait wasn't so long I would've whipped out my scrubby Sak :3 Maybe next time

N4Us

I was chilling in a Replay room earlier and to my surprise, a match with TS Sabin's Rose popped up. Beastly to watch.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Kadey said:
Seks. Where are you?!

Shoutouts to falling asleep.

No wonder you didn't show up in PSN GAFEndless. :lol

I was there in Endless, I didn't see your post until an hour in or so. I tried to invite you and you were offline or something. :/

Rice-Eater said:
Damn, you do all those Dudley combos on a Sixaxis? Even if you're execution is not as good as you want it to be, still that's pretty sick. Whenever I'm over at my cousins house and we play SSF4, I whine like a little girl because I'm stuck using a DS3. Especially if we go online and face random people. I'm bitching all day that I would have won if I had my stick.

Well, it's not like it's playing on a pad is impossible... I'm sure I could I better if I stopped playing like a spazz and going for CU/slide/CU/slide...

That and the DS3/Six-axis wasn't so damn small... Having to contort my hands at times, FTL.

Mœbius

Kinda off topic, but just wanted to say that I've been hanging out with Gamerbee tonight and having a blast; we're currently in a game center playing League of Legends. lol

We'll hopefully play some SSF4 soon.

Also :lol at dementia's vid.

simtmb

pirateben said:
Kinda off topic, but just wanted to say that I've been hanging out with Gamerbee tonight and having a blast; we're currently in a game center playing League of Legends. lol

We'll hopefully play some SSF4 soon.

Also :lol at dementia's vid.

League of Legends ey? :D A mate of mine recently added him I'm sure after having a random match online vsing him and recognizing his name :lol 2g that he accepted the friend request from him. (He's an Adon player and we're both from AUS)

Damn, If only i could vs you guys and get rolled :(
xD

Kimosabae

Banned
AZ Greg said:
Tek responded to this well, but I want to add the way I see it. I really got into poker towards the end of High School/beginning of College when it blew up in popularity. As I got more into SF4 I noticed a lot of similarities (Of course poker does have more luck to it than SF) and posted about it at least once in the Vanilla thread. From reads, setups, and measuring risk vs. reward to offline/online play being extremely similar to live poker with real money vs. online poker with fake money, in terms of intelligent play when something is on the line vs. when nothing is on the line. Now it's starting to look like the scene is even going a similar route.

Poker always had its big yearly events and its group of pros who always participated, and generally dominated, with a mix of "normal" people who would enter and give it a shot. When poker exploded it wasn't because a poker pro won his 5th huge event in a row or something like that. It was because a normal average dude beat the pros and won. That feeling of anyone can do it is why it took off shortly after. I think the recent results could lead to something similar with SSF4. With other names winning, and it becoming apparent that tournaments here aren't free for Daigo, people will be more confident to learn, train, and then play rather then feel like nothing more than a pot monster if they did enter.

This is also in no way a "black eye" on the integrity of the game. If anything, it only goes to show how balanced the game is and that there isn't one strategy you can learn, ride to the top, and then stay there with.

As for the reputations of pro players if they continue to lose to "randoms"? They'll be fine as long as 2 things continue to happen: 1.) They consistently play/place solidly in big tournaments (Even if they don't necessarily win many or any) and 2.) Keep doing those "pro-like" things. With regards to the first point, Mike Ross might still be chasing the big one, but he still has a following that would lead you to believe he has won almost as much as Daigo. This is obviously partly due to his personality (Which is another way pros can remain relevant even if "randoms" are winning the big events) but it's also due to his consistently solid play. As tournaments get larger like they have since this fighting game resurgence, consistently finishing well in major tournaments is almost as impressive, if not more than, as winning one big one. And with regards to the second point, sure Gamerbee may have won the Ohio tournament (Not sure if he's considered a "random" or out of nowhere anymore) and FChamp won SCR (Who isn't a "random" or out of nowhere either), but the thing I'll remember most about the last few months is Daigo's cr.fierce xx super on Art's Sim. If pros keep doing "pro-like" stuff like that then their reputations will be fine even if they aren't dominating every event.

I respect your opinion and your desire for there to be a top dog to shoot for, but I think most people would rather have parity. Or at least the opportunity for parity if you put the work in. Though if I were strictly going to spectate SSF4 then maybe a new face winning every tournament would get boring. But if you're into the game beyond spectating then I don't see how this is anything but exciting.

All that said, I sorta touched on it, but it isn't like "randoms" are winning yet. Unless you consider Gamerbee and FChamp to be "randoms." :lol

You make good points. I guess I'm just fond of the era I was introduced to competitive gaming, and haven't accepted how drastically things have changed since then.

I started playing SoulCalibur 2 competitively, and in 03', players named Mick and RTD were the ones everyone was trying to beat. They simply figured the game out before everyone else did, and it gave the community as a whole definitive winners to study and goals to shoot for. It felt more competitive and more cohesive. Of course, "large" tournaments back then were considered to be about 50 people, so it was a different kind of competitive motivation. Chances were, you knew most people at the tournament you were attending through their forum screen name, reputation or one or two isolated videos (which were few and far between, so each one was more notable). There was no Youtube, and vid recording was limited to Grand Finals, if at all.

I guess I'm eager for someone to step up and provide a model for domination in SSF4. When I see the same shuffling of winners that tends to happen at low-levels (playing at gatherings, online, with friends) and weekly tournaments (Guard Crush) happening at majors, it makes me a bit uneasy.

ExMachina said:
Feels good opening up the Trial menu and seeing all those stars, doesn't it? :p

Which combo was your last one?
Yeah. My last 3 were
Ibuki 24, Blanka 24 - found these particularly hard because they required you to have the stick in neutral position... made it hard to do sjc ultra/charge afterwards in time
and Guile 20 - sonicboom xx super is retarded >:[

Dartastic

Pretty sure Timedog is taking part in a tournament today here in Portland at Ground Kontrol. I'm trying to find out if they're streaming it, but I can't seem to find the link. Wish I could go, but I'm stuck in the box office at work. =*(

IQxVP.jpg

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
In the "LOL, this guy has 'SRK' in his gamer tag" department:

Played "Mr Hibiki SRK" on XBL in Endless. I was Rose and he was Dee Jay. He ended up rage-quitting on me during the second round, because he couldn't seem to deal with projectiles and reflects, I guess. Sent him a message saying "pathetic" and he responded with this:

UHBcEl.jpg

I LOL'd since he stayed in the corner for most of the match.

You don't really get to show off your rage mail when you instigate it by messaging them and calling them "pathetic" first, even if he rage quit on you.

Word to Dudley players, don't always go for the bait against SRK characters. Three times in the past 2 days(1 from 2 days ago, 2 from today) I came back from the brink of defeat against Dudley players. In each occasion I could have been chipped to death but they were afraid of EX SRK(Ryu's, that is) so they would stay close and walk back or back dash. Each time I dashed forward and got a throw, I guess it surprised them. I think I got Floyd(Morro on GAF) a few days ago with that. I've been baited one too many times so I can smell that from a mile away now.

vulva

@lyte edge

I usually just ask if their connection is okay when someone rage quits. If you're being a cock to someone, showing them off as being a cock doesn't really hold much ground

Lyte Edge

Teknopathetic said:
You don't really get to show off your rage mail when you instigate it by messaging them and calling them "pathetic" first, even if he rage quit on you.

He played horribly, spending the majority of the match crouched in his corner/taunting/jumping...then his reply instigates that I stayed in the corner the whole time. :lol That's why I posted it.

Happy Phantom said:
@lyte edge

I usually just ask if their connection is okay when someone rage quits. If you're being a cock to someone, showing them off as being a cock doesn't really hold much ground

This was a clear rage-quit. He went back to the XBL menu and then went back to SSF4. It's not like I send messages to everyone who quits mid-game. He deserved it.

Typically I just block communications with people who quit and/or send hate mail, but I thought people might get a laugh out of this one. Oh well.

Rocwell

Rice-Eater said:
Word to Dudley players, don't always go for the bait against SRK characters. Three times in the past 2 days(1 from 2 days ago, 2 from today) I came back from the brink of defeat against Dudley players. In each occasion I could have been chipped to death but they were afraid of EX SRK(Ryu's, that is) so they would stay close and walk back or back dash. Each time I dashed forward and got a throw, I guess it surprised them. I think I got Floyd(Morro on GAF) a few days ago with that. I've been baited one too many times so I can smell that from a mile away now.
:lol You can probably thank me for that Floyd baits me pretty regularly.

vulva

Lyte Edge said:
This was a clear rage-quit. He went back to the XBL menu and then went back to SSF4. It's not like I send messages to everyone who quits mid-game. He deserved it.

Typically I just block communications with people who quit and/or send hate mail, but I thought people might get a laugh out of this one. Oh well.
I get that. I had a zangief with something like 15000 BP quit just as I was about to land an ultra to win the match. That said, why lower yourself to name calling and insults?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
OmnipotentO said:
Yeah. My last 3 were
Ibuki 24, Blanka 24 - found these particularly hard because they required you to have the stick in neutral position... made it hard to do sjc ultra/charge afterwards in time
and Guile 20 - sonicboom xx super is retarded >:[
Nice, SJCs into Ultra are always tricky to get down and I had trouble with the tougher charge character trials as well since I don't actually play non-motion chars. ^^;

marathonfool said:
http://imgur.com/IQxVP.jpg

Ridiculously awesome. :lol

tokido_murderface.gif

Lyte Edge

Happy Phantom said:
I get that. I had a zangief with something like 15000 BP quit just as I was about to land an ultra to win the match. That said, why lower yourself to name calling and insults?

All I said was "pathetic." Let's not act like I threw a flurry of insults his way. :lol This was one of the more-memorable stupid matches that I've had as of late. I wish I could have saved the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom