• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

USD

BLANKA

Unique Attacks
-Rock Slash (when close, F+MP) has less recovery. Rock Slash > far st.LP > Roll now combos.
-Amazon River Run (DF+HP) has less active frames, has less frames of movement. The hittable box when Blanka is pulling back is now larger
-Surprise Back (B+KKK) has slightly more grounded frames at the start, making it easier to throw

Specials
-Rolling Attack (straight ball) has a bigger hittable box during rotation
-The distance of the Rolling Attack rebound is now dependent on the strength of the attack. LP=EX>MP>HP
-EX Backstep Roll (rainbow ball) has slightly less forward movement, making it harder to use as an escape. You can still do the same back-and-forth movement as before, however.
-EX Electricity's startup is significantly faster

Axis

God's Beard said:
I wonder if Karakusa, Fierce xx Hayate FADC cLK xx EX Hayate, fukiage, U2, tsurugi, EX Hayate will work with the changes.

why would that work? you'll have to fadc to u2 after fukiage just like you have to now...enough theory fighting

USD

GEN

Mantis
-2 target combos added
-TC1 is cr.LK > cr.MK
-TC2 far/close HP (first hit) > far/close st.MK
-The respective MK are cancellable, so you can combine them with Specials
-During the startup of far/close st.LP, the hittable box from the elbow to tip has been cut, making it harder to stuff.
-cr.MP has a faster startup. far/close st.LP (or cr.LP) > cr.MP now link. Since cr.MP is cancellable, cr.MP > Hands is now better, regardless of whether it hits or is blocked
-far/close st.HK has slightly longer reach
-UC2's hitbox has been extended downward, making it less likely to whiff

Crane
-UC2 has faster movement

Other
-Is considered to be airborne immediately after the invincibility frames of his backdash end

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Eh? Abel nerfs wasn't necessary.

Switching back to Guile then.

Edgeward

Jesus at the Abel nerfs, other than breathless I didn't see a need for the others.

Also, great. Soon, all I will fight will be maks when playing with psn gaf. :lol

Mœbius

YES!

MijmP.jpg

Edgeward said:
Jesus at the Abel nerfs, other than breathless I didn't see a need for the others.

Also, great. Soon, all I will fight will be maks when playing with psn gaf. :lol

We do have allot of mak players on psn gaf :lol
Really happy about her buffs can't wait to play her .

USD

BLANKA

Unique Attacks
-Rock Slash (when close, F+MP) has less recovery. Rock Slash > far st.LP > Roll now combos.
-Amazon River Run (DF+HP) has less active frames, has less frames of movement. The hittable box when Blanka is pulling back is now larger
-Surprise Back (B+KKK) has slightly more grounded frames at the start, making it easier to throw

Specials
-The distance of the Rolling Attack rebound is now dependent on the strength of the attack. LP=EX>MP>HP
-EX Backstep Roll (rainbow ball) has slightly less forward movement, making it harder to use as an escape. You can still do the same back-and-forth movement as before, however.

ABEL

Normals
-The second hit of cr.HP has a smaller attack box

Specials
-Tornado Throw does less damage
-Marseilles Roll's hit invincibility at the end of roll has been cut (the actual recovery is still the same).

Ultra Combos
-Soulless does 10% less damage
-Breathless does 10% less damage and has a slower startup. It no longer has Armor during his charge forward, and has more recovery on both whiff and cancel

GEN

Mantis
-2 target combos added
-TC1 is cr.LK > cr.MK.
-During the startup of far/close st.LP, the hittable box from the elbow to tip has been cut, making it harder to stuff.
-cr.MP has a faster startup. far/close st.LP (or cr.LP) > cr.MP now link. Since cr.MP is cancellable, cr.MP > Hands is now better, regardless of whether it hits or is blocked

Crane
-UC2 has faster movement

Other
-Is considered to be airborne immediately after the invinicibility frames of his backdash end

MAKOTO

Normals
-cr.LK has more range
-st.LK is now kara-cancellable
-cr.HK attack box extended downward, and the damage box has been lowered slightly, making it easier to use as an anti-air
-cr.HP has slightly more active frames
-F+LP has a 3 frame startup (formerly 4 frames)

Specials
-EX Hayate is now armor-break, has a slightly faster startup
-Fukiage, when the arm is fully extended, the hittable box from her chest up is now barely there, while the attack box is extended downward, so there are now almost no cases where it trades or is stuffed. It still can't hit grounded opponents however. The start up for all versions have been revised (I'd assume to be faster)
-EX Tsurugi is now similar to EX Cannon Strike in what height the technique can be executed (instant EX Tsurugi?)

Ultra Combos
-UC1 damage distribution has been changed. It still does the same total damage, but the change will show its effect when the scaling kicks in.
-UC2 has a faster startup

Other
-Now has 1000 Health (up from 950)
-The movement frames for forward and back dash have been reduced very slightly (making them faster). Because of this, now HP Hayate > FADC > cr.LK (and some other normals) > LP Hayate now combos. This vastly improves her mix-up game (throw or attack?)

Other
-1000 Health
-The movement frames for forward and back dash have been reduced very slightly (making them faster). Because of this, now HP Hayate > FADC > cr.LK (and some other normals) > LP Hayate now combos. This vastly improves her mix-up game (throw or attack?)

Next week is Zangief, Sagat, Dan, and Dudley.

So i caught up on last weeks blog and then this weeks.

I like how someone asked a question about Fuertes Tortilla invincibility and they were like "Sorry its shitty.. lolol learn how to use his new normals (like a 3f cr. jab?) cause you know.. thats exactly what the fuck I want to do with Fuerte.. :(

Also like how SRK's are now throw invincible? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Oh well.. Least Cody is getting buffed.. and I may go back to Gen with these changes.

USD

TurtleSnatcher said:
Also like how SRK's are now throw invincible? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
That's nothing new though. You most certainly can't throw them out of startup, it's only while they're in mid-air (and no longer invincible) that you can possibly throw them.

Reposting for the new page; thx USD

USD said:
BLANKA

Unique Attacks

Specials

ABEL

Normals
-cr.HP has a smaller attack box

Specials
-Tornado Throw does less damage
-Marseilles Roll's hit invincibility at the end of roll has been cut (the actual recovery is still the same).

Ultra Combos
-Soulless does 10% less damage
-Breathless does 10% less damage and has a slower startup. It no longer has Armor during his charge forward, and has more recovery on both whiff and cancel

GEN

Mantis
-2 target combos added
-TC1 is cr.LK > cr.MK.

Crane
-UC2 has faster movement

Other
-Is considered to be airborne immediately after the invinicibility frames of his backdash end

MAKOTO

Normals
-cr.LK has more range
-st.LK is now kara-cancellable
-cr.HK attack box extended, and the damage box has been lowered slightly, making it easier to use as an anti-air
-cr.HP has slightly more active frames
-F+LP has a 3 frame startup (formerly 4 frames)

Specials
-EX Hayate is now armor-break, has a slightly faster startup
-Fukiage, when the arm is fully extended, the hittable box from her chest up is now barely there, while the attack box is extended, so there are now almost no cases where it trades or is stuffed. It still can't hit grounded opponents however. The start up for all versions have been revised (I'd assume to be faster)
-EX Tsurugi is now similar to EX Cannon Strike in what height the technique can be executed (instant EX Tsurugi?)
-UC1 damage distribution has been changed. It still does the same total damage, but because of the change, will do more when the scaling kicks in.
-UC2 has a faster startup

Other
-1000 Health

Next week is Zangief, Sagat, Dan, and Dudley.

I would have been happy with the U2 dmg nerf for Abel.

Makoto's stock is rising.

Gonna be a fun week of updates in the next installment

USD

The important points from this week's Q&A:

E.Honda
(Nothing important, thought it talked about the different possibilities with LP Headbutt, since now it completely avoids lows)

Gouken
-No changes to UC1, UC2
-The first hit of diagonal jump MP is now cancellable, j.MP (first hit) xx mid-air Tatsu now possible

Rose
-Because of the invincibility time cut, she can be hit immediately after activation, preventing the Soul Satellite orbs from coming out at all.

Ibuki
-Jump-back Kunai doesn't have more recovery, she just has a more vertical drop after throwing the Kunai than before
-No changes to her backdash

_Xenon_

Banned
So basically the plan for each update is:

at least one character gets mostly buffed
week 1: guy, viper
week 2: feilong, juri
week 3: sakura, cody
week 4: gouken
week 5: gen, makoto

at least one character gets mostly nerfed
week 1: boxer
week 2: rufus
week 3: chunli
week 4: honda, rose
week 5: abel

at least one character gets some kinda bad trade-offs
week 1: ryu, cammy
week 2: ken, claw
week 3: elf
week 4: ibuki
week 5: blanka

My prediction for next week:
buff: Dan
nerf: Dudley
trade off: Zengief, Sagat

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Abel's cr. fierce didn't need a nerf. :| that's some character breaking shit right there.

Happy about the mak buffs though, hopefully they won't ruin Adon so I can have two characters I'll be able to play in this game. :3

kitzkozan

_Xenon_ said:
My prediction for next week:
buff: Dan
nerf: Dudley
trade off: Zengief, Sagat

Nope,more like:

buff: Dudley
nerf: nobody should be hit hard
trade off: Dan,Zangief,Sagat.

Dan is the joke character which Capcom is happy to see as the gutter trash tier. :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Any tips for a starting Gouken player? Besides "pick another character." =P I've read through the usual sites, but any additional tips gained through playing?

Rocwell

Lost Fragment said:
ex hayate would have to combo from cr.lk too, and I don't see that happening.
You might be able to combo ex hayate off of standing lk now though so you can get a lv 2 charge lp hayate off of it which is 2 frames faster than ex hayate currently. I can't remember if you can get a lv 2 lp hayate off a crouching lp or lk though.

very psyched for these makoto changes, can't wait to see what kind of setups people come up with now that they can kara lk like in 3rd strike. Also the improvements on her anti-airs is really nice. Hopefully I can learn how to use her fukiage now without getting stuffed every time I try to use it :lol

:Edit:

Taken from vryu's post on srk:

vryu said:
HP hayate FADC crLK = 2hits combo (because of faster dash).

That means dash is at least 1 frame faster (because at the moment, HP hayate FADC is at +3).

that means
- MP oroshi FADC stHP/ultra1 will work (against standing opponent)
- HP hayate FADC stLP -> stMP will work

Btw... Nothing to improve her defense in the buff list.......................

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
USD said:
That's nothing new though. You most certainly can't throw them out of startup, it's only while they're in mid-air (and no longer invincible) that you can possibly throw them.
But the post was about tortilla which is his grab on the ground. The way they responded made it sound like you can't grab ryu even during his srk startup (FP SRK) like you can in super and vanilla.

You are thinking guacamole leg throw. Two diff moves. Talking bout when he is in the air. Of course tortilla won't work then. Doesn't even grab them now since they are in the air

very nice about makoto. Hopefully she will become much more useable. I liked her but gave up trying to win with her. She is a pure "for fun" character in SSF4. If I win it's awesome but I don't expect it.

Glad the honda nerfs weren't too bad. Was it ever said if they are going to reduce damage across the board or was it more for specials and normals were going to not be as affected?

I think his normals damage is okay but the specials need a nerf, especially headbutt and hands. Otherwise honda is just fine, imo. People see the damage off hands and EX headbutt reversals and cry foul but his plain normals do appropriate damage considering his lack of combos.

USD

GBX_AdamF said:
But the post was about tortilla which is his grab on the ground. The way they responded made it sound like you can't grab ryu even during his srk startup (FP SRK) like you can in super and vanilla.

You are thinking guacamole leg throw. Two diff moves. Talking bout when he is in the air. Of course tortilla won't work then. Doesn't even grab them now since they are in the air
I know that, but I was taking about DPs in general. DPs have some 4-6 total frames of throw invincibility, it's impossible to throw them while they are considered grounded. I'm not a Fuerte or Ryu player, but to my knowledge it's not possible to do so, in all versions of SF4.

USD said:
Rose
-Because of the invincibility time cut, she can be hit immediately after activation, preventing the Soul Satellite orbs from coming out at all.
Ugh seriously Capcom, so now it's know longer a get the hell off me move and won't do anything unless you make a good read early enough on the opponent. So you might as well use cr.hp to at least trade or something making U2 pretty much useless now.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Kintaro said:
Any tips for a starting Gouken player? Besides "pick another character." =P I've read through the usual sites, but any additional tips gained through playing?
Yeah, watch some decent Gouken's for funky combos and mix-ups like STG said.

In starting out especially, learn to be patient as well - cr.FP is a nice anti-air, and neutral j.FP is a nice anything.
He doesn't have a great wake-up game, so you don't wanna be knocked down too often (especially against mix-up characters). If you can't read for a parry or EX tatsu, your best bet is probably EX flip, but it's still not the safest thing in the world.

Should stress again being patient - Gouken is good at capitalising on mistakes and dishing out big combo damage. Wait for those moments, and try not to develop bad habits too early by rushing in (I still do this a lot and pay for it!)

Take your time; Gouken is chill, and you can be too. He may not be top-tier, but according to AE buffs he may well become 'formidable'. He's already great fun to watch in the right hands, and as long as you don't play him like any other Shoto, you should enjoy him :)

Edit: Btw, many thanks to USD for the continued translation support. Good skills bro! Return of the Mak indeed :D

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Rocwell said:
You might be able to combo ex hayate off of standing lk now though so you can get a lv 2 charge lp hayate off of it which is 2 frames faster than ex hayate currently. I can't remember if you can get a lv 2 lp hayate off a crouching lp or lk though.

very psyched for these makoto changes, can't wait to see what kind of setups people come up with now that they can kara lk like in 3rd strike. Also the improvements on her anti-airs is really nice. Hopefully I can learn how to use her fukiage now without getting stuffed every time I try to use it :lol

:Edit:

Taken from vryu's post on srk:

If he's right about option selecting backdashes with fukiage that would be pretty huge. That shit leads to crazy amounts of damage/stun.

jlai

Aeris130 said:
Holy fucking shit, Makoto S tier? They basically took every move that sucked and made it good.

hahah, lets not get carried away now. don't get me wrong, i'm happy with the buffs but she still doesn't have any viable reversals. walk up throw > mak!

Aeris130

jlai said:
hahah, lets not get carried away now. don't get me wrong, i'm happy with the buffs but she still doesn't have any viable reversals. walk up throw > mak!

I'll take whatever I can get at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom